AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Video Editing Programs/Tutorials?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just shot a video for someone and I'm noticing - once again - that there's some background noise to be heard when I play it on my computer. Where does it come from and what can I do in the future so that doesn't happen anymore? :/
I'm using a Canon Rebel T3i / EOS 600D.

LilyMarie said:
I just shot a video for someone and I'm noticing - once again - that there's some background noise to be heard when I play it on my computer. Where does it come from and what can I do in the future so that doesn't happen anymore? :/
I'm using a Canon Rebel T3i / EOS 600D.

Background noise is always going to be an issue. Mostly it depends on the mic being used. A lot of microphones are omnidirectional, so they pick up pretty much anything going on. This goes for webcams, video cameras, or built in laptop/computer mics.

Without going out and spending a fortune on a professional microphone, and a stand for it, you're going to have that issue.

The best you can do is to try and make sure it's very quiet when you are recording. No air conditioner, TV, etc. There will still be some background noise, but it will be minimized. Hell, I've done audio recordings with other people and you could hear their laptop fans very loudly in their recordings.... so if you can put the cam away from your computer, too, that is also a help.

Some editing programs might have a noise reduction ability, but you will need to have a sample of the normal background noise for it to work with. However, it will affect the overall audio quality of the sound, too. So use caution if that is the case.

Reactions: LilyMarie
Thanks for your reply.
I made sure to turn off my TV, blu-ray/DVD player, my computer, my fan and my ceiling lamp, it was absolutely silent in my room when I started recording :( I suppose the noise must come from within the camera somehow.

LilyMarie said:
Thanks for your reply.
I made sure to turn off my TV, blu-ray/DVD player, my computer, my fan and my ceiling lamp, it was absolutely silent in my room when I started recording :( I suppose the noise must come from within the camera somehow.

I find it unlikely, but not impossible, that the background noise is coming from the camera itself. One would hope the camera manufacturer made the device quiet enough to prevent its own mic from picking it up. But there could be a defect, or something might be broken in some other way.

I would suggest doing some more test recordings, in different areas of your home. Just you sitting in front of the camera and saying a few things for maybe a minute or three each, and see if the background noise persists. Then you will have a much better idea as to whether it is the camera, itself, or if something was making some noise where you recorded before that the mic picked up on.

LilyMarie said:
Thanks for your reply.
on my logitech 920, i have found the 'smart sound' setting to be very useful for recording. it's the setting not advised to use on cam, because when you stop talking 100% of sound cuts out. but for vids it's great. have you messed around with internal audio settings?

Evvie said:
LilyMarie said:
Thanks for your reply.
on my logitech 920, i have found the 'smart sound' setting to be very useful for recording. it's the setting not advised to use on cam, because when you stop talking 100% of sound cuts out. but for vids it's great. have you messed around with internal audio settings?

If you are adding music later I could see that being useful, but if it is going to be shown as is wouldn't you still have the dead spots in sound? I just ask, because in privates I have had to ask for the model to turn up her music to cut down on the mic cutting out. Even then there are lulls in the music that can lessen the experience for me. Being able to hear the model is an important part of it for me.

Hey guys!

So my HD videos are HUUUUUUUGE and I feel like it is just getting unreasonable for my dear friends to have to deal with such nonsense. I have tried a few different pieces of software to compress them however I really have seen enough loss of quality that those programs didn't seem worth it. After compression, they looked about the same as my non-HD versions, so the point seemed to be lost.

What are the programs that you use that you find keep as much of the quality as possible? I am so grateful for any help that you can give me, thank you so much!

(Sorry for the thread rez, compression was mentioned in here so I thought perhaps it would be best to revive this rather than start a new one.)

Reactions: Kradek
I use Sony Vegas.
The Full HD video files that come straight from my Canon are about 400 MB per minute (.mov), and after rendering a Full HD video in Vegas, I always get about 100 MB per minute (.mp4). I think that's manageable for the majority of members. :think:

Reactions: KayleePond
There is a software called Handbrake that I think is fairly easy to use to re encode video: http://handbrake.fr/

Very quick tuto:

ChWfnMU.jpg
YqBOuMr.jpg
ICLoo9F.jpg
9Lj93bc.jpg

If you're using another software who ask for X MBPS, anything between 8 and 12 MBPS is fine.

KayleePond said:
Hey guys!

So my HD videos are HUUUUUUUGE and I feel like it is just getting unreasonable for my dear friends to have to deal with such nonsense. I have tried a few different pieces of software to compress them however I really have seen enough loss of quality that those programs didn't seem worth it. After compression, they looked about the same as my non-HD versions, so the point seemed to be lost.

What are the programs that you use that you find keep as much of the quality as possible? I am so grateful for any help that you can give me, thank you so much!

(Sorry for the thread rez, compression was mentioned in here so I thought perhaps it would be best to revive this rather than start a new one.)

What format are the original videos in?

What is the size of the original videos, both in file size and resolution?

What format were you exporting to, originally?

Question 2 is very important, especially the resolution. If you are doing 1920x1080 resolution (1080p), well, not much you can do about the file size, even if you convert them to .mp4 files. The files are going to be huge. When I record game videos at 1080p, I set myself up to record at about 8.5 GB/hour. Even editing that stuff down to a much smaller time frame (say 10 minutes), I can still have a file that is over 1 GB in size as a .mp4 file.

If you don't need to be full 1080p, then consider going to 720p (1280x720 resolution). It will cut the file size by over half (720p is only about 40% of the pixels of 1080p).

I'd keep using h.264 (I checked a few of yours and they were h.264) but you can probably use a somewhat more aggressive compression setting. But I'd prefer that you not drop the quality too much. :)

Handbrake is one of the better choices in video transcoders. It works well, it's reasonably easy to use, and it's free. :)

Always_Tim said:
I'd keep using h.264 (I checked a few of yours and they were h.264) but you can probably use a somewhat more aggressive compression setting. But I'd prefer that you not drop the quality too much. :)

Handbrake is one of the better choices in video transcoders. It works well, it's reasonably easy to use, and it's free. :)

Thank you SO much guys, you are amazing!

What I usually do is offer 2 downloads for each of my videos. Through Windows Movie Maker I save a copy "For Computer" which means it saves it 854 X 480 with about 42 MB per minute of video. I always prefer of course that everyone get the highest quality video possible, so I also save a copy "For HD Display" which is 1920 X 1080 which is estimated at 173 MB per minute of video.

I provide the download info for both videos so that people can choose the one that they want, but I suppose I have just been feeling like I wish I could just offer the higher quality one. Even the lower quality ones are quite large, since the original video is filmed with an HD camera.

I have Handbrake and have tried it, but when I compare the video after it ends up being about the same quality as the lower quality one so compressing it ends up a bit pointless.

I will try Sony Vegas and maybe experiment more with Handbrake too! And Tim, I'm glad you're happy with what I've been doing so far! I don't intend to drop my quality, I suppose I just thought it'd be nice to see if it was possible to make things a little easier on you guys because that file size can be kind of insane.

Thank you so much everyone, you're amazing. I will be happy to keep trying new things and will also always be open to more advice!

KayleePond said:
I will try Sony Vegas and maybe experiment more with Handbrake too! And Tim, I'm glad you're happy with what I've been doing so far! I don't intend to drop my quality, I suppose I just thought it'd be nice to see if it was possible to make things a little easier on you guys because that file size can be kind of insane.

I do enjoy my 800 Mbps download speeds at work. :)

Sorry if this thread is some days old. I just thought I could add some info to the general topic.

I did work long time making promo videos. Not something super professional, but still might be useful.

I second the suggested Sony Vegas software. And well, it was enough for me the platinum version. Which was kind of cheap. Affordable surely for all posters here (70 or 80 $). Yep, confirmed. It is called now Movie Studio Platinum. Is the same that I used to work with. And If remember well, updates were free. In my view, it's easier than Premiere (which I love), and for the purpose, way more than enough.

Yet though, for cutting frames, chunks, stripping a frame I didn't like, etc, I kind of preferred sometimes the free Virtualdub. Is free, you can find it at virtualdub.org.

For adding watermark logos, or slightly transparent overlaid sentences, did tend to prefer Sony Vegas. And also, this Sony vegas does allow to use multiple video tracks for overlays, mixings, etc. Which I do really need to have. I used to do lots of fades (to black, white or crossfades). And for this, Sony vegas is wonderful. And is really cheap. (I don't remember if was like 80 bucks)

Cutting and moving chunks with Sony Movie Studio Platinum can be done, too. It has certain trick, which I (or any other user) could explain if requested. For controlling frame per frame, I preferred Virtualdub, but is kind of harder interface than Sony's.

It's been a year since I don't edit anymore, but was part of my job for some years.

Both the format and the codec are important. But before getting to that, I would strongly recommend always to work in a lossless format. A format and "codec" that wont loose quality with every save or edit. Kind of the thing that happens if you save over and over a JPG. In video, a lot of "lossless" formats do cause some sort of loss, though. I used to use camstudio (an open source camcorder, records what happens on screen. often used to make tutorials.) native codec, as it sort of made me loose less quality, but it was not cam models or sex related videos. So might not be ideal for you.

Ideally, the best is to count on frames as individual graphics, like series of TGAs, or PNGs, etc. And that's your source. If your software allows to apply filters, overlays, etc, and save project, always working with the base source, your final video will loose less quality. Or if not, try to make it all in one session, one save.

Sony Movie Studio Platinum might be the best all-round route.

As I said, I used a combination. I firstly edited the frames in Virtualdub, then exported in a lossless format, or just the frames as in source, with some changes, I sometimes did by Photoshop individual frame edits, and even overlays using Virtualdub plugins. In some cases, I then exported to Sony Movie Studio, and continued editing there.

One very important thing is the concept of format and codec. You have these so called formats, like AVI, WMV, MOV, MP4. In trascoding, they are often called containers. And the codecs, is like how that video is compressed in that format. So, not all codec will make it in such a good quality/size ratio. For example, an avi can be saved used Intel Indeo codec, divx, xvid, or just some raw codec, and etc. And size and quality will be very different. But not every format can be used with any codec.

It's been a year or more, but in my experience, the best ratio I could get was using mp4 format, and the here mentioned H.264 codec. It does compress a lot, and with good quality. Still, I remember finding my self exporting also a WMV, as I knew it will always work in windows machines. Kindof a safe bet for Windows (generally). So I tended to provide both, a good quality, high resolution WMV (moviemaker is not your only choice here, Sony movie Studio Platinum does export a quite fine WMV ) but also the mp4 using a H.264 codec. It tended as well to be cutting the compression and uploading times when uploading to youtube, so that was a plus with this mp4 and h.264 codec thing.

I quite often used this converter, which was free, I hope still is, called Mediacoder ( www.mediacoderhq.com ) . I think handbrake is good too. I just loved to use several tools. For several reasons, each is best at certain specific front. I indeed used ffmpeg some times.

The way I see it, your best bet, in Windows, is this Sony tool, even if it costs some little bucks and is not free (and nope, am not related to them in anyway. I just loved their editor. )

About the audio noise... Sometimes I realized it all got solved reducing the mic recording volume. In some setting, it was too high. Then you can compensate that in many ways. And quality might end the same. Sometimes it was just the power supply from the computer!. In some occasions reduced the background noise using Audacity (free audio editor, http://audacity.sourceforge.net ). That is, using Sony Studio to later on replace the audio track with the externally edited one! And it worked every time. Mostly, those web videos were not supposed to be super high quality. Still, as they have told you, be very careful when doing noise reduction, as can lower overall quality. It depends a lot in the planned output, format, planned loss, etc. Is best if you can improve the recording conditions and hardware. Same with the footage you capture. Editing can't do miracles (at this level of things)

Oh, and VLC does play about every format out there. Still, I found some gamma problems with some MP4s, depending on the tool I had used for it.

If my memory is working well, Sony Movie Studio Platinum does allow you to export wmv, and quite decent mp4. Yep, I think I'm right. Still, I think I tended to use Mediacoder for some cases were really small size was expected. Using very trial and error guessed settings and codecs. Indeed, doing this way, you need to install H.264 codec by your own. While the Sony thing is kind of a more friendly manner to have it all in one software.

Still, once you get more into it, may these other tools come handy from time to time.

Indeed, another thing I used to do is produce FLV videos, using On2 codec. And heck, were those really small files... But that's another story. (as the whole company and technology was purchased by Google! Lol...So it HAD to be good...I still have the editor-compressor...)

I have been hearing nice things about this Freemake Video Converter. http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
But I can't recommend it yet, as I have not had the chance to try it in a project, as I am not doing video projects lately. You really might want to give it a try. It's free. :)

Edit: All 'Sony Vegas' mentions really meant Movie Studio Platium, at sonycreativesoftware.com

Argh. I promised myself not to get verbose again...

Status
Not open for further replies.