AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Tips vs donations

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hornygods said:
I do realise that this may be a sensitive topic, but what does it cost for a cam-model to live, on average?

Why do you need to know this? I don't mean to sound rude. :) I'm just curious as to why you're asking for this kind of information.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not seeking the information for any gain - it's merely a question of curiosity as I do wonder how lower-camscore girls manage to sustain themselves with a low token-income, if MFC is their only source of money. It's why I consider it to be a relevant question. I do apologize if this is considered too personal - I don't want anyone to feel obliged to respond to it.

hornygods said:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not seeking the information for any gain - it's merely a question of curiosity as I do wonder how lower-camscore girls manage to sustain themselves with a low token-income, if MFC is their only source of money. It's why I consider it to be a relevant question. I do apologize if this is considered too personal - I don't want anyone to feel obliged to respond to it.
I know a Russian model fairly well. Camming, at the present time, is her best available source of income. I think many of the european models from countries like Russia, Ukraine, etc, with low cam scores have low cam scores because they are working multiple sites.

It costs the same amount of money for a camgirl to live as any other profession.
A high camscore model probably lives a bit more like a dentist or lawyer, a mid range model probably lives somewhat like a teacher or real estate agent, and a low camscore model probably lives a bit more like anyone would in a minimum wage to entry level job. Even at minimum, wage, camming was WAY BETTER than comparable jobs.

I think something members need to know, because they keep asking, is we do the same things with our money as anyone else you'd see walking down the street.

Groceries, bill, rent/mortgage, clothing, maybe going on a date or out with friends on the weekend. The only difference is we probably pay more for internet and electricity than the average person and we have to buy our own insurance and dont pay into a pension plan. But really, I dont think many models would be willing to tell you their income or budget, just like your waitress or dentist wouldnt and they'd probably be offended if you asked.

LadyLuna said:
1- As a cammodel, I need to be energetic all the time. No problem, just use soda, right? Wrong. As a cammodel, I have to watch my health carefully. So a diet that's perfectly acceptable for a job like running a gas station (that's how I refer to clerks who are on second shift, since they are the only ones there and do everything to run it) is not acceptable while on camera.

2- As a cammodel, I have to stay hydrated. This is actually crucial, since my body's natural state is slightly dehydrated, and my pussy doesn't like to stay wet for long periods of time. This means I drink a hell of a lot more now. But again, it's gotta be healthy drinks. And not as much soda or coffee.

3- As a cammodel, I need a separate room. Technically, I *can* cam in the room I sleep in, and have done so, but for my mental health, it's much better for me to have a separate room. This cuts down on restless nights due to the smells associated, or due to the camera bothering me just by being in the same room.

4- As a cammodel, I use a hella lot more electricity than not. Example: my first year paying the electricity bill, it was at 120 for heating, 26 when I didn't need to run the heat all the time and didn't really need ac yet. As a cammodel, my electricity bill has never been lower than 50.

5- As a cammodel, I have to keep my camroom warm enough for me to be nude in for extended periods of time. I also have to be sure the rest of my apartment is not such a different temperature that I'm constantly sick.

While everything he listed is necessary for life, it's necessary to a bigger degree as a model. If I didn't need to stay in perfect health, I could subsist on Ramen 2 out of 3 meals a day. But since I can't afford to be low on energy, and can't afford to get sick, I have to make sure I get enough fruits, vegetables, meat, and so on. That's expensive. I could live with keeping the heat down to where I need to wear pants and a sweater all day, except my job requires me to be nude. My roommate and I would be fine in a one-bedroom apartment, but we need the extra room so we don't have to live with the smells of anal while we try to sleep. Not to mention so he can sleep while I work.

Since they are needed to a greater degree, and I wouldn't spend as much money on it if I wasn't a model, they are work expenses.

I just wanted to expand on this,

As far as housing: room-mates and living with my parents are not an option, if I want to continue working. Not just for the obvious privacy reasons, but for my own sanity. If I go into a deep depression, Im not going to be on cam.

And food is a big thing as well. If I just eat 99 cent boxes of insta pasta all the time, I'll get fat. Good food costs more money, and we tend to put a lot of money and energy into maintaining a certain body shape or weight. Nothing wrong with bigger models, but its a niche camming market that doesn't fit my target demographic. Energy is a huge thing too- my life has improved a gazillion times since starting vitamins and protein shakes. Cam models may also need to buy a gym membership or if its within their means, hire a personal trainer. Our body is our business, and as superficial as it may be, we try to maintain it.

Thats not even including things like manicures,pedicures, hair extensions/cut/color, makeup, waxing, lingerie etc. Members might not *notice* that I do these things, but they sure as hell would if I stopped! If I was covered in shave bumps, stopped taking care of my nails and hair and never wore makeup, Id probably be a lot less successful.

Jessi said:
I think something members need to know, because they keep asking, is we do the same things with our money as anyone else you'd see walking down the street.

But really, I dont think many models would be willing to tell you their income or budget, just like your waitress or dentist wouldnt and they'd probably be offended if you asked.

THIS!

LadyLuna said:
My roommate and I would be fine in a one-bedroom apartment, but we need the extra room so we don't have to live with the smells of anal while we try to sleep.
The smells....:eek:

The_Brown_Fox said:
hornygods said:
I do realise that this may be a sensitive topic, but what does it cost for a cam-model to live, on average?

Why do you need to know this? I don't mean to sound rude. :) I'm just curious as to why you're asking for this kind of information.

He's asking because I pointed out that as a camgirl, the normal costs of living get a bit higher.

I honestly don't know the actual numbers. I know that the better I eat, the more I can work, and the more money I make when I do work. I know that the more I exercise, the less I can work, but it's offset by me making more when I do work. I know that the more I put into camming, the more I get out of it.

So, the numbers really depend on how much the girl puts in and gets out. I know that for me, no matter how much I put in, I never do more than break even when I include all the bills. But I also found out rather quickly that unless I put a certain amount in, I don't even break even with the bills.

That magic number of how little a girl can put in and still break even with the bills, is gonna differ for every girl. And lots of girls can do more than break even. I'm just not one of them (I have that sort of luck that says 'oh, you have a bit of money, let me break your car.')

hornygods said:
Ah, the post I was responding to did not clarify, and therefore I was unaware of some of the additional costs (particularly those pertaining to well-being), although I understood that heating, electricity and other related expenditure would rise as a result of being a cam-model.

I do realise that this may be a sensitive topic, but what does it cost for a cam-model to live, on average? It may be important to note the peak/dips in costs too, if the variance is considerable (e.g. I personally double/triple my expenditure near the Christmas period).

This is a rediculous question! Not only is it rude to ask but even if everyone was cool talking about it it would be so varied from girl to girl. I mean cost of living is different in different areas so rent may be much more expensive for a model who lives in the city than for a model who lives in a more rural area. Some models have children to care for, so expenses may be more than for a model who has no kid Some models live at home with their parents and may have less bills to worry about than a model who lives on her own. Some models have more bills than others some could be paying off a vehicle still while others arent. Somes car insurance rates may be higher than others. Some may have a husband or live in boyfriend or roomate or whatever that they split expenses with.

And camscore doesn't always decide how awesome a quality of life a model may have. Lets say random 6000 cs model has 3 kids lives by herself in new york city. I bet her money is a bit tighter than random 5000 camscore model who has no children lives with husband who has a good job and they live in a super small town where cost of living is 1/3 of what it is in NYC. So no matter what judgements you might try and make on how certain models are living there is so much shit that needs to be taken into consideration.

Not sure if all that made sense :)

BootyEyes said:
Despite the misconception Cam Modelling is not a free job
Costs associated with Cam modelling include;

1. Internet (uhh, duhh)
2. Clothing (motivational cue)
3. Housing (place of work)
4. Electricity (in most cases)
5. Make Up (can be very expensive)
6. Nutritional Sustenance (models gotta eat)
7. Computer/Cam (i think this is imperative)
8. Hair Cuts/Dye (cool hair is cool)
*(daycare, car payments, social lubricant, toys, oil, lotions, cell phones/payments, postage, personal hygiene, health care.....................)

Please do not begin another thread extoling the virtues of friendship and why one must not pay for this.

I want to add a few more

Light bulbs
Dry Erase board (for some)
Post it notes :)
Tripod
New toys
Replacing old toys, you wouldnt believe the amount of toys ive broken from overuse since camming
lube
Monthly membership fees on video uploading sites (if you sell videos)
Gym membership
more advanced toys like fuck machines, sybian, stuff like that (which are very expensive)
If you have a room used just for camming it can cost quite a bit to furnish
Some girls might pay for photographers to do shoots and get pics they can sell

RainbowBryte said:
hornygods said:
Ah, the post I was responding to did not clarify, and therefore I was unaware of some of the additional costs (particularly those pertaining to well-being), although I understood that heating, electricity and other related expenditure would rise as a result of being a cam-model.

I do realise that this may be a sensitive topic, but what does it cost for a cam-model to live, on average? It may be important to note the peak/dips in costs too, if the variance is considerable (e.g. I personally double/triple my expenditure near the Christmas period).

This is a rediculous question! Not only is it rude to ask but even if everyone was cool talking about it it would be so varied from girl to girl. I mean cost of living is different in different areas so rent may be much more expensive for a model who lives in the city than for a model who lives in a more rural area. Some models have children to care for, so expenses may be more than for a model who has no kid Some models live at home with their parents and may have less bills to worry about than a model who lives on her own. Some models have more bills than others some could be paying off a vehicle still while others arent. Somes car insurance rates may be higher than others. Some may have a husband or live in boyfriend or roomate or whatever that they split expenses with.

And camscore doesn't always decide how awesome a quality of life a model may have. Lets say random 6000 cs model has 3 kids lives by herself in new york city. I bet her money is a bit tighter than random 5000 camscore model who has no children lives with husband who has a good job and they live in a super small town where cost of living is 1/3 of what it is in NYC. So no matter what judgements you might try and make on how certain models are living there is so much shit that needs to be taken into consideration.

I feel I could have phrased it better. I was asking because LadyLuna had made a point about it costing more to be a cam-model, so I was curious on how much it would require to sustain themselves on MFC. I do apologize if it has been insensitive, or caused any offense at all; I didn't intend that to be the case when I had composed my initial post. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have asked. Feel free to disregard it.

I do understand your point, but I don't think the variation is that high - but I can't be sure. Presumably, the most likely demographic to sign up on cam-sites would be the younger 18-25 age-group - either living with their parents or independently/with spouse - most of which without children yet. I will admit that it depends whether they're going to Uni, whether they have a spouse/children/both, and whether they live in the city.

I guess the only true answer is that it varies, but typically ranges from slightly more than a typical person to considerably more (depending on situation).

I think we should call an abrupt end to this dialogue before it gets any more heated. Once again, I do apologize for any offense caused.

Reactions: LadyLuna
hornygods said:
RainbowBryte said:
hornygods said:

I feel I could have phrased it better. I was asking because LadyLuna had made a point about it costing more to be a cam-model, so I was curious on how much it would require to sustain themselves on MFC. I do apologize if it has been insensitive, or caused any offense at all; I didn't intend that to be the case when I had composed my initial post. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have asked. Feel free to disregard it.

I do understand your point, but I don't think the variation is that high - but I can't be sure. Presumably, the most likely demographic to sign up on cam-sites would be the younger 18-25 age-group - either living with their parents or independently/with spouse - most of which without children yet. I will admit that it depends whether they're going to Uni, whether they have a spouse/children/both, and whether they live in the city.

I guess the only true answer is that it varies, but typically ranges from slightly more than a typical person to considerably more (depending on situation).

I think we should call an abrupt end to this dialogue before it gets any more heated. Once again, I do apologize for any offense caused.

I think I get what you are trying to say now. Not overall how much does it take for them to live but more like a question of how much MORE do most models spend since they started camming, on camming related expenses. Im not sure but I guess Ill have an idea when I do taxes next year and add up all the tax write offs :)

Indeed - it's closer to the objective of translating 'It costs more' to 'How much more?'

I do notice that my original question was closer to 'How much does it cost to live', but I should have phrased it to mean 'How much more does it cost to live?' since LadyLuna had pointed out precisely what costs more. I'll make a mental note to myself that I should read through what I write carefully before clicking 'Submit'.

Just wanted to clarify...I 'thanked' RainbowBryte's post because she made a lot of good points. No disrespect to you, hornygods. You're a pretty cool guy. :)

Reactions: RainbowBryte
The_Brown_Fox said:
Just wanted to clarify...I 'thanked' RainbowBryte's post because she made a lot of good points. No disrespect to you, hornygods. You're a pretty cool guy. :)

I don't think you're disrespecting me - just highly engaged in disputes like myself. I must say, it's what I believe to be an excellent trait (to be able to hold your own/win in an argument is important asset in daily life as well, since good reasoning leads to resolution whereas poor reasoning may lead to violence). I would like to point out that since we're veering slightly off-topic, it would be a good idea to get the discussion about tips going again.

I'll make a brief question to the OP - what purpose would the distinction between 'tipping' and 'contributing' have? (I consider 'contributing' to be a better term than 'donating' simply because it doesn't denote giving towards a charity - rather, a service).

Jessi said:
[snip of the list of additional expenditure, expanding from the other posts]

Our body is our business, and as superficial as it may be, we try to maintain it.

Thats not even including things like manicures,pedicures, hair extensions/cut/color, makeup, waxing, lingerie etc. Members might not *notice* that I do these things, but they sure as hell would if I stopped! If I was covered in shave bumps, stopped taking care of my nails and hair and never wore makeup, Id probably be a lot less successful.

I'm in a little personal conflict on these ideas. I understand the significance of beauty to income on MFC, but I don't think its the primary factor. In summary, I think its best expressed as "beauty gets people through the door - but the personality keeps them in." I have noted that these things still matter nonetheless, despite what members may claim.

To take a slightly different path; Is it worth it? (I preemptively apologize if this question causes any offense. I'm not trying to suggest that its a bad job or anything; I'm focused on the financial aspects.)

hornygods said:
"beauty gets people through the door - but the personality keeps them in."

I like this phrase a lot, and I agree with it! :)

My first year camming, I had about $800 in tax write-offs, and made a total of somewhere in the 16K range of income.

My second year camming, I had about $200 in tax write-offs and made a total of somewhere in the 11k range of income.

Where I live, if you're in a one person home, anywhere below 15k is considered poverty level income. Anything below 20k for a two-person home. I live in a two-person home, and for most of the first year and all of the second year have been the sole provider. Minimum wage the first year I worked was 7.35, last year I think it was 7.50. 40 hours a week, 52 weeks of working a year (one week paid vacation), $15,288 year 1, $15,600 year 2.

(Before you say I should get a "real job", I wasn't working 40 hours a week for more than a month or two. So really, I should be working more hours. which I'm working on increasing them slowly. But as I stated earlier, anytime I get a couple hundred in savings, life goes "oh, you have some extra money? Let me break your car!" And makes the repairs cost twice as much as what I managed to save up. Not exactly incentive to work more than I have to. x.x)

I can afford what I have, and a little bit of fun stuff now and then, but I'm definitely not living glamorous on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.