AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Best encoder for streamate?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sstrunks

Inactive Cam Model
Jul 27, 2017
Hello! I'm sorry if this question has already been asked but I've been having problems streaming on SM. I've only been using SMBroadcast and have noticed that once I hit about an hr into streaming my quality degrades and I start lagging, have serious delay or become pixellated. I usually have to close the app and restart and of course it clears the room and makes it more tedious to do long shifts. I am always on a wired connection and average upload speed is 3.5 mbps. I've heard that streaming from browser causes a lot of problems and makes it not show up as "HD" under your thumbnail. Then there's OBS, which I honestly know little about. What has worked best for you?

I also have a problem with my laptop (Macbook pro) overheating 30 mins-1 hr into streaming using SMBroadcast. The fan comes on and it's superloud. Is this from using SMBroadcast or is my laptop a puny weakling?

*Also, does anyone stream on SM 60 frames per second? Do you need serious specs for this or can most computers handle this?

Sorry for all of the questions, thank you!

Are you streaming with an SSD? How much ram and what processor does your Mac have?
Also, how many FPS can you hit right now the way you're streaming?
Also, could your fans be dusty? If it's been a while since you've cleaned them it could be causing some extra noise.
You can also check your task manager and make sure everything's closed and no background programs are running.
Chrome and spotify are super heavy, switch to another browser for chat and maybe use your phone or another computer for music.

Streamate will only show you as HD if you're using an encoder and hitting really high FPS and your equipment can handle the strain consistently. Broadcasting through browser will hurt your placement and is very veeeeery glitchy.

60FPS is pretty much beast mode for my computer and makes my CPU max out, I also don't think my Asus gaming laptop could handle it without some upgrades.
I'm running an i7 with 16gb of ram with an 250gb SSD as my main, I use the broadcaster and it works alright for me. I pretty much bought a beefy gaming laptop for streaming and streaming only though. I don't put anything on it that isn't related to streaming to keep it working clean. In the long term it's probably a good investment though. I'm now upgrading my internet hardware to keep my connection crispy~

I *think* you can use OBS with SM but don't quote me on that, maybe someone else can confirm.

I *think* you can use OBS with SM but don't quote me

This is correct. It's way better than smb. I prefer it and I have the same specs as you.

It's super easy to set up.

This is correct. It's way better than smb. I prefer it and I have the same specs as you.

It's super easy to set up.
Do you haves any trouble with the connection between OBS and the site?
I know how glitchy SM can be and I'm almost like scared OBS is gonna too much for it.
And in regards to placement, does SM favor its own encoder over a 3rd party like OBS?

I know how glitchy SM can be and I'm almost like scared OBS is gonna too much for it.
And in regards to placement, does SM favor its own encoder over a 3rd party like OBS?

I stopped experiencing my audio desyncing after switching and less drop in frames. Adobe encoder used to be what we used before sm created smb. I have had nothing but issues when they decided to create their own encoder. Such a bad experience that support would tell me to use obs.

To the OP knowing which year and model of macbook would help. That said if you MAX upload is 3.5mbps then definitely should be trying 60fps. 720p/30fps which is considered basic HD needs at least 2.5mbps to not look blurry. Usually the jump to 60fps you're looking a 3200kbps which mean 3.2mbps and your cap is 3.5mbps in a perfect situation. ISP usually don't guarantee your maximum speed.

Also OBS does take processor so if you're also trying to multi stream you're going to have even more issues.

• Helpful!
Reactions: sstrunks
Are you streaming with an SSD? How much ram and what processor does your Mac have?
Also, how many FPS can you hit right now the way you're streaming?
Also, could your fans be dusty? If it's been a while since you've cleaned them it could be causing some extra noise.
You can also check your task manager and make sure everything's closed and no background programs are running.
Chrome and spotify are super heavy, switch to another browser for chat and maybe use your phone or another computer for music.

Streamate will only show you as HD if you're using an encoder and hitting really high FPS and your equipment can handle the strain consistently. Broadcasting through browser will hurt your placement and is very veeeeery glitchy.

60FPS is pretty much beast mode for my computer and makes my CPU max out, I also don't think my Asus gaming laptop could handle it without some upgrades.
I'm running an i7 with 16gb of ram with an 250gb SSD as my main, I use the broadcaster and it works alright for me. I pretty much bought a beefy gaming laptop for streaming and streaming only though. I don't put anything on it that isn't related to streaming to keep it working clean. In the long term it's probably a good investment though. I'm now upgrading my internet hardware to keep my connection crispy~

I *think* you can use OBS with SM but don't quote me on that, maybe someone else can confirm.

Yes- flash storage w/251 gb, i7, 16gb ram. I can hit 30 fps just fine.

I looked it up and apparently macbook pros have poor ventilation and I have never cleaned the fans so that might be the problem. I will look further into cleaning it, thank you! It gets so loud that a few customers commented, thinking that I was using a huge house fan!

I will also try using firefox instead of chrome, thank you!

Reactions: SpookybunzSM
I stopped experiencing my audio desyncing after switching and less drop in frames. Adobe encoder used to be what we used before sm created smb. I have had nothing but issues when they decided to create their own encoder. Such a bad experience that support would tell me to use obs.

Oh wow, I'm going to try OBS tonight. I thought about contacting support about how SMBroadcast was acting weird but I feel as though I would probably just get some vague copy and paste bs two days later...

Reactions: AudriTwo
Yes- flash storage w/251 gb, i7, 16gb ram. I can hit 30 fps just fine.
Oh shit yo ~

I was streaming with an old Macbook before I got my new computer and the fan was loud as hell, I realized why when I cleaned it though! D:
It was really old and had a really hard time handling SMB
But you should be good, I'm def gonna give OBS a try and see if I can hit 60FPS without my computer blowing up lol

To the OP knowing which year and model of macbook would help. That said if you MAX upload is 3.5mbps then definitely should be trying 60fps. 720p/30fps which is considered basic HD needs at least 2.5mbps to not look blurry. Usually the jump to 60fps you're looking a 3200kbps which mean 3.2mbps and your cap is 3.5mbps in a perfect situation. ISP usually don't guarantee your maximum speed.

Also OBS does take processor so if you're also trying to multi stream you're going to have even more issues.

Mid 2015 15 inch Macbook Pro. My upload speed is 3.5mbps wireless, 11 mbps wired, my mistake. Thank you for the info, I will try 60fps on obs when I clean my fan.

Mid 2015 15 inch Macbook Pro. My upload speed is 3.5mbps wireless, 11 mbps wired, my mistake. Thank you for the info, I will try 60fps on obs when I clean my fan.

SM transcodes down your broadcasts it's easier on member's connections to see it. So don't go too crazy because in most cases it will just be transcoded down from members in the long run. A lot of member use tablets and use celluar connections so no matter how high you go it will be sent to them as 720p30 or less and you'll just be increasing your video delay.

• Helpful!
When setting up OBS what do you select for "service" where it says Twitch, CB, etc. ?

When setting up OBS what do you select for "service" where it says Twitch, CB, etc. ?

i am assuming you are in your settings "under stream"

stream type -> custom streaming server.

on your streaming page on the browser, under "my cam"
quality -> external encoding (when you select start show, the url and stream key will pop up.)

I did not worked with this site but is 60fps really needed. Most sites have 30fps as good number.

for streamate placement, yes. our stream quality is one of many factors in placement.

Last edited:
for streamate placement, yes. our stream quality is one of many factors in placement.

I think what he means is IF SM actually will allow 60fps RAW to be viewable to members.

You can tell when a model is using an external encoder in SM because they'll have a 'RAW' option in the member's transcode settings.
UBvamwb.jpg

I've never seen this number go over 30fps. So it's to ask IF SM's server is will to accept 60fps source or if it's buffering the source feed down and only allowing a 30fps raw which would mean sending 60fps to them would be pointless or rather it would be more efficient for resources to send 1080p/30 rather than send 720p/60 which the server won't pass on to the members.

But you can also see no matter how high res a stream you send them the default 'auto' option ignores the 'RAW' option so members have to manual choose 'RAW' ever time they are in a new models room to take advantage of any source better than 720p/30 which SM transcodes all higher source video into.

Reactions: CodyReadsBooks
I think what he means is IF SM actually will allow 60fps RAW to be viewable to members.

You can tell when a model is using an external encoder in SM because they'll have a 'RAW' option in the member's transcode settings.
UBvamwb.jpg

I've never seen this number go over 30fps. So it's to ask IF SM's server is will to accept 60fps source or if it's buffering the source feed down and only allowing a 30fps raw which would mean sending 60fps to them would be pointless or rather it would be more efficient for resources to send 1080p/30 rather than send 720p/60 which the server won't pass on to the members.

But you can also see no matter how high res a stream you send them the default 'auto' option ignores the 'RAW' option so members have to manual choose 'RAW' ever time they are in a new models room to take advantage of any source better than 720p/30 which SM transcodes all higher source video into.

it won't allow it and will auto set to 30fps, but if you set it that you are capable of 60 fps, it improves your ranking...

it won't allow it and will auto set to 30fps, but if you set it that you are capable of 60 fps, it improves your ranking...
I was wondering about this, I wonder if it has anything to do with how SM advertises its models?
Or when we do TopSpots?
Like I'm pretty sure they record those (which is assume is why they make us turn everything off)
Maybe they record in 60FPS?

I guess I don't understand why 720p/60 would be higher valued though it can't be pushed to the members but 1080p/30 which CAN be viewed would be considered less.

Personally i would tweak the settings first to optimal on 30FPS and if that is running stable on al fronts, to go for the last 1% and then maybe for the 60fps. As 60fps wil ask more from your pc and camera.

I get disconnected and drop frames like a mother fucker with SMB. With OBS, it almost never happens, AND OBS uses like a third of the CPU that SMB does.

I guess I don't understand why 720p/60 would be higher valued though it can't be pushed to the members but 1080p/30 which CAN be viewed would be considered less.

We can't stream 1080p on SM yet unless it's changed in the last month. If I send 1080p to SM it actually lowers my placement. Despite the fact that the encoder only uses 15 percent of my computer resources and my internet upload speeds are 3 times what's needed for it. For some reason it just doesn't work.

It's why a lot of models think SM broadcast gives a placement boost. Because their OBS settings aren't perfect.

I did read that they are working on it though so I expect it to change very soon (unless it's changed in the last month already, but I doubt it because my placement is amazing right now and I'm doing 720 still)

i am assuming you are in your settings "under stream"

stream type -> custom streaming server.

on your streaming page on the browser, under "my cam"
quality -> external encoding (when you select start show, the url and stream key will pop up.)

Thanks so much. Streamed with OBS for six hours yesterday and only got disconnected once. So much better!

Thanks so much. Streamed with OBS for six hours yesterday and only got disconnected once. So much better!

yay! awesome to hear and you are welcome! i recommend reconnecting every other hour to refresh your stream in case there are issues with your stream. sm guys usually don't let us know when there are technical issues or they are vague about it.

sm guys usually don't let us know when there are technical issues or they are vague about it.

They're so bad at it that I've got in the habit of making sure I'm not dropping frames any time a bunch of people leave my room all at once.

yay! awesome to hear and you are welcome! i recommend reconnecting every other hour to refresh your stream in case there are issues with your stream. sm guys usually don't let us know when there are technical issues or they are vague about it.

Yes! I do not understand why they cannot just let a girl know. I will be super pixelated, no sound, or crazy laggy for the longest and no one says anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.