AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Models, when is it appropriate for a member to give stream feedback/advice to the model?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 57885

Hi everyone,

Given how independent camming & misc. is, it's no surprise that there are several different levels of experience and/or quality per the gig. I.e. someone may struggle with lighting, audio, getting a clear stream, etc. etc.. There are several aspects, and it's arguably rare to find someone with an absolute-ideal quality setup. It's also no secret people like sharing opinions and expressing their thoughts, but thoughts like unsolicited advice can also evoke annoyance.

So, I have a question to all the models out there-- when is advice from a member regarding a stream itself appreciated, and when is it loathed?
Example: in what scenario would you be cool with a member saying something like "Honestly, I wish you would turn down the gain to stop the clipping, and have another light to reduce the graininess of the picture." (If there isn't one, please say!)

On a scale of "random grey (tokenless) user says this unsolicited in public chat" to "longtime regular user says this after model asks for advice", where does giving advice about the stream quality fall? If it's more nuanced, like if it depends more just on the type of advice, please feel free to share!

Reactions: anabeauty37
I think it is hard to give a universal answer to this question but here are a few things to consider:

1) why do you want to fix their cam? Some of your advice might be your personal preference or what your brain tells you “should” be better or work better, but you don’t have the experience and making something work sometimes takes counter-intuitive tactics. Example: your brain tells you high quality cam should be better than potato cam for her room. Well, in reality sometimes a potato cam works better because members love the amateur feel.

2) how successful is the model? If she is successful doing her thing on her own terms she might not need any advice from a member. She knows what she is doing. On the other hand a failing model could feel bad about getting advice like her failure is obvious to onlookers, so even if you are tactful she might resent you. New models are the most receptive crowd cause the don’t know what they are doing and their ego isn’t invested in the outcome yet.

3) it’s always better to give feedback privately and when she isn’t streaming. Send her an MFC mail or contact her through socials if you are on CB. She will have time to read, react privately, process the information and decide what to do with it. On cam there’s too much going on, too many things happening at once and she may not have the capacity to handle everything plus a dash of criticism.. so you might get a negative response.

I listen to all (no matter who) all let it sits in my mind. I have dim lighting, if someone says its too dark, well I intended it that way, and lots of other members will say they like it that way, that's what's creates the mood etc. (its just an example). I always listen and assess and then decide if the comments/advice are confirming that even though it doesn't please everybody, it is having the feel/effect I wished, or if I could improve from what they are saying. I don't discriminate on the "level" of the guest/member, as that is irrelevant overall.
You can always learn by at least considering all feedback and filtering them with what you envisioned initially, or where you can improve no matter how you started.
The model is the one making the decision in the end.
If someone says its this or that, and his references of what is great are things I cannot relate to or don't value, well, his comments won't worth much to me. Example: his favorite food is McDonald and he is telling me I should REALLY try whatever restaurant, I might not bother if its so far away from what is a good restaurant in my book. :haha:
Its all about putting things in perspective.

As a model, uou cannot change all each time there is any comment, because you will never end. Though you can learn lots by considering and assessing. You can even try something totally different for a day or few, and see the overall feedback. Testing (when you feel appropriate) can never hurt.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Given how independent camming & misc. is, it's no surprise that there are several different levels of experience and/or quality per the gig. I.e. someone may struggle with lighting, audio, getting a clear stream, etc. etc.. There are several aspects, and it's arguably rare to find someone with an absolute-ideal quality setup. It's also no secret people like sharing opinions and expressing their thoughts, but thoughts like unsolicited advice can also evoke annoyance.

So, I have a question to all the models out there-- when is advice from a member regarding a stream itself appreciated, and when is it loathed?
Example: in what scenario would you be cool with a member saying something like "Honestly, I wish you would turn down the gain to stop the clipping, and have another light to reduce the graininess of the picture." (If there isn't one, please say!)

On a scale of "random grey (tokenless) user says this unsolicited in public chat" to "longtime regular user says this after model asks for advice", where does giving advice about the stream quality fall? If it's more nuanced, like if it depends more just on the type of advice, please feel free to share!
I love and appreciate this type of feedback so much! Sometimes we don’t notice these things; especially me I’m still learning. I think personally if you send it in a tip note so I can go back and reference what you said would be best.

You're going to tell someone "I wish you would turn down the gain to stop the clipping" and the vast majority of the inexperienced ones aren't going to know what you are talking about. I assume you're talking about audio gain and audio clipping but you say that to someone that doesn't know what that is you're going to see the camera get darker :giggle:

You're going to tell someone "I wish you would turn down the gain to stop the clipping" and the vast majority of the inexperienced ones aren't going to know what you are talking about. I assume you're talking about audio gain and audio clipping but you say that to someone that doesn't know what that is you're going to see the camera get darker :giggle:
When I was originally writing the example, I mentioned something about compressing the audio, but then I realized that would likely confuse a good amount of people. Maybe I should have just said 'volume' in the example ... even though people interchangeably using the words gain and volume is a pet peeve of mine lol

I only like feedback if it's being glitchy on the site and I'm not aware of it. Mostly it's personal preference with lighting. I have a DSLR as my main cam so I can do lower light and quick movement without the video doing the ripping or going grainy. My audio is pro and I don't play music loud at all so I don't get complaints about that either. I'll only turn my music up if they request a song. Meh, I really only like feedback for glitches (that is really really appreciated!!) And everything else is usually someone's esthetics.

For me, I like feedback if it's something that's negatively impacting my stream right this second, I'm unaware of it, and I can do something to fix it. Things like the audio being out of sync or having a glitchy/laggy stream make the show unwatchable and can usually be fixed if I refresh the site, so I want to know about those. Anything else, not so much. I recently had a member who has never talked to me before and never tipped in my room go on and on about how much he wants me to stream in 1080. Bruh, my laptop can't handle that, and you haven't given me a single token so I really don't care about your opinion. kthxbye.

"Honestly, I wish you would turn down the gain to stop the clipping, and have another light to reduce the graininess of the picture."
I agree on most what was said above and wanted to comment specifically on the way you phrased your advice. Many models are a)not native english speakers b)not so good with tech stuff (especially when they are fairly new) or both.

I read your comments about audio clipping in another thread a while back, and I had to spend 15 minutes googling, watching several YT videos to actually understand what "clipping" means. An advice like that, while in its core maybe wanted and helpful for me, would just annoy me if phrased like that. I really appreciate when members give me feedback on my stream quality and help me improve it, but before you say something, think about the fact that a model might not understand certain lingo that might be obvious to you, don't know how to change software settings, or simply has no budget to upgrade, if it's a problem with camera or mic. So yes, please tell me, but only if you are willing to actually spend time to walk me through a fix step by step and/or send me a giftcard to buy better equipment.

I appreciate when members tell me there is something wrong with my stream like audio or overall quality. I come from a site where they don't tell you that your audio has been out of sync for the hour you've been online. I have drilled it into some of my regs to tell me when there is something wrong. Not assume I'm aware. When a model asks you how is my stream, please answer. Not sit there in silence.

Im probably the minority, but I'm aware of the tech lingo, but I second to use layman's terms.

Technical problems I'd rather be told right away. The last time I was on took a while before anyone bothered to let me know that my audio wasn't working which was annoying. I also remember a model who until I told her, never realized she had massive black bars all around her video, and no one had told her in the 6 months she had been camming...

I don't really care for unprompted feedback/advice related to making more money or getting more viewers, because it's almost always unhelpful, and always seems to come from people who don't tip. I'm more open to creative feedback however, like camera positions or clothing choices as with enough feedback I can gauge what my audience is interested in.

When is feedback appreciated? When I ask for it and if there are glitches (I'm muted, the stream is dropping/glitchy).

It really sucks when people make suggestions on what they'd rather see because odds are either 1. It's a deliberate choice I made, and I didn't get online to defend my lighting practices or 2. I also agree that I would like to see that change as well but I'm literally unable to because my equipment won't allow it--which is a can of worms I have no fun getting into because then people try to be "helpful" and instruct me on how to make my equipment work better. "Try this!" Done that, it does this. "What about this other thing!" Yup, it has this other downside. "First page of google says..." Wow, how insightful /s. "Have you looked at the manual? Maybe the settings are wrong?"

Listen guys, I've spent more hours staring at my own stream setup than anyone else. I have tweaked and adjusted for days. I've added more lights, taken lights away, switched from warm to cool to cool to warm. These camera settings have been thoroughly combed through. I know the limitations of my tech and my own aesthetic preferences. Trust me if I say I can't make my tech do whatever you're requesting. It's a logitech c922 on OBS, not a DSLR, it's not gonna give you depth of field, true to life colors, and any kind of dimness without grain.

So yeah, let me know if I'm glitching and when my audio is clipping and that's about it? Otherwise, I may occasionally ask people what they prefer, but that's rare. Anyway, a lot of these shared complaints between my own preferences and my viewers preferences are why I am waiting on a new camera to be delivered, but in the mean time, no use pointing out aesthetic preferences--if it looks meh, trust me, I know, and I'm probably more bummed about it than you are.

Especially on a site like MFC where it hurts my camscore to be sitting in free chat forever without earning any tokens...I really appreciate it when people speak up to let me know there's an issue. No, I'm not talking about the guy who lives with his mom and has been complaining to me for YEARS about the shitty internet his mom has. That guy always has an issue in my room when others don't, and he's probably not helping matters any if he's also using his shitty Wi-Fi for his video games. I'm not about to go through the hassle of leaving my chat...exiting the OBS encoder...restarting my computer...restarting OBS...reentering MFC model web broadcaster every time he complains that I'm lagging. Lol. Especially when everything on my end (when I check on the encoder) appears fine.

I'm talking about when other members speak up to say they're having an issue with no sound...or an echo...or whatever. That happened recently where two people said they couldn't hear me, and it turned out that the stupid OBS encoder had reset my microphone setting to the computer's mic instead of my Brio's mic.

What frustrates me is when I've been broadcasting for an hour with my music playing (and it's obvious that I'm listening to music, because I'm bopping my head to the music, snapping fingers, and lip-synching or singing)...and saying hi to people...and none of these people ever think to tell me "Hi, Fox. I can't hear you."

I discussed this with the primary models I visit today, prompted by some audio issues in her stream. And I got the same reply as I see here, if it is tech issues at her end, she wants to know as soon as possible, bad audio or picture really chases viewers away. It has to be said she has $10.000 plus invested in equipment, so stream quality is a major point to her. (My estimate is based on the cameras, laptop, and other equipment I know she has).

Other feedback on her streams that is not positive or supportive, better be worded really carefully according to her. And as far as advice goes, well she is stubborn as f***. 'When I don't want it, nothing in this world can make me do it.' is a direct quote from her to me.

I give her honest feedback if she asks me if something is working or not, but basically the reason I keep coming back to her room is that I enjoy what she is doing, so I see no point in giving her advice, which I would be poorly suited to do.

Except if I see a comment or thread here I think might be interesting to her. ;)

I personally only want and accept feedback like this from people I know very well and trust. When some Rando with 0 tokens chips in with "too dark , turn up lighting" I tell them to kick rocks barefoot , because it feels like sabotage. No way of winning unless you're super close. Examine your reasoning :h:

Status
Not open for further replies.