AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Threw and through....

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between anyway, anyways, anyhow and anywho, anyway? ^^
I never figured that out.

Reactions: 1 person
Lily90x said:
What's the difference between anyway, anyways, anyhow and anywho, anyway? ^^
I never figured that out.
"Anyway" is an actual dictionary word, "anyways" is slang, an attempt at sounding cute. Same with anyhow and anywho. "Anywho" is not a proper word. I don't mind "anywho" because it's obviously a "cutism." But "anyways" is so close to the actual word that it sounds like they don't know any better in many cases.

AmberCutie said:
.... Anywho....

:whistle:

I'm guilty of using anyways or anywho as opposed to the correct version.
Yeah but your naked most of the time so no one notices you talking :whistle: :hello2:

Neudiin said:
AmberCutie said:
.... Anywho....

Yeah but your you're naked most of the time so no one notices you talking :whistle: :hello2:
FTFY

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
I was just writing in another thread here on the forum and realized I didn't know the correct use of a word I wanted to use so maybe you guys can help me.

In the thread I was speaking of "Calf muscles" what is the plural of Calf? Calves? or is that only correct when you are speaking of a baby cow?

Neudiin said:
AmberCutie said:
Neudiin said:
AmberCutie said:
.... Anywho....

Yeah but your you're naked most of the time so no one notices you talking :whistle: :hello2:
FTFY
wow what a fail on my part :crybaby:
That's ok, it made me smile. :)

@Elay- I actually have no idea! Hah. I would think calves is correct, but that's just my guess.

ElaySmith said:
I was just writing in another thread here on the forum and realized I didn't know the correct use of a word I wanted to use so maybe you guys can help me.

In the thread I was speaking of "Calf muscles" what is the plural of Calf? Calves? or is that only correct when you are speaking of a baby cow?
"Calves" is the correct plural for both meanings. :)

wear, where

How you tell: where has here is in. Where is it? Here it is!

Wear is either what you do with clothing, or to errode with constant use (driving over gravel can really wear out your tires!)

weary, wary

Weary- another word for tired
Wary- another word for cautious

Not really a problem when typing but people that call horror movies whore movies irritate me.

Moot
&
Mute

In the common phrase moot point, moot means(1) of no importance or (2) merely hypothetical. This is where moot most often gets confused with the adjective mute, meaning (1) refraining from making sound or (2) silent. Mute point doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: FrecklesXxX
Bocefish said:
Moot
&
Mute

In the common phrase moot point, moot means(1) of no importance or (2) merely hypothetical. This is where moot most often gets confused with the adjective mute, meaning (1) refraining from making sound or (2) silent. Mute point doesn’t make sense.

Couldn't a mime make a mute point? :lol:

The usage of tautologies are pretty common, despite the redundancy of the repetition. I think it's because quite often, it provides clarity - e.g. although a 'free gift' by definition would be 'free item given without charge', it helps to clarifies that there's no expectation of reciprocity.

A personal pet peeve of mine is when people attempt to use your words to be pretentious, but it's completely out of context therefore failing to make any sense whatsoever. On a slightly related note, it has always frustrated me the level of apathy many young people have for good written communication skills. Bah.

FrecklesXxX said:
[...]
One that REALLY gets my goat is "should of" (which doesn't even fucking make sense). The problem is that it sounds like should've, which is a contraction of "should" and "have".

Example:
I should've paid more attention in English class. OR
I should have paid more attention in English class.
=same thing.

Same error is prevalent with "could of" "would of" and "must of". The legit way of saying it is "could have (could've)" "would have (would've)" and "must have (must've)". Get it right!

The worst variation of this that I've seen is "had to of" (instead of "had to have"), as in:

Everyone had to of noticed the guy in the background during the public show.

This one doesn't even have a contraction ("had to've"?) that could explain the confusion.

Another common mistake is when people say "begs the question" when they mean "raises the question".
http://begthequestion.info/
Even newspeople get this wrong and the incorrect usage has probably become acceptable (like "could care less").

Reactions: Jupiter551
Your and You're is obvious.

But #2 and I didn't know this was as big of a problem as it was until I started spending more time on forums and social networks:

Loose and lose. "I'm such a looser" Yes, yes you are. "Your going to loose" well now I am confused and angry.

This is the best place I can think to put this...

LADY LUNA'S GUIDE TO AFFECT VS EFFECT

a is for action, so affect is an action-word, or verb.
If, when you change the sentence to past tense, you write it with an -ed, you want affected. If you are doing it now, you are affecting something. You should NEVER use "effected". Just like you don't "catted", and you don't "catting", you don't "effected" or "effecting". You affected or are affecting.

effect is a noun. You remember this by remembering that affect is the verb, so if it's not a verb, you want to use effect. Thus, it's "special effects", and "I had an effect". If you change the sentence to plural and want to add an "s", then you want effects. Just like you've never owned a run, you've never had an affect.

It gets confusing because of today's trend of switching nouns and verbs. "I went running" is interchangeable with "I had a run". Run has become a noun in the second sentence, but run is supposed to be a verb. Thus, it's how you're using it in a sentence that makes most words a verb or a noun. But with affect and effect, literally the ONLY difference between the two words is that you do affect things or you have an effect.

This is a giant pet peeve of mine, and it's gotten worse... especially since browsers have learned to ignore prefix and suffix with spell check. If the base is a real word, then adding -ed or -ing to it is perfectly acceptable to chrome.

Hah... both of the ones I get riled about were covered waaaay back on the first page. Either this thread was started during one of my lapses in visiting ACF or I just fail.

For the record the ones that get to me are then vs. than and formerly vs. formally. I see them both used incorrectly SO often by people I feel like should know better.

Also, I struggled with those myself for a while, Luna, until I finally pulled my head out of my ass, and actually thought about it logically rather than trying to memorize which to use when. I hated it when I was in school, but I am so glad they taught us how to diagram sentences to illustrate how to break them down into their pieces. I don't remember the proper way to do the different lines and such any more, but I can still think about a sentence as an equation to identify its parts. It makes all the difference in my head.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Thank you for posting that Luna! I constantly get those mixed up and can never remember if it's e for noun or a for noun; maybe now I'll remember. It's a- verb and e- noun. :thumbleft:

Mirra said:
.... then vs. than

those aren't even close to the same usage... however... My abysmal typing skills [aka, my fat fingers] don't want to cooperate and frequently switch the A and E's for some reason..... :think: :shifty:

I know they have already been mentioned but your/you're and then/than bug me more than any others.

SoTxBob said:
Mirra said:
.... then vs. than

those aren't even close to the same usage... however... My abysmal typing skills [aka, my fat fingers] don't want to cooperate and frequently switch the A and E's for some reason..... :think: :shifty:
I agree. And yet so many people use then when they mean than. You wouldn't believe how many people type "less then" "better then" etc. The opposite doesn't seem to happen as often but is still maddening when it does.

LadyLuna said:
This is the best place I can think to put this...

LADY LUNA'S GUIDE TO AFFECT VS EFFECT

a is for action, so affect is an action-word, or verb.
If, when you change the sentence to past tense, you write it with an -ed, you want affected. If you are doing it now, you are affecting something. You should NEVER use "effected". Just like you don't "catted", and you don't "catting", you don't "effected" or "effecting". You affected or are affecting.

effect is a noun. You remember this by remembering that affect is the verb, so if it's not a verb, you want to use effect. Thus, it's "special effects", and "I had an effect". If you change the sentence to plural and want to add an "s", then you want effects. Just like you've never owned a run, you've never had an affect.

It gets confusing because of today's trend of switching nouns and verbs. "I went running" is interchangeable with "I had a run". Run has become a noun in the second sentence, but run is supposed to be a verb. Thus, it's how you're using it in a sentence that makes most words a verb or a noun. But with affect and effect, literally the ONLY difference between the two words is that you do affect things or you have an effect.

This is a giant pet peeve of mine, and it's gotten worse... especially since browsers have learned to ignore prefix and suffix with spell check. If the base is a real word, then adding -ed or -ing to it is perfectly acceptable to chrome.
Very good advice, and what adds to the confusion is that both effect and affect have verb and noun usages.

Effect as a verb means "to cause to come into being," as in "he effected the change in our schedule." (he caused the change)

Affect as a noun is quite obscure and most folks will be safe avoiding it entirely.

Feeling or emotion, especially as manifested by facial expression or body language: "The soldiers seen on television had been carefully chosen for blandness of affect" –Norman Mailer.

:) I never liked Mailer's prose anyway.

Reactions: LadyLuna and Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.