AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Skypers vs Scammers

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilith_Winter

Inactive Cam Model
Mar 4, 2015
What are some ways you can tell between a guy who's trying to scam you and a guy who's just looking for a Skype show? I get these guys who are really persistent about paying via an Amazon gift card, even after I tell them I'm only interested in tokens. Are they trying to scam me? I know some models accept Amazon gift cards as payment, but I'm a little uncomfortable about how ADAMANT these guys are about doing it that way. I've explained to them that I understand MFC takes a percentage out of my pay, but that tokens are really the best way to help me as I'm an up and coming model and I could really use an improved camscore to get people in my room. The more argumentative they become, the more certain I am they're trying to scam me, but I dunno... am I turning down perfectly legitimate Skype requests?

1) Members who are expecting to pay much, much less than they would on MFC are a red flag. Maybe not a scam, but definitely make for a shitty customer base and devalue your time
2) Members who offer "way to good to be true" compensation for Skype
3) Members who expect to pay via means that can easily be refunded (paypal, amazon giftcard, etc.)

Set your rules for Skype and stick to them. A lot of new girls make the mistake of trying too hard to be nice and thereby letting members control them...STOP IT!!! This is not a retail job where you have to kiss the customers ass and get the same hourly wage no matter what. This is your business and by allowing them to have this argument you are wasting time that could be spent having fun and making tokens. Being assertive is not the same as being bitchy.

"Hi, my rates for Skype are XXX and I accept ______ :)" if they protest that say "Nope, sorry". If they keep arguing or get belligerent ignore them.

If they were being genuine, they wouldn't have a problem paying your price via the medium of your choice. I don't walk into Walmart and start bitching at them when they won't accept Canadian Tire Money. Defensiveness is a HUUUUUUGE red flag.

If they were worried about MFC taking a "cut of your pay" then they had better fucking offer you your take home + MFC's cut.

>>See here<<

Even if they aren't trying to scam you, they are trying to rip you off. Why would you want "customers" who low ball you, disrespect and bicker with you, and after putting up with all that you made less money?

If you ARE interesting in methods of payment other than tokens, check out the threads on Google Wallet. As far as Im aware, thats the hardest to get chargedback on. Iv'e never used it, but I think Lacie Laplante does and has said good things. You can also sell Skype through ManyVids, but I havent tried that. They have a similar cut to MFC.

I used to work with MFC but now I'm on another site but that is off topic.I've learned that majority of people asking for Skype are scammers or they are trying to get personal information such as your real name.This is usually what happens when they ask for skype. (I fell for it when I was new) .
Customer: Do you have Skype
Model: I don't do that.
Customer: I'll give you a $1,000
Model : Ok *Gives skype name *
Customer: I'll give you $2,000 if you walk around with a thong.
Model: Does it.
Customer: I'll give you $3,000 if you lick your left boob while doing a hand stand.
It goes on and on and he never pays.

Off course, the skype scam works both ways... there are also models who offer skype services but never show up after payment. There the same is true: If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

A skypeshow can be a wonderful thing, akin to a true private.. it's best if all parties would treat it as such.

There are other reasons a member might not want to pay through MFC directly (they don't trust the site, they'd rather 100% of their tip went to the model, they don't what their wife knowing that they're paying online models to do sex stuff) but it's probably best to err on the side of caution and assume they're going to cancel the gift card as soon as you've done the show for them. You'll most likely save yourself much more money and time in the long run that way than you'd miss out on with the few members who genuinely wanted to pay for services though Amazon :twocents-02cents:

mynameisbob84 said:
There are other reasons a member might not want to pay through MFC directly (they don't trust the site, they'd rather 100% of their tip went to the model, they don't what their wife knowing that they're paying online models to do sex stuff) but it's probably best to err on the side of caution and assume they're going to cancel the gift card as soon as you've done the show for them. You'll most likely save yourself much more money and time in the long run that way than you'd miss out on with the few members who genuinely wanted to pay for services though Amazon :twocents-02cents:

I actually have a huge problem with members who say that, this is more directed at Lilith though.

MFC, and other camsites, give models a platform to cam where hundreds or thousands of people can visit, many of whom are paying customers. Finding that kind of traffic on the internet to sustain yourself would be incredibly time consuming and difficult, and while select few have success with that method, most will not. And if someone thinks that a slow day in camland is frustrating, talk about the frustrations of finding your own traffic. That is why I personally have no problem if a camsite takes a portion of what members are paying. They advertise, they provide the traffic, and they provide a means of getting paid in a secure manner.

Also if someone is using the excuse about feeling like a site isn't safe or not wanting their wife to find out (aside from the whole dishonesty with finances issue) they could always get a prepaid VISA card or something like that. They don't contain personal information and are obviously not linked to a bank account. Unfortunately, the reality is that most who want to pay with gift cards are just trying to scam models. Don't feel bad about being abrupt with them.

Jessi said:
Set your rules for Skype and stick to them.
"Hi, my rates for Skype are XXX and I accept ______ :)" if they protest that say "Nope, sorry". If they keep arguing or get belligerent ignore them.

Thank you so much Jessi. I am new on MFC and I'm genuinely wanting to offer skype shows for less than site private rates to boost my camscore, but I haven't had ONE honest token offer so far. I was having a hard time figuring out how to let guys know what my rules are, and I often just end up wasting my time with them in pm before we get to the payment part. These are premiums with high visible reward points who for some reason don't wish to purchase tokens anymore. They also make up excuses when I tell them that MFC now accepts paypal payments. I was thinking of straight up asking these guys if they plan to pay for shows with amazon gc or paypal and tell them "sorry not interested". Would cut up a lot of the useless conversation, but your way of saying it is very business-like and straight to the point. Will have to use that line in the future. :)

Snowie1969 said:
Off course, the skype scam works both ways... there are also models who offer skype services but never show up after payment.

I have wondered about this. I have had several models on CB and MFC hit me up for skype as soon as I entered their rooms.

For the right model, I would probably reinstall skype and do it, but damn...chat me up a little first. I need to be seduced.

From a customers standpoint I don't get the appeal of Skype over an MFC private. If the cost is the same why not go with the way that's going to be somewhat regulated and comes with a recording.

Albert_1 said:
From a customers standpoint I don't get the appeal of Skype over an MFC private. If the cost is the same why not go with the way that's going to be somewhat regulated and comes with a recording.

You can achieve much better video quality with Skype than "HD" on MFC ever would provide. It's not terribly hard to record Skype sessions, either, if that's important.

If the member's paying offline with MFC tokens, Skype sessions can bring a boost to the model's cam score, which is always nice, particularly for mid-lowish models. As long as both model and member are trustworthy, it's a win-win proposition.

Albert_1 said:

The video and audio quality on skype is vastly superior than MFC stream. The recording on MFC privates are somewhat of a joke, difficult to find. I know I did a private with model but I typically have to look through months of chat archives to find it. Financially they can be win win for both the member and model. They are less rushed/relaxed if a camgirl wants to vent about the asshole on chat yesterday or the landlord, I am happy to listen, not so if I'm paying 60/80 tokens a minute. Finally, skypes just feel much more real to me, I'm talking to a real person, not a sex worker.

If they were worried about MFC taking a "cut of youIfr pay" then they had better fucking offer you your take home + MFC's cut.

Let them know that the only reason you are currently having this conversation is because MFC provided you with a platform in which to do so. Also, MFC makes their money when members buy tokens; you are getting 5 cents for each token spent on you and MFC isn't getting any of that.

ComicOzzie said:
If they were worried about MFC taking a "cut of youIfr pay" then they had better fucking offer you your take home + MFC's cut.

Let them know that the only reason you are currently having this conversation is because MFC provided you with a platform in which to do so. Also, MFC makes their money when members buy tokens; you are getting 5 cents for each token spent on you and MFC isn't getting any of that.

I mentioned that^ to one of these guys, and that I had no problem with MFC taking their cut for providing the traffic/platform, but of course he didn't care, and was still adamant about not using tokens.

caramia said:
ComicOzzie said:

I mentioned that^ to one of these guys, and that I had no problem with MFC taking their cut for providing the traffic/platform, but of course he didn't care, and was still adamant about not using tokens.

IOW, he is adamant about ripping you off.

Also, it's a good idea to just do skype shows with members who are your regulars, that way both parties have established a level of trust and built at least somewhat of a rapport. I'm just not comfortable doing skype shows for a complete stranger. :twocents-02cents:

Even with the regulars though, and I'm on about rooms I've been around for years, it's easy enough for a member to not get what you paid for.

Model I've visited since 2011 still owes me time from 3 months back >.<

If I can give one piece of advice to members regarding skype shows, it's this...

NEVER buy a skype show from a model unless you plan on doing the show right at the time you paid for it! Never pay for one in advance to schedule it for a later time and/or day. Models hate "owing" members skype shows. It takes all the fun out of the skype show for us when we know that we're indebted to you for it, and more often than not, models will tend to keep putting it off.

This is why I never raffle off skype shows. If I do ever choose to offer that in the future, I'd make sure to do the skype right at the time of the drawing.

Poker_Babe said:
If I can give one piece of advice to members regarding skype shows, it's this...

NEVER buy a skype show from a model unless you plan on doing the show right at the time you paid for it! Never pay for one in advance to schedule it for a later time and/or day. Models hate "owing" members skype shows. It takes all the fun out of the skype show for us when we know that we're indebted to you for it, and more often than not, models will tend to keep putting it off.

This is why I never raffle off skype shows. If I do ever choose to offer that in the future, I'd make sure to do the skype right at the time of the drawing.
I think your first bit of advice in this thread is great; try to stick to models/members you know when you do a Skype. The above advice, however, contradicts what models tell us in other threads, which is roughly paraphrased as don't expect to take models away from being online to Skype. Most of my Skype time is scheduled. I don't ever seem to have a real issue with this because of your first bit of advice though.

HiGirlsRHot said:
I'm talking to a real person, not a sex worker.

Sex workers are real people.

But yes, some members prefer skype because they hope the model will go overtime/they can convince her to go longer than he paid for. :?

Kradek said:
Poker_Babe said:

I think your first bit of advice in this thread is great; try to stick to models/members you know when you do a Skype. The above advice, however, contradicts what models tell us in other threads, which is roughly paraphrased as don't expect to take models away from being online to Skype. Most of my Skype time is scheduled. I don't ever seem to have a real issue with this because of your first bit of advice though.
:text-yeahthat:

Ideally yes it is great to do a skype right after the model is done with a show. In the same way that many models take privates after a show. In practice it doesn't work out that way very often. Scheduling a skype can be a pain in the ass, which is why both models and members need to have a built up a high level of trust (i.e. be a regular), and patience is very important.

I have heard the indebted issue before and it makes some sense. However, I don't understand why owing a skype is any different than owing a costume video, or owing a making and mailing a batch of cookies. In general I'd think they'd be a lot less time consuming than a custom video, and less fattening than making cookies :lol:

The above advice, however, contradicts what models tell us in other threads, which is roughly paraphrased as don't expect to take models away from being online to Skype.

Well I shouldn't have said "NEVER" (my mom always used to get on my case about speaking in absolutes), it's just that I hear models complaining about how they hate owing skype shows quite often. It's also common to hear members saying that "so n' so" still owes them a skype, after waiting for a number of months.

As far as taking her away from MFC to do skype, this is why I only agree to do skype when I've finished my countdown or if it happens to be a really slow slow night on MFC.

HiGirlsRHot said:
I have heard the indebted issue before and it makes some sense. However, I don't understand why owing a skype is any different than owing a costume video, or owing a making and mailing a batch of cookies. In general I'd think they'd be a lot less time consuming than a custom video, and less fattening than making cookies :lol:
Well that's a good question... I guess (for me) it's probably the same psychology behind why I seem to hate "owing" my man a blow job (yes sometimes when I really want to get out of doing something at the last minute, I know that I can't always get my man to cover for me, because no man alive can turn down one of my blow jobs once they've experienced my insane oral skills... eh hem...). But when I don't feel indebted, it feels like it's on my terms, and I absolutely LOVE doing it... if that makes any sense. Must be an sub-conscience control issue with me I guess. meh...

bakersman said:
Poker_Babe said:
Well I shouldn't have said "NEVER" (my mom always used to get on my case about speaking in absolutes),

lol, so your mom ALWAYS got on your case about speaking in absolutes? :lol:
Was wondering if anybody was going to catch that... By the time I realized what I said, it was too late to edit my post. lol
You Sir, get a Gold Star ! :lol:

Yeah i just want to say.. poker babe the way you do your skype is the exact opposite of me. So I don't think "never never never" is a good thing to say here - it obviously varies.

I MUCH prefer to have a paid apt set up.

And i like it paid then, because dudes are far less likely to flake..

i schedule them, and treat it like any other commitment (drs apts etc.. ) - i only cancel when I *phsyically* can't do it for some reason.

If I'm accepting a skype and leaving MFC to do it, i'm either at the end of a bad shift, or in the middle of a shift so bad i want to cry. Anything else kills my room.

I stopped selling skypes months ago because they are such a pain in the ass.

I still offer them as raffles but... still a pain in the ass.

In November when I first started a member offered to buy me a c920 in exchange for a skype. We only managed to get our schedules together in JANUARY. Late January.

In the same November I was doing a Skype raffle in room. The dude who won kept on saying he's gonna install skype. I kept saying sure... whenever. We're in April now. Needless to say that the said Skype has become a running joke between me and that member. I even told him that his Skype offer expired when 2014 turned into 2015 :mrgreen:

When I was actually selling them EVERY single one of them ran over by at least 5-10 mins. (my fault) but if that was an MFC private it would have been 300-600 extra tokes for me. :mrgreen:

So.. yeah... pain in the ass.

About amazon and stuff.... Am I am the only one that doesn't take giftcards as payment for anything? I mean... the hint is in the name... 'gift'? Just sayin'....

Skype shows are superior in almost everyway in my opinion. Private shows are great too but when given the option Skype is always better. Skype doesn't feel as slimy to me for some reason. Not that it is any different from a private show really but it doesn't feel like I'm at a zoo like it does when I'm at a camsite. Skype feels way less like I'm paying a sex worker to perform sex acts for me and more like I'm hanging out with a friend that will perform sex acts for money.

I wouldn't recommend offering Skype shows if you are sheepish or kinda weak minded tho. Guys will try to take advantage and go over on time but all you have to do is stop the show and tell them, super simple solution. If they get mad, too bad. Skype can be a great money maker if the model wants it to be, just have to be a little bit careful and be willing to stand up for yourself.

Queen_Anne said:
About amazon and stuff.... Am I am the only one that doesn't take giftcards as payment for anything? I mean... the hint is in the name... 'gift'? Just sayin'....
Only thing I accept giftcards as payment for is half the cost of custom profile jobs I do for models. That's it!
I don't accept giftcards as payment for anything else because 1.) I feel like giftcards should be just that... a gift! And 2.) because my landlord won't let me pay my rent in amazon giftcards lol.

Skype to me is so much better than private shows. Obviously the better picture like others have mentioned but also I can see the guy better (if he has and turns on his cam,) as well as the guy can talk and not have to stop to just type. That's easier for them too i'm sure. I dont wanna stop DJing to type so why would they? That's so much better than me having to stop to read or get out of my groove to get closer to a screen to see. He can just talk and I hear him. Magic ! lol Now I know some girls hate that aspect but I do not.

I also prefer they be scheduled. I never feel the nagging feeling of having something hanging over me but I do get some girls dont like "owing" something to anyone over their head. I agree it's no different than making a video and taking the time to do that. I like scheduling them for when it works for me and them and we can both just chill and relax. Or get right down to it if that's how we feel. Im super flexible and work from home and my roomie doesnt give a shit so if their time is different than mine then it's no big deal for me to work around that. I mean I may be a little unhappy if the only time they have ever is 5 am but I dont low ball my prices so it's worth it to me.

On the guys side I know some guys have prepaid skypes coming and will see the girl online all the time but she somehow does not have time for his skype ever and for months on end. To me it's kinda rude to do that shit. Get on an hour later girly and keep your agreement of what he paid for. It's only fair. You took the money and should honor it. Maybe if you did he would buy another one and that's guaranteed money in my eyes. Putting it off for for ever just makes girls look bad, unprofessional, rude, selfish, and kinda like a thief in my opinion. Id be pretty upset if that happened to me really. If you have the time to be on camming you have the time for a skype someone paid for months ago. (To be clearer this is not for girls who have time restrictions, honest issues, time differences, etc, but to the girls who just take skype money and run it seems which many members have complained about in threads.)

I also have little issue with them going over a bit. If I wanna sit for a few minutes to chat before a show starts I can and he's not feeling his tokens drain and Im not feeling the pressure to get right to naked and such. I can take my time. Then when it does start I can actually relax and make myself cum. I see a million girls complain about shows ending or being cut off before they have time to and they want to but have to stop cause they're kicked back to chat. I dont have to worry about that with skype. Ever. I can just keep going till I do. Even if he ends the show I can still not give a shit and go on with my diddling self cause there's no chat to be kicked back to.

Status
Not open for further replies.