AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

New (and experienced) performers, please be SO careful

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

Have you ever been scammed by someone?

• Yes

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Voting for results

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariana_

Inactive Cam Model
Apr 2, 2017
West Coast
Arghhh, I'm so angry right now and I'm going to attempt to use it positively to create this post. I've been camming for probably six months now, and while that isn't a ton of time, I thought I had seen and could avoid most of the scams these dudes try to pull. Yes, dudes, because when's the last time you heard of a woman out here scamming performers???

I made a Twitter fairly recently as a way to drum up some more followers for myself, and to make my CB fans aware of my SM profile. A dude (username @RipEoadHag) DM'ed me asking if I had an Amazon wishlist. I sent it to him, and he told me that he had purchased me four items. My wishlist showed that 4 items had indeed been purchased, totaling around $90. I asked for proof of shipping and he sent me a code to verify, then asked me how long of a session I would trade for the gifts. I told him I could do 15 minutes now, and then another 15 minutes once I had received the items, and he would be the first to see me use the toys he had ordered. FIRST MAJOR RED FLAG HERE, he told me he "couldn't finish" in 15 and asked if all 30 at once was okay. I probably should have thought a little harder about it, but my first wishlist purchase seemed like such a victory and I was so excited. So, I agreed.

During our Skype session, he told me to my face that it's good I was careful, and how he was sorry people had attempted to scam me in the past, but he hoped he could give me a positive experience of interacting with a customer (I'm paraphrasing). A couple days later, he hits me up again saying he wants to continue this, he really likes me, could he buy another 30 minute session. I was SO excited! I thought I had pulled a serious regular. I told him he could pay me through an Amazon giftcard. I waited to receive it in my email, but it never came. Everywhere I looked online, it said they only took 4 hours maximum to send. The "proof" he provided me was a screenshot of the deducted balance from his Amazon GC balance. (I looked this up just now, you CANNOT purchase gift cards with your own gift card balance.) But I didn't know that yet. So I sat there, and waited. He seemed very put out that I wouldn't give him a show while I waited for confirmation, having the nerve to say "it's fine I guess" when I apologized for the delay... as if it was my fault! Really?! A week of waiting and no gifts, so it's safe to say I've been had.

I love my job, but it's really made me realize just how lacking in empathy and respect for women some of these dudes are! So I guess I'm just writing this 1. To vent to people who unfortunately probably will understand, and 2. To warn anyone who's a little shaky in their convictions regarding proof before services. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING UNTIL THE PAYMENT, WHATEVER IT IS, IS IN YOUR HANDS!!! It really sucks, but I guess we have to approach pretty much any new customer like they're a predatory liar until proven otherwise. Damn, I thought I was already mean, it's about to get a lot worse :rage:

I don't even use wishlists for this reason

Damn, I thought I was already mean, it's about to get a lot worse :rage:

Exactly what happened to me after I was scammed once. I only ALLOWED it to happen once. The sad truth that we have to realize is that a lot (maybe the majority) of these guys have no intention of paying for our services.

I had a dude attempt almost this exact scam on me the other day. Did his username start with a z and end with 236?

Different person, I guess they're just allll over the place :rolleyes: Sorry to hear you were targeted too.

Just don't give anything for gifts. Boom.

Yeah, that's my new plan if I even continue to have a wishlist! If they're buying me a gift they should be doing it and expecting nothing in return tbh

I don't even use wishlists for this reason

Yeah I'm very much considering not having one anymore. Or maybe just having my entire wishlist be one option, to buy me a (legit) email gift card.

Exactly what happened to me after I was scammed once. I only ALLOWED it to happen once. The sad truth that we have to realize is that a lot (maybe the majority) of these guys have no intention of paying for our services.

It's so upsetting! It really sucks to know that we're hardworking people who deserve respect, but to also know that so many are not going to view us that way. Oh well, live and learn I guess :facepalm:

• Hugs
Reactions: KarlaKaress
I don't think I've ever been scammed before, before entering sex work I spent so much time on tumblr reading about cam girls and stuff and that was one of the most popular scams to show up. I am really reluctant to even accept a gift card for anything- I've had people want to give me giftrocket for time on kik or something like that, but just hearing all the shit people will do to try to get a camgirl's time for free is disgusting. I am sorry that happened to you. :h:

What is super annoying to me is when they pull a "Camgirl scammed me!" card as an excuse to not pay for something. Like, that really sucks (if it even happened) but I'm not that camgirl, I don't scam people, and (on ELM) I had nothing but positive reviews saying how I send things early and make great content. So... weak card is weak @ dudes trying to get free stuffs. :wasntme:

Sorry this happened to you. Sounds super frustrating and disappointing. Thanks for sharing though. I had no clue the Amazon wishlist bs was soooo rampant lately. Good to know to put every several red flags up when it comes to Amazon.

Reactions: Ariana_
The exact same thing happened to me when I was a brand new sex worker. I was only on Suicide Girls with a few stripping videos at the time, but a dude "bought" $150 worth of stuff from my Amazon wishlist, then cancelled the order when I sent the videos.

I ended up putting them all up for free, anyway, so it didn't matter in the long run, but this is why I always tell people to not send ANYTHING until that gift is IN YOUR HANDS.

I'm sorry this has happened to you and I'm sure it's been a valuable learning lesson. Make sure the guys who come by prove themselves (with time and $) before you do anything before it's guaranteed.

Myself, when I made a new mfc account, had a luxury of receiving a little extra skype time because my new account still had a low limit. But I had proven myself trustworthy and the outstanding balance was paid the next day. For sure, I wouldn't go to a model whom I have no established rapport with and expect to receive more time than tokens I had readily available. Not that this is a problem now, but I just wanted to give a positive example that there are in fact decent human beings.

Reactions: Ariana_
As a member have been scammed heaps of times but very rarely in the same way. It should always be the member who takes the risk, not that it should ever happen to any of us.
I would recommend not using gifts as a form of currency; there are so many faster, easier payment methods. Gifts should be used more like bonuses IMO.

a gift is just that--a gift. if you give someone a birthday gift, you wouldn't be expecting that person to hand you anything back.

He may have changed his username to stay ahead of anyone getting his identity out to other models. This way he stays ahead of anyone shutting down his scam.
True true. As soon as he started pushing me to do the show with a screenshot rather than any gift card in my hand I blocked and warned girls who were in the same chatroom as me.

Thanks for all the replies everyone :h: This forum is so special! It's nice to feel less alone haha. Even though I hate that it's happened to so many of you as well. Off topic, I was still feeling kinda down about what happened but I just looked in an old purse for a chapstick and found a random hundred dollar bill?! I think that's the universe telling me that I should work today and that it's gonna be good. Or maybe I just need to be more careful with where I put my money lol

Arghhh, I'm so angry right now and I'm going to attempt to use it positively to create this post. I've been camming for probably six months now, and while that isn't a ton of time, I thought I had seen and could avoid most of the scams these dudes try to pull. Yes, dudes, because when's the last time you heard of a woman out here scamming performers???
I love my job, but it's really made me realize just how lacking in empathy and respect for women some of these dudes are! So I guess I'm just writing this 1. To vent to people who unfortunately probably will understand, and 2. To warn anyone who's a little shaky in their convictions regarding proof before services. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING UNTIL THE PAYMENT, WHATEVER IT IS, IS IN YOUR HANDS!!! It really sucks, but I guess we have to approach pretty much any new customer like they're a predatory liar until proven otherwise. Damn, I thought I was already mean, it's about to get a lot worse :rage:

Try selling something on Craigslist and you end up with these same people in your face. Things that usually tip me off:

1) VERY bad English skills.

2) Too eager to get things done, usually quickly.

3) Very wanting to show "proof" of their legitimacy, and that proof always comes in some unusual form

To me it is just amazing that we still don't have *easy* anonymous ways to do secured financial transactions. Bitcoin is probably the best idea, but that is beyond what most people can figure out on their own.

If there is some master thread on this site that recommends better payment methods, please someone point us to those.

So sorry this happened to you :( This I believe is a fairly common scam. There is quite a bit on this forum about this kind of thing but it is always good for it to be brought up again in case girls have missed it.
With Amazon, members can purchase gifts and then cancel them. Until you have the item in your hand it is not a safe way to do shows. I would say the warning flags were firstly him purchasing so many gifts so quickly, and then expecting a long show for them without previously discussing. Generally wishlist gifts are bought as gifts, not as a form of payment. If he wanted shows, it would have been a big risk him purchasing gifts and not knowing you would be up for it. So yes big warning signs.

Don't worry too much about it though, there are lots of people out there looking to scam girls and lots of girls who fall for it at one point. I think most of the time it's more of a power thing than a lack of money thing. When I tried sugaring I had a few guys who tried to scam me with fake bank transfers. But what was crazy in these situations, is the guys spent loads on my transport, on hiring a fancy car (to hold up the image), buying me gifts and various other stuff to appease me for the money not coming through and paying for hotels etc. So many things I didn't need because I would have preferred the cash, but they actually spent more trying to not make me suspicious. I realised that this was probably part of their thrill, as they really didn't get much out of it.

So sorry this happened to you :( This I believe is a fairly common scam. There is quite a bit on this forum about this kind of thing but it is always good for it to be brought up again in case girls have missed it.
With Amazon, members can purchase gifts and then cancel them. Until you have the item in your hand it is not a safe way to do shows. I would say the warning flags were firstly him purchasing so many gifts so quickly, and then expecting a long show for them without previously discussing. Generally wishlist gifts are bought as gifts, not as a form of payment. If he wanted shows, it would have been a big risk him purchasing gifts and not knowing you would be up for it. So yes big warning signs.

Don't worry too much about it though, there are lots of people out there looking to scam girls and lots of girls who fall for it at one point. I think most of the time it's more of a power thing than a lack of money thing. When I tried sugaring I had a few guys who tried to scam me with fake bank transfers. But what was crazy in these situations, is the guys spent loads on my transport, on hiring a fancy car (to hold up the image), buying me gifts and various other stuff to appease me for the money not coming through and paying for hotels etc. So many things I didn't need because I would have preferred the cash, but they actually spent more trying to not make me suspicious. I realised that this was probably part of their thrill, as they really didn't get much out of it.

Yeah, it's really bizarre! Then again a lot of the fucked up stuff that (mostly) men do to women is based off of a need for power. So I can't even be surprised. When this dude sent me the screenshot of the deducted funds, there was something like $3,000 in his account that I could see. Three THOUSAND dollars just in Amazon gift cards. But he scammed me out of a show anyway. People are seriously too weird...

Sorry this happened to you. If it's okay with you, we would like to put this member @RipEoadHag on blast on our account for scamming you. (We know ACF is much bigger than we are and much better for spreading the word, but models should be made aware of these scammers any way possible.)

When it comes to Amazon wishlists, we wouldn't say "don't use them" - we'd recommend being up-front that members will get nothing in return until 1) the ordered item is received, no matter how long they have to wait, or 2) a giftcard is purchased, sent and confirmed to cover the amount of the item, which takes much less time.

Yeah, I don't really get why some people are so firmly saying "don't use them, they're only for gifts." I love using mine as a form of currency. Most of it is stuff I'm going to use in future videos, anyway. I give them content of equal value to whatever they spent, so it's no different than if they gave me money. I have a P.O. Box so I'm not worried about them finding out my address. I don't send anything until I receive the items. It works great for me.

Yeah, I don't really get why some people are so firmly saying "don't use them, they're only for gifts." I love using mine as a form of currency. Most of it is stuff I'm going to use in future videos, anyway. I give them content of equal value to whatever they spent, so it's no different than if they gave me money. I have a P.O. Box so I'm not about them finding out my address. I don't send anything until I receive the items. It works great for me.

Personally, I feel like using gifts as currency could be really frustrating since I put a lot of silly things on my wishlist that I don't actually need but would like to have, and maybe wouldn't buy myself. Plus, even though clients may be buying me things of value, it's not like I can send the water company a brand new hitachi as payment for my bill that month. I need actual money and would worry about not getting actual money if I let people buy things with gifts instead of just paying me.

I don't think there's anything for sure wrong with using gifts as currency, but it's a missed opportunity to be extra and do extra for those who treat you well. If someone is buying gifts instead of tokens, you're likely losing out and giving someone less reason to use the platform you work from. If, however, they have a few extra bucks after their tokens are gone and hit your wishlist, that's just an extra nice gesture. With how many negative messages we get, an extra moment of generosity from a decent member goes a long way (for me at least). If they're the kind of person who doesn't purchase content, I usually just say a big thank you. If I know they buy my vids/clips, I might grab a link and send it their way with the thank you. That way, nothing was promised. There was no real transaction. Just generosity from them and a token of appreciation back from my end.

Reactions: Gen and Ariana_
Sorry this happened to you. If it's okay with you, we would like to put this member @RipEoadHag on blast on our account for scamming you. (We know ACF is much bigger than we are and much better for spreading the word, but models should be made aware of these scammers any way possible.)

When it comes to Amazon wishlists, we wouldn't say "don't use them" - we'd recommend being up-front that members will get nothing in return until 1) the ordered item is received, no matter how long they have to wait, or 2) a giftcard is purchased, sent and confirmed to cover the amount of the item, which takes much less time.
Please do!! I wanted to do the same on my twitter but I only have like 40 followers haha. I want as many performers to see as possible :nod:

Tbh I think the "don't use a wish list for payment" advice is mostly aimed at new models who have less of a scam detector, and are more likely to accidentally share their address. Plus it's frustrating seeing new girls say "why is my camscore so low?" when their profile says "10 minute Skype = $25 Amazon gift card" or "buy me presents and get a Skype" or whatever. Obviously experienced models have a better handle on how it works and how to do it safely and don't need to maximize their new model status by getting as many tokens as possible.

Ugh! That sucks, and is way more detailed than what happens to me! But I've had several guys "purchase" items from my wishlist, then either cancel the order or just clicked "I purchased this item elsewhere." They also get mad that I don't do anything for it until it's in my hand. Anyone who is legit has no proble waiting until I receive it.

Reactions: Booty_4U
Ugh! That sucks, and is way more detailed than what happens to me! But I've had several guys "purchase" items from my wishlist, then either cancel the order or just clicked "I purchased this item elsewhere." They also get mad that I don't do anything for it until it's in my hand. Anyone who is legit has no proble waiting until I receive it.
Wait hold up, there's a button for "I purchased this elsewhere"??? So it looks like the item(s) were bought to the recipient but it's all one huge lie? Wow it's even easier to be an asshole than I thought :worried:

Status
Not open for further replies.