AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

When do you use the THANK button?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

When do you use the THANK button?

• I agree with the post

Votes: 109 96.5%
  • I wanted to say the same thing but wasn't fast enough/didn't know how

Votes: 96 85.0%
  • The person posting is HOT

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • To give an internet hug

Votes: 79 69.9%
  • When the post was well-written

Votes: 78 69.0%
  • When the post made me rethink things/change my mind

Votes: 85 75.2%
  • When the post is hilarious

Votes: 96 85.0%
  • When the post/person is stupid/wrong

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • When the person is "trolling"

Votes: 7 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoBelle

Cam Model
Apr 29, 2012
I use the THANK button in a variety of ways, depending on the context of the post. However, some people have gotten extremely hurt by what they think the thank means. So select all of the ways you have/could imagine using the Thank button. And if there are other reasons, list them below!

I tend to thank a lot (mainly because I tend to be on my phone waiting for stuff and it's easier than replying). I don't really know why anyone would choose the last two, unless they thought the person trolling was funny. As for the people getting hurt...I'd say take a break from the internet for a while, as people are going to have their opinions, and if they can't handle them they probably shouldn't be here (it's just a button after all, and there are MANY times people accidentally thank too).

I'm an extremely bi-polar "Thank you"er.
I'd say I spend 70% of my time in manic state wanting to shower everyone in love and thanks. 20% of the time I limit myself somewhat, then about 10% of the time I'm on the board I feel like I hate everything and everyone and just scroll by not wanting to thank anyone.

I checkmarked all the options except "when the person is wrong" since usually those are the cases. There's one other that you didn't mention that I do when I'm in the darkest depths of my manic state:
- "Ooops, accidently thanked everyone in the thread except that guy!"

I have a problem, I think I need professional "thank you" help.

Edit: I do have to admit that there is a handful of members that I geek out a bit when I get a thanks from due to greatly respecting their opinion and them limiting their thanks. I think optimally I wish I had the self control to do that. I've also gotten enjoyment from getting a lot of thanks for a post. I've never gotten upset by a lack of thanks or missing thanks though. As Ann_Sulu mentioned, it's just a silly button.

As the admin here, I have a couple reasons that others may not to hit the thank button.

I appreciate people starting threads that inspire thought and discussion.
I appreciate people taking the time to help newcomers find threads and information within the forum.
I appreciate when people make disagreeable replies in a constructive and mature way even when they know most people are on "the other side" of an argument. (Especially in cases where someone is being ganged up on, when someone has the guts to point out what's happening, but does it in the right way.)

I tend to thank those sort of posts. Because without people posting those things, ACF wouldn't be as awesome. All of the above keep this place running as well as it can. :)

I use the thank button usually for posts that I agree with or I feel that I sympathize/empathize with. And of course ones that make me laugh.

I also thanks posts that make me think or that don't really agree with my opinion but are worded in a constructive way.

I'm heavy-handed when it comes to the the THANK button, but I always hit it with purpose (except for an accidental THANKs that comes with a very sensitive phone screen).

Generally, I use if for all of the reasons that Iris posted as poll options with the exception of "The person posting is HOT," "When the post/person is stupid/wrong," and "When the person is trolling."

A lot of times the THANK button is the easiest way to give credit, acknowledgment, or support to someone or their post when I'm on my phone and don't have time to type out a reply or when they said more or less what I was thinking in regard to a topic. It's a very useful little tool :thumbleft:

I hit the thank button as a simple acknowledgement of a well written response in most cases.
Any others are usually in agreement.

I don't know if I have thanked someone out of sarcasm, but it is likely too.

Reactions: AshleyFox and Gen
I am very liberal with my Thanks button! If i agree with the post, if it was a good point that I hadn't thought of, if not many people have thanked it and I want them to know I read it, to send a hug, because it was funny, just as a "thanks for posting". I don't always agree with the post but if it got me thinking or they made a good, well thought-out argument I'll often thank it.

Then there's the accidental thank :lol: the worst kind!!!

Speaking of thanks, getting a thank from mynameisbob might be on my bucket list... :lol:

I thank for a variety of reasons on the list and a few not. Mostly when the mood strikes me that it should be thanked.
But If a lady posts a picture of her boobs, that always gets thanked. :dance:

I'm going to add a slight twist to this thread. We do thread drift all the time so you knew it was gonna happen anyway.

This is very akin to Favorites on twitter. I'll use Iris for example since she started this thread and coincidentally I just read her tweet. I was torn on hitting favorite for this one. I didn't want it to imply that I liked her ears ringing or beeping, but I wanted to say more along the lines of 'i'm sorry to hear that.' But I didn't think I should go with a full fledged reply for just saying that either. So, does a favorite get used to imply sympathy for a situation on twitter? Do people just favorite everything willy nilly? I know some seem to.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 2_6_2015 , 1_25_20 PM.jpg
    Screenshot - 2_6_2015 , 1_25_20 PM.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 464
If a favourite comes from someone I know, I'll usually figure it was sent as a hug. I remember a random new follower going back a bit in my Twitter and favouriting a tweet about failing an exam, which I found a bit weird, but hopefully it was a sympathy fave.

But for absolutely no discernible reason, a favourite seems less sympathetic than a hug so I might opt for a reply? Internet communication is unnecessarily complex, lol. Thanks to me can mean many things whereas favourites (to me) are more of an 'I like this' button. But again I couldn't tell you why and really, if someone favourites like that I think I'd assume it was a sympathetic fave or even just an acknowledgement of my tweet. Just less sympathetic than a like :lol: I'm starting to confuse myself.

I said this elsewhere but some of you seem to thank when a woman defends herself. Right or wrong doesn't matter, they just enjoy that she did.

Reactions: JubalCobb
Use it usually when someone posts something I wanted to say or bring up or as sort of an acknowledgement button when someone replies to one of my posts to let them know I read it. In the sexy stuff section I try to thank every post in the threads I look at because I don't want to play favorites or unintentionally make someone feel bad(not that anyone would feel bad if I didn't thank their posts but it just seems like the right thing to do) and because I appreciate everyone that shares. Also try to thank every post where people contribute to a thread I made and if a post makes me laugh.

I do my best to avoid it when it turns into the gang up on or circle jerk button. I also try to avoid thanking posts by people that make it clear that they don't like me much so they don't look at their posts and think "ugh that guy thanked my post".

I use for a multiple of reasons. I agree with the person posting; I agree with a particular point in a poster's thread; maybe a poster posted a photo I like. I also try to thank everyone that participates in any thread I start, even if that person and I don't see eye-to-eye on the subject I thank them for at least taking time to enter into open discussion.

But I guess the biggest reason I use the thank button is because none of y'all can actually hear me when I give a standing ovation to a model or member who posts something I agree with. Incidentally, my standing O's are freakin' awesome! :thumbleft:

Reactions: ACFFAN69 and Gen
PunkInDrublic said:
Use it usually when someone posts something I wanted to say or bring up or as sort of an acknowledgement button when someone replies to one of my posts to let them know I read it. In the sexy stuff section I try to thank every post in the threads I look at because I don't want to play favorites or unintentionally make someone feel bad(not that anyone would feel bad if I didn't thank their posts but it just seems like the right thing to do) and because I appreciate everyone that shares. Also try to thank every post where people contribute to a thread I made and if a post makes me laugh.

I do my best to avoid it when it turns into the gang up on or circle jerk button. I also try to avoid thanking posts by people that make it clear that they don't like me much so they don't look at their posts and think "ugh that guy thanked my post".

We all knew you are really a softie ;)

I have many reasons for doing it, but my main reason is an embarrassing one. I seem to have resting bitch face in real life, and I do not want to have the internet equivalent of that as well.

Sometimes I worry I thank, favorite, and reblog too much stuff though. I am sorry if I am ever too thankful.

GenXoxo said:
If a favourite comes from someone I know, I'll usually figure it was sent as a hug. I remember a random new follower going back a bit in my Twitter and favouriting a tweet about failing an exam, which I found a bit weird, but hopefully it was a sympathy fave.

But for absolutely no discernible reason, a favourite seems less sympathetic than a hug so I might opt for a reply? Internet communication is unnecessarily complex, lol. Thanks to me can mean many things whereas favourites (to me) are more of an 'I like this' button. But again I couldn't tell you why and really, if someone favourites like that I think I'd assume it was a sympathetic fave or even just an acknowledgement of my tweet. Just less sympathetic than a like :lol: I'm starting to confuse myself.

I am completely confused. :) But I definitely agree that internet communication is unnecessarily complex.

Twitter favorites are much more of popularity contest for me. A decent photo from a model almost always gets a fav, and more inclined to favorite somebody I really like than a random person even if they say the same thing.

In contrast, I try as much possible to issue thanks on ACF, on a post by post basis. I may disagree with 90% of the stuff you post, and find you generally obnoxious, but I'll happily thank a post, if you made a good point, especially if it is an unpopular one.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to things I "thank" on ACF. If I agree with someone's post, or most of it. Maybe its something hilarious or a pic of someone/something sexy that strikes my fancy :) . Also if I start a thread, I'll usually "thank" people who have contributed to the thread. I don't think too much into who "thanks" what post, everyone has their different reasons, and it's not for me to judge why or why not someone "thanked" a post (except for that time I posted pics of my face and people "thanked" it, and I blushed).

I hit the thanks button whenever a post gives me a particularly strong positive feeling. It could be something that made me smile, made me think/question/reassess, made me laugh, made me excited in the pants, or made me take comfort in the fact that other people see the world/topic like I do.

Once upon a time I used to be a regular visitor to a forum where "karma" was earned and spent, which stuck with me. So even here, I try to manage my own natural tendency to thank without participating by giving out thanks about as much as I receive them. That said, I've never been disappointed not to receive thanks, nor bothered by posts receiving thanks from particular people. (though I'll admit to being pleased to see a thanks from someone I particularly admire/respect)

Reactions: Gen
My ACF thanks are generally for one or more of the following: well-thought-out/insightful post, made an important point, said what I would have before I did, something I felt needed to be said, entertaining (usually funny).

Like most people, sometimes I'm more in a thanking mood than others, so the lack of a thank doesn't necessarily imply I didn't think the post was good.
I don't usually hug-thank or "I read that" thank. Just not my thing. I do give actual hugs, but you kind of need to be in the same place as I am for that.

On Jerry's slight detour (I thanked that because I want to talk about it) about Twitter, I know some people use favorites and retweets for "votes" : fave if you like my tits; retweet if you like my ass. A lot of (I guess) busy people seem to favorite just to say, "I saw your tweet." I don't use favorites to send a message. I don't favorite a lot because I really use it to tag tweets that I think I might enjoy seeing again later - generally something really funny, really cool, or really interesting. I actually have gone back and read the tweets I favorited; it was fun.

I rarely ever use the thank button (I think I've only ever intentionally pressed it like, twice). Mostly cos I'm lazy. But also cos I wouldn't necessarily want someone to think "oh, he thanked that post, but not mine, therefore he must disagree with me". Generally, if I agree or disagree with something strongly enough, I'll comment on it either way, so I've kind of avoided using the thank button as a handy "I agree" button. I also wouldn't want someone to think I didn't like them or ignored their posts simply because I didn't thank them. Mostly it's laziness though :?

And Gen and Iris... you've both posted pleeeeeeeeenty of posts that, were I a thanker, would have thanked multiple times over. But maybe, just maybe, one day, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day, maybe I'll press that button for real... I'm such a thanktease :shifty:

So few for "The person posting is HOT".
With all the models posting in "Sexy stuff" and "Advertise here", I would have think a lot more people would use this type of "thanks"

I usually always think "Thank you for sharing" when I hit that button. At least, that's as simple of a reason I can think of for me. It could have been for a pretty picture, a pretty thought, someone mustering up the courage to say something that isn't quite pretty but felt brave enough to share at the time or just eloquently stating an opposing view to mine. I don't think I've ever doubted a "thank" but I have felt doubt in the past when a post doesn't get a thank at all or few. Not every post, just the ones I personally found important sharing which are few. I suppose I just never question other people so much than I question myself when it comes to the thank button.

Status
Not open for further replies.