AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Is MFC a good site for beginner models?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evvie

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Feb 12, 2012
I do not believe that MFC is a good site for beginner models, although you all may change my mind! Here is my argument:

♥ Camming has a steep learning curve. Juggling everything at once and spinning it in to a successful shift where the model is on top of everything takes at least several shifts to get the hang of; and yet, MFC starts punishing models as soon as they log on by reducing their camscore when they don't bring in enough tokens.
♥ MFC has a negative-style ranking system. A model will continually be pushed back in the ranks unless she makes X per hour. This puts huge pressure on new models (many of whom don't even understand how the rankings work) and inevitably means that the majority of new models, who cannot compete with established models, will have their camscores tanked by the time they are out of new model status.
♥ New model status, while generally bringing in more traffic for new models, lasts for only 10 hours of streaming time instead of, say, 5 days. This puts extra pressure on an informed model who knows she only has 10 hours to get the hang of MFC, collect regulars, get tokens, and push her camscore up before she's on her own. Models who don't understand the New Model status may just squander the time, not realising that soon they'll be dropping off the radar.
♥ MFC is a website where many models find they need content, games, prizes, raffles, and very interactive shows to be successful. I would be surprised if a new model was able to include such elements to her shows - which, while being money earners she really needs for her camscore - she may be unlikely to manage until she has more experience down the road.
♥ While we know there are some exceptions, once you have an account on MFC, you're stuck with it. No do-overs.
♥ If a model makes early mistakes, it may take months to earn her camscore back, even if she has drastically increased her skill level and really improved her shows.
♥ When a new model logs in, what might she do? A countdown? A nudity countdown? Should she take all her clothes off at once? Should she take only privates? Only groups? Should she use a dildo? Hitachi? What about a shower show? Wax? Lotion? Should she try not being overly sexual and many just hint at things? The possibilities on MFC are endless - which is what attracts a lot of people. But for a new model, the possibilities can be overwhelming.

The only new models I see with high camscores are models who already have experience working on other camsites.

I've only worked on MFC and SM, but I would call SM more beginner-friendly, and here be why:

♥ Camming has a steep learning curve. When you log in to SM, your ranking is never at risk if you don't earn X amount of money. You can log on for hours at a time to get the hang of things and it will not hurt your ranking.
♥ SM has a positive ranking system that is not dependent on money earned per hour. Your ranking on SM is judged by your Internet speed, your feed quality, whether or not you use a phone, star ratings, and time spent online (apologies if I've missed something). This means that during one day, the longer you stay online, the higher and higher you will be ranked. Your ranking will never be hurt if you stay online for a long period of time without earning money.
♥ New SM models do not need to rely on new model status to boost their accounts before they drop out of the spotlight. I'm not familiar much with how long models on SM are listed as "new", but because SM is not a site with a huge amount of pressure to be perfect when you start and you are always rewarded for time spent online, new model status is not a precious gift to be carefully used.
♥ SM is not a website where models need to spend their own money on prizes, host raffles or do other MFC-esque things; a model can log on, work, log off, and not pay much attention to camming until she wants to work again*
♥ SM support will allow you to create a new account if you want to.
If a model makes early mistakes, it doesn't matter - those early mistakes will not hurt her ranking and by the next time she logs in, her ranking will be back to normal.
♥ On SM, you log on and take exclusives or privates. If you want to do something specific, you can do a GOLD show. There is no anxiety about what kind of show to do that night hours before you get on cam, and no worry that you'll be "out of ideas" when you log on. You log on, get taken to private chats, and work.

Now I'm not denying that MFC is a super website. I do believe that an experienced model can make ridiculous amounts of money on MFC in a way that other websites haven't fully harnessed. But I think MFC should be a website that career models sign up for after they've worked a month or two on some other site. MFC is very unforgiving; if you mess up your first five shifts, you're stuck with the camscore you've got until you spend months building it back up again.

On the same note, this post isn't to imply that SM does take lots of hard work and that good models can't make bank there. I just think that it's much more forgiving.

So, what do you guys think? Is MFC a site that's more difficult for beginner models, or am I just a big poo?

[*I know that some models that work on SM do spend many full hours working on 'behind the scene' stuff that is important to their careers. From my own experience, when I stopped spending hours of my time social networking on MFC, my earnings dropped to the point where I could not longer make minimum wage. On SM, I don't network at all (even though I probably should do some minor things) and I'm making just as much as on MFC when I did spend all that time doing extras.]

As a follow-up, if MFC holds so many pitfalls for new models, why are so many new models wary of joining a different website? Here are my thoughts.

♥ It seems like MFC's reputation as a "social" camsite is very attractive to many models, who are afraid to try out another website - even though myself and I believe AlexLady can attest that there is just as much socialization on SM as on MFC.
♥ Even if models are willing to do sex acts in public chat on MFC, they are scared away by sites like SM who advertise with "live sex cams," "sex 24/7".
♥ Many models seem to incorrectly believe that because the payout percentage is higher on MFC, they will make more money. Or, they just can't stand the idea that they earn fewer cents per dollar spent, even if they may make vastly more dollars total on a lower-percentage site.

Oops... one more :lol:

It seems that SM has a reputation on ACF as being a boring website where models just sit around and fuck themselves silly. Usually it seems that when members here talk about SM, words like "degrading" or "objectification" pop up quite a bit.

It seems like some people have the idea that even though both MFC and SM are sex sites, SM is the degrading one because it focuses on models making money through private shows instead of models making money through public shows. But as it has been proven before, models can make money on SM without doing sexual acts. Models on SM are not mindless fucktoys who just give it the 'ol in-out for hours on end.

Streamate is just another camsite. There are models on MFC who are mindless fucktoys. There are models on MFC who don't care about the "community" and are only there for money. There are models on SM who are clever, intelligent, great conversationalists - and who get to have great conversations, too.

Models on SM have regulars, too. We get to talk and have fun and do all those normal things that people do. Streamate is no more an objectifying sex site than MFC is a non-nude only website to find a girlfriend.

I really agree with you here.

I had about a month of experience on SM before I started MFC, and I wish I had done MORE research on MFC before I started it. I was under the impression it ran a tiny bit more like SM than it does as far as rankings and being kinda more sexual entertainment. After my first shift which -thank goodness- wasn't a total bust, someone pointed out to me that I must have had a good night because my camscore had increased. Before that I didn't really realize the impact that would have on my experience on MFC.

For the camscore reason only I believe that MFC is much harder. New model status is typically make or break time and it doesn't work in everyone's favor, even for experienced models. I do believe that having experience on any kind of camming site will give you a leg up on MFC. It's so helpful to know how to confidently handle beggars and rude comments that come with the camming territory. Trying to learn how to deal with that as well as the other aspects of camming that are specific to MFC would be harder for an inexperienced model. The MFC guys can tell if you they can take advantage of you being a new model or not. That impression can be everything!

I totally screwed up my new model status on mfc. I had bad cam/lighting quality, I knew fuck all about mfc, nothing about camscore, no idea what to do, I was scared of talking, hadn't looked at other girls, had blocked england, almost all my regulars/prems now who come to my room (who I speak to) are english except for a few exceptions, lol I was completely blind! I actually didn't do that badly, I got lucky with privates etc and then as I started getting better as camming I brought in regulars etc, but I have a feeling I'd have done a lot better at the start.

I'm about to have a friend sign up to mfcs, and it's almost like a little experiment for me, she came on cam with me a while back and caused quite a stir (the girl is stunningly pretty in a very brown eyes, blonde hair, fall in love with me, girl next door, girl guys on mfc obsess over kind of girl), I can't imagine she'll do badly on mfc even if she never gets naked, but it'll be interesting to find out.
I'm now trying to set her up and make sure she learns as much as possible beforehand as I have a feeling if she plays it right she could go into the high camscore range, but then again, she may not, it's so hard to tell.
There's a model i've been chatting with, she seems really nice, and is clearly a very attractive girl with a good body, but she's about a month new, 7k camscore, pretty much constantly in groups with plenty of people, yet her cam quality and lighting is terrible, she types rather than talking, she spends like half an hour in group before getting naked or doing anything, but she seems to be doing really well! Well done to her, but it's interesting, the things she does usually doom models, but she seems to be thriving, maybe it won't last though.

I agree with you Evvie, Mfc is constantly trying to get new models yet it treats them terribly, and them bringing so many new models hurts more established models.

Fantastic wording & very well thought out points.

l4AXE.gif

Largely playing devil's advocate here but could it not be argued that this...

Evvie said:
♥ SM has a positive ranking system that is not dependent on money earned per hour. Your ranking on SM is judged by your Internet speed, your feed quality, whether or not you use a phone, star ratings, and time spent online (apologies if I've missed something). This means that during one day, the longer you stay online, the higher and higher you will be ranked. Your ranking will never be hurt if you stay online for a long period of time without earning money.

...while great for new models who perhaps aren't earning as much as the more established models, is maybe a little unfair to the models who are making the site the most money.

If ...

Model A has an average internet speed, decent but unspectacular feed quality, has been online for an hour, and has made, say (I have no idea what a decent wage is for a SM model so I'm pretty much plucking these figures out my arse :) ) $1000

and

Model B has a superior internet connection, fantastic feed quality, has been online for three hours, and has made $300

... does model A not deserve to be ranked above model B?

I concede that the MFC ranking system isn't completely new-model-friendly but I'd argue that it is fair. The models making the most money are rewarded with a higher rank (and placement on the page) than the models making less money. Survival of the fittest and all that.
This is ultimately conjecture on my part, but I get the impression that a lot of new models on MFC are there because they think camming is going to be easy money, and they underestimate the amount of hard work, research, and perfecting of their craft that's needed in order to make a go of things in cam land. There's a finite amount of members and a finite amount of money being spent by those members, and yet there's new models cropping up every day.
I'm of the opinion that the models who have stuck it out and cultivated a fanbase and have reached a point in their camming careers where they're making a decent amount of money, have kind of earned their rank on the homepage. I'm not so sure it's fair that a new model can rank righer than an established model, simply by having a better internet connection, ya know?

But, like I say, devils advocate ;) I don't doubt for a second that the reasons you've listed for SM being a better site for new models are 100% accurate :)

It's great that modelA made a whole lotta cash in an hour on SM with a shitty connection & craptacular cam, but assuming this is a regular thing (hence why she would be ranked lower), why wouldn't she "research" some better webcams & a higher speed internet? o_O That is more than enough for at the very least the camera.

Either way, MFC & Streamate are different beasts. Fuck the nonsense of debating who's fairer, they're both out for the same thing - taking a percentage of what we as cam models make. In a real in-depth look, neither is very fucking fair. Cam girls who can put up with and successfully maintain the raffling/totally public show/quiet times/the site generally being in favor of the member vs. the worker in disputes, rock on. I am honestly impressed, you are a better cam whore than myself. I don't see the point in dumping in that much effort when I can achieve the same effect doing what cam girls started out doing. I like to fuck myself & bullshit with people, I now get paid to do both. I like not having to worry about sending shit out, who recorded me this time (not that it doesn't STILL happen, but a whole fucking lot less & at least I know the recorder paid for it), going insane because no one is talking AT ALL or some guy getting overly attached & the site not trying to help me out with keeping him away from me when all else I have tried has failed. Just my two cents. ^.^

It should be noted, that whole bit about being impressed was NOT sarcasm. In my opinion the girl who goes out of her way to do all that DOES have a slightly harder job than a girl like me who logs on, fucks herself, logs off, makes content & calls it a day. Just saying, I tried it, was totally exhausted by it & find my way somewhere else. At the end of the day if a chick likes what she's doing she'll find an audience to do it for & get paid.

mynameisbob84 said:

Evvie said:

...while great for new models who perhaps aren't earning as much as the more established models, is maybe a little unfair to the models who are making the site the most money.

If ...

Model A has an average internet speed, decent but unspectacular feed quality, has been online for an hour, and has made, say (I have no idea what a decent wage is for a SM model so I'm pretty much plucking these figures out my arse :) ) $1000

and

Model B has a superior internet connection, fantastic feed quality, has been online for three hours, and has made $300

I concede that the MFC ranking system isn't completely new-model-friendly but I'd argue that it is fair. The models making the most money are rewarded with a higher rank (and placement on the page) than the models making less money. Survival of the fittest and all that.
This is ultimately conjecture on my part, but I get the impression that a lot of new models on MFC are there because they think camming is going to be easy money, and they underestimate the amount of hard work, research, and perfecting of their craft that's needed in order to make a go of things in cam land. There's a finite amount of members and a finite amount of money being spent by those members, and yet there's new models cropping up every day.
I'm of the opinion that the models who have stuck it out and cultivated a fanbase and have reached a point in their camming careers where they're making a decent amount of money, have kind of earned their rank on the homepage. I'm not so sure it's fair that a new model can rank righer than an established model, simply by having a better internet connection, ya know?

But, like I say, devils advocate ;) I don't doubt for a second that the reasons you've listed for SM being a better site for new models are 100% accurate :)
Hmm. It's kind of hard to say.

On the one hand, I understand your argument that a model who makes more per hour will not necessarily be ranked higher due to her earnings. It may be unfair that a model who has the best connection and computer is ranked higher.

But generally the way it goes on SM is that the models with the best Internet and connection are the ones who make the most. If a model has the superior connection and fantastic feed, she is going to make more than the model with the average connection and average feed.

Is this unfair? It depends on how you look at it.
On MFC, it's possible for a model with poor equipment to make decent money. The same is true on SM. However, how many top models do you see on MFC with poor feeds and bad internet?

On SM, a model can take control of her own placement by upgrading her equipment. This can be frustrating for models who cannot afford it, like myself. However, for models who have been stuck in the vicious camscore loop of MFC, even with great equipment, knowing that they will no longer be arbitrarily held back might be a very appealing prospect.

I agree that MFC is not the right FIRST site for beginner models, and I've heard other models agree on the same thing.

It's very easy for new cam models to fall into the "More hours on MFC = more $$$, which can ONLY be a good thing!" trap. I know for a fact that if I didn't have a cam score to think about, I'd be willing to cam on MFC 7 days a week (instead of just 4 times a week), and I'd probably stay on cam longer each shift.

Also, now that public cum shows have become the norm on MFC, some models have guys bolting the room the minute they tell them "No, I don't do public cum shows." On Streamate, however, it seems like more guys are willing to pay-per-minute to go private. Streamate is strict about below-the-waist nudity in public chat, and on that site EVERYONE watching a cum show is paying. Whether it be a model's Gold show, premium chat show, or exclusive chat show, none of the viewers on there are getting a free live cum show. I think that's part of the reason (in addition to no cam score...yay!) a lot of models seem happier on SM than they were on MFC. Guys on SM are made to realize "Okay, if I wanna see this girl use a toy, I HAVE to contribute." :thumbleft:

I made an account with SM a long time ago. I would've done SM except for the fact that they don't block area the way MFC does.

Reactions: ScarletRaven
Evvie said:
As a follow-up, if MFC holds so many pitfalls for new models, why are so many new models wary of joining a different website? Here are my thoughts.

It seems like MFC's reputation as a "social" camsite is very attractive to many models, who are afraid to try out another website - even though myself and I believe AlexLady can attest that there is just as much socialization on SM as on MFC.
♥ Even if models are willing to do sex acts in public chat on MFC, they are scared away by sites like SM who advertise with "live sex cams," "sex 24/7".
♥ Many models seem to incorrectly believe that because the payout percentage is higher on MFC, they will make more money. Or, they just can't stand the idea that they earn fewer cents per dollar spent, even if they may make vastly more dollars total on a lower-percentage site.

I have to admit I am not very familiar with SM. I have been on there a few times so do not know all the features etc. When you say socialization, do you just mean between models and the members? Is there any socializing between members? Is it even possible on SM?

When we talk about the socialization and community aspects of the different camsites, that is where MFC seems to be above the rest. I am not very experienced with other camsites so I hope someone will correct me if I am mistaken. Where MFC was very smart in their social engineering was allowing essentially the same interaction between members that is possible between a member and a model.

Does that help beginner models? Probably not.

Just a thought that popped into my head when reading Evvie's, always informative, posts. :thumbleft:

Just Me said:
Is there any socializing between members? Is it even possible on SM?

Yes, when the models have Streamate Party Chat turned on (as opposed to Classic Chat), members can read each other's text in the public chat. I've been in rooms where a guy would be acting like an ass, and other guys would be telling him to shut the fuck up or whatever. :lol:

Just Me said:
Evvie said:

It seems like MFC's reputation as a "social" camsite is very attractive to many models, who are afraid to try out another website - even though myself and I believe AlexLady can attest that there is just as much socialization on SM as on MFC.

I have to admit I am not very familiar with SM. I have been on there a few times so do not know all the features etc. When you say socialization, do you just mean between models and the members? Is there any socializing between members? Is it even possible on SM?

When we talk about the socialization and community aspects of the different camsites, that is where MFC seems to be above the rest. I am not very experienced with other camsites so I hope someone will correct me if I am mistaken. Where MFC was very smart in their social engineering was allowing essentially the same interaction between members that is possible between a member and a model.

Does that help beginner models? Probably not.

Just a thought that popped into my head when reading Evvie's, always informative, posts. :thumbleft:
Here is what I meant:

Let's say a woman is being informed about webcam modeling by a friend who is trying to get her involved. The woman says, "yeah, but I don't just want to masturbate for hours on end, that sounds boring/uncomfortable/other issue." This prompts the friend to say, "but you've got it totally wrong! Some websites may just be all about masturbation. This website MFC is really just about making friends and hanging out, there are tons of models on there who make great money and never get naked at all. Some models choose to do sex stuff but really, MFC isn't about sex. It's about socialization."

I feel this is misleading in three ways:

Firstly, when people talk about how good the socialization is on MFC, they often inherently imply that other camsites are just places for perverts and mindless whores to hang out. An MFC model must be better than any other model because she socializes; models on other sites just mindlessly perform sex acts for money.

Secondly, I think it unfairly informs women about what it takes to be successful. I'm not denying that MFC is a great place to socialize. But when people talk about the great MFC community, it suggests that all that stupid sex stuff is for models who can't hold conversation; if you're a good, regular woman, all people will want to do is talk to you and be your friend.

And third, it implies that socialization is easier and more desirable than sexual acts.

I do not believe members can send each other messages on SM. There is also no equivalent PM system on SM between models and members (you can send someone a private message within public chat, but I've never done this and nobody has ever sent me one).

In fact, in the "classic" chat mode many models chose to use, members cannot even see each other or what else is being typed in to chat. Only when a model chooses "party" chat can the members see and talk to each other.

I love the socialisation on mfc, but it's all bullshit really.

People tip me because they enjoy seeing me naked/sexy. My regulars tip me because after seeing me being sexy/being attracted to me they also enjoyed my personality, also finding it sexy and attractive.

When I have nights where I end up chatting and everyone has a great conversation, sometimes there'll be those nights, we all chat for hours, everyone tells me how this is the best room and how much fun they're having, yet wait, they don't tip? But when I start dancing and detach myself a bit they do tip.

I think sometimes the socialisation is the mask of mfc. The thing people can keep telling themselves they don't work/watch girls on a camsite. That the girls do actually do this for fun and that we are friends (Yes I do become friends with members but it's not the same as real life friendship).

Mfc is very very relaxed. It is therefore misleading and appeals to peoples fantasies more because the groundrules are so blurred I imagine it's easier to feel real.

I have never worked on streamate, but I do also get the impression it might be harder work/more action, but then also from what I hear from models it is not always so. I get put off by the advertising thing.

I completely agree that MFC is not exactly a profitable camsite to start out with on the get go, it is a great place for new cam girls to explore their sexuality and exhibitionism online in exchange for money.
MFC was the first site I started out with, and while I didn't do spectacularly I did manage to stay afloat for the first 6 months or so. Because nudity and masturbation by convention is okay in public chat, I could just go at my own pace and do what I pleased without feeling pressured to preform a certain way because of the whatever dollar per minute the customer is paying. I explored what I liked to do and what I didn't, and then gradually learned how to employ some business tactic into my public exhibitionism.
I was also at position in life where I didn't need to worry about money, which I understand not all people aspiring to this vocation have, but I think it's important to be able to test the waters a bit on a personal/social level with not too much focus on the income.

Reactions: MarinaThyme
I'm still new in ways and I don't make jabillions... but honestly I think you are who you are and it's part genetics, personality, and luck... you play up whichever makes up for what you're lacking in other departments.. in some ways it's how hard you work in some ways it's who happens to click in your room that day. I've worked in a lot of restaurants and it's the most comparable thing I think for newbies... somedays you got the big tip because they really liked YOU somedays you get big tips because everyone wanted your cut of steak that day...

is my metaphor too cheesy?

When i signed up in march I had no clue wtf I was doing it was a third job.. would sit in a half dark room in my pajamas with no makeup and score like 30 minute private shows all the time. I was like holy shit this is amazing...I never even knew what a camscore was except my regulars would tell me good job keeping it up. It was never under 1000 and steady around 1500
I resigned up due to confusions in september rested a little too much on my "new girl" tag and my score tanked down to like 450 in a week. I still don't follow a format.. I still need a new webcam cause I use a macbook..I haven't hit up victorias secret since like May... or the Toy shop..cause even though It's a priority now that I've moved I keep spending my "extra" money on priorities like furniture lol... And I make a livable income... comparable to waitressing or bar tending with the same inconsistencies but with my own hours and more fun... and maybe next month I'll try to blow it out the water... but no, I don't think MFC makes it impossible for newbies. :hello2:

ChrryBlossom said:
Aw Man! See this post scares me because I AM a beginner. That was the only thing I was worried about. So beginner models on MFC can't make it if they don't already have a fan base?
It's possible if you do your research and put in extreme effort right from the get-go. The point of this post isn't necessarily to say you have to bring a fan base with you to MFC, but you've got to have some experience, or at least do a lot of research.

MFC was my first camsite and I was luckily instantly a success there. But I had spent a lot of time as a viewer/member on the site first, watched a LOT of other girls, got active in their chatrooms to get a real feel for what it was like to be part of the social aspect, as well as watched girls on other sites. I invested in a good cam, good lighting, and a good computer setup. Made sure I had props (toys, cute clothes, a comfy place to sit/lay for shows) and knew when I logged on that I'd have to be very chatty and engaging.

I would guestimate that a good 80% (maybe higher since MFC's model pool seems to grow exponentially lately) DO NOT DO any of that and just hop on thinking it'll be a fun ol time and that money will just fall into their laps easily.

ChrryBlossom said:
Aw Man! See this post scares me because I AM a beginner. That was the only thing I was worried about. So beginner models on MFC can't make it if they don't already have a fan base?
Beginners on MFC can make it - a fan base is useful, but not the end-all. The point is experience. Because MFC is pretty unforgiving, if a model isn't at the top of her game (or at least doing pretty durn good) when she starts, it can be difficult to make up for those early mistakes later on.

As LuckySmiles said, it's perfectly possible to just jump on and do pretty well without knowing much of what's going on. But that is a very uncommon situation.

I don't want to discourage models who are already working on MFC, but if I were talking to a lady interested in camming, I wouldn't suggest her to join MFC.

Evvie makes a compelling case why MFC isn't good site for beginners. Although reading through the list it seems basically boil down to one thing, as beginner you will screw up your camscore. Your camscore is so important you shouldn't waste your valuable time as a new model, being an actual new model. :-D

My question is streamate really a good alternative for your average girl who's never done any nude work other than with boyfriend or flashing at spring break?
I am no expert on SM but I did follow one of my early favorites to SM when she left MFC. As a member there is one thing I like about SM gold shows, (I particularly like no freeloader in cum shows) and bunch of stuff that hate about the site. However, SM is highly sexualized the emphasis is getting guys out of free chats and into Gold Shows or privates and the expectation is a least masturbation and more likely penetration with toys. Also Gold shows aren't available to new models until they have completed quite a few 5 star privates.

Looking at the new models on SM right now, almost every model description talks about cum shows, toys, and wild fantasies, anal etc, stuff that I think would be intimidating to a girl brand new to the adult business. I know even less about Chaturabate but conceptually the model is closer to MFC, but gives the model more freedom to set her own prices for groups and privates and doesn't have the hated camscore. Chaturabate is also highly sexual, but there is sometime actual conversation which rise above h bb pussy, dp?. I have no idea if there are models who do ok on Chaturbate without masturbating, but it seems more likely than SM. Are there other better beginner sites?

The one thing that MFC has going for iit, is it possible for new model to do well here without going to far outside her comfort zone. I've been checking out new models a lot lately. Now after a minute or two it is easy to figure out that most are pretty bad, for all of the normal reason. Bad cam, worse lighting, they type instead of talk, don't spend much effort in looking attractive, spend too much time with basic etc.

However, there are a few exceptions. A couple days ago I found a new model been on MFC for 30 minutes and hadn't even looked at other cams. With a bit of coaching by myself and several other nice premiums, by the end of the night she had completed 3 countdowns and still had on bra and panties. She ended the night doing silly dances (Macarena and chicken dance LOL) she ended with a 900 token tip. I am pretty sure she made 2500-3000 on her first 3 hours on cam. The next night she cam back had countdown for removing her shirt, her jeans, a hand bra :), than 2000 token countdown for topless. That countdown took less than 30 minutes and she continued to get tips finally after 15 minute or so of being topless she explained that she wasn't comfortable being topless. She put her bra back on and continued to get tips for doing dancing and such, I think she made ~5K that night.

The nice thing was the conversation in addition to the normal sexual requests,the room talked about video games, LA, music, school and even, since she was a philosophy major, John Stewart Mills, and Descartes. Anyway I am pretty sure that model had fun and ended her first 6 hours on Cam with a camscore of 2100 and $400 or so in her pocket. Obviously being a classically cute California blond, with nice body helped a lot, but I find it hard to imagine that she would have done nearly as well on Streammates as she did on MFC spending only 10 minutes topless.

Your post was so super-duper Hi! And while I am probably using sillier phrasing because I'm drunk, I think you made a lot of good points.

The truth is that I feel MFC is one of the very few websites were a new model can log in and possibly make $400 on her first night. And that is why I think models should take care of their accounts as much as possible, by working out their mistakes on some other website.

You said you and some members coached a new model to do a great job; what about the other ten new models logged in who were floundering without good advice? Assuming you can not give every model personal coaching, would you not recommend they sign up somewhere else first to get experience before attempting the would-be cash cow of MFC?

HiGirlsRHot said:
Evvie makes a compelling case why MFC isn't good site for beginners. Although reading through the list it seems basically boil down to one thing, as beginner you will screw up your camscore. Your camscore is so important you shouldn't waste your valuable time as a new model, being an actual new model. :-D
Haha, I think this pretty much sums it up! It isn't all about the first 10 hours (although they are very important). A model may do well during her first 10 hours due to exposure, but when that drops off, she may be lost at sea, so to speak.

My question is streamate really a good alternative for your average girl who's never done any nude work other than with boyfriend or flashing at spring break?
You are correct that SM is very sexualized, which I think scares some ladies off. But models there are free to spend as much time on camera as they want before they do any sexual acts at all, without risking their ranking.

Also Gold shows aren't available to new models until they have completed quite a few 5 star privates.
This is a bit of a moot point, but the process to get GOLD shows is slightly more complicated (having to do with your equipment and Internet) and requires only a 5 star rating overall, which could be a single 5 star rating. To get GOLD shows I just messaged support and asked for them, very soon after I started camming on SM.

Are there other better beginner sites?
Probably; almost definitely, perhaps. Unfortunately I've never worked on any other site so I can't give out my thoughts or recommendations. A site with a more laid-back MFC style atmosphere, without the camscore to muck it all up, would probably be a very good choice for a new model.

The one thing that MFC has going for iit, is it possible for new model to do well here without going to far outside her comfort zone.
I agree, and this was really helpful to me when I started MFC. But although many models on SM are super wild with their shows, some models do only what they are comfortable with. I apologize for using AlexLady as another example, but she famously only does what she wants in her shows and she is one of the top ranking models on SM. Even if a model won't do anal squirting or whatever, if she spends enough time on SM, she can make considerable money.

Anyway I am pretty sure that model had fun and ended her first 6 hours on Cam with a camscore of 2100 and $400 or so in her pocket. Obviously being a classically cute California blond, with nice body helped a lot, but I find it hard to imagine that she would have done nearly as well on Streammates as she did on MFC spending only 10 minutes topless.
I feel you are correct. I would be shocked if she made that much on SM.

Here is the difference, though:

Out of the (let's just say) ten new models that were online, probably only the one you saw had great success. The other models may have made very little or nothing at all.

On Streamate, I would be equally as shocked if all 10 models did not make a decent amount of money. Would all of them make $400? Or even $50 an hour? No, maybe not. But they would all make pretty darn good cash per hour, and all of them would leave feeling good.*

The one blast-off success proves the rule, I feel. MFC can be an amazing site where a brand new model can leave making tons of money. However, it is not a "safe" website where the majority of models can succeed right off the bat.

I joined MFC on the 27th and by the 30th, I had made $300 for like six hours of work - that was as much as I made working forty hours over two weeks at my old job. If I had started on SM, I probably would have made $15 or $20 an hour. However, I believe that many new models would be happy with the "constant and steady" flow of SM rather than the "feast or famine" flow of MFC. I would rather see 10 models all make decent money on SM than 9 models sink and 1 model swim on MFC.

*I know that literally not all models on SM make a lot of money. However, compared to the number of instances of "I'm on MFC as a new model and I can't make money!" compared to "I'm a new model on SM and I can't make money", I feel SM wins - especially because I have never seen anyone (to date) say "I"m a new model on SM and I can't make money" and I think only one model ever say, "I work on SM and lately I haven't been able to make money." SM is not a magical site where you will just be handed cash - you have to work. But I know that when I log on to SM, I will make a certain amount per hour. On MFC, it was always up in the air for me - and that made it extremely stressful.

Evvie said:
As LuckySmiles said, it's perfectly possible to just jump on and do pretty well without knowing much of what's going on. But that is a very uncommon situation.

A model said my name! a model said MY name! :-D yayyyy!

might I just add that I don't mean to imply it's not alot of work, and definitely the more you put into it the more you'll get out of it.. I hop on randomly just to try out different times and get my fair share of crickets. believe me.
I'm just saying some of it feels like dumb luck sometimes... to date some of my better nights have been running into a big tipper who just likes to talk to me.. when I'll call up my friend the next morning like dude I wasn't even DOING anything.. which isn't reallly true it just feels like it to me.. I just mean I talk to people and pay genuine attention to people I'm just always shocked to get big tips during chit chat and then like little 5 10 20 token tips for a little while of sexy dancing and TRYING really hard to be sexy or whatever. I could talk to a wall all day... if people wanna tip me for talking(maybe in some kinda sexy pose but not even naked most the time)... I feel like I hit the freakin lotto

Reactions: feelnZANEY
ChrryBlossom said:

ChrryBlossom :hello2: A_Cute_Mew here (changed my name)! You were in my room the other day! Well, at the very least you found this forum before I did, so that's a great head start right there! :thumbleft:

Reactions: NikkiBlossom
Evvie said:
Your post was so super-duper Hi! And while I am probably using sillier phrasing because I'm drunk, I think you made a lot of good points.

Anyway I am pretty sure that model had fun and ended her first 6 hours on Cam with a camscore of 2100 and $400 or so in her pocket. Obviously being a classically cute California blond, with nice body helped a lot, but I find it hard to imagine that she would have done nearly as well on Streammates as she did on MFC spending only 10 minutes topless.
I feel you are correct. I would be shocked if she made that much on SM.

Here is the difference, though:

Out of the (let's just say) ten new models that were online, probably only the one you saw had great success. The other models may have made very little or nothing at all.

On Streamate, I would be equally as shocked if all 10 models did not make a decent amount of money. Would all of them make $400? Or even $50 an hour? No, maybe not. But they would all make pretty darn good cash per hour, and all of them would leave feeling good.*

The one blast-off success proves the rule, I feel. MFC can be an amazing site where a brand new model can leave making tons of money. However, it is not a "safe" website where the majority of models can succeed right off the bat.

I joined MFC on the 27th and by the 30th, I had made $300 for like six hours of work - that was as much as I made working forty hours over two weeks at my old job. If I had started on SM, I probably would have made $15 or $20 an hour. However, I believe that many new models would be happy with the "constant and steady" flow of SM rather than the "feast or famine" flow of MFC. I would rather see 10 models all make decent money on SM than 9 models sink and 1 model swim on MFC.

*I know that literally not all models on SM make a lot of money. However, compared to the number of instances of "I'm on MFC as a new model and I can't make money!" compared to "I'm a new model on SM and I can't make money", I feel SM wins - especially because I have never seen anyone (to date) say "I"m a new model on SM and I can't make money" and I think only one model ever say, "I work on SM and lately I haven't been able to make money." SM is not a magical site where you will just be handed cash - you have to work. But I know that when I log on to SM, I will make a certain amount per hour. On MFC, it was always up in the air for me - and that made it extremely stressful.

Thanks for compliment.

I pretty much agree with you Evvie, the model I describe was a fluke and there are probably ten times more new models hanging around in clothes, awaiting tips to remove a shirt,and when I check their status an 30 minutes later countdown has dropped from 500 to 490 :( . Arguable worse is the girl who are doing show cause some member convinced them "that if you get 4 fingers in your pussy bb, I'll tip you 500 tokens." :crybaby: The good news about SM it is pretty much certain that if you are going to get masturbate on cam you are least going to make a decent amount of money. Which isn't true on MFC, and not true on Chaturabate either.

So for a girl is comfortable with getting naked on cam, and/or has experience in the adult SM is probably a good maybe even the best place to start. Maybe they add MFC later.
On the other hand plenty of girls aren't comfortable getting naked on cam, and I think SM would be a pretty awful place for them to start, cause there aren't many guys willing to pay $3 or $4 minute if the girl is not comfortable with public nudity. Of course realistically there isn't that many girls that can make it as a non nude model on an any cam site. My guess is for the most part, cam models get more comfortable doing more sexually explicit things the longer they cam. Part of the appeal of a new models is the shyness and that is why this model made good money.

So the question is if MFC, generally isn't a good place for a new model, and SM isn't a good place for girls who aren't comfortable with masturbating on cam. What is a good cam site for beginners?

Reactions: LadyLuna
HiGirlsRHot said:
So the question is if MFC, generally isn't a good place for a new model, and SM isn't a good place for girls who aren't comfortable with masturbating on cam. What is a good cam site for beginners?
This is also assuming that new models won't be comfortable masturbating on cam. I recall that even though I was uncertain about the business portion, I had absolutely no concern, fear or worry about the sex parts. Also remember that just because a lady is new to webcamming, it doesn't mean she is new to sex work or nude modeling.

But I also have another thought on this, which is - if a model is not comfortable about masturbating on cam, she should not be a webcam model. There is a difference between, "oh gosh I've never logged on before and I'm nervous!" and, "I really do not feel mentally comfortable with masturbating in front of a live audience."

I think it is normal to have some anxieties which even veteran models get - "what if they don't like it? what if I'm not doing it right? what if nobody likes me?" and for a model with those fears, I think SM would be a great place to start.

But if you showed me a woman who said, "I think it would be a huge step for me to get naked on webcam. I feel really uncomfortable when I think of doing sex acts online. The only way I would join a website is if there was a possibility of me being able to make money without ever getting naked/doing sex stuff," then I would show you a woman who should not be a webcam model.

As far as there being a live webcam website that allows nudity/masturbation but doesn't require it, is extremely forgiving in terms of ranking and mistakes, is easy to work with* and allows even a brand-new model to make good and steady money without her doing anything overtly sexual - I don't know of one, but if anyone does, let me know and I'll sign up.

*Some cam sites can have really confusing interfaces. Deciding to work with the encoder on SM, for example, can be a pretty complicated process - especially before they had the Adobe profile settings available for download. So a website very intuitive and easy to understand would also be important when considering the new model, imo.

mynameisbob84 said:

Evvie said:

If ...

and

I know this wasn't your intent, and I understand your argument, but I'm a bit insulted that you think the only way for a camsite to be "fair" is to punish girls not making money. You've been in my MFC room and know how much I struggle with the camscore situation, just like lots of other rad models, and it becomes a vicious cycle. At this point, I'm not an unsuccessful MFC model because of lack of skill/awesomeness; it's because nobody can find me and therefor will never know how awesome I am. ;) If all websites adopted MFC's camscore system then plenty of guys that love to spend money on me on streamate might never find me and I would very possibly not be able to be a successful cam model and, in the long run, not a cam model at all. Would that "fair" to the guys who have found me and become fans due to my high SM placement because I've taken the time and effort to acquire the equipment necessary to put on a good show? I also think MFC's system is unfair to many guys that would probably really enjoy my show and would love to tip accordingly for it but will never know I exist.

Like others have said in this thread, fuck fair/not fair, none of it's really fair, it's capitalism and we all know it. Regardless of what website you are working on; there will be those who sink and those who swim, no matter how the placement is decided.

I started on MFC, and I can say with 100% certainty that it's not a good place for models who have barely even heard of camming before. I didn't know what I was doing, and foolishly took advice from "helpful" members. I was naive, and got taken advantage of pretty badly. I spent way too much time in pms with "friends" who asked way too much about my sex life, watched all my shows without tipping every night, and felt entitled to all my time, attention, and content. When I tried going back for a while, all the people from my room before just wanted to see me make the same mistakes because they were good for them. Then they got mad at me for caring about making a living, and not just being "social" and giving them whatever they want. I will never be able to recover my camscore, I don't have the energy, time, patience, or resources at my disposal. If I had tried another site first, I would have made my mistakes there, and been ready by the time I hit MFC.

I now cam on Stream Mate. It's more my pace. I have a lot of health, and personal stuff (that I won't discuss out here, you can pm if you want to know) that prevents me from working a normal job, or being "on" all the time the way MFC demands. I like that I can log in with classic chat on. I can just quietly ban any trouble makers without anyone else in the room even knowing they were there. With classic chat members don't socialize with each other, but you know what? I like that. They are in my chat room, the focus should be on me, k thnx. I like the intimate feel of it, every conversation is private enough that they don't mind asking about fetishes or whatever and I don't have to deal with tons of pms and get distracted from my room.
I like that I don't feel pressured to do public shows. I don't want 100+ people watching what 2 or 3 paid for. I don't like to see my ass all over xhampster, and know that the person who stole my content didn't pay a penny for it.

I have some very social time on there. One on one and intimate the way I like it. I build a special and unique relationship between myself and each of my very kind, sweet, respectful, regulars. They respect my boundaries, they understand that I am there to make a living, and because I'm not allowed to give out outside contact info, they don't expect me to spend all day talking to them when I'm not online. I really like my regulars, I am very friendly and affectionate with them. When we go private we usually take a moment to chat after all the sexy stuff is out of the way. I like that no one spends a handful of tokens on me once and then expects special treatment from then on, for free.

MFC just felt a little "dance monkey, dance for our amusement"
Personally I get more respect on Stream Mate If I ever do go back to MFC I would demand it, but when I was new, I wasn't able to yet.

Edit: I find the placement on Stream Mate is pretty fair, guys there like nice clear, HD streams, and are willing to pay more for them. I worked on there until I could afford to upgrade my internet, and then it improved my placement. My new placement means I can comfortably pay for my faster speed, and have a bit to put aside to save up for a better computer. I may be pretty much "buying" a higher placement, but that doesn't mean I didn't work for it. And I feel better knowing it's not determined by luck, or because one really wealthy member who might just disappear tomorrow and never come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.