AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

MFC rooms are getting more and more quiet

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CuteHerminie

Cam Model
Mar 16, 2014
profiles.myfreecams.com
Twitter Username
@cuteherminie
MFC Username
CuteHerminie
Lately (weeks, months) MFC room became really quiet for me, is really hard to get anyone to talk in room. I feel like something is changing and in bad. People talk less and less, they don't interact at all. Sometimes i have 60 premiums in room( not mentioning basics & guests) and no one talks at all. Is like they are waiting for someone else to talk, to break the ice, to tip and so they get something to watch. I don't think is just me who see this happening. I've been camming for 5 years and i honestly had more active room in my first 2 years when i wasn't popular in any way and i had no idea what i was doing.

Of course I've been putting alot of thinking in this and thought on how to change but nothing came out. Like i can talk and be energetic, but no one reply, they just sit and listen.Occasionally one says something like " you're so fun to listen to". Gee, thank you. I understand that members come to MFC to get something they want and maybe thats enough, just to sit silent in a room and observe.

I even made theories of what the reason of this might be (with quiet room, I had alot time to think about it lol). I was thinking that maybe members are intimidated by models.And i don't mean by their beauty only, but because of the power models have over the room. Like they not only gotta have tokens to be noticed but also to be liked somehow by the model.Tokens isn't a guarantee they are gonna be part of the room group. And they maybe don't talk because they know model have the power to block them at any point they chose to. So, i better shut up then say something stupid, right? I try to make everyone welcome but I will admit some sometimes have absolutely nothing good to say and they just kill the mood, so i understand them.
I was thinking of a guy having some money to spare comes to MFC and theres a ton of girls, he picks one and wants to have fun. But then he learn that no she doesn't do that, she has her own personal rules, other then site general rules. And that every room and model is different and suddenly having money and willing to spend isn't enough.Model he chose doesn't do private, or only does at schedule. Other model doesn't like way he talks, is too rude and she blocks him. And now he feels like having a wank ain't that easy at it seemed. So he prefer to lie back and just become a observer.

I'd like if possible hear some members opinion on this, why they feel like being an observer rather then a participant. Personally I'm a socially anxious person in daily life, I'm working to overcome that and I understand that just being an observer might be easier but is less rewarding, no one will acknowledge you, and don't we all want to be noticed somehow?

Camming is up and down like any sales/commissions job. At the time you were camming, a lot of guys were broke, cheap, lonely and bored. Also, because of all documentaries on camming, and the enticement of making money, there are way more girls now trying to be successful cam girls so the slice of the pie is getting smaller for all.

Ride out the slump for as long as you can. Think about splitcamming or changing to other sites. Only the top 1% of girls make the majority of the money on MFC. Think of ways to stand out from the others. Eventually a lot of girls will quit and the pool will get smaller. Plus, you never know when that whale will come into your room and bam, you meet your goal for the entire day or even month for the rest of your career.

I just realized you were asking for member opinions, my apologies.

My favorite thing to do on mfc is talk to the models. I enjoy that even more than any sexual shows. I like to tip girls whose personality I enjoy rather than for anything sexual. But it seems more and more as soon as I enter rooms I am either hit with a pm asking for tips or the model is berating the room in general for not tipping. Takes the enjoyment out of trying to get to know someone a little. I'm not talking about something silly like looking for love, just a little friendliness. As a result I just interact with the few models i can relate to.

I like to tip but can't afford to do it every time I enter a room. Maybe I could if I just tipped a few tokens and saved the rest for the next time. But every time I buy tokens, regardless of how many, I give them all to whichever model I'm talking to.

I like talking

Sometimes I'm conscious of the fact I might be talking too much :shhh:

I do find it weird how 90% of premium don't say anything publicy, then probably 9 of the 10% left just say stupid things you can't really give much of a response to

I guess as a model all you can do really is when someone says "how are you?" don't just say "good, you?" say, "I'm fine, just had to go get some groceries but they were out of my favourite cookies, so I'm a bit miffed"

Then you open the door to a world of grocery shopping conversation and what your favourite cookie is etc

Not the most exciting example but if you want to make it easier for everyone in the room to start talking then I think you have to talk as much as you can when given the opportunity and that will hopefully open avenues to conversations.

Try not to let it get to you (or at least try not to let on that it's getting to you) and always try to keep the conversation going. I think any model, no matter their camscore, will inevitably find themselves going through stretches where room count, and thus talking/tipping members are at a minimum. I've seen models ride it out, change things up, spark up interesting conversation during the lulls, and ultimately get things back on track. I've also seen models take things personally, become angry that members either aren't talking or aren't visiting, and before they know it they find themselves in a vicious cycle where they're perpetually frustrated because their room is quiet and their room is perpetually quiet because they're always frustrated. Try not to get sucked in to that cycle, as I imagine it's pretty hard to claw yourself out of.

I once saw a model recommend creating conversation out of nothing if the room simply isn't playing ball. Have a list of topics you can talk about and think people will want to talk about, and pretend you're having that conversation with someone in PM (talking aloud to the imaginary person in the PM window that the rest of the room conveniently can't see). With any luck, other members will hopefully start to join in the conversation :thumbleft:

I literally talk to myself about the most random stuff and just dance to my music by myself and eventually people start talking. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes sometimes only 2 but I just keep moving it along. You could even unmute basics for a bit they love to chat.

Personally as I models and I've got a full room and nobody's talking I call them out. Like quite literally, one by one by their username. Some of them just leave them room but the majority plays along.

However, I do have a Premium account and I know that interacting it's not easy! Sometimes if it's too quite you feel exposed or feel like the burden to get a conversation going is on your shoulders. That's why I ask a lot of questions as a model: everybody enjoys telling things about themselves or sharing facts etc.
Another situation that makes me shy as a user is when there a a couple of regulars in the room chatting with the model and it feels like they're doing their own thing and I'm being an intruder or my presence is not that important.

I don't talk much, if at all in public chat but then don't shut up when in private. Has nothing to do with intimidation or worry of being expected to tip. Main reasons I don't talk
-conversation is something I'm not interested in usually
-don't understand in jokes
-very few models are entertaining/interesting enough to keep my full attention
-don't want to talk too much
-don't want to be the only one talking in public chat
-usually doing multiple other things that rank as more important
-feels like work when you are expected to talk all the time

A few other things but I'm sure you get the idea. And just to be clear here, I can only stand public chat for about 15 minutes in each room so I'm not just camping out all silent for long periods.

I can't really think of anything that will make the quieter guys start talking but you can try bringing up music or tv shows or something that has general appeal. Can even ask dumb questions that you already know the answers to, see this alot. Could try some new approaches but something to keep in mind is that most people at camsites have zero desire to talk or interact with any of the girls, sucks but it's just something that has to be kept in mind. I get that I'm not the average customer but it can't hurt to have more opinions.

This is a bit off topic but I do agree that it is much too easy to get banned or put on ignore on MFC. Of course, a model should have the ability to ban abusive or rude members but it should only be done as a last resort and, in most situations, the member should at least be given a warning first.

I think it was a bad idea when MFC introduced the permanent ban and gave models the ability to allow a member to ban other members. Why make it easier to alienate customers rather than encourage an environment of tolerance and self-policing?

First of all, the trolls and freeloaders don’t care and bans are fairly easy to defeat anyways (who doesn’t know how to change their IP?). The only premium members that are truly banned are the ones who use a single account and they are the very same members who are most likely to chat and tip. And they can still watch as a guest if they wish so they are only banned from tipping and chatting.

I think there is a difference between someone who is a serial troll and the member who makes a couple of stupid or ill-timed comments but they both get the same punishment, the permanent ban or ignore. The only difference is that the troll will find his way back but the legitimate member is gone forever.

If a model is only comfortable receiving compliments and the mundane “how’s the weather” chat, so be it. Or perhaps they prefer the company of a small group of regulars. There’s nothing wrong with that but it makes for a boring room that discourages newcomers and interaction in general.

And, yes, I have been on the wrong end of the “ban hammer” more than a few times.

PS I am sure you are aware that MFC is the only cam site that easily allows a member to be in multiple rooms at the same time so while a member is on the chat roster it doesn’t necessarily mean they are watching (or listening to) your feed.

I have this book I got from a board game. It's called "WTF" and its kinda like "would you rather" but the questions are really gross and weird.
For example: What would you rather juggle? a) 4 severed raccoon heads or b) 3 baby porcupines
That usually gets conversation going pretty quickly :lol:
Music is also a great way to get people to chat in your room. I have had members stay in my room for HOURS simply because I was playing "their jams". I rarely play recent and new music, I usually have a songza playlist of classic rock or cheesy 80's sing alongs. Most people feel nostalgic and all happy go lucky when they hear some feel good tunes.

I realize you're not really asking what to do in a quiet room but why the rooms are quiet. That's just how I've come to cope with the slow days, and it usually gets new people to pipe in too. Because you don't really get asked questions liked that, and with a question like that there is no "dumb" answer so the risk of being banned doesn't really exist.
I totally agree with your statement though of men becoming observers because of certain interactions on the website. That makes sense and I bet that the exact scenario you laid out has happened more than once.
I think it's probably a mix of lots of things. This kind of sex work is becoming less stigmatized, more girls are hearing about their friends doing and subsequently becoming interested in it themselves. I got into camming through a friend, and I've quite a few friends approach me about starting.
But. I think the burn out rate is really high, so I don't know if that's the reason for slow rooms. Camming seems easy, but we as models know that it's really not as easy as it seems.

Edit: I just saw this
PS I am sure you are aware that MFC is the only cam site that easily allows a member to be in multiple rooms at the same time so while a member is on the chat roster it doesn’t necessarily mean they are watching (or listening to) your feed.

Yuuuup and it's really discouraging to watch certain members view you in PM DAY AFTER DAY but never tip or come say hi.

ItsBillyBitch said:

I was coming here to post about this very thing, so I'll have to second it. I personally have never done this, just for the fact that it would get too overwhelming for me.

I think that, for a lot of members, just coming into a room can be intimidating at times; so talking, well that's a whole other thing. I believe that, with MFC especially, the interactive part gets lost on some. It's almost like watching a TV show with chatty regulars being kind of part of the show. There may even be the mentality, that 'if i don't talk, maybe I won't have to tip' or something.

I can see trying to integrate into a room that already has a bunch of regulars can be overwhelming for someone new. The "in jokes" and the vibe can be a deterrent to some. So tbh, as a long time regular in a room, I try to keep that kind of thing in mind.
On the flip side, a room with no real regulars, and hardly any talking, can be just as intimidating for other reasons. Being the only member talking in a room an be a lot of pressure to try and keep the conversation going.

Hmmm this post became kind of a ramble....but I'll leave it here anyway :p

ItsBillyBitch said:
This is a bit off topic but I do agree that it is much too easy to get banned or put on ignore on MFC. Of course, a model should have the ability to ban abusive or rude members but it should only be done as a last resort and, in most situations, the member should at least be given a warning first.

I think it was a bad idea when MFC introduced the permanent ban and gave models the ability to allow a member to ban other members. Why make it easier to alienate customers rather than encourage an environment of tolerance and self-policing?

First of all, the trolls and freeloaders don’t care and bans are fairly easy to defeat anyways (who doesn’t know how to change their IP?). The only premium members that are truly banned are the ones who use a single account and they are the very same members who are most likely to chat and tip. And they can still watch as a guest if they wish so they are only banned from tipping and chatting.

I think there is a difference between someone who is a serial troll and the member who makes a couple of stupid or ill-timed comments but they both get the same punishment, the permanent ban or ignore. The only difference is that the troll will find his way back but the legitimate member is gone forever.

If a model is only comfortable receiving compliments and the mundane “how’s the weather” chat, so be it. Or perhaps they prefer the company of a small group of regulars. There’s nothing wrong with that but it makes for a boring room that discourages newcomers and interaction in general.

And, yes, I have been on the wrong end of the “ban hammer” more than a few times.
In my nearly 4 years of experience camming, being quick with the banhammer/ignore feature is actually a great tool in creating a chatty room atmosphere. I've been way too lenient in the past letting guys disrupt the chatroom with nonsense and drive other people away because they weren't doing anything "wrong." It's far better to have a silent room than having one really annoying guy chatting. I'm way less inclined to talk if I feel the sort of personalities that make up a room bother me as opposed to it just being quiet.

edited to add: I don't think I've ever had a troll try to come back after putting them on ignore. I can't recall that ever happening. They feed off of energy so not even acknowledging them and putting them on ignore is a pretty surefire guarantee they'll just move on.

ItsBillyBitch said:
First of all, the trolls and freeloaders don’t care and bans are fairly easy to defeat anyways (who doesn’t know how to change their IP?).
I think you might be giving your average camsite user a little too much credit in regards to this part but I agree with most of your post. Hard to not laugh when a model bans a troll and then acts like it really accomplished anything besides making the dude watch your show as a guest. I'm glad mfc gave models more options and am glad when models ban disruptive/annoying people but if a guy wants to watch you, banning him isn't really going to stop him. Models can control what happens in their room but ultimately have no control over who is watching them. Which sucks I guess but even worse is knowing that the majority of people watching you will never tip or even talk. Camming is a fucked up job man, how cool would it be if everyone that watches you had to pay or at least talk? Pretty cool I guess.

The mobile video feed on the iphone makes chatting impossible. I know many of my regs access my feed from their phone and find chatting means they can't watch me. It sucks. I think this is *partly* responsible for more silent types

Miss_Lollipop said:
The mobile video feed on the iphone makes chatting impossible. I know many of my regs access my feed from their phone and find chatting means they can't watch me. It sucks. I think this is *partly* responsible for more silent types

I really wish they'd make mobile feed and HD optional again :/

I have to broadcast in shitty quality OR turn mobile on>_>

I've actually noticed a LARGE amount of girls on twitter talking about this. Not many people talking or tipping lately. No idea why.

Edit: or at least, i have no definitive answers beyond what's been theorized.

Reactions: Starling
Everything has already been said

I need to find a way to play Cards Against Humanity with a model and members on MFC, it would be so fun and break the ice even with total strangers

Don't mind me it's 2am + insomnia this week.

Miss_Lollipop said:

This. The last time I tried the mobile site, my chat and tips were delayed by a half minute or so. This makes it pointless to try and actually participate using the mobile site. Maybe they've improved it--I just haven't been back

It seems like the rooms with the most active chat are those with a good base of regulars, and that the quality and quantity of the chat emerges from the members' interaction with each other at least as much as from the model's efforts to maintain a conversation. Of course, the rooms with regulars are often afflicted with barriers to entry by non-regulars (in jokes, unwritten rules, etc.). Even with lots of regulars, only a small proportion of the members in a room will actively chat at any given time.

A good point was made by PunkinDrublic above concerning the time it takes to be a regular and active chat participant. Even if I'm not working and have ample free time, I am still reluctant to spend more than an hour in a room, and even that's only in my favorite rooms. I have too much else to do, and often there just isn't sufficient "payoff" for sitting/talking in a room for a long time. And as an older person (55), I often can't relate to what's being discussed (the latest video games, etc.).

An excellent suggestion someone made above was to allow members in the room to make music requests for a small tip (25 tokens?). This allows members to participate in a small but meaningful way, without having to actively chat if they don't want to. Having a good playlist or member requests can really help the vibe of the room, and almost everyone can talk about music they like. I like PoppyBryers' room partly due to the music she plays (including member requests)--mostly 60s-80s classic/progressive rock. Yes, we've all heard some of those songs 10,000 times, but it still makes me want to stay and at least enjoy the music and offer my own requests.

Osmia said:
Miss_Lollipop said:

This. The last time I tried the mobile site, my chat and tips were delayed by a half minute or so. This makes it pointless to try and actually participate using the mobile site. Maybe they've improved it--I just haven't been back
Ha I had this problem once, I think it was in Lily's room, she was making some tip games, like tip XYZ in the next 5mn, but what I didn't know is that the mobile video feed is like 15-30sec late regarding the "normal" stream, so all my tips were coming too late.

Lately when I'm on MFC I've had members ask me to change to switch to another site because it has had so much lag and conversation has been too difficult.

RebeccaT said:
Lately when I'm on MFC I've had members ask me to change to switch to another site because it has had so much lag and conversation has been too difficult.
That's true too… if MFC didn't have such a monopole on interesting models and such popularity (and maybe the camscore system), I don't think it would do as good as now… it's fucking 2015 and they are still streaming on 320×240 and some days, yeah it stutters a lot.

eclipse76 said:
Everything has already been said

I need to find a way to play Cards Against Humanity with a model and members on MFC, it would be so fun and break the ice even with total strangers

Don't mind me it's 2am + insomnia this week.

I won't chime in about the quietness thing except to say that I do agree that it's something in which I've noticed a sharp change.

I just wanna say I play this in my room! People still don't talk to me or jump in, but I play it! :lol:

DeadRinga said:
Somebody just dropped this one on me that i overlooked, and no one else I spoke to seemed to notice either. In the US it's just a month past tax deadline time. April 15th.

....But most especially those getting refunds file as soon as they get their W-2's. I did mine in Feb.

Not_Reqd said:
DeadRinga said:
Somebody just dropped this one on me that i overlooked, and no one else I spoke to seemed to notice either. In the US it's just a month past tax deadline time. April 15th.

....But most especially those getting refunds file as soon as they get their W-2's. I did mine in Feb.

Yep! Generally, people who are getting a refund file as soon as possible, whereas people paying in tend to put it off until near the deadline. And a lot of people with disposable income that they spend on camsites are business owners or have non-traditional income that they have to pay taxes on.

Miss_Lollipop said:

Never thought about that before and now I'm having a total DUH moment.

When members watch on their phones, they can't really chat. Well, they can but it freezes the cam so that only one still goes through every 30 seconds, and pretty sure that the sound cuts out too. Not really a great way to watch a model you like.

It seems like more and more members aren't chatting as they find out about mobile use. Sometimes I call the room out on not chatting (like if there's 70-100 people and ZERO talkers), and often enough I get a message from someone about how they can't type and watch on their phone at once.

MFC needs to either let us disable mobile use, make apps, or figure out some way to make their streaming service work. And for my second wish...a pony!

PunkInDrublic said:
ItsBillyBitch said:
First of all, the trolls and freeloaders don’t care and bans are fairly easy to defeat anyways (who doesn’t know how to change their IP?).
I think you might be giving your average camsite user a little too much credit in regards to this part but I agree with most of your post. Hard to not laugh when a model bans a troll and then acts like it really accomplished anything besides making the dude watch your show as a guest. I'm glad mfc gave models more options and am glad when models ban disruptive/annoying people but if a guy wants to watch you, banning him isn't really going to stop him. Models can control what happens in their room but ultimately have no control over who is watching them. Which sucks I guess but even worse is knowing that the majority of people watching you will never tip or even talk. Camming is a fucked up job man, how cool would it be if everyone that watches you had to pay or at least talk? Pretty cool I guess.
Trolls are WAY more interesting and fun than idiot cock gif mm bb's, too. I think most people would rather have fun with trolls than deal with a room full of moronic cum shots and weird french kissing gifs with sparkly flowers.

or maybe that's just me... :lol:

JoleneBrody said:
PunkInDrublic said:
ItsBillyBitch said:
Trolls are WAY more interesting and fun than idiot cock gif mm bb's, too. I think most people would rather have fun with trolls than deal with a room full of moronic cum shots and weird french kissing gifs with sparkly flowers.

or maybe that's just me... :lol:
Ha, I love trolls too! I got one the other day that was super fun to play with and the room went from "fuck this guy" to "I love this guy! let's keep him!"

Unfortunately, lots of trolls end of leaving when they realize you're having fun playing with them and he ran away. I should put up flyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.