AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The difference between UK and USA

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I have 2 of them on my property here. sounds about right.
I can't imagine what I'd do in a situation like that. I'm looking for new property (as you know) but I'd love a spring or a creek or something on the land.

Err double post gahhh oops

I can't imagine what I'd do in a situation like that. I'm looking for new property (as you know) but I'd love a spring or a creek or something on the land.

Err double post gahhh oops
I wish ours were creeks or something enjoyable lol. they're not very big but get stinky at certain times of year when we're in between wet/dry season.

I think we're being watched :D

One that puzzles me:

UK/AUS/Others: "I couldn't care less"
vs
USA: "I could care less"

To me, the US version implies that you already care somewhat, since you could care less than that.
The Yanks just got it wrong. Just like "all intensive purposes" for "all intents and purposes". But hey, what do you expect from people who had a President that said "nucular." (Just ribbing you, my US friends). :D ❤️

Let’s do food UK/US:

Courgette | zucchini
Coriander | cilantro
Aubergine | eggplant
Candy floss | cotton candy
Broad bean | Lima bean

Okay… that wasn’t as exciting as I initially thought it would be…

The Yanks just got it wrong. Just like "all intensive purposes" for "all intents and purposes". But hey, what do you expect from people who had a President that said "nucular." (Just ribbing you, my US friends). :D ❤️
“All intensive purposes” is wrong here in the US too

Reactions: AmberCutie
I worked in England a number of years ago and one of my jobs was training new call center (centre) agents. I remember a class early in my time there where one of the female trainees got something wrong and yelled “I am such a twat!” You should have seen my face lol, that word would never be said in an American workplace, but then again it means something completely different.

Also:

Trainers - sneakers
Pull off - Jack off
Chips - French fries
crisps- chips
“Oh right” - “this muthafucka is crazy but I am not getting involved”

Reactions: MarieElise
Oh really, never “pull him off” for “gave him a handjob?”

Maybe that one was hazing the naive American haha
No to be fair maybe it's regional. There's like a hundred different ways to say "bread roll" depending on which city in the UK you're from so I wouldn't be surprised!

Reactions: MarieElise
One that puzzles me:

vs

To me, the US version implies that you already care somewhat, since you could care less than that.
God this one drives me insane!

Also as someone who speaks English as a second language and learned it from all kinds of sources, this thread explained a lot to me lol

One that puzzles me:

vs

God this one drives me insane!

Also as someone who speaks English as a second language and learned it from all kinds of sources, this thread explained a lot to me lol
To be fair, it isn't the US version, it's just that maybe more people in the US mess it up. It's supposed to be "couldn't care less" here too.

To be fair, it isn't the US version, it's just that maybe more people in the US mess it up. It's supposed to be "couldn't care less" here too.
Thanks, I had no idea. I've never heard an American say it the way I'm used to, and I lived in several states of the US over a few years. Good to know!

Reactions: AmberCutie
I'd like to do the opposite and ask you guys something. About pronouncing.

Some words I always read but I seldom hear, and when I do, there seem to be different versions.

Two that I can think of are: schedule and threshold.

There seems to be a difference between accents with these, but I don't know which is which?

Like "sked-jule" and "shed-jule" if that makes sense? About threshold honestly I can't remember what I heard but I'd love to know lol.

Reactions: Raven_Rogue

Some words I always read but I seldom hear, and when I do, there seem to be different versions.

There seems to be a difference between accents with these, but I don't know which is which?

Like "sked-jule" and "shed-jule" if that makes sense? About threshold honestly I can't remember what I heard but I'd love to know lol.
Born and raised southern England, before moving to Australia in my 20's. I learned those words as sh-edule rather than sked-ule, and thresh-hold rather than thresh-old.
But others will have differing experiences, so I guess simple answer is there's no right and wrong!

Born and raised southern England, before moving to Australia in my 20's. I learned those words as sh-edule rather than sked-ule, and thresh-hold rather than thresh-old.
But others will have differing experiences, so I guess simple answer is there's no right and wrong!
Except if you're American and say sh-edule, you're going to be ruled a mighty, mighty douchebag. :D

Edit: Yeah, it's considered exceptionally pretentious. "We divorced England for a reason!!!"

• Wat?!
Reactions: Lilly_____

Hey @Lilly_____ I think it all depends where in the uk you live. @rockin_rod said he was from the south which is a different accent to mine because i'm from the north.
I love different accents.It can be so funny to hear sometimes, but very interesting too.
The world would be so boring if we all talked the same

Except if you're American and say sh-edule, you're going to be ruled a mighty, mighty douchebag. :D

Edit: Yeah, it's considered exceptionally pretentious. "We divorced England for a reason!!!"
Having lived in the US, I'm really cool with however Americans view me and my pronunciation. I am what I am :rofl:

Taking the piss - Being sarcastic or mocking something/ someone/ or a situation tongue in cheek (I do it a lot).

I grew up in Canada, so these things were confusing enough to begin with because of our strong ties to and history with the UK but proximity to America. Watching a lot of British television on top of the local Canadian television and American television that might as well have been local didn't help. Moving to America halfway through my life certainly didn't help.

I honestly don't know which version of a thing I say out of many of the examples. I probably tend towards one in most cases, but when I see or hear them side by side I suddenly can't remember which one it is. A recent example is "hibiscus". I think it's a short i in America and a long one in the UK? I'm not really sure. I'm also no longer sure which one I used to say regularly, and every time I refer to my hibiscus plant lately I don't know what sounds to make come out of my mouth.

I no longer know what icing or frosting are. I'm fairly sure they used to be distinct things to me, but now I'm just confused. I recently harvested a ton of prickly pears, and I don't know if I'm trying to make them into jam or jelly. I also don't know which things are specifically Canadian until an American has no idea wtf I'm talking about, or another Canadian identifies me because I've just used a shibboleth.

Z is pronounced zed. I will never stop spelling colour with a u. I will never start spelling aluminum with an extra i. I can't remember how I spell pyjamas/pajamas. And I will never know how I'm meant to spell defense/defence or ever use the word "flatware". (Oh, I guess I also don't generally put periods or commas inside of quotation marks unless I'm quoting them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.