AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Threw and through....

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
blackxrose said:
AmberCutie said:
Occasional typos are different than constanrt misuse of a word. Don't you agree?
Definitely. Although I still feel pretty stupid for missing something so obvious. In my defense, I had to take my meds because my double vision was back. lol

I agree, those constanrt typos can be funny too. :p

Bocefish said:
blackxrose said:
AmberCutie said:
Occasional typos are different than constanrt misuse of a word. Don't you agree?
Definitely. Although I still feel pretty stupid for missing something so obvious. In my defense, I had to take my meds because my double vision was back. lol

Oh fuck my life.

LOL, everybody screws up. I find most typos and wrong word spellings/usages amusing. I still have to try and remember from grade school which affect/effect word to use and the a/an thing confuses me sometimes too.

Jupiter551 said:
Nordling said:
Yes, plus words beginning with "h" can vary by individual. "A history lesson" or "an history lesson" are both correct depending on how much stress the speaker uses on the 'h' when enunciating "history."
:think: how do you figure that? You'd have to mispronounce history in the first place ("istory") to justify using "an" in front of it. An is correctly used in front of some words beginning with H but "history" certainly isn't one. Just because you decide to erroneously skip the consonant you don't get grammatical points for treating the word as though it begins with a vowel.
Think regional dialects. Yes, in most cases "a history" is what you'll hear. But in some dialects, the h is barely aspirated and you'll see that "an" used. Dialects are not "incorrect." They're simply different.

Now, is the Geico lizard UK or Australian? Or is it some American guy trying to sound "commonwealthy." :)

A better example is:

In the case of words beginning with h, an is always required when h is silent; as "an heir;" when h is aspirated, a is required, unless the accent is on the second syllable, when an is used; as "a history;" an historian."

"An historian" for many may simply be easier to say, and yes, I realize that being lazy isn't an excuse, but I'll compromise on this one and say "an historian" not because it's easier but because it sounds better.

Indefinite Articles: a and an

"A" and "an" signal that the noun modified is indefinite, referring to any member of a group. For example:

"My daughter really wants a dog for Christmas." This refers to any dog. We don't know which dog because we haven't found the dog yet.
"Somebody call a policeman!" This refers to any policeman. We don't need a specific policeman; we need any policeman who is available.
"When I was at the zoo, I saw an elephant!" Here, we're talking about a single, non-specific thing, in this case an elephant. There are probably several elephants at the zoo, but there's only one we're talking about here.
Remember, using a or an depends on the sound that begins the next word. So...

a + singular noun beginning with a consonant: a boy; a car; a bike; a zoo; a dog
an + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an elephant; an egg; an apple; an idiot; an orphan
a + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound: a user (sounds like 'yoo-zer,' i.e. begins with a consonant 'y' sound, so 'a' is used); a university; a unicycle
an + nouns starting with silent "h": an hour
a + nouns starting with a pronounced "h": a horse
In some cases where "h" is pronounced, such as "historical," you can use an. However, a is more commonly used and preferred.
A historical event is worth recording.
Remember that these rules also apply when you use acronyms:

Introductory Composition at Purdue (ICaP) handles first-year writing at the University. Therefore, an ICaP memo generally discusses issues concerning English 106 instructors.
Another case where this rule applies is when acronyms start with consonant letters but have vowel sounds:

An MSDS (material safety data sheet) was used to record the data. An SPCC plan (Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures plan) will help us prepare for the worst.
If the noun is modified by an adjective, the choice between a and an depends on the initial sound of the adjective that immediately follows the article:

a broken egg
an unusual problem
a European country (sounds like 'yer-o-pi-an,' i.e. begins with consonant 'y' sound)
Remember, too, that in English, the indefinite articles are used to indicate membership in a group:

I am a teacher. (I am a member of a large group known as teachers.)
Brian is an Irishman. (Brian is a member of the people known as Irish.)
Seiko is a practicing Buddhist. (Seiko is a member of the group of people known as Buddhists.)

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/540/01/

blackxrose said:
AmberCutie said:
I knew it was a typo, too. I just wanted to kid with you. ;)
We ALL do things like that. I think that happens mostly because the spellchecker does not point out those types of typos as errors.

AmberCutie said:
Bocefish said:
blackxrose said:
AmberCutie said:

Oh fuck my life.

I had assumed this was intentional. A little typo to get your point across.

I simply have to agree with all of the misuses previously posted, however I had a few points I wanted to comment on.

I cannot stand when "an" is placed in front of an "h" unless it is in a word such as herb or heir where the "h" is not typically pronounced. "an historian" still sounds wrong to me and is hard to say. If I say it in this manner I find myself cutting off the "h".

Also, while Americans are constantly mangling the language as it is today I would suggest that American English versus British English are simply separate evolutionary paths of the same language and therefor the differences between the two cannot be considered a misuse or a misspelling.

I also believe that, while guesstimate has been accepted into the dictionary it is such a stupid word that we should all stop using it so that it will be removed.

I could go on but I feel myself heading towards a "when I was in school" rant, and those are never pretty.

Got a wee bit of an English lesson in here. I always thought a before a word beginning with a consonant while an before a vowel was a cut and dry rule. Guess it's not that simple. ;)

Blackxrose touched on cheque/check and colour/color. In Canada there are a few words that are spelled differently from American English, but are still correct spellings. Examples:

Colour/Color = Colour is how it's spelled in Canada. Color is American English.

Cheque/Check = It gets a little weird in Canada because cheque is the common spelling for bank terminology, like "I wrote a cheque" or "I'm depositing money into my chequing account". However, check is the proper spelling for things like "checkmate" in chess, "bodycheck" in hockey, "spellcheck" when on forums.

Center/Centre = Once again, this another weird one. Center should never be used at any time; it should always be spelled centre, as in "the centre scored a goal" "the centre fielder caught the ball" "drill a hole in the centre of the board" "I went to a conference at the MyFreeCams Centre"

Tire/Tyre = This is the word used when referring to the rubber object that's on an automobile. In Canadian and American English, "tire" is the proper spelling, while in the United Kingdom "tyre" is used. What I don't know is if the British spell the word "tired" as in "I'm feeling tired" with an i or a y.

ViruSphere said:
Got a wee bit of an English lesson in here. I always thought a before a word beginning with a consonant while an before a vowel was a cut and dry rule. Guess it's not that simple. ;)

Blackxrose touched on cheque/check and colour/color. In Canada there are a few words that are spelled differently from American English, but are still correct spellings. Examples:

Cheque/Check = It gets a little weird in Canada because cheque is the common spelling for bank terminology, like "I wrote a cheque" or "I'm depositing money into my chequing account". However, check is the proper spelling for things like "checkmate" in chess, "bodycheck" in hockey, "spellcheck" when on forums.

Center/Centre = Once again, this another weird one. Center should never be used at any time; it should always be spelled centre, as in "the centre scored a goal" "the centre fielder caught the ball" "drill a hole in the centre of the board" "I went to a conference at the MyFreeCams Centre"

Tire/Tyre = This is the word used when referring to the rubber object that's on an automobile. In Canadian and American English, "tire" is the proper spelling, while in the United Kingdom "tyre" is used. What I don't know is if the British spell the word "tired" as in "I'm feeling tired" with an i or a y.
Yup, in agreement with all of that, cheque and check is used the same in Britain, as is centre.

P.S: I don't think I will ever get tired of this thread! :dance:

ViruSphere said:

Yes, those are all correct in standard English with the exception of "tire". Check/center/color are all "adjusted" for the American market (perhaps they had trouble with the "pronunseeayshun" if it was spelled traditionally :p )

Stay with me folks, this one is a little tough.

Definition of lot:

Pronoun: A large number or amount; a great deal: "there are a lot of actors in the cast"; "we had lots of fun".
Adverb: A great deal; much: "my life is a lot better now".
Noun: A particular group, collection, or set of people or things: "it's just one lot of rich people stealing from another".
Verb: Divide (items) into lots for sale at an auction: "the contents have already been lotted up, and the auction takes place on Monday".

"Alot" is not a word. It only exists in crappy sentences, so please stop using it.

Reactions: SophiaLocke
Jupiter551 said:
Nordling said:
Lot.

Not to be confused with the husband of a pillar of salt. :)

You've now used up your weekly allotment of horrible jokes things that make no sense :p
FTFY

(Honestly even google couldn't help me understand.)

AmberCutie said:
Jupiter551 said:
Nordling said:
Lot.

You've now used up your weekly allotment of horrible jokes things that make no sense :p
FTFY

He's referring to Lot's wife who was turned into a pillar of salt for turning around and looking at someone she wasn't s'pose to I think. From the good old book of Genesis in the Old Testament.

Reactions: Nordling
KarmelKiss said:
AmberCutie said:
Jupiter551 said:
Nordling said:
Lot.

FTFY

He's referring to Lot's wife who was turned into a pillar of salt for turning around and looking at someone she wasn't s'pose to I think. From the good old book of Genesis in the Old Testament.
Sounds like a great book of fairy tales! I should check it out sometime...

Reactions: FrecklesXxX
AmberCutie said:

Warning, many of the stories contained are rated X. I'm amazed they encourage kids to read the thing, then complain about what's shown on TV!

LadyLuna said:
AmberCutie said:

Warning, many of the stories contained are rated X. I'm amazed they encourage kids to read the thing, then complain about what's shown on TV!
It's got murder, adultery, prostitution, war, stealing, pillaging, raping, back stabbing, plagues, human sacrifice, the end of the world, demon possesion, etc. At one point in time I had read the whole thing but that was probably 10 years ago. I had nightmares from some of the "stories" in it.

In a nutshell. Lot lives in a town called Sodom and while entertaining two "magic men from Heaven," a crowd forms in the street made up of men who demand that Lot turn over his guests to them so they can ass rape them. Lot, being a GREAT host, instead offers his daughters. Great dad, eh?

Later, while fleeing the city, his wife looks back (which the magic sky fairy told them not to do) at the city and is turned into a pillar of salt.

At the loss of his wife, Lot's daughters felt bad that his lineage was in danger of not having a son to carry on the family name so they get him drunk and screw him on two succeeding nights and both get pregnant.

Great fairy story, eh? :)

Reactions: LailaBaise
Oh, one that I find very annoying...

"Anyways" when they really mean "anyway." As far as I can determine, there is no circumstance where adding an "s" to anyway is proper.

Yeah, I know some folks do it just to sound cool--but it doesn't sound cool. :)

Nordling said:

"Anyways" when they really mean "anyway." As far as I can determine, there is no circumstance where adding an "s" to anyway is proper.

.... Anywho....

:whistle:

I'm guilty of using anyways or anywho as opposed to the correct version.

AmberCutie said:
Nordling said:

.... Anywho....

:whistle:

I'm guilty of using anyways or anywho as opposed to the correct version.
Luckily, you're cool anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.