AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

What are you reading?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:D Yaaaaay! A page reading challenge is where one or more persons challenge themselves/each other to read a certain # of pages per day or week, perhaps attempt to increase over time if life allows. I don't necessarily know if it's been done before, but practically no idea is original so I'm assuming some fellow geeks have done it!

It's a frequent thing for people who are trying to read the entire Bible in one year. And some other book clubs have started the practice. It's a nice reminder to stop and take time for you, even when other things are calling. Kinda like having a workout buddy that helps keep you motivated.

It's a frequent thing for people who are trying to read the entire Bible in one year. And some other book clubs have started the practice. It's a nice reminder to stop and take time for you, even when other things are calling. Kinda like having a workout buddy that helps keep you motivated.

Not only one year but with the bible there's also other time frames. 6 months, 3 months, even one month. My dad and his wife are currently doing the two month cycle. Quite a common thing with many churches.

Wow! That's awesome, thanks for that tidbit of information. It really would be a great way to make sure I dedicate some time to myself and an old beloved hobby. I think I'll start it up this week, I mean WoT is 13 (w/o the prequel) books and I'm only re-reading the first one!

The Iowa Baseball Confederacy. Same author as Shoeless Joe, the book The Field of Dreams is based on. Which is the last book I read, and the next will probably be another W.P Kinsella.

I just finished "The Art Of Hearing Heartbeats" written by Jan-Philipp Sendker

I really disliked it, but would recommend it to those who are into lovely dovey fake romance stuffs.

Next book on the list is "And The Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Alma Katsu's The Taker, which is sort of a eerie, slow-burn paranormal romance that's really really dark. I've also met the author, who is a total sweetheart, and had some helpful advice about breaking into urban fantasy and other genre fiction.

New to me Sci-fi always goes on the list. Curious, have you read any of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber?

I'm currently re-reading with pleasure 11.22.63 by Stephen King. With Hulu making it a miniseries I thought I'd revisit the characters as I first imagined them; now I doubt I'll watch the show so they won't be washed away.

New to me Sci-fi always goes on the list. Curious, have you read any of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber?

I read the first 10 in that series then gave up. The first 5 or 6 in that series were amazing. I recommend those to anyone. But then he started changing his writing style after that and it wasn't to my liking. The first books were very concise, full of action, and edited down properly to make them great books. Then the exposition just started taking over in a massive way at about the halfway point in the series. (it gradually built up, so some may say it started a couple books earlier)

My theory is his books started having really good sales numbers and he became their [Baen publishing] best selling author. So one of two things happened. Either he no longer wanted the editors cutting all the unnecessary boring garbage in the book to make it a good one (doing their job), and he had enough clout at that point to force it. Or Baen publishing decided they wanted to print up longer books to use them as their lead in to raising the price of the hardcovers.

The result was the latter half of the series I found myself skipping page after page of stuff that had nothing to do with the main plots. It was just tossed in there as fluff filler and I couldn't have cared less about more and more of the book. Page after page of back history about various characters who have nothing to do with anything to come after and you just didn't need to read. It had no bearing on anything. The last book in the series I read I remember a chapter opening with a guy knocking on someone's office door and entering. The person sitting behind the desk then went into this long description of how he met that person, his skills, his combat history, his family, on and on... over 12 pages later he finally said 'hello' back. TWELVE pages of exposition, and zero dialogue, that did nothing for the plot that should have been cut by any competent editor.

At that precise point I realized I was paying $25 or more (hardcover) for what was nothing more than a short story with 600 pages of crap tossed in to fill out an overbloated book. I look at the huge page count of the books in other series he wrote after that and haven't read any David Weber since.

Just discovered a public library "outlet" where they sell out-of-circulation materials :rock: For 5 bucks and change I brought home an old thesaurus, a book on phrase origins, Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain (really effen good so far of course!), and Why I'm Like This by Cynthia Rylant-I don't like her stuff as much as I enjoy David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs, but I always have an appetite for autobiographical essays!

For sci-fi fans, I recommend subscribing to Lightspeed Magazine or, at least, visiting them to read the stories they put up every month for free. It's full of great sci-fi short stories and can expose you to new authors.

Reactions: Entertainer33
Irona 700 by Dave Duncan.

And I can't recommend it. I'm a little over halfway through and I think it's one of those predictable ones that just never gets going. And then somehow still manages to go downhill from there. The reviews on Amazon aren't too kind. And I can't disagree with them. I'm about to just stop reading it and move on to a new book.

51kwRhIQjJL.SX316.jpg

I'm reading Gone Girl currently. But I've only read a chapter because I'm on spring break and trying to cam a lot to save up tokens/money to move. Before that I read The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp. My degree is in English so I'm a big lover of books. Not that you have to have a degree to love books, lol. ;)

Reactions: Gen
So my network marketing team we have our book club - plus one of the company core commitments is to read daily.

So right now I am reading Outliers

I just finished reading Four Agreements

I have on the go The Ethical Slut 2nd edition and Dot Com Secrets.

and i try and read daily The Science of Getting Rich

Reactions: Vera
So my network marketing team we have our book club - plus one of the company core commitments is to read daily.

So right now I am reading Outliers

I have on the go The Ethical Slut 2nd edition and Dot Com Secrets.

I read Outliers and it is so true. If you want to be good at something, you should focus on how many hours you spend. If you spend 10,000 hours on something you're bound to be great at it.

Alot of Robert Greene ...."48 laws of power" at the moment im usually listening to it on audio books as I workout at the gym ..2 birds 1stone :)

Just discovered Peter Heller's The Dog Stars-I am enchanted! I also loved Z For Zachariah and The Road so I officially have a thing for the Apocalypse...

I actually just finished Holly Madison's book about her time at the playboy mansion. It was very well written and entertaining. She's putting out a new book soon that I am excited for!

I am trying to start reading again regularly and just read an article on building habits by starting really, really small. So I am just reading a couple of pages of a book per day. I was in waterstones sampling the new vegan cupcakes and before I knew it Bill Bryson's new book 'the road to little dribbling' was in my hands! After the first couple of days reading a page of two of that I also picked up two books fans recently sent me that I've been meaning to read, 'Sapiens: A Brief history of humankind', by Yuval Noah Harari, and 'The Story of Philosophy' by William James Durrant. I'm about a chapter into each of them now and it is getting easier to shut the world out and give myself to books again :) Next on my list is another present from a fan that's been waiting to be read for about a year now 'On Writing' by Stephen King.

Reactions: Vera and Gen
How have I never seen this thread?!

@xKatieBabyx I am working on "On Writing" right now! Phenomenal book, I can't put it down.

Currently reading The Way of Zen by Alan Watts, like 75% through. Interesting change of pace from my indulgent hedonism. Also rereading Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man, chapter by chapter with the Mister. Fun times.

Sheryl Sandberg's "LEAN IN"

As someone with a RL career, I found it really compelling. Preaching to the choir with messages about "stop waiting for someone to hand you a corner office. $%&@ing sit at the table, lean in and slay all day."
Long story short, easy straight forward and worth a read.

I'm currently re-reading Dean Koontz Velocity, I don't know why but this book just ticks all my boxes for a good read.

It's a thought provoking thriller, lots of choices made that you can't help but think what would I do?

It helps I always forget 'who done it' until I'm well into the book as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.