AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Constant streams of 1 token tips?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sevrin said:
VeronicaChaos said:
That's what it stands for: To Insure Proper Service.

Not really. For one thing, it would be TEPS, since the purpose is ensuring, rather than insuring.

Further reading:
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp
Cool! I guess though since it's commonly thought to stand for that it would affect people's conception of the word and therefor it's purpose. I've heard a lot of people quote the acronym while tipping as a definitive reason for the amount.

I think it gets fucky because on MFC, tips aren't really just tips anymore. People are using tips as currency for countdowns, videos etc. So I dont think members on MFC see tips the same way as they see a tip you'd give in a restaurant.

Jessi said:
I think it gets fucky because on MFC, tips aren't really just tips anymore. People are using tips as currency for countdowns, videos etc. So I dont think members on MFC see tips the same way as they see a tip you'd give in a restaurant.

Indeed. It's also worth considering that traditional tipping (in restaurants and whatnot) varies by culture. In America, I get the impression tipping is quite a big deal and is, if not mandatory, at the very least expected. Here in the UK, tipping is only ever really an optional extra. It's not something that's ingrained in our culture. Also, what may seem like a small tip in one country might seem like a huge tip in another country. A friend's dad was telling me how he'd visited Nigeria years ago and tipped a guy at the hotel what amounted to about £10 (around $16) and the guy almost burst into tears. To him, that was an enormous amount of money, ya know?

I think the biggest ways in which traditional tips differ from tips on MFC is that traditionally, a tip is given in addition to the price of the service rendered and is based on the quality of that service. On MFC, tips account for both the cost of the service (a private, a countdown, a video, whatever) and as an optional extra (all those "just because" tips). Also, the latter isn't so much based on "quality of service" as it is on how much the member can afford to tip at that given time. I'm guessing that models tend to earn more money at the beginning of the month than towards the end. I'd wager it's not because they're more entertaining or more sexy at the start of the month than they are by the end of it; but rather it's that members have more money at the begining of the month because they've just been paid :twocents-02cents:

Sevrin said:
VeronicaChaos said:
That's what it stands for: To Insure Proper Service.

Not really. For one thing, it would be TEPS, since the purpose is ensuring, rather than insuring.

Further reading:

At the risk of being obnoxiously nitpicky, the snopes.com explanation itself points out the following:

One might claim that should more properly be "ensured," not "insured," but those two words have a long history of being used in the same sense in English.

Sorry. It was gonna gnaw at me.

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
BetsyBooty said:
Sevrin said:
Further reading:
At the risk of being obnoxiously nitpicky, the snopes.com explanation itself points out the following:
One might claim that should more properly be "ensured," not "insured," but those two words have a long history of being used in the same sense in English.
Sorry. It was gonna gnaw at me.
I noticed that too. In the english language insure is the same word and meaning as ensure.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/insure
2. To make sure, certain, or secure.
3. another word (esp US) for ensure.

I think, judging by his avatar, sevrin is not from the US though so he wasn't aware we use the two words equally.
(It was gnawing at me too. haha)

Reactions: BetsyBooty
mynameisbob84 said:
Jessi said:

Indeed. It's also worth considering that traditional tipping (in restaurants and whatnot) varies by culture. In America, I get the impression tipping is quite a big deal and is, if not mandatory, at the very least expected. Here in the UK, tipping is only ever really an optional extra. It's not something that's ingrained in our culture. Also, what may seem like a small tip in one country might seem like a huge tip in another country. A friend's dad was telling me how he'd visited Nigeria years ago and tipped a guy at the hotel what amounted to about £10 (around $16) and the guy almost burst into tears. To him, that was an enormous amount of money, ya know?

I think the biggest ways in which traditional tips differ from tips on MFC is that traditionally, a tip is given in addition to the price of the service rendered and is based on the quality of that service. On MFC, tips account for both the cost of the service (a private, a countdown, a video, whatever) and as an optional extra (all those "just because" tips). Also, the latter isn't so much based on "quality of service" as it is on how much the member can afford to tip at that given time. I'm guessing that models tend to earn more money at the beginning of the month than towards the end. I'd wager it's not because they're more entertaining or more sexy at the start of the month than they are by the end of it; but rather it's that members have more money at the begining of the month because they've just been paid :twocents-02cents:

I think the reason tips are such a big deal in the US is because in a lot of states, minimum wage is depressingly low.its expected that employees will try to make enough tips to make up enough income. I think for tipped positions in some places they can actually pay you less than minimum wage, but Im not sure. I know here, you have to pay at least mini/hour regardless of tips, but most of the people I know who work as servers work at more than one restaurant to make enough to live on.

I wish there were some way to distinguish between "tips" and "tips for content" but theres not. And its unlikely that will change. MFC has messed up the semantics

Jessi said:
I think the reason tips are such a big deal in the US is because in a lot of states, minimum wage is depressingly low.its expected that employees will try to make enough tips to make up enough income. I think for tipped positions in some places they can actually pay you less than minimum wage, but Im not sure. I know here, you have to pay at least mini/hour regardless of tips, but most of the people I know who work as servers work at more than one restaurant to make enough to live on.

They can pay WAY below minimum wage in some states. Most of them have a tip plus wage minimum that must be met. Some don't. Some states the employer doesn't have to pay anything if the tips meet the requirement. Some states the minimum wage is down to $2.00/hr. Here's the breakdown by state.
http://www.paywizard.org/main/minimum-wage/tipped-workers

JerryBoBerry said:
Jessi said:

They can pay WAY below minimum wage in some states. Most of them have a tip plus wage minimum that must be met. Some don't. Some states the employer doesn't have to pay anything if the tips meet the requirement. Some states the minimum wage is down to $2.00/hr. Here's the breakdown by state.
http://www.paywizard.org/main/minimum-wage/tipped-workers

Word

Jessi said:

Word

VeronicaChaos said:
......Camsite tipping culture is something completely new, something that we're creating RIGHT NOW. There is no right or wrong. No established etiquette...but we're working on that.........

But yeah, I just wanted to point out that if anything I think it's wonderful we can talk about these things because we are talking about a completely new tipping culture that is currently and constantly evolving and defining itself, and WE'RE the ones that are building it, which is pretty cool!

This I agree with 100%.

Camsite tipping has no good analogy in any other industry. And I actually believe it hurts the entire concept to call it "tipping", as that is not really what happens on MFC.

Jessi said:
...on MFC, tips aren't really just tips anymore. People are using tips as currency for countdowns, videos etc. So I dont think members on MFC see tips the same way as they see a tip you'd give in a restaurant.

VeronicaChaos said:
It's really fascinating reading that you guys tip based on what you can afford, not how much you like the service

Shaun_ said:
I tip to be tipping, and it is never a reflection of how much value I place in a model. I would have to be one very rich dude to show my friends how much I value them as people.

All very good posts. The responsible member limits how much he spends on MFC, because, believe me, it would sooooo easy to get into financial trouble if we members tipped how much we liked the service. Really, why would we keep coming back if we didn't like it?

My disposable income is finite. I only have so much to spend on MFC. Sure, I could have more if I quit drinking, quit going to concerts, quit eating out, etc. Sure, I could max out a couple of credit cards and tip the models what I think they deserve. But then it would be two years before I could come back and tip again.

The nature of the business and the fact the giving of tokens is referred to as tips, lends itself to the models taking small tips personally. I get that.

I just wanted present this member's perpective. Maybe I'm down to my last five tokens and won't be on for a couple of days until I get paid again and want to spend them on a certain model. Do I think that's what she's worth? No! That's just all I have at my disposal right now and want to show some appreciation. And to me, my last tokens are more valuable than the first one's I spend when I first purchase a package. Maybe I was saving them for a certain model to come online. That's something the models can't know when they receive a small tip.

Are there douchebag trolls and attention whores throwing out small tips? Of course you know there are. But I think for the most part, when a model receives a small tip, it is not meant as a personal affront on their camming, but rather, that's what the member can afford at the time.

I could be way off base, but those are my thoughts, and I suppose I'm not the only one.

Jessi said:

One of the best points made in this thread. Tokens are more currency than tips. A true tip is probably offline love or something dropped unexpectedly outside of a game or countdown and meant purely as a gesture of appreciation. OK, now I'll do what I should have done before posting and read the previous posts to see how many times this has already been said!

RogueWarrior said:
VeronicaChaos said:
......Camsite tipping culture is something completely new, something that we're creating RIGHT NOW. There is no right or wrong. No established etiquette...but we're working on that.........

But yeah, I just wanted to point out that if anything I think it's wonderful we can talk about these things because we are talking about a completely new tipping culture that is currently and constantly evolving and defining itself, and WE'RE the ones that are building it, which is pretty cool!

This I agree with 100%.

Camsite tipping has no good analogy in any other industry. And I actually believe it hurts the entire concept to call it "tipping", as that is not really what happens on MFC.

Jessi said:
...on MFC, tips aren't really just tips anymore. People are using tips as currency for countdowns, videos etc. So I dont think members on MFC see tips the same way as they see a tip you'd give in a restaurant.

VeronicaChaos said:
It's really fascinating reading that you guys tip based on what you can afford, not how much you like the service

Shaun_ said:
I tip to be tipping, and it is never a reflection of how much value I place in a model. I would have to be one very rich dude to show my friends how much I value them as people.

All very good posts. The responsible member limits how much he spends on MFC, because, believe me, it would sooooo easy to get into financial trouble if we members tipped how much we liked the service. Really, why would we keep coming back if we didn't like it?

My disposable income is finite. I only have so much to spend on MFC. Sure, I could have more if I quit drinking, quit going to concerts, quit eating out, etc. Sure, I could max out a couple of credit cards and tip the models what I think they deserve. But then it would be two years before I could come back and tip again.

The nature of the business and the fact the giving of tokens is referred to as tips, lends itself to the models taking small tips personally. I get that.

I just wanted present this member's perpective. Maybe I'm down to my last five tokens and won't be on for a couple of days until I get paid again and want to spend them on a certain model. Do I think that's what she's worth? No! That's just all I have at my disposal right now and want to show some appreciation. And to me, my last tokens are more valuable than the first one's I spend when I first purchase a package. Maybe I was saving them for a certain model to come online. That's something the models can't know when they receive a small tip.

Are there douchebag trolls and attention whores throwing out small tips? Of course you know there are. But I think for the most part, when a model receives a small tip, it is not meant as a personal affront on their camming, but rather, that's what the member can afford at the time.

I could be way off base, but those are my thoughts, and I suppose I'm not the only one.

Hit the nail squarely on the head as far as I'm concerned.
A tip is a gratuity, over and above what one pays for a product or service. Since few, if any, camsites charge a membership or entrance fee, 'tipping' is really a misnomer. I'd really only consider it a tip if it were something given over and above the per-minute rate during a group or private show.

It is just semantics on what it is called.

The reality is this is another piece of social engineering by MFC. Rather than a pay the model button, it is a tip the model button. Tip sounds much nicer than pay. Rather than dollars and cents as the currency, it is tokens as the currency. It is nicer (perhaps easier) to send 100 tokens than to be reminded it is around $10 you are spending each time.

I am generally quite impressed with the amount of social engineering going on on MFC. I just wonder how much of it was truly intentional or just stumbled upon? Having been a big MMO gamer at one time, I have become more cognizant of the use of social engineering but even when you realize it is going on it still works quite often. :lol: There are some things they could take from the gaming world, that they haven't already, which could substantially increase their business.

MilaE said:
Can you imagine throwing coins at her on stage?
Even in countries where 1 and 2 "dollar" coins are more popular, it's still incredibly awkward tipping in coin.

In my opinion MFC is both. Tip for products and/or service or just tip because you enjoy what you see. I tend to do more of the latter but either is good.
:thumbleft:

Reactions: LilyMarie
Just Me said:
It is just semantics on what it is called.

The reality is this is another piece of social engineering by MFC. Rather than a pay the model button, it is a tip the model button. Tip sounds much nicer than pay. Rather than dollars and cents as the currency, it is tokens as the currency. It is nicer (perhaps easier) to send 100 tokens than to be reminded it is around $10 you are spending each time.

I am generally quite impressed with the amount of social engineering going on on MFC. I just wonder how much of it was truly intentional or just stumbled upon? Having been a big MMO gamer at one time, I have become more cognizant of the use of social engineering but even when you realize it is going on it still works quite often. :lol: There are some things they could take from the gaming world, that they haven't already, which could substantially increase their business.

In the MMO world, they make a lot of money selling mounts. I could see that working.

Reactions: Just Me
In Japan, if you tip you are being rude.

I would gladly accept 5 cent donation from a stranger if they threw it away :) . Call me cheap, poor whatever. Money is money and someday you just maybe 5 cents short and on that day you will remember you had the oppurtinity to take 5 cents.

on 1 token tip walls. Yes it can be annoying, frankly if i am in the room and I find it annoying, I will let the room know. Nothing wrong in it. I wont say dont tip, but I will suggest..next time tip in one go.

If said member gets offended thats his/her problem. Always better to let others know how you feel. Similarly I dont expect models to thank you, a simple smile is all that is required.

trotskyleon said:

I would gladly accept 5 cent donation from a stranger if they threw it away :) . Call me cheap, poor whatever. Money is money and someday you just maybe 5 cents short and on that day you will remember you had the oppurtinity to take 5 cents.

on 1 token tip walls. Yes it can be annoying, frankly if i am in the room and I find it annoying, I will let the room know. Nothing wrong in it. I wont say dont tip, but I will suggest..next time tip in one go.

If said member gets offended thats his/her problem. Always better to let others know how you feel. Similarly I dont expect models to thank you, a simple smile is all that is required.

Just some friendly guy advice. I would not do that. Personally I prefer to let the models run their own rooms.
;)

trotskyleon said:

Uh, if I'm getting a yellow wall and you say it's annoying, I'm likely to kindly suggest that you shut right the fuck up while people are giving me money. I may even feel so generous as to save you further annoyance by banning you. :thumbleft:

LilyEvans said:
trotskyleon said:

Uh, if I'm getting a yellow wall and you say it's annoying, I'm likely to kindly suggest that you shut right the fuck up while people are giving me money. I may even feel so generous as to save you further annoyance by banning you. :thumbleft:
And regardless of it being one token or 1000 tokens, seeing some non tipping schmuck telling others how they should spend their tokens is one of the more annoying things around.

Brad said:
trotskyleon said:

Just some friendly guy advice. I would not do that. Personally I prefer to let the models run their own rooms.
;)

word

If a member feels the need to complain about how another member is tipping, maybe instead of doing that, he should demonstrate what he feels is the "right way" to tip? LOL. Otherwise, don't complain. You could be driving away potential tippers by doing this, which may result in you getting banned, and/or the model logging off early due to lack of tips. If the model has a problem with what a particular tipper is doing, she can speak to him herself (and she might do it via PM to avoid embarrassing him in public chat).

trotskyleon said:
LMAO. You can't be serious.
If I ever have a member in my room who's trying to tell other members how to tip or not tip me, heads will roll. If you find it annoying to see/hear someone tipping a model a certain way, then MFC isn't the right place for you. You see, tips happen on MFC pretty often. :thumbleft:

LilyMarie said:
trotskyleon said:
If I ever have a member in my room who's trying to tell other members how to tip or not tip me, heads will roll. If you find it annoying to see/hear someone tipping a model a certain way, then MFC isn't the right place for you. You see, tips happen on MFC pretty often. :thumbleft:

I am not telling anyone how to tip. I am merely expressing my view if i find something annoying. Its up to the member if they want to tip or not.

Much like how you suggest what is the right place for me and what isnt...

:twocents-02cents:

I mean they can do a ninja yellow 1 tip wall ...if they are so keen...

trotskyleon said:
trotskyleon said:
I am not telling anyone how to tip.

Sorry, I don't mean to keep harping on this, but suggesting that a member "tip in one go" is telling him how to tip.

I'm gonna go grab a Pop Ice freeze pop now. :)

[/quote]
And regardless of it being one token or 1000 tokens, seeing some non tipping schmuck telling others how they should spend their tokens is one of the more annoying things around.[/quote]

Agreed. The only times I've gotten legitimately fired up on a mfc was when basics talk shit about how people yellow wall with tips between 1-5 tokens. If I'm upset about it, I can't imagine how models feel when this happens.

trotskyleon said:
LilyMarie said:
trotskyleon said:

I am not telling anyone how to tip. I am merely expressing my view if i find something annoying. Its up to the member if they want to tip or not.

Much like how you suggest what is the right place for me and what isnt...

I mean they can do a ninja yellow 1 tip wall ...if they are so keen...
You're aware that the sound still appears when the tips are invisible, yes?

my point is simply if i am annoyed i let others know. if i annoy others, i will say sorry. this is about anything really.

i dont see anything wrong in that.

if the models wants to ban me, meh thats fine with me. i am online to have fun simple as that.

but if one person finds it annoying good chance others will too. at least by speaking up the other members can also put forth their views.

Reactions: PunkInDrublic
trotskyleon said:
my point is simply if i am annoyed i let others know. if i annoy others, i will say sorry. this is about anything really.

if the models wants to ban me, meh thats fine with me. i am online to have fun simple as that.

but if one person finds it annoying good chance others will too. at least by speaking up the other members can also put forth their views.

And my point is that it is rude to be a guest at someone's place and tell another guest that they are annoying. That right is reserved for the host. You don't seem to get that so maybe it is an American thing.
:thumbleft:

trotskyleon said:

The last thing I want to happen in my room is for someone to open the door in which everyone feels it's suddenly okay to jump on another member because he's annoying.
That doesn't create much of a fun environment either.

Status
Not open for further replies.