AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Supreme Court

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, seah hannity had quite a lot to say about that yesterday

Dont shoot me: I am super proud we have passed gay marriage finally but I hate the fact our Supreme Court rule until they die. Most of these people have been born and raised in a very different generation than the one we live in today. And not to be ageist but most of them still rule based on old school out dated thinking. Hence 4 of them not ruling in favor of marriage for all. The fact it's even a 5-4 split when it comes to basic civil human rights pisses me off greatly. This should have been a landslide in favor of passing. Im ashamed that it wasn't.

Pretty cool forum software btw, but that is already said a few hundred times )))

I did a screenprint of the tweet in above posting, but I saw afterwards you can just give the url, and the forum automatically includes the tweet !!

Dont shoot me: I am super proud we have passed gay marriage finally but I hate the fact our Supreme Court rule until they die. Most of these people have been born and raised in a very different generation than the one we live in today. And not to be ageist but most of them still rule based on old school out dated thinking. Hence 4 of them not ruling in favor of marriage for all. The fact it's even a 5-4 split when it comes to basic civil human rights pisses me off greatly. This should have been a landslide in favor of passing. Im ashamed that it wasn't.
This! Being on the supreme court basically means understanding the constitution and implementing it above all else. The 4 that voted against are still putting their viewpoint over what their actual job is, and they can't get fired for it. Craziness. Happy that my kids will grow up in a country where gay marriage is just marriage and not a debate though! It actually made me tear up a bit which is not common. Hehehe.

According to the dissent, they weren't against gay marriage. They were against the supreme court deciding it. They wanted it to be brought up in the house/senate.

Reactions: dilligaf0
According to the dissent, they weren't against gay marriage. They were against the supreme court deciding it. They wanted it to be brought up in the house/senate.

Whelp, I overheard one person in the store earlier say they were against gay marriage, because they didn't want gay people getting more rights than straight people...I sooo wish I were making that up. I'm sure that old woman was against the supreme court deciding it, but I'm pretty sure she'd have been against it in the house/senate as well. Frankly I think a lot of people are going to say things like they just wished it was decided another way just to be argumentative, and try to somehow have it overturned.

Last edited:
Since we all can see how productive the house / senate are at passing anything.
Exactly. If they were not actually against it then they should have just voted yes. Not voted no and claimed it's not their job. That's such a bullshit excuse for their actual personal feelings about it. Does anyone have a link for their after writings on the case they always give? I cant find it.

Exactly. If they were not actually against it then they should have just voted yes. Not voted no and claimed it's not their job. That's such a bullshit excuse for their actual personal feelings about it. Does anyone have a link for their after writings on the case they always give? I cant find it.

The full opinion is here.
I'd recommend checking out scotusblog.com they have a good summary for layman like this plain English description

I am happy with the decision, but I think you are mistaken that it should have been a landslide. The Supreme courts job is to interpret laws for their adherence to the Constitution. Contrary to popular opinion SCOTUS is not particularly political. More than 2/3 of the cases last year were decide unanimously, and the Roberts court has been one of the most unified ever. For the most part, they focus on interpreting the laws not on their own opinions, which is why you have all the liberal justices supporting a Church's rights to put up signs and conservative justices supporting prisoners rights to file easier appeals.

The basis for this particular case was that four states Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee define marriage as a union between one man and one woman. Now you can argue (and I'd agree) that it is a stupid law, but it is also true that certainly at the time the laws were passed, and possibly even today a majority of the people in the state supported that law. I am big believer in letting the citizens of state decide how they want to govern themselves. However, in this case with a majority of state allowing gay marriage it creates chaos to have gay marriage allowed in NY but not in Ohio, so I think the majority is right.

But both Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Scalia are crazy smart guys, and I'm not going to be so arrogant to think that I'm smarter than they are much less, understand the constitution better.

The opening of Justice Roberts dissenting opinion is worth reading to understand why it was closely divided case..
Petitioners make strong arguments rooted in social policy and considerations of fairness. They contend that
same-sex couples should be allowed to affirm their love and commitment through marriage, just like opposite-sex couples. That position has undeniable appeal; over thepast six years, voters and legislators in eleven States and the District of Columbia have revised their laws to allow marriage between two people of the same sex. But this Court is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us.Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be. The people who ratified the Constitution authorized courts to exercise “neither force nor will but merely judgment.” The Federalist No.78, p. 465 (C. Rossiter ed. 1961) (A. Hamilton) (capitalization altered).

Although the policy arguments for extending marriage to same-sex couples may be compelling, the legal arguments for requiring such an extension are not. The fundamental right to marry does not include a right to make a State change its definition of marriage. And a State’s decision to maintain the meaning of marriage that has persisted in every culture throughout human history can hardly be called irrational. In short, our Constitution doesnot enact any one theory of marriage. The people of a State are free to expand marriage to include same-sex couples, or to retain the historic definition.

Today, however, the Court takes the extraordinary step of ordering every State to license and recognize same-sex marriage. Many people will rejoice at this decision, and I begrudge none their celebration.

Thank you for the links. Ill check them out later for sure.

While I agree states should pass their own laws when it comes to civil and equal rights cases it should be mandated across the board IMHO. States should not get a right to discriminate, ever. And couples should not have to fight 50 legal battles state by state to get them. That is a huge waste of time and money for all involved. Its pathetic this day in age we even still have to fight for people to be treated equal. But i'm probably preaching to the choir here.

While I do understand Judge Roberts position of not wanting to create legislature the simple fact is that their interpretations of the law do create such and they should take that and use it to produce results. Especially in equal rights cases. Voting no just cause he feels it should not be a concern to him or should be done in state houses is inane old school thinking. They are the final say and had this law of not passed it would give every state grounds to rethink the laws in place that have passed it and stop others from being able to as well. Therefore stopping equal rights in its path and they are smart enough to know this. And his lil line of "The people of a State are free to expand marriage to include same-sex couples, or to retain the historic definition." is just another way of him saying blah blah God says no and they can make laws around that which not only infringes on civil rights but also separation of church and state. Again he is smart enough to know this and exactly what he is saying yet his old man style of thinking thinks it's okay to do such.

Every one of those judges who voted no are disgusting. Back in the day would they voted no on black rights? Womens right? Etc? Probably if given the chance. All under the thinly veiled guise of it should be a state issue.

Hmm. I wonder what Joe Rogan thinks.

Attachments

• 11403123_10153230256434902_1206063481607331182_n.jpg
    11403123_10153230256434902_1206063481607331182_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 30
I'm so proud of this new progressive direction America is taking. Conservatives must be shaking in their boots!

Everyone's so happy and excited, and it's a good start.
But until things actually start happening (like flags staying down and marriage licenses being issued) the changes aren't really happening.

Dont shoot me: I am super proud we have passed gay marriage finally but I hate the fact our Supreme Court rule until they die. .

Federal judges have a lifetime appointment, but that doesn't mean they "rule until they die." The reason for lifetime appointments are to prevent the judiciary from being subject to political pressure from the legislative and executive branches.

Federal judges have a lifetime appointment, but that doesn't mean they "rule until they die." The reason for lifetime appointments are to prevent the judiciary from being subject to political pressure from the legislative and executive branches.
They rule until they step down or die in office. I know how it works. To me it's time for a few of them to do one or the other if they can't do their job when it comes to basic human rights.

I'm sorry, but I'm really disgusted by my country. All of these rainbows popping up and forcing us to have 'pride' and whatnot are an offensive gesture. I can't look at Facebook without seeing rainbows all over the place. It's foul.
Nothing is forcing you to do anything just cause you see a rainbow. Don't like them? Don't go on fb. It's really not hard to do. :party:

They rule until they step down or die in office. I know how it works. To me it's time for a few of them to do one or the other if they can't do their job when it comes to basic human rights.

How are these judges not doing their job when it comes to basic human rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.