AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How Do You Deal With Freeloader Private Messages on MFC?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2017
When should a new model restrict private messages on MFC to only be allowed from Friends? I am more interested in hearing a perspective on this from models than from members.

The common problem that sits behind this question is that members who are freeloaders abuse the PM privilege and overwhelm the model with conversation that is not paying for her time. These members are typically ignoring requests to pay for PM privilege, and it is usually the case that these members are not even tippers in the room. Someone correct me on the actual statistics, but I am guessing that maybe one member who does a PM out of 20 ends up being a tipper or customer. That leaves about 19 that are dead weight on the model's time.

There are two sides to this issue. If you are an experienced model, you eventually learn what a real customer looks like and how he speaks. That helps you filter the 20 PMs and talk to the people who are not wasting time. The other 19 you deal with however you want to deal with them. One of the experienced models here explained her point of view on this issue in this post. So basically her argument is to leave PM enabled to Premium members, because you end up getting more sales done. But in reading her post, it is also clear she has the experience and the assertiveness to do this well. She understands how to qualify the lead and close the sale, and she has no problem putting the other 19 chatters into the public room or just ignoring them.

Many new models lack the experience to do this. They feel some obligation to respond to each and every PM from any user, and they quickly become stressed out and overloaded by the volume of conversation. Many of those models end up just blocking PM to all Premiums. An interesting variation on that idea is to block PMs from Premiums but allow it from Friends. If a member bids for PM, then the model can put the user into the Friends list, and this enables PM again. At the end of the day she can clear those users from the Friends list (or do whatever she wants her process to be). Doing things this way, you will still lose customers. If you read through the many threads on ACF, it is pretty clear that some members have the idea that they will never pay for a private message privilege.

So bringing these two ideas together, my current thinking is that a new model who lacks any experience and is feeling overwhelmed should probably block PM from Premiums. After she gains experience and confidence - and most importantly once she feels she can distinguish the conversation of a serious customer from a freeloader - she can change her policy and allow PMs from Premiums again. She understands that her workload is going to increase, and she is going to be searching for that one real customer and dealing with 19 freeloaders.

Does someone want to argue against this development path for dealing with freeloader private messages?

Not sure if this is MFC specific, but I'll toss in my two cents.

From my own experience on MFC, I would recommend a brand new model make their PMs friends only from the start. This can always be adjusted later if desired. I personally was overwhelmed and distracted by PMs before figuring out how things worked. Years later, I mostly just have PMs on for shits and giggles.

It really depends on a model's style and priorities, though. Do they want to build up the public chat room? Are they interested in taking private shows? Do they have no clue, and are just throwing themselves into it?

If the model is still trying to figure out their style, shutting off PMs temporarily would be wise.

When should a new model restrict private messages on MFC to only be allowed from Friends?

Before hitting the broadcast button for the first time. It makes navigating who's a potential customer and who's a freeloader SO much easier.

I haven't been doing this for a super long time, but I definitely recommend restricting PMs to friends only. It's SuPER overwhelming to have a bunch of people messaging you, and they're most likely going to just be haranguing the "new girl." If someone wants to get a hold of you that badly, they can always send you mail, or you can decide to temporarily add someone as a friend to discuss a private, etc.

Before hitting the broadcast button for the first time. It makes navigating who's a potential customer and who's a freeloader SO much easier.

What's your own method for figuring out who are the customers?

Do you find that members then ask for PM for free and get annoyed and leave when you deny that request? I'm not sure that is a bad thing, but if you believe my statistics of 1/20 being real customers, then you might be losing a customer with every 19 freeloaders.

What's your own method for figuring out who are the customers?

Do you find that members then ask for PM for free and get annoyed and leave when you deny that request? I'm not sure that is a bad thing, but if you believe my statistics of 1/20 being real customers, then you might be losing a customer with every 19 freeloaders.

On the rare occasion that I cam on MFC, I don't allow members to pm me at all. If they have a question or a request, that's why the chat exists. If it's too "private" or "embarrassing", there's MFC mail. People who want to PM, in my experience, typically want to say things that anyone could say in free chat (hi, how are you, did you see Big Sporting Event or Current Popular Show last night - there's no reason to PM any of this sort of thing), but they want to feel like they're getting special attention by doing so in PM. Well, I take privates, that's where you get specialized attention from me. I'm a non-explicit domme/tease model, so I'm not doing countdowns, I'm on to hustle for privates, and therefore my approach is much more to-the-point than a lot of premiums are used to.

Frankly, I feel that most model's rate to add as friend for PM rights is reasonable, and if someone feels so off-put by paying the rate that they never tip her, good riddance. That sounds like someone with the potential to get annoying or nickel-and-dime the model over silly things, and, like I said previously, there's no good reason to PM most things that people want to PM, and, especially for a new model, it's much more worthwhile to have an active public chat than it is to have people sending constant PM's.

I've never had an issue paying to be put on a friend's list of a model I tend to interact with on a semi-regular basis. That being said, there's also been a few times that I've been put on a model's list without tipping specificaly for it. Usually, this is because I've been in the room for a few times already with active participation and good tipping where they'll say "I'm going to add you to my friend's list".

Which, then raises an interesting conundrum... I recently locked my accounts down to "friends and bookmarked models" only. Usually, in this case, if I decide to go into a model's room, I'll add her as a bookmark until I decide if I want to stay longer. This gives her the ability to PM me if she wants. I rarely will initiate a conversation with a new model via PM, though. Instead, I'll tip with a model only note complimenting her or the room, etc. Which, sometimes cause them to respond to me in PM without asking for it.

There's times where I'll want to tell a model something, without sending her a PM. Then, I'll just do it in a tip note. Especially if it's a model with a busy room. PM's can be missed, depending upon how many people are messaging her. Tip notes, usually stick out in a room.

On MFC, I know you can pop out a new window for your PMs, but within that window, does every member get his own tab? If you're looking at the PMs from Dude X, do you have to click over to another tab to see the PMs from Dude Y?
If so, that feels like a design flaw. If MFC makes you click through a bunch of PM tabs just to see "hey bb hru," I'm not surprised that models block PMs.

In the culture of MFC, is it expected that you'll always type back in response to PMs (as opposed to verbally answering), regardless of whether the content is sensitive or not?

Would it be frowned upon to have a policy that guys can PM all they want, but public chat is your main priority, so if members want you to read their PMs, they can wait until things slow down or tip to have you read it asap?

Would it be frowned upon to have a policy that guys can PM all they want, but public chat is your main priority, so if members want you to read their PMs, they can wait until things slow down or tip to have you read it asap?

I think guys would never comply with that policy because so many of the members on MFC seem to feel very entitled to do anything they want, for free. No matter how many times you tell some of these guys that a PM is 10 tokens, they ignore it and send a PM anyway. And the PM is usually just ordinary conversation, not a request for a private or anything unusual. I think they would send that PM under all conditions, including a very busy public chat.

So that means that you either 1) block all premiums, or 2) come up with a way to enable PM to just the ones who pay, or 3) be a pretty assertive person who can navigate through a lot of noise and tell the other person to go into public chat or just ignore them.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Ms_Gingersnatch
On MFC, I know you can pop out a new window for your PMs, but within that window, does every member get his own tab? If you're looking at the PMs from Dude X, do you have to click over to another tab to see the PMs from Dude Y?
If so, that feels like a design flaw. If MFC makes you click through a bunch of PM tabs just to see "hey bb hru," I'm not surprised that models block PMs.
Of course you have different tabs or windows for different PMs, otherwise you'd be responding to more than 1 person at a time if you replied to the PMs there. :)

On MFC you can pop out one window with multiple tabs, OR you can open an individual PM window for each person. Or just use the tabs at the top of the main window by default.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Ms_Gingersnatch
What might be a nice future improvement would be the ability to separate groups of PMs by notification priority. Have the ability to group all the members' PMs that you want real-time notification about together. Maybe those go as separate tabs in one window. Then have all the low notification priority PMs together in another window. The low notification priority PMs you would just check whenever you feel like checking them, but you wouldn't be getting bombarded by constant notifications of new messages. In the above scheme, if you had 20 members sending you PMs, and only two of those were people you wanted to interact with real time, you would be interrupted only by those two conversations. Everything else you could let sit until the public chat and show slow down.
It ain't broken, ain't gon' get fixed like that.

You have this habit of making outlandish suggestions that only would benefit a tiny handful of people. Just stop.

nd only two of those were people you wanted to interact with real time
and by the way, just open an PM window separately for those 2 people.

No matter how many times you tell some of these guys that a PM is 10 tokens, they ignore it and send a PM anyway.

Which they can't do if the model has her PM settings on either friends only or nobody. Problem solved.

I have only seen it one window/one PM. But, from what Amber says, can multi-tab it. Need to look into this options...

In the culture of MFC, is it expected that you'll always type back in response to PMs (as opposed to verbally answering), regardless of whether the content is sensitive or not?

From my perspective as a member, I don't mind if some answers are given verbally instead of a PM. Though, if there might happen to be a bit of a personal topic at hand, I'd prefer a typed response. But, at the same time, I generally don't expect an answer. If it's been a while, and I am looking for an answer, I'll do a tip note to get her attention asking her to respond if she can.
I'm also one whom prefers to keeps most conversations to chat room whenever possible as it helps keep the room alive. But, I also don't want to be "that guy" whom dominates the chat room. But, if no one else is talking....

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is how I roll with open PMs:
  • member PMs me while I'm on cam
    • not a direction question then I reply with something like: Hello! May I help you with something? Any questions regarding privates, videos, or the chat? (also works good for people just saying "hi" or "you're sexy")
      • they ask me a question dealing with those things then I do my best to answer them, I give them 2-3 messages. If they don't tip by then then I ignore them or block them.
      • if it seems they want to chat I tell them I offer small talk PMing for 199tkns per month
    • direct question regarding something specific: I answer the question to the best of my ability like "Yes, I am taking privates tonight!" or "To add a song to the playlist you may tip 22tkns" or "I'm sorry, I do not offer those services. Best of luck elsewhere!"
    • rude question/comment/whatever: ignore, maybe ban/mute/ignore.
    • if they're commenting on something said in chat then I encourage them to participate in the main chat
  • member PMs me while I'm off cam and on the homepage
    • I send them my links
    • Ask them if they're trying to schedule a private or buy a custom vid
    • Refer them to my schedule and tell them when I'm going to be on next
    • or ignore it because I'm doing something
      • you can see what they wrote by hovering over their name while it's blinking without having to open up the PM window. That way you can see if it needs attention or not.
  • Paying member PMs me
    • I respond and don't push my sales on them unless they have specific questions.
    • I give them what they have paid for.
    • Less "business talk" and more casual conversation
    • if I'm busy then I respond when I can

Status
Not open for further replies.