AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Today I Learned (TIL)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I learned, that America sometimes has dodgy things in the public water supply...

Florida resident dies from brain-eating amoeba

"A Florida resident has died after becoming infected with a rare brain-eating amoeba, officials say.
Health experts in Charlotte County, in southwest Florida, say the victim was probably infected after rinsing their nasal sinuses with tap water.
Naegleria fowleri infects the brain through the nose. Officials say that drinking it is not dangerous.
Infections are almost always fatal, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Officials have not identified the victim. On 23 February, the Florida Department of Heath said that a patient had been infected "possibly as a result of sinus rinse practices" utilising tap water."

"People who are infected contract a disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, disorientation, a stiff neck, a loss of balance, seizures and/or hallucinations.
According to the CDC, around three Americans get infected each year, often with deadly consequences.
Between 1962 and 2021, only four of the 154 people infected in the US survived."

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Today I learned never to try to put together a lego constructs set before having atleast 2 cups of coffee! I’m trying to do the Minecraft battleships one and HOLY HELL! I’m losing my mind! So difficult!

WHAT THE HELL LEGO ?????

Today I learned never to try to put together a lego constructs set before having atleast 2 cups of coffee! I’m trying to do the Minecraft battleships one and HOLY HELL! I’m losing my mind! So difficult!

WHAT THE HELL LEGO ?????
sounds like fun without coffee, not addicted to the stuff to care if i had any, but warm drink i suppose not bad, stiff drink works just as well i suppose too LOL
Cant have things being to easy now, what fun is putting something together to quick anyways, 1-2 hrs seems normal there LOL

• Funny!
Reactions: MarieElise
sounds like fun without coffee, not addicted to the stuff to care if i had any, but warm drink i suppose not bad, stiff drink works just as well i suppose too LOL
Cant have things being to easy now, what fun is putting something together to quick anyways, 1-2 hrs seems normal there LOL
My first LEGO took 8 hours to complete. It was a boat.

I cant take adhd medication so caffeine is all i have or i wouldn't even function. breastfeeding. not a case of addiction. But yes strong drink is fun at end of day too. stimulants slow people w adhd down, and let us focus and function like neurotypical people do just normally.

WHAT THE HELL LEGO ?????
OMG I totally agree! Every Christmas or Birthday with my extended family was always about the younger kids bringing me their new LEGO (or bike/radio-controlled car/Meccano/etc) and asking me to assemble it while they watched impatiently.
I guess the remaining adults were very happy to say that since I worked construction, that somehow qualified me to assemble plastic toys - "Go see your Uncle over there!"
And FWIW folk always seemed to buy the most complicated LEGO or Meccano kits that they could find :yikes:

OMG I totally agree! Every Christmas or Birthday with my extended family was always about the younger kids bringing me their new LEGO (or bike/radio-controlled car/Meccano/etc) and asking me to assemble it while they watched impatiently.
I guess the remaining adults were very happy to say that since I worked construction, that somehow qualified me to assemble plastic toys - "Go see your Uncle over there!"
And FWIW folk always seemed to buy the most complicated LEGO or Meccano kits that they could find :yikes:
Thank your lucky stars you're not my neighbor, or I'd be on your doorstep right now w The Gaurdian Battle 😂

Attachments

• LEGOTHEGAURDIANBATTLE.JPG
    LEGOTHEGAURDIANBATTLE.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Funny!
Reactions: rockin_rod
Thank your lucky stars you're not my neighbor, or I'd be on your doorstep right now w The Gaurdian Battle 😂
Does look complicated! I'd be tempted to just use up all the pieces and build some random spiky shapes and just argue that's how it's meant to be, the image is just a 'serving suggestion' like the disclaimer on food packaging :party:

• Funny!
Reactions: MarieElise
Today I learned, that America sometimes has dodgy things in the public water supply...

Florida resident dies from brain-eating amoeba

"A Florida resident has died after becoming infected with a rare brain-eating amoeba, officials say.
Health experts in Charlotte County, in southwest Florida, say the victim was probably infected after rinsing their nasal sinuses with tap water.
Naegleria fowleri infects the brain through the nose. Officials say that drinking it is not dangerous.
Infections are almost always fatal, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Officials have not identified the victim. On 23 February, the Florida Department of Heath said that a patient had been infected "possibly as a result of sinus rinse practices" utilising tap water."

"People who are infected contract a disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, disorientation, a stiff neck, a loss of balance, seizures and/or hallucinations.
According to the CDC, around three Americans get infected each year, often with deadly consequences.
Between 1962 and 2021, only four of the 154 people infected in the US survived."

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
yeahhhh someone gets one yearly down here in florida. usually from bodies of water or some moron tourist drinking/playing in the reclaimed water that's used to water plants/grass. never heard of this one. gonna stop using my neti pot lol here on out. but not surprised. florida's tap water is gross.

Today I learned how to reprogram a fire suppression system panel after a system fault from a dead backup battery.
I also learned that fire marshals share a lot of horror stories when you are just chit chatting.

Today I learned how to reprogram a fire suppression system panel after a system fault from a dead backup battery.
I also learned that fire marshals share a lot of horror stories when you are just chit chatting.
Company I used to work for had a team that did new hospital construction, and I was the Building Systems Engineer (looking after electrical, comms, fire, water, HVAC, medical gas systems etc) and the Fire guys were always the talkative ones.
Often interesting, but occasionally a little disturbing - especially if they decided to tell you how you could start a fire without leaving any trace of accelerant. Or tried to show you fire scene photos.....

• Wat?!
Reactions: Finchomatic
Company I used to work for had a team that did new hospital construction, and I was the Building Systems Engineer (looking after electrical, comms, fire, water, HVAC, medical gas systems etc) and the Fire guys were always the talkative ones.
Often interesting, but occasionally a little disturbing - especially if they decided to tell you how you could start a fire without leaving any trace of accelerant. Or tried to show you fire scene photos.....
Went fishing one day and get to the ramp to put in and see EMT down there. It's a river with rising water at any given moment and I hear the EMTs joking about the drowning victim, the cop called her a floater. It's how they cope.

Reactions: rockin_rod
It's how they cope.
I get it, you can't keep all that suppressed. I got called out once in the middle of the night to inspect a bridge structure after a semi-trailer had gone through the parapet railing.
When I got there, turned out it was carrying a load of live cattle. Some had survived, but were badly injured. The cops had to go and shoot them as humanely as possible, it was very distressing to be around.
Afterwards, there was a few jokes about having a BBQ; while it seemed in very poor humour, you could see in their eyes that it affected them badly and it was the only way they could try to make the situation lighter.

Reactions: Ozzie_
I would bet everyone's water supply has them.
yeahhhh someone gets one yearly down here in florida. usually from bodies of water or some moron tourist drinking/playing in the reclaimed water that's used to water plants/grass. never heard of this one. gonna stop using my neti pot lol here on out. but not surprised. florida's tap water is gross.

I think the issue is if you have enough in the water that is used for the initial supply then some of the amoeba's are in the cyst stage, and in the cyst stage they can survive normal chlorine levels, and end up in the final tap water.

Reverse-osmosis will remove the cyst's, and boiling will kill the cyst stage.

It seems to be an issue anyplace the water temp is high enough to have amoeba's.

I would expect everyone's water supply in those warmer areas to have this issue, and the cyst's can survive a long time, so even in winter there is risk that the cyst's are still float around, and no one filters the water aggressively enough to filter them out.

I would bet everyone's water supply has them.

I think the issue is if you have enough in the water that is used for the initial supply then some of the amoeba's are in the cyst stage, and in the cyst stage they can survive normal chlorine levels, and end up in the final tap water.

Reverse-osmosis will remove the cyst's, and boiling will kill the cyst stage.

It seems to be an issue anyplace the water temp is high enough to have amoeba's.

I would expect everyone's water supply in those warmer areas to have this issue, and the cyst's can survive a long time, so even in winter there is risk that the cyst's are still float around, and no one filters the water aggressively enough to filter them out.
Usually, the infection comes from lakes. This is the first i've heard of it from tap water. We do have regular water boil notices too, so i'm aware. The area where the guy got his brain friend was where a hurricane mostly hit this past september, so it could have been in relation. They usually do water boils after big storms too. So who knows. There was probably a runoff/leak.

But I'm telling ya Florida water is gross. A lot of newer homes have individual water treatments/filter systems. We have a private well at my current residence and use reverse osmosis and a uv filter.

But I'm telling ya Florida water is gross. A lot of newer homes have individual water treatments/filter systems. We have a private well at my current residence and use reverse osmosis and a uv filter.
You are spot-on with most Florida municipal water supplies being nasty. We also have a similar set up.... A well, reverse osmosis, water softener and UV. The water is actually really good but the municipal water supply in our city is pretty nasty. BUT, in my travels, I have encountered some states with water so bad it made FL's water seem like the nectar of the gods LOL

• Funny!
Reactions: AudriTwo

You are spot-on with most Florida municipal water supplies being nasty. We also have a similar set up.... A well, reverse osmosis, water softener and UV. The water is actually really good but the municipal water supply in our city is pretty nasty. BUT, in my travels, I have encountered some states with water so bad it made FL's water seem like the nectar of the gods LOL

This is another thing that amazes, stuns and in a way appals me about the USA. :(
Safe drinking water provided by the relevant municipalities when you turn on a tap (faucet) is a given here in Australia.

There are of course occasional blips in the supply, but extremely rarely, and issues must be reported immediately. For example in my small town (population 7000 or so) the council test the water regularly (weekly I think, maybe even daily in fact) and reports those results back to the relevant state govt authority. In the 27 years I have lived here I think there have been maybe 4 "boil water" alerts.

This is another thing that amazes, stuns and in a way appals me about the USA. :(
Safe drinking water provided by the relevant municipalities when you turn on a tap (faucet) is a given here in Australia.
Our entire infrastructure here, water supplies, electrical grid, roads, etc are an embarrassment to be honest

There are of course occasional blips in the supply, but extremely rarely, and issues must be reported immediately. For example in my small town (population 7000 or so) the council test the water regularly (weekly I think, maybe even daily in fact) and reports those results back to the relevant state govt authority. In the 27 years I have lived here I think there have been maybe 4 "boil water" alerts.

i swear my area has a water boil yearly. sometimes twice. it's why i hoard drinking water and tap water. it's so inconvenient not having access to tap water for ingestion. especially when you have animals that love knocking their water bowl lol.

our water does get tested, but i have no idea how often. i know private wells aren't legally required to do theirs, but it's recommended i think yearly?

Today I learned the hard way to keep on schedule with my hard drive file backups.
As long as the drives not dead and hasnt been completely overwritten you might be able to recover some of the data.
I have had good results recovering data with recuva.

ETA: its defiantly not a substitute for backing up though 😂

As long as the drives not dead and hasnt been completely overwritten you might be able to recover some of the data.
I have had good results recovering data with recuva.

ETA: its defiantly not a substitute for backing up though 😂

Thanks for the recommendation. I may have to try this out. It’s an external drive and it’s still spinning, just not showing up anymore when I connect it to a Mac or PC. However, an older PC did seem to know the drive existed, so all hope is not lost (yet).

Thanks for the recommendation. I may have to try this out. It’s an external drive and it’s still spinning, just not showing up anymore when I connect it to a Mac or PC. However, an older PC did seem to know the drive existed, so all hope is not lost (yet).
It might still get picked up by recuva, since one of the systems still finds it, i would assume there is something that was currupted that stops windows and mac mounting it. If you go into device manager in windows you should be able to see if it's getting picked up but not mounted or if nothing is being detected on the usb port. (since it's an external it could also be the usb board in the enclosure thats failing, so if all else fails you can always try pulling the drive out of it and plugging it into the system (assuming its a desktop) with a sata cable, if it's a laptop then you would need to grab a spare enclosure to do the same check (they are generally pretty cheap, you just need to know if the drive is 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch). Given that one system can still pick it up though I would think the usb controller is fine, but still worth checking if you cant get it working imo.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Smoothie
It might still get picked up by recuva, since one of the systems still finds it, i would assume there is something that was currupted that stops windows and mac mounting it. If you go into device manager in windows you should be able to see if it's getting picked up but not mounted or if nothing is being detected on the usb port. (since it's an external it could also be the usb board in the enclosure thats failing, so if all else fails you can always try pulling the drive out of it and plugging it into the system (assuming its a desktop) with a sata cable, if it's a laptop then you would need to grab a spare enclosure to do the same check (they are generally pretty cheap, you just need to know if the drive is 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch). Given that one system can still pick it up though I would think the usb controller is fine, but still worth checking if you cant get it working imo.

Yeah, I think that’s where I am at. The PC did show me the hard drive when I checked device manager, but it wasn’t mounting, therefore I couldn’t access any of the files. It actually crashed 2 different Macs when I tried it on those devices (and those had never been an issue before today).

Yeah, I think that’s where I am at. The PC did show me the hard drive when I checked device manager, but it wasn’t mounting, therefore I couldn’t access any of the files. It actually crashed 2 different Macs when I tried it on those devices (and those had never been an issue before today).
if it shows in device manager you might be able to manually mount it and assign it a drive letter.

the second post in this thread has some instructions on how to manually mount a drive in windows (it's an old post from windows 7 but the commands should still work on windows 10/11)

Reactions: Smoothie
Status
Not open for further replies.