AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Netflix vs. Password Sharing

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zippypinhead

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jan 21, 2013
Netflix is now officially trying to crack down on out-of-household password sharing.

Here's my favorite paragraph:

The company confirmed that there will be no extra charges if people share their accounts with people who do not live with them. It appears to be focusing instead on making the process of sharing an account sufficiently frustrating that people will be encouraged to pay for their own account instead, at least initially.

Give 'em a chance to be shitty, and they'll just keep getting shittier, guaranteed.

There have been some hopeful recent cases of customer revolts helping to reverse poor executive decisions like this, but I somehow don't have much hope that this case will work out that way. Netflix dropped its early strategy of innovation and high value a long time ago, and it doesn't look like they're all that interested in turning things around when they can get away with punishing its loyal users to make up for shortfalls.

There have been some hopeful recent cases of customer revolts helping to reverse poor executive decisions like this, but I somehow don't have much hope that this case will work out that way. Netflix dropped its early strategy of innovation and high value a long time ago, and it doesn't look like they're all that interested in turning things around when they can get away with punishing its loyal users to make up for shortfalls.
Did I see right that they want to enable ads on low tier accounts? 😂 I feel like a much better option would be to open a free tier where ads are enabled, given some of the ad rates I have seen networks offer it seems like they would make more money from a free tier running a couple of ads before a video than they would from paying subscribers, would probably also help with generating new paying subscribers too :shrugs:

Did I see right that they want to enable ads on low tier accounts? 😂 I feel like a much better option would be to open a free tier where ads are enabled, given some of the ad rates I have seen networks offer it seems like they would make more money from a free tier running a couple of ads before a video than they would from paying subscribers, would probably also help with generating new paying subscribers too :shrugs:
That's pretty much the whole model of sites like Tubi, which I watch more than Netflix now. I don't like the ads but they have a great selection of older movies, international releases, and B-tier movies. It reminds me of the stuff I'd find channel surfing on basic cable. And I know there's other sites that do the exact same thing like Crackle. I don't know how Netflix thinks they can compete with those sites by making you pay a subscription fee AND watch ads. If they were releasing great original programming maybe, but I can't even say that since everything gets cancelled after one or two seasons.

Reactions: KingMarti
My family is too large to directly password share. But i suspect my older sister and her husband who have a junior in college and one starting next year are the types that are most impacted. You know. One family account with multiple kids away from home on one password

Reactions: NotYou
This doesn't affect me but my friend just said they backed out on this and are no longer doing it, yet everywhere I read still says/suggests they are stopping the sharing.
Does anyone know?

This doesn't affect me but my friend just said they backed out on this and are no longer doing it, yet everywhere I read still says/suggests they are stopping the sharing.
Does anyone know?
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information flying around right now. I'm not totally sure about what's true. From the looks of it, it seems that the plan is to do something of a staggered rollout, with more regions now being affected than the initial Latin American markets. Canada, New Zealand, Portugal, and Spain are now under sharing restrictions as of yesterday.

Reactions: NotYou
Status
Not open for further replies.