AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Threw and through....

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JoleneJolene said:
I am a repeat offender of ALL of these things! To think I was always placed in advanced English strictly based on my story telling ability. Dumb heads!
:hello2: Hi! I'm JJ and I'm a terrible speller!
I knew you were too good to be true!

tumblr_ln3zp598UN1qgvt28o1_500.jpg

KarmelKiss said:
JoleneJolene said:
I am a repeat offender of ALL of these things! To think I was always placed in advanced English strictly based on my story telling ability. Dumb heads!
:hello2: Hi! I'm JJ and I'm a terrible speller!
I knew you were too good to be true!

Put a brid on it, make it pretty.

Not so much anymore I believe...but when I was growing up kids used to say "think" all the time instead of "thing" and it drove me nuts.

Somethink. Anythink. :angry4:

Miss_Lollipop said:
Eh.

i find it hard enough to NOT get grumpy when I see regular accepted american english (I know i should get over this, i live here..)

The thing that drives me nuts is when ya'll create words when there's a perfectly good one already in use.

Burgled. What was wrong with that?
But no, we have to go come up with 'burglarized'

Cheque/check
Colour/Color

Ok, I understand some of this is just to simplify but it BUGS me!!!
Especially burglarized. That does NOT simplify.
Cheque/check and colour/color are because those are actually different languages. :) Cheque and colour are the french spellings the last time I checked. Check and color are the english spellings. So even those these are annoying as hell, they're still correct.

blackxrose said:
Cheque/check and colour/color are because those are actually different languages. :) Cheque and colour are the french spellings the last time I checked. Check and color are the english spellings. So even those these are annoying as hell, they're still correct.
:eek: huh? The English spelling is colour. The French is couleur or so I have been led to believe. The missing 'u' is an American thing.

KarmelKiss said:
blackxrose said:
:eek: huh? The English spelling is colour. The French is couleur or so I have been led to believe. The missing 'u' is an American thing.
Hmm, guess my french books spelled it wrong then. They used the cheque/colour spelling.

blackxrose said:

Blackxrose, meet 11th century English history, William the Conqueror; meet a modern American :p

Reactions: Rose
I'm English. I am guilty of making some of the mistakes shown in this thread (although I usually catch them before posting, as I do know better). At school I had appalling English tuition - my knowledge of grammar was initially down to French lessons. In English I was never taught punctuation, sentence structure, verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs - let alone morphemes, determiners etc (the latter were only discovered during a course on natural language processing!). I was in my mid twenties before I started to be able to identify what an adjective was, or correctly classify nouns! Pretty appalling stuff.

I am always open to learning new words, always open to being corrected, and always enjoy improving my use of the English language. So please feel free to correct my use at any time (as long as you are sure you are right!) as I do try to get things right :) (let us add right/write to the list!). However, this also means I am less likely to jump on people making mistakes. Whilst I would love to be corrected myself, I am usually too polite (or too aware of being a hypocrite) to correct others :D

However, it is amusing to watch (no offence) Americans maul the English language and then complain about people mauling the English language through misuse! Or should I say bastardising the language (that is bastardising with an s, not z)...

So apart from just someone misunderstanding "cheque and colour being French", a few other amusing things I observed :D

1) Guesstimate. Guesstimate (or guestimate) is a word, and funnily enough, it is of US origin. It isn't a clear cut error listing estimate/guesstimate as they're both so similar as to be interchangeable unless giving specific examples.

2) Sence. This isn't even a word ;)

3) You cannot start a sentence with "and". Even on the internet :p

I will add the following though:
right/write
queue/cue
damn/dam

Reactions: LailaBaise
Thank you! I loved the way you put all of that!

1.) I know sence isn't a word, but I have seen it used for since and sense on this very forum.
2.) And :lol: I typed 'And', paused, and carried on regardless. :oops:

I tend to get a bit lazy when typing in chat or texting. However, in emails, memos or any other type of formal written communication, I try to use proper grammar.

Sometimes on this forum, I am posting from my phone and mistakes seem to happen more frequently.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the word "definitely". It does not contain the letter "a". Anywhere. I have seen this word misspelled so many times it has become a personal mission to eradicate its misspelling. I have seen it misspelled even in online editions of newspapers, much less blogs, forums and chats.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!

OK. I feel better.

One more: sale/sell.

"Car for sell"

Reactions: FrecklesXxX
There are some words I just can't spell, ever. So I try not to use them.. they are:

ridiculous (spellchecker, fuck yeah.)
occasion (not sure why.)

I know there are more. Generally if I can't spell a word I find a synonym. I wish some people would do the same.. or at least get Google Chrome, which spellchecks for you.

Zoomer said:
1) Guesstimate. Guesstimate (or guestimate) is a word, and funnily enough, it is of US origin. It isn't a clear cut error listing estimate/guesstimate as they're both so similar as to be interchangeable unless giving specific examples.
Yes I suppose it is technically a word, but it's a made-up word, slang basically, that has become accepted because it stuck around long enough and was used often enough. That doesn't excuse it imo :p

"Unputdownable" that I listed earlier (frequently used to describe particularly enthralling novels) is also officially a word. If we were to coin the word "repoodleablity" (meaning reuseable by poodles) and spread it enough it would eventually become a word. That isn't English language approval of the word, it's merely a tacit admission that the word will be used whether anyone likes it or not and therefore deserves its own classless place in a dictionary (as an index of English language usage).

You guys already got most of mine.

One that REALLY gets my goat is "should of" (which doesn't even fucking make sense). The problem is that it sounds like should've, which is a contraction of "should" and "have".

Example:
I should've paid more attention in English class. OR
I should have paid more attention in English class.
=same thing.

Same error is prevalent with "could of" "would of" and "must of". The legit way of saying it is "could have (could've)" "would have (would've)" and "must have (must've)". Get it right!

KarmelKiss said:
ViruSphere said:
a/an, as in "I saw a giraffe" and "I ate an apple". 'an' should only be used before a word that begins with a vowel. It's not "I went to an NFL game" or "I tipped an MFC model" it's "I went to a NFL game" or "I tipped a MFC model".
This is not strictly true. It is as much as how the word is pronounced.
For example you would say 'a university' but you would also say 'an umbrella. Same for the letter H. 'an hour' and 'a hoot'.
And, it is 'an NFL game'.
Yes, plus words beginning with "h" can vary by individual. "A history lesson" or "an history lesson" are both correct depending on how much stress the speaker uses on the 'h' when enunciating "history."

MadisonLeigh said:
I hate when people confuse "accept" and "except"."

Reminded me of another, affect/effect.

Also: mabey is NOT a word! Maybe I'm too picky, but when I read this one I wanna choke a bitch. Also, use it correctly.

"You may be the loudest person I've ever met." = yes. Use two words when the sentence describes what is possible.
"Are you coming to the party?" "Maybe." = yes. Use this when you can substitute "maybe" for "perhaps" in a sentence.

"I maybe late today." = :naughty: because "I perhaps late today" makes no sense.

Reactions: RogueWarrior
Nordling said:
Yes, plus words beginning with "h" can vary by individual. "A history lesson" or "an history lesson" are both correct depending on how much stress the speaker uses on the 'h' when enunciating "history."
:think: how do you figure that? You'd have to mispronounce history in the first place ("istory") to justify using "an" in front of it. An is correctly used in front of some words beginning with H but "history" certainly isn't one. Just because you decide to erroneously skip the consonant you don't get grammatical points for treating the word as though it begins with a vowel.

KarmelKiss said:
1.) I know sence isn't a word, but I have seen it used for since and sense on this very forum.
Yeah the threw/through thing has been a common offense by a couple of posters to the point it's clear they weren't just typos. The "it doesn't make since" deal is also very common here, as well as seems/seams.

A word misuse can hinder the apparent validity of an otherwise knowledgable poster's point.

Reactions: FrecklesXxX
Marokite said:
blackxrose said:
So even those these are annoying as hell, they're still correct.
I shall add...
when people use "those" for "though"

Sorry, couldn't help it! :D
Lol I RARELY ever have typos like that but I was on my meds when I posted that. If you look at my other posts from the same time frame they're all sorts of screwed up. I'm embarassed; thanks for catching that though. My other big flub was fowl instead of foul. *facepalm* Note to self, do NOT post when seriously medicated!

Occasional typos are different than constanrt misuse of a word. Don't you agree?

Since people are posting repeats, I won't wade through all the posts and will just post mine:

be, bee
to, too, two
affect (verb) vs effect (noun)
tough, though (yes, people get these confused...)
through, thorough
I, eye

People say it doesn't matter, but it really does. In french, poisson is fish, and poison is poison. An S changes it from killing you to good-for-you.

and the difference in pronunciation is the poisson is a soft s, and poison is like a z. Ask me to say them on camera sometime :p

Now to read through the others. Good ones girls!

AmberCutie said:
A word misuse can hinder the apparent validity of an otherwise knowledgable poster's point.

^This. As a consistent problem, yes. This so hard.

LadyLuna said:
People say it doesn't matter, but it really does. In french, poisson is fish, and poison is poison. An S changes it from killing you to good-for-you.
poison poisson?
Size-of-a-Blowfish.jpg

Reactions: LadyLuna
AmberCutie said:
Occasional typos are different than constanrt misuse of a word. Don't you agree?
Definitely. Although I still feel pretty stupid for missing something so obvious. In my defense, I had to take my meds because my double vision was back. lol

I want to kill myself when someone says "Today I seen" instead of "Today I saw" or even "I seen a blahblah" "I've seen a blahblah"

Reactions: Jessi J
Status
Not open for further replies.