AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

So how did Bitcoin end up playing out here....

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PunkInDrublic said:
Reading that 2012 thread is hilarious, we were so young back then you guys haha. Two things I mention not liking about bitcoin in that thread, shady dealers and pedophiles, were attacked by the FBI not too long after. Weird. Didn't do much good but still interesting I guess. Related reading for anyone bored enough
http://www.wired.com/2013/11/silk-road/

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/6113/fre...under-arrestes-users-fed-javascript-exploits/

shady dealers and pedophiles lol.....Cash has the same problem.

Not the same problem bitcoin has with it. How long until you try to get models to join your next failed bitcoin camsite?

This thread fills me with a bit of sad. Mainly because I think the person claiming to be the end-all be-all ambassador for bitcoins is failing to remain objective while talking about them so it's making the whole thing really laughable.

I won't claim to know all there is to know about bitcoins because they're a really complex system. Someone close to me heard about them when they started back in 2008ish and thought, "Let's mine some for shits and giggles!" because why not. He didn't really have anything to lose. Ended up with a bunch of them and forgot about it for a few years until the first "spike" in value happened. Ended up cashing them out for a couple grand and built himself a shiny new computer. (Of course he kicked himself in the butt for not waiting until the second or third spike when each bitcoin was worth near $1000 per coin but still... shiny new computer so at least something came of it.) This was all back before the whole "buzz" about bitcoins became a thing and it got more popular.

Can money be made in bitcoins? Absolutely. I mean, I've seen it first hand.

Is it wise to throw your money into it? That's up to the individual, but you wouldn't catch me doing it. The mining part of bitcoin is so ridiculously saturated with people doing it now you won't make anything substantial that way unless you've got a room full of super powerful computers dedicated to doing nothing but mining all day every day. If you've got that? Sure, fill your boots. Putting your ACTUAL money in it that you can't afford to lose is ridiculous. The market is so volatile that you've got to be a pretty big risk-taker to go for it. The guy I know keeps a few dollars in it here and there, nothing that he'd ever miss if the market tanked again (which it has, a few times, very badly). Again, just for shits and giggles really.

And yeah there's the whole it being used for illegal stuff which is kind of sketchy but that's what happens when it's anonymous. Cash could be seen the same way but when it's anonymity on the internet it's so much easier to make money laundering, drugs, hit men, etc, etc all so much easier than offline. But if anyone's read up on the Silk Road fiasco, you can see that the FBI keeps pretty close tabs on these things. (But then again the guy was a totally genius who used his personal gmail account for correspondence about various very shady and very illegal things... so that's not too bright. But still, law enforcement keeps a very close eye on this stuff regardless of that.) I imagine that'll only increase the more popular it becomes. But just like cash, because some people use it for illegal things, doesn't mean everyone will. Hell, some people even claim the money they make from it on their taxes even though in theory you *could* be sneaky and get away with it if you were smarter than me and knew how to hide it.

sfhdskdshjfkds. My first post outside of the models-only section and it's rambling about bitcoin. Totally never saw that coming! But I wanted to give everyone a more... level-headed, less "nenernener I told you so" perspective about the whole thing.

This reply has been far too serious for my liking. So now... BOOBIES AND KITTENS! IN SONG FORM! HUZZAH!

BreeBelle said:
The mining part of bitcoin is so ridiculously saturated with people doing it now you won't make anything substantial that way unless you've got a room full of super powerful computers dedicated to doing nothing but mining all day every day. If you've got that? Sure, fill your boots.

To be honest, these days even if you have plenty of general-purpose hardware and energy to spare it's quite likely not worth it due to the amount of special purpose ASICs and botnets being used to mine bitcoins. At work ( a high tech company ), every once in a while people do the math and usually the conclusion is the same: the cost of hardware, energy and cooling required for mining bitcoins at a decent rate is is higher than the returns you would have mining them, unless there's a large increase in price or the mining costs drop quite a bit.

weirdbr said:
BreeBelle said:
The mining part of bitcoin is so ridiculously saturated with people doing it now you won't make anything substantial that way unless you've got a room full of super powerful computers dedicated to doing nothing but mining all day every day. If you've got that? Sure, fill your boots.

To be honest, these days even if you have plenty of general-purpose hardware and energy to spare it's quite likely not worth it due to the amount of special purpose ASICs and botnets being used to mine bitcoins. At work ( a high tech company ), every once in a while people do the math and usually the conclusion is the same: the cost of hardware, energy and cooling required for mining bitcoins at a decent rate is is higher than the returns you would have mining them, unless there's a large increase in price or the mining costs drop quite a bit.

Yeah that's a good point!
It's not worth it in the slightest when you account for all of that.

So really, unless you're one of the few people who got in on it at the beginning when it was super easy to mine with just your regular computer, or you just happen to have tons of money you won't miss burning a hole in your pocket, it's not exactly the most sound investment anyone could make.

BreeBelle said:
Yeah that's a good point!
It's not worth it in the slightest when you account for all of that.

So really, unless you're one of the few people who got in on it at the beginning when it was super easy to mine with just your regular computer, or you just happen to have tons of money you won't miss burning a hole in your pocket, it's not exactly the most sound investment anyone could make.

To me the main thing that makes it a horrible investment for most anyone is just the volatility in them. Unlike all other forms of currency, the stock market, commodities...(you name it), Bitcoin value is based on nothing. There no gold, oil or any tangible good they are based on backing up their value. That's why you can see the price go to such spikes for absolutely no reason, and also why you can lose your money fast too. It's just an all around bad investment.

They could be worth $10,000 next year. But they could also be worth a nickel by then. There's no way of saying either will happen with any reason behind it. The way I see it anyone who tells you otherwise and pushes you into buying them is one of 3 things: a scam artist, stupid, or as is most often the case, a bitcoin merchant who gets fees off the transactions.

If you look at the reports of venture capitalists buying into this, as the guy mentioned earlier, you'll notice none of them are actually buying bitcoins. They're just investing in the merchant companies that handle the transactions.

I agree that a cam site is a bit too unpredictable, however, I actually have a miner set up in my garage & i enjoy mining alt coins while i'm away at my normal 10am-10pm job. I have successfully sold those coins for bitcoin & have saved up a nice penny for paramedic school. I even have my bitcoin & litecoin addresses at the bottom of my mfc profile. A few members have donated there, but I dont accept it as a form of payment. Crypto currency is a very volatile market! haha but very fun to play with

Reactions: Lovelyhills
BreeBelle said:
This thread fills me with a bit of sad. Mainly because I think the person claiming to be the end-all be-all ambassador for bitcoins is failing to remain objective while talking about them so it's making the whole thing really laughable.

Never claimed to be the end-all be-all ambassadors. I guess some people don't like facts and didn't like my post. I was totally objective.

To me the main thing that makes it a horrible investment for most anyone is just the volatility in them. Unlike all other forms of currency, the stock market, commodities...(you name it), Bitcoin value is based on nothing. There no gold, oil or any tangible good they are based on backing up their value. That's why you can see the price go to such spikes for absolutely no reason, and also why you can lose your money fast too. It's just an all around bad investment.

They could be worth $10,000 next year. But they could also be worth a nickel by then. There's no way of saying either will happen with any reason behind it. The way I see it anyone who tells you otherwise and pushes you into buying them is one of 3 things: a scam artist, stupid, or as is most often the case, a bitcoin merchant who gets fees off the transactions.

The only reason there would be volatility is if you hold on them. Right now I could send you Bitcoins and you could instantly get cash. That is how you defeat volatility.

If you look at the reports of venture capitalists buying into this, as the guy mentioned earlier, you'll notice none of them are actually buying bitcoins. They're just investing in the merchant companies that handle the transactions.

Correct. But many famous vc's do own Bitcoins personally.

edit: suicidegirls girls now accepts Bitcoin same reddit thread today:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comment ... s_bitcoin/

cryptoassets said:

The only reason there would be volatility is if you hold on them. Right now I could send you Bitcoins and you could instantly get cash. That is how you defeat volatility.

Correct. But many famous vc's do own Bitcoins personally.

edit: suicidegirls girls now accepts Bitcoin same reddit thread today:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comment ... s_bitcoin/
You're like a bad penny that won't go away.

Look, bitcoins aren't really taking off with camgirls. Sure, some girls use them and that's cool, more for them and I hope they're rolling in virtual currency. It's also cool that some don't want to. Continuing to press the issue isn't making anyone more likely to check it out, in fact, you're probably having the opposite effect.

Since I don't have any bitcoins, this has been my :twocents-02cents: .

AllisonWilder said:
Look, bitcoins aren't really taking off with camgirls. Sure, some girls use them and that's cool, more for them and I hope they're rolling in virtual currency. It's also cool that some don't want to. Continuing to press the issue isn't making anyone more likely to check it out, in fact, you're probably having the opposite effect.

Some major webcam sites are accepting bitcoin how isn't it taking off with camgirls ? I never had anything but the opposite effect because that is the point the community never accepted it or me and instead decided to throw out insults both to me and Bitcoin. Why?

cryptoassets said:
AllisonWilder said:

Some major webcam sites are accepting bitcoin how isn't it taking off with camgirls ? I never had anything but the opposite effect because that is the point the community never accepted it or me and instead decided to throw out insults both to me and Bitcoin. Why?

Wow Dude. Take your bitcoins to some dark part of the internet and use them to buy some weed because you need to chill. You do not have an audience here. Adapt or die.

cryptoassets said:
AllisonWilder said:

You lied to us and were rude. Like really rude. And then you denied the fact that you lied AND have been completely oblivious to your poor manners as well. To be honest I don't know that I even have a problem with Bitcoin but I feel like at this point most of us who have been following this probably don't like YOU very much. You clearly just did not approach this community properly and I don't think anyone really wants to hear what you have to say. We have said many times that you should really just move on and stop trying to push this here in this community.

Maybe some folks here will be interested in Bitcoin at some point someday but I feel like it'll need to be presented by someone else, most likely someone that we know and trust who treats us with respect.

Camgirl said:
cryptoassets said:
AllisonWilder said:

Wow Dude. Take your bitcoins to some dark part of the internet and use them to buy some weed because you need to chill. You do not have an audience here. Adapt or die.

Dark part of the internet? lol ...funny stuff there....

KayleePond said:
cryptoassets said:
AllisonWilder said:

You lied to us and were rude. Like really rude. And then you denied the fact that you lied AND have been completely oblivious to your poor manners as well. To be honest I don't know that I even have a problem with Bitcoin but I feel like at this point most of us who have been following this probably don't like YOU very much. You clearly just did not approach this community properly and I don't think anyone really wants to hear what you have to say. We have said many times that you should really just move on and stop trying to push this here in this community.

Maybe some folks here will be interested in Bitcoin at some point someday but I feel like it'll need to be presented by someone else, most likely someone that we know and trust who treats us with respect.

Lied to us? What are you talking about? Rude where? I did approach the community properly and told them about Bitcoin only to be accused of everything under the sun for no reason. Have you not been paying attention it isn't me that is disrespectful just read all the posts above toward me. Does everyone here live in a "bubble" ?

mutantdonut said:
Bongacams, Chaturbate hate spam, the "Don't Encourage Camwhores" post, and now the return of bitcoin dude. Strange how they all clustered out of the woodwork within a span of 10 days. The planets must be aligned. :think:

Its a full moon. Get outside sometime . :-D

You win the award for most annoying and oblivious person ever.

cryptoassets said:
Rose said:
You win the award for most annoying and oblivious person ever.

And I should care what you think how again?
Zzzzz......

Oh, my bad. I couldn't hear the sound of your wining over my snoring.

Reactions: dilligaf0
Status
Not open for further replies.