AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Today I Learned (TIL)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I learned the hard way to keep on schedule with my hard drive file backups.

Brief follow-up on this: I wasn’t able to get my computer to mount the drive (manually or otherwise). I tried Recuva at @KingMarti ’s recommendation and that didn’t like my hard drive either.

Although I was not optimistic about it, I tried Disk Drill, and it worked. I am almost fully finished recovering my lost files, thankfully. It has cost me some money - buying more disk space to replace the dead hard drive, plus $89 for the Pro version of Disk Drill since the recovery limit on the free version was not enough for the data I needed to recover. But I consider the lost money to be my penalty for slacking off on file backups. At least I have my vacation/holiday photos back. :)

Brief follow-up on this: I wasn’t able to get my computer to mount the drive (manually or otherwise). I tried Recuva at @KingMarti ’s recommendation and that didn’t like my hard drive either.

Although I was not optimistic about it, I tried Disk Drill, and it worked. I am almost fully finished recovering my lost files, thankfully. It has cost me some money - buying more disk space to replace the dead hard drive, plus $89 for the Pro version of Disk Drill since the recovery limit on the free version was not enough for the data I needed to recover. But I consider the lost money to be my penalty for slacking off on file backups. At least I have my vacation/holiday photos back. :)
Local + offsite backups (like google drive / onedrive / dropbox) is the way to go. not sure what your technical proficiency is but chatgpt can properly help you get an automated backup set up so you dont even have to think about backing it up you'll just have either windows task scheduler or cron if it's on linux or a mac run a backup script that runs every day / week etc at a set time. chatgpt isnt perfect at writing code but it's decent with instructions, and explaining errors, and something simple like a backup script it shouldnt have too many issues with so might be helpful.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Smoothie
TIL cara cara oranges are delightfully sweet, less acidic than regular navel oranges, and have a hint of blackberrry notes to the meat of the fruit. They're also pink inside like grapefruits.
do you find them tastier than the regular ones?

Today I learned, that America sometimes has dodgy things in the public water supply...

Florida resident dies from brain-eating amoeba

"A Florida resident has died after becoming infected with a rare brain-eating amoeba, officials say.
Health experts in Charlotte County, in southwest Florida, say the victim was probably infected after rinsing their nasal sinuses with tap water.
Naegleria fowleri infects the brain through the nose. Officials say that drinking it is not dangerous.
Infections are almost always fatal, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Officials have not identified the victim. On 23 February, the Florida Department of Heath said that a patient had been infected "possibly as a result of sinus rinse practices" utilising tap water."

"People who are infected contract a disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, disorientation, a stiff neck, a loss of balance, seizures and/or hallucinations.
According to the CDC, around three Americans get infected each year, often with deadly consequences.
Between 1962 and 2021, only four of the 154 people infected in the US survived."

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Didn't official reps said it was okay to Ohio people too when that toxic stuff went down on minning stuff? I cannot remember the info correctly.

Today I learned, that America sometimes has dodgy things in the public water supply...

"A Florida resident has died after becoming infected with a rare brain-eating amoeba, officials say.
Health experts in Charlotte County, in southwest Florida, say the victim was probably infected after rinsing their nasal sinuses with tap water.
Naegleria fowleri infects the brain through the nose. Officials say that drinking it is not dangerous.
Infections are almost always fatal, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Officials have not identified the victim. On 23 February, the Florida Department of Heath said that a patient had been infected "possibly as a result of sinus rinse practices" utilising tap water."

"People who are infected contract a disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, disorientation, a stiff neck, a loss of balance, seizures and/or hallucinations.
According to the CDC, around three Americans get infected each year, often with deadly consequences.
Between 1962 and 2021, only four of the 154 people infected in the US survived."

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Oh yep, when using netipot, must used boiled or distilled water (cooled down before use, of course.)

Another thing to know about using netipots: using plain water hurts, definitely add the little saline packet to it!

Today I learned that unless you are a massive website, there’s absolutely no need to use a costum code. A regular CMS like Wordpress should be enough. This makes Tag Manager and measuring so much easier. So, unless you’re as big as Fiverr, or a webcam site, stick to fucking simple!

I went through a phase years ago where I coded a website and a bunch of one-off web pages by hand, just for the experience/to try to learn by practice. I did learn plenty of code that way, but the main thing I learned was that starting from scratch is a pretty big pain in the ass, even once you kind of know what you’re doing.

Reactions: Dan Epstein
Oh yep, when using netipot, must used boiled or distilled water (cooled down before use, of course.)
The story about that person dying makes me wonder about the safety of swimming in freshwater situations in some places..... as a kid I used to love swimming in the local river, we had an old rope swing setup that used to launch us fast and far into a nice deep area and always ended up with water up the nose and inside the ears.

The story about that person dying makes me wonder about the safety of swimming in freshwater situations in some places..... as a kid I used to love swimming in the local river, we had an old rope swing setup that used to launch us fast and far into a nice deep area and always ended up with water up the nose and inside the ears.
It's not a good idea to go into the water. Flesh eating amoeba appear in various places and circumstances. I regularly go fishing throughout the year where tubers (people on innertubes) can float down the river and just relax and get drunk and watch nature happen. Then I see them dip their hats or hands or shirts into the river and pour the water on their face, noses upturned. No cases have been reported, because it's a river and the water moves insanely fast...but there have been cases reported in nearby lakes near the banks.

First Brown 72718.jpg

This is me with my first ever brown trout caught on that stretch of river. Yeah my nails are garbage but I knew I was going out that day. You can check e.coli levels on most water systems by hitting the name into google with +water conditions. If the e.coli is too high it'll be red and you should avoid it at all costs because a single fish splashing that lands in your mout will cause diarrhea.

Maybe it's just my naivete or innocence but it really is a non-issue in Australian waterways in my experience and to my knowledge.

I will not go into an old guy observation about "in my day" blah blah and how we seem to have raised 2 or maybe 3 generations that could be taken out by a white bread peanut butter sandwich (and now seemingly a dunking in freshwater) :rofl: ;)

Reactions: WickedTouch
Maybe it's just my naivete or innocence but it really is a non-issue in Australian waterways in my experience and to my knowledge.
There's a large lake near my home town that is a very popular spot for fishing, camping, swimming and recreational boat use; it's subject to toxic algal blooms in the warmer months, that cause it to be closed from time to time. Even when the 'closed' signage is displayed, people still ignore that, and continue to go in the water. I've often wondered more people don't get serious illnesses from doing that.
One of the reasons the story in this thread made me pause to reflect.

There's a large lake near my home town that is a very popular spot for fishing, camping, swimming and recreational boat use; it's subject to toxic algal blooms in the warmer months, that cause it to be closed from time to time. Even when the 'closed' signage is displayed, people still ignore that, and continue to go in the water. I've often wondered more people don't get serious illnesses from doing that.
One of the reasons the story in this thread made me pause to reflect.
true, blue green algae blooms are not unheard of in some places.

My grandmom was just telling me about this! I’ve just gotten over being a little sick (My voice was messed up too), and I had made a Facebook post about how I’d been using the NeilMed sinus rinse. I’d also been taking Vicks DayQuil and NyQuil (It’s so gross, however I hate swallowing the capsules).

NeilMed sinus rinse was recommended to me some years ago by my son’s school teacher (to use for him). The first time I read the instructions and saw the warning “Do not use tap water unless sterilized by boiling,” I had rolled my eyes and was like pffft…I just spent $15/$16 on a box of this stuff, and now they expect me to go out and buy fancy schmancy water just to shove it up the nose? 😂 My son’s teacher also laughed off the warning, and said that he uses it with tap water all the time. I think I’m gonna start complying with that warning now though.😳

I would be nice to know how difficult it is to get into the brain from the nose. Clearly it is somewhat difficult since almost anyone who has been in a lake/pond/river more than a few times has had to get water in their nose at least once.

I would be nice to know how difficult it is to get into the brain from the nose. Clearly it is somewhat difficult since almost anyone who has been in a lake/pond/river more than a few times has had to get water in their nose at least once.
You can get it from taking a shower. Most municipal water sources are from nearby fresh lakes that have been filtered as much as the law allows.

• Wat?!
Reactions: mira_leo
Oh that wonderful confusion when you wake up and don't know if the sun just went down or is about to come up.
Happened to me once. Napped quite late on a Sunday afternoon and woke up after dark, it was winter so when I looked at the clock I panicked for a few minutes thinking I had slept late on Monday morning and was gonna be late for work. 🤦‍♂️

Today I learned that banks can collapse in the Silicon Valley as well, and the shit storm I’ve been through 5 years ago, is a walk in the park in comparison.
I don't understand why they tried to run on FDICs though when SBV went down...crazy uneducated Americans.

I don't understand why they tried to run on FDICs though when SBV went down...crazy uneducated Americans.

The scary part is how things like this can set off a domino effect. People get spooked and take drastic financial measures, and all of a sudden there are additional problems caused by the overreaction.

Reactions: THE MOLLIE MARIE
The scary part is how things like this can set off a domino effect. People get spooked and take drastic financial measures, and all of a sudden there are additional problems caused by the overreaction.
As of 11:19 this morning Treasury Secretary Yellen said there will be no bailout for SVB. But, there will be assistance to the small businesses.

Many startups were using this bank and many of my clients are startups, so I’m bracing for impact.
I can only imagine the uncertainty and panic. From what I understand this is worse than the stock market collapsing for the account holders. Admittedly I know precisely zilch about tech investments and said stock market.

Status
Not open for further replies.