AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Can a model and a member really be friends?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new question, so how are "internet" friends really all that different from "real" friends. If a regular spends a couple nights a week or more with a model, and she is genuinely glad he is around how is that any lesser a friend then a "real" friend that she sees probably quite a bit less offline? Guys act like it's some lesser form of friendship, now a days I really don't see that. As I stated in my first post there is one model I met outside MFC, but there are other models I consider friends i'm guessing i'll never meet, but I don't get why it matters one way or the other.

I bet there are; no I am positive there are models that confide in some regulars stuff they don't tell their "real" friends and that goes the other way too. I've seen models talk to guys for hours and not see a single token from them, if it was all about money that wouldn't happen. Of course some models are all about the money and fake liking guys and some members just are trying to trick the girls, but over time I think most intelligent people can figure out the difference. I'm glad i'm not cynical enough to think "real" friendship on MFC isn't possible, and if by some chance it is all fake keep up the illusion for me girls, ignorance is bliss.

hornygods said:
Evvie said:
goldencorsair said:
Littlegringo said:
As sad as it is to say, most guys do have ulterior motives, whether it's just some random guy in person or a fan of a camgirl. Seen so many times where a guy "wanted to be friends" with a girl, simply because he actually wanted to be more than friends and tried to go that way to make that happen.

I'm not saying it's not possible, of course it is, but (and despite lots of guys who would deny it) the majority of guys will have "more than friends" on their mind when they try to be a girl's friend. The percentage of guys who honestly are just being a friend is going to be way less than the percentage that is thinking this hot hot girl is going to want to bang him because he was her friend...
yes

generally speaking, most models don't care for a real friendship anyways. some maintain an "internet friendship" for whatever reason. those are the smart ones who know where the line is drawn. they know their role/job and never step outside the boundaries. (i.e. they play by the rules of the game)

this thread should be a "must read" for any MFC members who have been on for more than 3 months.
I wonder what gave you the impression most models don't want "real" friendships? I greatly value my friends on MFC.

I'm also not sure why you think models who have the capacity to make friends aren't smart...

I think you might have inferred something different - it looks like he means a form of friendship where the two parties often meet each other in real life (i.e. social friends). If this was the case, then his remark about 'real friendships' being unwise on MFC would make sense.
yes

victor0021 said:
I have a new question, so how are "internet" friends really all that different from "real" friends. If a regular spends a couple nights a week or more with a model, and she is genuinely glad he is around how is that any lesser a friend then a "real" friend that she sees probably quite a bit less offline? Guys act like it's some lesser form of friendship, now a days I really don't see that. As I stated in my first post there is one model I met outside MFC, but there are other models I consider friends i'm guessing i'll never meet, but I don't get why it matters one way or the other.

I bet there are; no I am positive there are models that confide in some regulars stuff they don't tell their "real" friends and that goes the other way too. I've seen models talk to guys for hours and not see a single token from them, if it was all about money that wouldn't happen. Of course some models are all about the money and fake liking guys and some members just are trying to trick the girls, but over time I think most intelligent people can figure out the difference. I'm glad i'm not cynical enough to think "real" friendship on MFC isn't possible, and if by some chance it is all fake keep up the illusion for me girls, ignorance is bliss.

I've seen plenty of people who simply feel that a friend on the internet isn't a "real" friend. Sure, that sentiment has changed as the internet gets more and more integrated into our society, but it's still viewed like that by plenty.

One thing that hasn't really been touched on is the girl vs boy view on friends. Like I said, most guys (despite denials of this) look for a friend who is a girl because they have more in mind. While the girl is more often actually thinking "oh he's nice, he's my friend", he's thinking "hope I can bang her soon"... it's a generalization but we wouldn't even have sites with cam girls if guys weren't so motivated by wanting to see nekkid ladies...

In "normal" (non camgirl/member) relationships, guys have their motives fueled by desire. Girls are more likely to actually mean "we can still be friends" if a couple breaks up, while the guy more often says ok to that thinking "friends" means "friends with benefits". Putting guys like this into a situation where the girls of their dreams are doing all these seductive and sexual things for him and thinking that he is just looking for a pal is just unrealistic in my view. Maybe 1% are, but most (and I'm not proud of how my gender is) have ulterior motives.

victor0021 said:

To me, the difference is social interaction. Yes, I do spend a lot of time with my friends on MFC, but that's limited to talking and typing. With my friends in the analog world, I go shooting, go out to dinner, share a plate of fish and chips, and go shopping. If I'm feeling down I can call up three or four of my friends and have a girl's night, paint each other's nails and bitch about women we don't like.

The emotional connection can be the same, but the physical one cannot be, and that is important to me.

Online vs offline friends are special categories; let's call them "estates." There are advantages to each, as was said, you might confide in an online friend things you'd never tell your offline friends, e.g., but because of that wall of non-physical interaction.

To use a VERY far out analogy, think of categories of pets. One might have a kitten or a dog or a parrot...but some people might want to keep pet black widow spiders or scorpions. The pet owner may value either one equally, but obviously differently. You don't directly, physically interact with dangerous, venomous creatures.

*disclaimer: lol I'm not interested in those sorts of pets myself, but I once worked with a lady who collected all kinds of dangerous reptiles, including a gila monster. She was perfectly sane, it was just her hobby.

Evvie said:
victor0021 said:

To me, the difference is social interaction. Yes, I do spend a lot of time with my friends on MFC, but that's limited to talking and typing. With my friends in the analog world, I go shooting, go out to dinner, share a plate of fish and chips, and go shopping. If I'm feeling down I can call up three or four of my friends and have a girl's night, paint each other's nails and bitch about women we don't like.

The emotional connection can be the same, but the physical one cannot be, and that is important to me.

Mt point more was to say that just because you know them only on the internet does not mean they are not real friends, and that you can genuinely like them as friends. I have different groups of friends for most of the activities I do in life, and some friends I like better then others. Just like i'm guessing with models there are regulars they like more and less then others. Sorry if I worded it poorly.

Reactions: Nordling
I prefer to use the terms "online friends" and "offline friends". But then again, when I was a kid I had real friends and imaginary friends, so "real" to me means someone who actually exists, not just someone who is in my immediate vincinity.

That said, the type of trust I give to each varies. With offline friends, I'm giving them a measure of physical and emotional trust. With online friends, there's no need for physical trust, so the emotional trust I can give them is greater.

These days, all my online friends know I cam. I don't have much in the way of offline friends though, because I find it very hard to give physical trust to people.

Internet friends are safe (barring the whole stalker/psycho thing). You can cut ties without ever having to deal with someone face to face. Just stop responding/interacting. Very little repercussions.

I tend to view them more as acquaintances than friends. This little community that has developed out of Amber's forum is a perfect example. There are many people here that I get along with quite well for varying reasons. I do not consider any of them friends in the true sense of the word. However, I do value their opinions and will probably give a more honest answer than someone I might see in person the next day.

It's also safer to unload your own personal bullshit to internet pals. While the judgement may be harsher due to the dynamics, the repercussions are negligible.

I am not poo-pooing anyone who feels they have a true friendship via online communications, but to me a friend is the guy who shows up to help you move. Don't see any of you (no matter how great you are) showing up early on a Saturday morning to help me haul boxes and furniture.

Reactions: LadyLuna
RogueWarrior said:
Internet friends are safe (barring the whole stalker/psycho thing). You can cut ties without ever having to deal with someone face to face. Just stop responding/interacting. Very little repercussions.

I tend to view them more as acquaintances than friends. This little community that has developed out of Amber's forum is a perfect example. There are many people here that I get along with quite well for varying reasons. I do not consider any of them friends in the true sense of the word. However, I do value their opinions and will probably give a more honest answer than someone I might see in person the next day.

It's also safer to unload your own personal bullshit to internet pals. While the judgement may be harsher due to the dynamics, the repercussions are negligible.

I am not poo-pooing anyone who feels they have a true friendship via online communications, but to me a friend is the guy who shows up to help you move. Don't see any of you (no matter how great you are) showing up early on a Saturday morning to help me haul boxes and furniture.

Agreed. Not one of you have come to my aid when I've been caught short of toilet roll and the other rolls were in the closet.

NOT ONE OF YOU!

Reactions: Evvie
skiphop90 said:
Agreed. Not one of you have come to my aid when I've been caught short of toilet roll and the other rolls were in the closet.

NOT ONE OF YOU!

Ooh, I hate it when that shit happens! :lol:

It's interesting that some of you say that a real friend is someone you hang out with in person. The majority of my close friends are people I don't get to see often, because we don't live near each other. I literally have like...3 friends who live in a reasonable distance. I don't consider friendships less real when they're mainly conducted through the internet and texting, because I feel like emotional connection is what makes a friendship. Not saying any of you are wrong, i just found it interesting. maybe it's a men vs women thing?

Reactions: Loslonelyboy
MadisonLeigh said:
It's interesting that some of you say that a real friend is someone you hang out with in person. The majority of my close friends are people I don't get to see often, because we don't live near each other. I literally have like...3 friends who live in a reasonable distance. I don't consider friendships less real when they're mainly conducted through the internet and texting, because I feel like emotional connection is what makes a friendship. Not saying any of you are wrong, i just found it interesting. maybe it's a men vs women thing?

I do not think it is a man vs woman thing, because my offline friends are not as close to me as my online friends are. My online friends are people who actually have more in common with me than geographic proximity.

MadisonLeigh said:

I somewhat see the merit of both points here.

I think the hesitation in calling an internet-only friendship "real" comes from the fact that it's much easier for a person to misrepresent who they are when they're behind a computer screen, if that is their goal. Personally, I think everyone probably misrepresents themselves at least a little bit, to online friends or in person, because most people are wary of revealing all of themselves to others. But, a friendship that begins in person and then becomes mostly online due to logistical issues doesn't have that "unknown" factor that an online-only relationship has.

That said, if you're interacting with honest people, I don't see any reason not to call an online-only friend as "real" as any other. I would argue that an online-only friendship has the potential to easily be stronger than an in-person one because it's usually based almost entirely on conversation and emotional interaction instead of physical.

On the basis of "friends help you move", the only people I can call friends at this point are people whose opinion I don't value, and who I wouldn't be upset if they never appeared in my life again. Mostly because they were the people who happened to have a truck at the time I needed to move.

My basis for friends are "people who have heard me bitch, and who have bitched to me". In college, these were the people who stood by me emotionally while I dealt with the problems my parents were giving me. Now, it's the people who listen to me bitch about my relationship without saying "you need to get out of there" because they realize that every relationship has it's ups and downs, and that I rarely say anything when things are good because I don't know how.

A model today decorated her living room with balloons and other things for a birthday -- not hers, but one of her member friends. So, yes.

Reactions: SoTxBob
ComicOzzie said:
A model today decorated her living room with balloons and other things for a birthday -- not hers, but one of her member friends. So, yes.

One could pretty easily say a model doing that is being a good businesswoman...

I tend to see the "friendships" in two ways. The online "acquaintances that you treat well and chat with and are happy to interact with, and the people who you would actually want to interact with in person. If you wouldn't want to hang out with them in person, can you really, honestly call them a friend?

Littlegringo said:
ComicOzzie said:

I tend to see the "friendships" in two ways. The online "acquaintances that you treat well and chat with and are happy to interact with, and the people who you would actually want to interact with in person. If you wouldn't want to hang out with them in person, can you really, honestly call them a friend?
"Internet friends" is different than "friends". I adore some of the people I chat with daily on the Internet, am genuinely interested in their daily happenings and their feelings, and want them to be happy. But I don't want to meet them in person. They are Internet friends. Part of my Internet life.

My Internet life is a HUGE portion of my actual life, but nonetheless, is still separate from my actual life.

I'd suppose this is the situation with many model/member interactions, but some people fail to realize it. There's also a small % of model/member interactions that DO lead to in-person meet ups and friendships. I think it's best if people define these correctly though. Since day 1 I've been honest about my intentions in order to avoid any hurt feelings.

Also, I feel like I've said nearly this exact post before. Maybe earlier in this or another very similar thread.

AmberCutie said:
Littlegringo said:
ComicOzzie said:

"Internet friends" is different than "friends". I adore some of the people I chat with daily on the Internet, am genuinely interested in their daily happenings and their feelings, and want them to be happy. But I don't want to meet them in person. They are Internet friends. Part of my Internet life.

My Internet life is a HUGE portion of my actual life, but nonetheless, is still separate from my actual life.

I'd suppose this is the situation with many model/member interactions, but some people fail to realize it. There's also a small % of model/member interactions that DO lead to in-person meet ups and friendships. I think it's best if people define these correctly though. Since day 1 I've been honest about my intentions in order to avoid any hurt feelings.

Also, I feel like I've said nearly this exact post before. Maybe earlier in this or another very similar thread.
what makes it so strong to not want to meet them offline?

Wendsor said:
AmberCutie said:
Littlegringo said:
ComicOzzie said:

Because that is my safety net. Online I am Amber, offline I am myself. I'm a married girl who is a camgirl for a living. That's just the way it has to be to make what I do ok.

If I wasn't a camgirl, this *might* be different, but that's the way it is, and I know I am not alone on this.

AmberCutie said:
Because that is my safety net. Online I am Amber, offline I am myself. I'm a married girl who is a camgirl for a living. That's just the way it has to be to make what I do ok.

If I wasn't a camgirl, this *might* be different, but that's the way it is, and I know I am not alone on this.

It's a double edged sword, since by virtue of being a camgirl, you will have guys that want to meet you, and for safety sake most won't do that. If you weren't a camgirl, there wouldn't be the same number of people trying to meet you and it wouldn't be a topic...

Because of the special situation of camgirl/member, it makes a full blown friendship which extends to real life, much less likely.

Wendsor said:
AmberCutie said:

You are obviously not familiar with the "Costanza worlds theorem" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e%20Theory

We do not want this to happen:

So to sum up, we have "Camgirl Amber" and "Independent Amber", and never the twain shall meet ;)

Can a model and a member really be friends?.....My answer is NO. I used to think so, but I have come to realise that any relationship that is based on money is not one upon which people can be friends. It's all sweet until the money runs out.

of course a model and member can be friends , i have 2 i met here

neither of them have tipped me 1 token in over a year

1 i introduce to my friend and they got engaged but it not work out and the other is just a good guy

men on mfc know i will not date them so as long as we have understanding about my wishes then sure i can have real friends

freeezze said:
Can a model and a member really be friends?.....My answer is NO. I used to think so, but I have come to realise that any relationship that is based on money is not one upon which people can be friends. It's all sweet until the money runs out.

By the sounds of it you got burned, sir. And unlike Nicolas Cage, I think we can all work out what happened here...

Thing is though, you can't equate your experiences with camgirls with every other living person's experiences with camgirls, ya know? Camgirls aren't mythical creatures that live out their mysterious existence from inside dense shrouds of guffed enigma-cloud. They're just peoples, yo. People become friends because of, what? shared interests? rapport? because they come to enjoy one another's company? because they build up a level of trust with one another? Granted, the nature of camming makes it harder for those things to happen (there's gotta be a healthy level of distrust going on when the horny, hard-dicked member tells the cute camgirl with the boobs and the vagina that he wants dearly for them to be 'friends') but to suggest it can't happen is foolhardy, yo. :twocents-02cents:

Anything can happen, it's more of a "what are the odds". In any situation where one person has a celebrity status, and the other is attracted to them through that, it is a very difficult situation to evolve real "I have no ulterior motive or desire" friendship. When money or sexual desires or both are involved it's a very tricky situation.

I'm friends with two members, one basic and one premium.
They're awesome and I love having them in my room

HOWEVER

I would not meet them in real life because that's scary.

Reactions: 1 person
By the sounds of it you got burned, sir.

Far from it. I was stating a general principle, relevant to the real world as well as the internet.

I've made one friend on mfcs, it started because he tipped me yet was polite/we chatted, he never tips me for sexual stuff, we just chat totally normally. With most guys I'd say no, although i chat to regulars, and enjoy their company, I do not count them as friends, but he's an exception. The chances aren't that small for the cam girl to 'meet' one out of the many regulars in her room that she actually really gets on with as a person. But yes obviously statistically for a viewer to make a real friendship with the girl is a lot less likely as he's competing with all the other randy guys trying to get her attention.

Simply though, even though money gets exchanged, all friendships are different and there always needs to be an equal give/take on each side. So yes the exchange of tokens is a bit more blatant than say giving a friend a gift or buying them dinner, but it's still not that different, it's just how the relationship works, as long as both sides are happy. And is that really any less real than that best friend you had who was always there until they got a girlfriend/boyfriend and now you barely ever see? Friendships fade, it happens!

http://profiles.myfreecams.com/Isabella_deL

I've just been reading your discussion here and have some questions on my own now: Since April i'm regularly chatting with a webcam girl, i've met on steam...I was so attracted to her, that i always gave her tips or we went "pvt", i was so into her, that i almost overdrew my bankaccount (i'm still on trial in my job, so everything runs out quickly)- when i told her that i wanted to leave, she said she would be very happy if i stayed and that i could come to her "room" anytime i want to and she doesn't expect me tipp her - when i got my stuff back in order, it was just like before: we had fun, talked about random things and more.
Starting in the last weeks we are mailing each other almost daily...
She told me several times, that i'm totally different to all the guys who came or come to her room and that she enjoyes my company (that i'm so cute and nice and never ask for anything)
What does all that mean?
Does she think of to me as good customer, or does she consider me as a friend? I'm surely not thinking that more could happen and rational enough not to construct a rainbowglowing fairytale-dream...
I'm just wondering - i got a little cautious after some disappointments with "friends" irl (like my girlfriend broke up with me after my dad died, because she couldn't cope with my sadness) And as it was mentioned several times before, with friends you make online you have to be extra careful...

Status
Not open for further replies.