AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

12 killed and 38 injured at Dark Knight Rises midnight show

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2010
AURORA - There is one suspect in custody after 12 people were shot and killed at the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center. There were at least 38 people injured, according to Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates. Oates says 10 died at the theater and two died at the area hospital.

The new Batman movie called "The Dark Knight Rises" was opening at the theater during the shooting.

Aurora Medical Center released the phone number of 303-873-5292 for victims, families and friends to call to find out more information on patients' statuses. Aurora Police also set up a tipline at 303-739-1862. You can also contact Bonfils Blood Center to donate blood to help the victims. Their contact information is on their website here: http://www.bonfils.org/. They mostly need O negative, A negative and platelet donors.

NBC News has confirmed through two federal sources the shooting suspect's name is James Holmes. He is 24 years old.

Police say Holmes "appeared" at the front of one of the theaters, threw some type of gas or explosive device and started shooting. Police recovered a rifle, a handgun and a gas mask when they arrive on the scene. Another gun was discovered later inside the theater. Holmes was wearing a bulletproof vest, according to federal authorities.

"It was chaotic," one witness told 9NEWS. "We saw people running. We heard screaming from other theaters."

"I walked out and to my right, there was a girl shot in her knee - holding onto her mom and crying," another witness said. "I actually went to the back of the building where there were more victims. A guy with his leg blown open ... another guy shot in the foot ... a lady shot in her hand."

"The first thing we saw when we got out of the doors is a girl - [maybe] 13 or 14 years old with a gunshot wound to her chest," Shayla Roeder, who was in theater 8 at the time of the shooting, said. "She had this horrible look in her eyes. That's when we realized I think things were actually real. Every time we walked 10 or 15 steps, we would see someone walk out with blood [all] over them [and] cops following them saying they needed an ambulance."

Holmes, after being captured by police, told authorities he had explosive materials in his apartment. The police went to Holmes' apartment building at East 17th Avenue and Peoria Street in Aurora and evacuated the building immediately as a precautionary measure.

Police are searching Holmes' apartment to confirm that claim. 9NEWS is waiting to hear more information to see if they discovered any explosives in his apartment.

9NEWS has confirmed Holmes is scheduled to appear in court to face charges Monday afternoon.

9NEWS Reporter Jeremy Jojola interviewed two eyewitnesses who were in the theater when the shooting started.

"I saw a man walk in through the exit," one eyewitness told Jojola. "[He] looked like he had a gas mask on."

The witnesses say he threw two gas canisters into the theater after busting down the door. The witnesses said no one reacted at first - thinking he was a stunt for the movie.

"He looked so calm when he did it," the eyewitness said. "It was like scary. He waited for both the bombs to explode before he did anything. Then, after both of them exploded, he began to shoot."

The witnesses said he - at first - fired into the air and then started shooting towards the people.

"He had no specific target. He just started letting loose," the eyewitness said.

Both witnesses said one of the scariest parts was the shooter didn't say a word.

"Honestly, I thought I was gonna get shot," the eyewitness said. "I thought there was no way I was going to get out of there without getting shot."

Another eyewitness spoke to 9NEWS Reporter Brandon Rittiman about the mass shooting.

"It was a shootout scene," Alex Milano, who was in the movie theater next to the one where the shooting took place, said. "There were guns firing. Then, loud bangs came from the right of the theater. Smoke took over the entire theater and everything, and it was really thick. No one could really see anything."

Milano told Rittiman he and her sister thought the shooter was part of the movie.

"Me and my sister and my friends were wondering what was going on," Milano said. "Then, at that point, I saw something come through the wall. Multiple objects flew through the wall. I saw holes in the wall."

People slowly started to get up out of their seats and evacuate, Milano said.

"People stood up and started checking themselves," Milano said. "A couple of people were walking away, holding areas. I heard moaning like they were in pain. That's when I started to get worried."

Even at that point, Milano said there was mass confusion in the theater.

"We didn't really know something was happening until someone came [in] from the left entrance and told us we shouldn't go outside because there was a guy with a gun out there," Milano said.

Milano said he walked out of the theater and instantly smelled the tear gas bomb in the nearby theater.

"It was very thick, and it was choking me," Milano said. "I couldn't breathe at all. That's when the alarm started to sound, and that's when we knew things were serious. As soon as the alarm sounded, everyone stood up and started to make their way to the exit."

Milano said, at that point, he started to talk to witnesses who were in theater 9.

"I don't want to upset anybody by anything I say, but I don't think anyone should be kept in the dark about what happened," Milano told Rittiman. "The witness in theatre 9 was a young woman. I had asked her if she saw anything or if anything happened. What she described, at first, I didn't translate well because it sounded like madness to me. She said a man taller then her kicked through the door, and she said he was in a riot helmet. She said he had a bulletproof vest on. She said he was completely covered in black with guns. She said, after that point when she saw he was holding a gun, her and her boyfriend dropped to the floor and started to crawl to see if they could get away. They got up and started to run through the emergency exit. She said that when she turned around, all she saw was the guy slowly making his way up the stairs and just firing ... just picking random people."

Milano saw people coming out of the theater injured.

"I saw at least four or five people limping, wounded [and] slightly bloody," Milano said. "The most that I saw was a girl who was covered in blood, and she didn't have any wounds on her. It made me think the worst."

Milano says he also saw a little girl who looked extremely injured.

"A cop came walking through the door carrying a little girl in his arms and she wasn't moving. The really messed up part to me was [another witness] told whoever that she was talking to that she saw bullet holes in the little girl's back. I honestly can't think of any person who would intentionally hurt a little girl, so unfortunately, I think she just got caught in the crossfire."

Milano says his sister grabbed his arm and wanted to leave immediately.

"It was terrifying," Milano said. "As the older brother, you tell yourself over and over again, 'Don't lose your mind, don't lose your head. Keep calm and keep stress free so that you can help the ones who can't.' My little sister, unfortunately, was one of those. She was in tears, shaking, gripping as tight as she could to my arm and not letting go. Where I went, she wanted to be close to me. It is the scary thought that runs through your mind that you know you have to do everything you can do keep her safe, and at the same time you are worrying about everyone else."

Nicole Williams, with Swedish Medical Center, says the hospital was alerted to a mass casualty incident at 1:15 a.m. Friday.

Williams says the hospital was told to prepare for at least 20 patients. University Hospital confirmed to 9NEWS the youngest patient they have in their care is 3 months old. That baby's condition is unknown at this time. Hospital officials say the baby was not shot, but was taken into the hospital as a precautionary measure after the shooting.

"This is ridiculous," the eyewitness told Jojola. "We really want to know what was the point of it? There's no sense to it. We have no idea what to make of it. He's shooting little kids, he's shooting adults, he's shooting our friends we went to school with. It's just sad."

Both of the eyewitnesses grew up going to this movie theater.

"It was just a terrible sight," the eyewitness said.

Watch the full interview with two eyewitnesses below:

People started to flock to the theater once they learned about the shooting - checking to see if their friends and family were OK.

"We've been saying for a long time, this theater is not the safest theater in Aurora," one witness told 9NEWS Reporter Kevin Torres. "But when we go see movies here - I came to see Men in Black III [the other day] - there were two or three officers up front all the time. How are you supposed to know who's the bad guy and who's the good guy when something like this happens."

The witness said he knew a 12-year-old who was going to see the movie at the theater.

"All I know is the 12-year-old is OK," the witness said. "I'm not sure if he was in the theaters, but we know that he came to see the movie. I know he was taken to Gateway High School."

The Aurora Town Center is in the 14000 block of East Alameda Avenue in Aurora.

The FBI responded to the shooting to investigate further. Officers and deputies responded from almost every local police and sheriffs' department in the metropolitan area.

9NEWS has crews on scene. This article will be updated as more information is confirmed.

(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Re: 12 killed and 38 injured at Dark Knight Rises midnight s

And now that the copy and pasting news reporting is done, on to my personal reaction- I am so sorry for those who thought they could go to a movie theater and enjoy themselves for an evening that should have been nothing, but fun. My thoughts are with their family and friends who will have to deal with this for a long time. There is anger right now for this situation and thus any gun nut that will bitch and moan anytime anyone ever thinks of stricter gun laws and making the purchasing of guns even more difficult to do. But at least when I'm angry 12 people don't end up killed and 38 more injured. So in closing, fuck everything about this.

*Really? We're going with the same defense as Columbine? "Well if the teachers and Janitors and Lunch Ladies and other students were allowed to carry guns this would never have happened!"? Because in a dark room, and chaos going on, people running trampling over each other and SOMEONE ELSE decides to whip out his gun to play Rambo and start shooting he's not going to wind up taking someone else out on his own.

Not much to say except it was tough to wake up to this news today.

One witness said it happened during a scene where Ann Hathaway was in a shootout with police. He heard one really loud gunshot and his ears started ringing... he commented to his buddy that the sound effects are getting really good nowadays before he heard more shots when reality slowly kicked in.

The shooter just dropped out of medical school last month too, he was supposedly a PhD candidate in neuroscience. His mother didn't sound all that surprised it was her son according to some reports.

My heart goes out to people and families hurt by this nutjob.

schlmoe said:
Yeah, same exactly here.

It was the first thing Jawbs told me about as I zombi-ly walked into the computer room from bed. I don't know why but it hit me super hard and I feel all emotional about it.

I do have something to say about this thread though: I know this is going to turn into a pissing match about peoples' stances on gun rights, but try and keep it constructive and somewhat civil, please? Name calling, etc. doesn't need to be part of a discussion or debate.

AmberCutie said:
schlmoe said:

I do have something to say about this thread though: I know this is going to turn into a pissing match about peoples' stances on gun rights, but try and keep it constructive and somewhat civil, please? Name calling, etc. doesn't need to be part of a discussion or debate.

I will try to keep my piss short and sweet.

Bocefish said:
God damned gutless wonder slaughtering unarmed families and children going to see a movie! :angry4: One armed civilian with a permit to carry could have ended the whole thing long before it rose to massacre status!

And making it illegal to carry a gun might have meant the whole thing never happened.

There are many things I love about American culture but the one thing I don't think I'll ever, ever be able to comprehend is how there can be advocates for legal gun ownership when things like this happen (and they happen far too often).
And that's not me having a pop at Boce. He's entitled to his opinion; it's just an opinion I'll likely never understand.

I just realized the media is probably going to blame this on comics/movies. :-x So sick of the media placing blame on things that didn't do the actions. Sighh

FrankieChemical said:
I just realized the media is probably going to blame this on comics/movies. :-x So sick of the media placing blame on things that didn't do the actions. Sighh

They've all ready connected it to the 1986 comic...

r620-7287416e80922620fccb76fdf86fa724.jpg

http://washingtonexaminer.com/batman-mo ... le/2502701

Blaming inanimate objects for peoples actions is redonkulous. It's not the gun's fault either.

Reactions: SatanJonez

mynameisbob84 said:
So far the media have blamed gun laws (which I understand) and the politicians have blamed the lack of Christianity in schools (sweet Harry fuck...). So far, the comics/movies are safe.

Not quite.

Was the Batman movie shooting imitated from scene in 1986 comic?

&

Link between 'Dark Knight' film and Colorado shooting?

These headlines are pretty obviously just to get pages views, which is disgusting to begin with. Hopefully, the bigger news networks don't start taking that line of thought with anything more than a grain of salt.

Reactions: Nordling

FrankieChemical said:
mynameisbob84 said:
So far the media have blamed gun laws (which I understand) and the politicians have blamed the lack of Christianity in schools (sweet Harry fuck...). So far, the comics/movies are safe.

Not quite.

Was the Batman movie shooting imitated from scene in 1986 comic?

&

Link between 'Dark Knight' film and Colorado shooting?

These headlines are pretty obviously just to get pages views, which is disgusting to begin with. Hopefully, the bigger news networks don't start taking that line of thought with anything more than a grain of salt.

Well that's disappointing. There's really no need to heap hysterical stupidity on what's already a tragic situation. That benefits nobody.

More facepalm worthy commentary from the news.

Even IF some how this guy was 'inspired' by the movie, that doesn't make the movie bad or at fault. Nor does it make the comics the movie characters came from at fault.

That would be like saying "There was a shooting inspired by M&M's today. The perpetrator later told police that he started the shooting because he bought some of the chocolate treat and didn't receive any blue colored candies in his package." It would be LAUGHABLE to blame candy and I see people wanting to hint at or blatantly put the blame on the shoulders of comics and movies as laughable.

Reactions: LadyLuna

No, the blame for this should rest solely on the shooter. There should be no it's the movie/comics/gun control/he has no friends/he has a bad homelife kind of media circus around this. Dude shot up a theater. There really is no one else and nothing else to blame.

AllisonWilder said:
No, the blame for this should rest solely on the shooter. There should be no it's the movie/comics/gun control/he has no friends/he has a bad homelife kind of media circus around this. Dude shot up a theater. There really is no one else and nothing else to blame.

Basically this is how I see it as well. Had gun laws been stricter there's still a possibility this guy could have figured out other means to hurt those people. It's on him and on him alone.

The media is going to lay blame on anything but where it belongs, on the person who did the shooting. Some people are going to blame gun laws, movies, music, video games, comics etc etc but the real blame should fall on the PERSON who walked into the theater and not anything else. I am 100% for people owning guns and protecting there homes, families and possessions but that doesn't mean that because I own or a gun or the majority or people who own guns would ever think of doing something like this.

While I agree with Boce that at times having a permit to carry would be advantageous in certain situations I don't think it would of really helped this one, and probably would of caused more harm than good. When in a dark theater, in a traumatic situation, filled with panic and fear pulling out another gun just seems like it would add more fuel to the fire.

Also IMO making guns illegal is not the answer. If people want something badly enough they find ways to get it. If a person wants to have a gun they will, if they want to shoot somebody they will, no law is going to stop this from happening. No matter what you do or how you handle it there have always been and will always be bad people in this world and its just one of the things we have to live with.

This guy was no demented dimwit either, at least not outwardly that we know of. The local bartender knew the killer and said he was a pretty laid back guy. Initial knee jerk reactions are all too common, jumping to conclusions and blaming everything except the individual himself seems to be the norm with the media rating dramatists and politicians with an agenda. At least we may eventually get some answers as to why the deranged killer did it this time. Knowing why may actually help some of the victims put some reasoning and closure to this horrible tragedy.

This is so horribly sad :( it just makes you wonder what was going through this guys mind? I mean he's obviously very mentally disturbed, and had carefully planned it (the gas mask, the helmet and the bulletproof vest). I just don't get why the movie theatre? It makes so little sense :(.

On the whole gun issue, I am glad that I live in a country where guns are hard to get and only for game shooting. But I think when someone has an idea like this sadly very little will stop them. This guy's clearly sick and has taken time to plan it out, guns being illegal wouldn't have changed anything. Guns being dangerous is more that anyone can have them lying around the house, so if you get a bit emotional you could just pick it up and quickly shoot people/yourself without thinking.

This story's made me want to cry :icon-cry:

http://profiles.myfreecams.com/Isabella_deL

Reactions: sweetiebatman

Bocefish said:
This guy was no demented dimwit either, at least not outwardly that we know of. The local bartender knew the killer and said he was a pretty laid back guy. Initial knee jerk reactions are all too common, jumping to conclusions and blaming everything except the individual himself seems to be the norm with the media rating dramatists and politicians with an agenda. At least we may eventually get some answers as to why the deranged killer did it this time. Knowing why may actually help some of the victims put some reasoning and closure to this horrible tragedy.

We have two of these guys in prison in Australia since the 90s, and it hasn't helped much. Disenfranchised sociopaths will always find a reason. We once upon a time had a lighter gun laws. They are now much more stringent. It has resulted in a slight reduction in the domestic murder rate.

According to Wiki, the murder rate in the US is around 4 times higher than Australia, Canada or the UK. The murder rate in Russia is 4 times that of the US. The Murder rate in Central America and the Caribbean is 10 to 20 times higher than the US. No further comment other than I like living in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate

12 dead and 50 injured. This happend in my back yard so to speak. I did not know anyone that went to it, but my heart goes out to the Family's.

Reactions: camstory

This is such a devastating tragedy. People go out to have fun and end up being shot by a person who probably planned this out weeks in advance. He knew there would be a lot of people there. This saddens me. It makes me not want to go to a movie theater. I'm supposed to go watch the movie tonight, but I almost don't want to go now because I feel so badly for the people that got injured.

Reactions: camstory

It was good the debate on the Travyon Martin thread about gun control but that morphed out of something different entirely

this thread is not the time or the place to discuss the rights and wrongs of gun ownership

RIP the 12 dead, my thoughts and prayers are with your families

This is so sad. :crybaby:

I'm very confused as to why he trip-wired his entire apartment and went through the trouble to lay down what I understand are some pretty complex booby traps but then warned the police about it during his arrest. He no doubt prevented countless other injuries and fatalities by tipping them off to it, but it just seems so weird that he would. Obviously this guy had no respect for the safety and lives of others, I really doubt that he was hit by a sudden pang of regret.

I agree with everything the psychologist says near the end of the clip. The media has more to do with perpetuating this kind of behavior than they care to believe.

As well I also feel that the average person does not need to own fully automatic weapon nor a shotgun/rifle (unless the use is for hunting).

:twocents-02cents:

mynameisbob84 said:
Well that's disappointing. There's really no need to heap hysterical stupidity on what's already a tragic situation. That benefits nobody.
Completely agree with this.

Bocefish said:
God damned gutless wonder slaughtering unarmed families and children going to see a movie! :angry4: One armed civilian with a permit to carry could have ended the whole thing long before it rose to massacre status!

He was wearing body armor, so if someone had tried to stop him they probably would have died.

I would love to say it was just some crazy dude, but this seemed to have been planned since he had explosive traps in his apartment. He had to have sat around and planned going there and murdering families.

I feel so terrible for the victims and their families in these situations. I always find myself especially shocked by events like this where the murderer doesn't even target specific people who have wronged them. Completely random killing? I've heard the possible "whys" behind it but still it doesn't click with me. Maybe that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.