AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The psychology behind a 500,000 token tip

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Anglais
So apparently the new highest tip in MFC history is 500,000 tokens, which to me, is pretty mind-blowing. Congrats to the model and congrats to the member for being (hopefully) rich enough to be able to afford that kind of insane generosity. It did get me thinking though, about the thought process that led up to the tip (and others like it), and the aftermath. Obviously, it's not really anybody else's business, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't kinda fascinated by the whole thing, and interested in the psychology behind a tip like that. To me, $45,000 is an insane amount to gift someone on the internet in one go, regardless of how much entertainment, sexual gratification and/or companionship they've provided you. But to the members who drop these mega-tips, it's obviously not that big of a deal, or they simply wouldn't do it. I guess my question is, to members who might be whale tippers or folk who know whale tippers, what drives a tip like that? Is it purely admiration for the model? And if so, what leads you/them to arrive at a specific number? Why 10,000 tokens instead of 5000? Why 20,000 over 10,000, or 500,000 over 250,000? Or is it more competitive - "This guy tipped 100k, so I'm gonna tip 200k"?. Or is it purely economical - "I can go up to 500,000 tokens, but any more than that is going to financially cripple me"?

Also, as a model, how does a tip like that make you feel? If it was me, I'd obviously be overwhelmed and happy and grateful and there's a good chance that I'd temporarily lose control of my bodily functions. But after that, I think I'd feel so indebted to that member, I'd worry about what I could possibly do to ensure he felt as if he was getting his money's worth. When you get a huge tip like that, is there an unspoken pressure to live up to that tip? Or concern that the member is hoping for more than you can offer him? Or do tips like that just kind of exist in a vacuum?

Again, really none of my business, but I be intrigued.

mynameisbob84 said:
So apparently the new highest tip in MFC history is 500,000 tokens, which to me, is pretty mind-blowing. Congrats to the model and congrats to the member for being (hopefully) rich enough to be able to afford that kind of insane generosity. It did get me thinking though, about the thought process that led up to the tip (and others like it), and the aftermath. Obviously, it's not really anybody else's business, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't kinda fascinated by the whole thing, and interested in the psychology behind a tip like that. To me, $45,000 is an insane amount to gift someone on the internet in one go, regardless of how much entertainment, sexual gratification and/or companionship they've provided you. But to the members who drop these mega-tips, it's obviously not that big of a deal, or they simply wouldn't do it. I guess my question is, to members who might be whale tippers or folk who know whale tippers, what drives a tip like that? Is it purely admiration for the model? And if so, what leads you/them to arrive at a specific number? Why 10,000 tokens instead of 5000? Why 20,000 over 10,000, or 500,000 over 250,000? Or is it more competitive - "This guy tipped 100k, so I'm gonna tip 200k"?. Or is it purely economical - "I can go up to 500,000 tokens, but any more than that is going to financially cripple me"?

Also, as a model, how does a tip like that make you feel? If it was me, I'd obviously be overwhelmed and happy and grateful and there's a good chance that I'd temporarily lose control of my bodily functions. But after that, I think I'd feel so indebted to that member, I'd worry about what I could possibly do to ensure he felt as if he was getting his money's worth. When you get a huge tip like that, is there an unspoken pressure to live up to that tip? Or concern that the member is hoping for more than you can offer him? Or do tips like that just kind of exist in a vacuum?

I've never gotten a tip even close to that large. I'd probably have a panic attack if I did. That's a new car right there. It was a birthday tip though, right?

mynameisbob84 said:

My largest single tip was 100,000 tokens.

A very large tip like that feels completely overwhelming. Partly in a good way, and partly in a panicky way. Good because, let's face it, someone felt inspired to be EXTREMELY generous for you and you alone. It's mind blowing. And panicky because it's hard to process it all in your head, and it's probably natural to feel indebted to a person after a showing like that. While I've grown confidence in myself since starting camming, I still never forget who I am: just a girl. It's hard for just a regular ol' girl to understand how I deserve something like that.

I still to this day wonder if I lived up to any hopes and expectations they had of me. He most definitely reassured me that it was beyond deserved for all the enjoyment me and how I ran my room brought him. But his presence in my online life has also diminished quite noticeably since then. I haven't talked to him for around 3 months now, but am still sending him monthly videos and messages. :)

I can't even fathom how a 500k tip would hit me. I would probably feel physically ill from the overstimulation. It has been an issue in the past when I'm having a crazy day on cam where people are just super generous, that I feel feverish and a little barfy from all the feeling of the feels. Tears are pretty commonplace too. ALL THE FEELS!

A 500.000 tokens tip is not $45,000 to the model. It's $25,000 - before taxes.

I think a tip like that is great and shows how cool MFC can be.

AmberCutie said:
mynameisbob84 said:

My largest single tip was 100,000 tokens.

A very large tip like that feels completely overwhelming. Partly in a good way, and partly in a panicky way. Good because, let's face it, someone felt inspired to be EXTREMELY generous for you and you alone. It's mind blowing. And panicky because it's hard to process it all in your head, and it's probably natural to feel indebted to a person after a showing like that. While I've grown confidence in myself since starting camming, I still never forget who I am: just a girl. It's hard for just a regular ol' girl to understand how I deserve something like that.

I still to this day wonder if I lived up to any hopes and expectations they had of me. He most definitely reassured me that it was beyond deserved for all the enjoyment me and how I ran my room brought him. But his presence in my online life has also diminished quite noticeably since then. I haven't talked to him for around 3 months now, but am still sending him monthly videos and messages. :)

I can't even fathom how a 500k tip would hit me. I would probably feel physically ill from the overstimulation. It has been an issue in the past when I'm having a crazy day on cam where people are just super generous, that I feel feverish and a little barfy from all the feeling of the feels. Tears are pretty commonplace too. ALL THE FEELS!

Dat big ass leaky head.

Reactions: AmberCutie
I always figured those monster tips were a bunch of guys pooling their tokens. 500,000 tokens is nearly half my yearly income! :shock:

mynameisbob84 said:

I think the 500K is pretty much the limitation of MFC. AFAIK the maximum token storage is 465,500 tokens, you then purchased your daily max of 46,550 withdraw the other tokens from storage and viola 500,000 tokens. Add a tip note (probably) hit confirm and legend is born. Anyway the maximum tokens you can tip is 513,150. This requires 67 $600 purchases 1 $300, 1 $150 , a 25 token random tip and $40,649.31.

Without using token transfers I think it requires a minimum of 11 days to assemble a tip that size. So no more than 33 tips, 513K tips per year. If you were a billionaire maxing out your mega tips it would take 745 years to get rid of your money on MFC.

The guy is supposedly and actual prince somewhere...I wonder how many frogs she had to kiss before she found one! Haha

Reactions: Sevrin
A prince! Disney is going to make a movie about this someday!!

And I think it is wonderful that she got such an amazing tip. Generalizing from my random biggest tippers, they were all just random guys trying to make a girl smile with their extra money, they didn't want anything in return even though I would force my video collection upon them lol
I sincerely hope this was one of those tips and judging by her reaction it definitely was :) congrats to her!

HiGirlsRHot said:
mynameisbob84 said:

I think the 500K is pretty much the limitation of MFC. AFAIK the maximum token storage is 465,500 tokens, you then purchased your daily max of 46,550 withdraw the other tokens from storage and viola 500,000 tokens. Add a tip note (probably) hit confirm and legend is born. Anyway the maximum tokens you can tip is 513,150. This requires 67 $600 purchases 1 $300, 1 $150 , a 25 token random tip and $40,649.31.

Without using token transfers I think it requires a minimum of 11 days to assemble a tip that size. So no more than 33 tips, 513K tips per year. If you were a billionaire maxing out your mega tips it would take 745 years to get rid of your money on MFC.
I have a feeling that the very big spenders/tippers on MFC do bank transfers and avoid all of the hassle of buying individual packages. I know a couple big tipping guys who have done so.

My opinion is that a 500,000 token tip says more about the tipper than the model.

If I knew a cam model well enough to want to give her that large number of shekels, I wouldn't want to give over a third of the sum to a Leo. Rather I'd arrange to transmit those funds directly to a bank account under her control. She's unlikely to realize a net promotional value from having been tipped that much in one go equivalent to MFC's cut.

Sevrin said:
My opinion is that a 500,000 token tip says more about the tipper than the model.

If I knew a cam model well enough to want to give her that large number of shekels, I wouldn't want to give over a third of the sum to a Leo. Rather I'd arrange to transmit those funds directly to a bank account under her control. She's unlikely to realize a net promotional value from having been tipped that much in one go equivalent to MFC's cut.

Except you're missing a couple of important factors:

1. Exposure. When someone gets a tip that big, people talk about it. The screen cap it, tweet it, retweet it, talk about it in forums, etc. People who might not have seen her before will see her now. Especially because she is at #1, her exposure now is the highest it can possibly be. Earnings are totally exponential as well-- girls who earn more appear higher on the lists (Miss MFC, camscore, most popular room, etc) which brings in even MORE people which brings in even more money. My highest earning months have also always been my highest tokens per hour months, no matter how many more hours I had to put in to get where I was, because the more I earned the more new people came to tip me.

2. There also the matter of the gift tax; the donor must pay taxes on any cash gift over $14,000. I'm not sure if that comes out to more or less than MFC's cut but I imagine it is much much simpler to just let the middle man take his cut than trying to get accountants involved.

3. You don't get to see her face when you arrange something like a bank transfer!

LilyEvans said:
Sevrin said:

1. Exposure. When someone gets a tip that big, people talk about it. The screen cap it, tweet it, retweet it, talk about it in forums, etc. People who might not have seen her before will see her now. Especially because she is at #1, her exposure now is the highest it can possibly be. Earnings are totally exponential as well-- girls who earn more appear higher on the lists (Miss MFC, camscore, most popular room, etc) which brings in even MORE people which brings in even more money. My highest earning months have also always been my highest tokens per hour months, no matter how many more hours I had to put in to get where I was, because the more I earned the more new people came to tip me.

2. There also the matter of the gift tax; the donor must pay taxes on any cash gift over $14,000. I'm not sure if that comes out to more or less than MFC's cut but I imagine it is much much simpler to just let the middle man take his cut than trying to get accountants involved.

3. You don't get to see her face when you arrange something like a bank transfer!
1. A huge tip can also have a chilling effect on regular tippers.

2. If the guy is a prince, as has been said here, or anything other than a U.S. resident the tipper would not be subject to U.S. gift taxes.

3. That's about the tipper.

Reactions: NicoleRiley
Sevrin said:
2. If the guy is a prince, as has been said here, or anything other than a U.S. resident the tipper would not be subject to U.S. gift taxes.

They would be subject to any local taxes in their home country, plus any taxes in the US based on whatever treaties there are between both countries ... And all that lovely paperwork, plus the red flags that would be raised by a lot of anti-money laundering agencies and possibly others.

Not to mention the basic issue that you need to know the real name and bank account number of the model, which is something that you would be very unlikely to ever get.

Sevrin said:
LilyEvans said:
Sevrin said:

Just to clear up some things. He's a regular long time high tipper in her room. The regulars are use to him doing tip bombs. He's done 25K, 50K, 100K... This is not new.

No, I don't think he expected anything for it. In fact I'm guessing he guested after the tip to see her reaction because he tipped and then logged off immediately. She has a date raffle going on right now. He didn't even ask for raffle tickets.

So I don't really think this will change any dynamic in the room, between Kendra and him or him and other regulars.

I wish I could have seen it, damn...what a nice thing to do for someone, I think it would be great if giant tips like that became more common. Obviously not everyone has that guy's budget, but i've seen a lot of members save up to so they can drop a special tip, 5k, 10k, 50k or whatever they can afford to do, which I find equally impressive.

We live in a world where you can go do something, someone will give you money for it, then if you choose to do so, you can give it to a woman to show you her boobs, or something else, or even just for the hell of it. It's a very awesome place :)

I would cry for a very long time... It's just insane to even think about ever getting a tip that big lol :shock:

One little reply on tipping from a whale tipper, on his view of tipping.
I think it's all relative. There are many nice models who work hard online and might have a camscore of 800-1100 and for whom a single tip of 300-500 would be a great and welcomed surprise. There are the high-profile models at the top of page 1 who get dozens of these tips per night along with a few pops in the thousands. Similarly for members, there are many income ranges on the other side of the site too. I know guys working hard in industrial kitchens, as mechanics and such for whom an average tip of 20-50 a couple times each time they log in is a lot compared to there financial means. On the other end of the spectrum there are others who drop lots of big bombs and for them it might come as a smaller percentage of their income than the guy tipping 20-50. I think it's hard to generalize with such a wide range of incomes and people. I've tipped over 100k once, between 20k-50k 4 or 5 times, between 10-20k dozens of time and hundreds of tips between 1k and 10k. I've averaged 4.5K a day on mfc in the past 3 years. While I don't regret 90% of the friends I've met and tipped, I do stop and think of what other good uses I could have put that money toward (charities, etc.). That's not to say that I don't think the models deserve the support but there's a lot of excess in some places in MFC (on both sides). I'd love to moderate my spending to something more reasonable.

I suspect it simply is that larger tippers can tip that much, and they know it will help a model they like. Spending an amount that feels worthy for themselves may also be a part of it, wanting to feel that they are generously rewarding someone for what they do for them. Valuing the model they like higher is a lovely way to do this I think.

Do all camsites take 50% the earning of model. I have just heard a model from flirt4free said she just receive 27% from payment of customer. I really feel sad when heard that. Because some times I see a model just earn 60 credit all day. This means she just earn 1.6 dollar on that day.

maskpull said:
Do all camsites take 50% the earning of model. I have just heard a model from flirt4free said she just receive 27% from payment of customer. I really feel sad when heard that. Because some times I see a model just earn 60 credit all day. This means she just earn 1.6 dollar on that day.

It's true. I worked on flirt and only received 27%. It's why I left. It wasn't worth it.

IndicaDesires said:
maskpull said:

It's true. I worked on flirt and only received 27%. It's why I left. It wasn't worth it.
Really, how can this site become famous with such payment for it's models. Beside if a model work in a studio, she only received 13%. So terrible!!!!

maskpull said:
IndicaDesires said:
maskpull said:

Really, how can this site become famous with such payment for it's models. Beside if a model work in a studio, she only received 13%. So terrible!!!!
On most sites the model tends to get 30-55% or so of what the member spends. The remainder includes camsite profits of course, but also their software, servers, bandwidth, support, marketing and taxes. Some sites (e.g. Streamate) do extensive advertising, bringing in more users and thus making up for being on the lower end of the payout spectrum. Much better 30% of a lot than 80% of nothing.

I'm sure Kendra's quite happy with "only" $25,000.

Reactions: Sansa
ramblin said:
maskpull said:
IndicaDesires said:
maskpull said:

On most sites the model tends to get 30-55% or so of what the member spends. The remainder includes camsite profits of course, but also their software, servers, bandwidth, support, marketing and taxes. Some sites (e.g. Streamate) do extensive advertising, bringing in more users and thus making up for being on the lower end of the payout spectrum. Much better 30% of a lot than 80% of nothing.
With that payment, I'm very suspicious when a model said she can earn more than 5000 dollar per months.

maskpull said:
With that payment, I'm very suspicious when a model said she can earn more than 5000 dollar per months.
I'm not sure why that surprises you. I make much less than 50% of "my share" of employer's gross revenues, and I'm able to live quite comfortably. The average MFC model makes less than 5k/mo, but there are plenty that make more.

ramblin said:
maskpull said:
I'm not sure why that surprises you. I make much less than 50% of "my share" of employer's gross revenues, and I'm able to live quite comfortably. The average MFC model makes less than 5k/mo, but there are plenty that make more.

I think he means on flirt where we average 27%.
It's not impossible for us to reach 5k on there, but it certainly isn't easy

ramblin said:
maskpull said:
Because with simple calculation, if she work in studio, she only get 13% ,and to get the 5k/mo she must receive 390000 credit, but I never see any model in this site make that target (I see these information through their profile)

Reactions: ramblin
maskpull said:
ramblin said:
maskpull said:
Because with simple calculation, if she work in studio, she only get 13% ,and to get the 5k/mo she must receive 390000 credit, but I never see any model in this site make that target (I see these information through their profile)

No the studios don't take such a large cut on f4f. The range is 25-27%. I've never seen any only making 13%

Reactions: maskpull
Sevrin said:
LilyEvans said:
Sevrin said:

I mean I definitely agree with you that it says more about the tipper than the model; I just wanted to point out that with monstrous tips like that, it's not simply about giving the model the money. There are many other factors at play here.

Camsites, and MFC in particular, are interesting because it means that someone, anyone, can contribute to an entertainer that they like directly, see their reaction, interact with them, and so on. This is so vastly different from so many other forms of media. Buying something from a store means that you're indirectly supporting and showing how much of a fan you are to someone who made something you like, be it a movie, a book, an album...

It's wonderful that there's a platform on the internet where someone who really admires someone else can show their support in such a substantial way and so directly. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think most high tippers are just really big fans. They're not there to one up someone else, what they ultimately do benefits the receiver of the tip of course.

LuthienBlythe said:
but I think most high tippers are just really big fans. They're not there to one up someone else, what they ultimately do benefits the receiver of the tip of course.
But, their support will be more valuable if they send it directly to their model account. I think the they want to see the reaction of model more than really care to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.