1. ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
    Dismiss Notice

We just brought our sweet, little pupper home!

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by TexMuscleJock, Sep 4, 2018.

1. TexMuscleJock

Cam Model

Ohhhh heck! He's just such a sweet boy that I had to share with my ACF fam! His name is Tamlin - he's a Finnish Lapphund, which is a very old and rare breed from...you guessed it! Finland. They're a Spitz breed (much like the infamous Shiba Inu) and were used by the indigenous peoples of Finland - the Sami - as Reindeer herding dogs.

My wife is a vet and one of her clients has two beautiful Lappies. They're a very mild-mannered, sweet, loving, and playful breed. We've wanted a dog for two years and were very discerning, finally settling on the Finnish Lapphund (they're great with kids, which are in the near future for us).

We are very grateful to have Tamlin in the family - again, the breed is rare and their organization has very stringent rules on breeding/genetics, so litters are hard to come by. We lucked out and there happened to be a litter that put us at bringing our baby boy home over this preceding weekend.

He's such a trooper: our breeder is in New York; fortunately, there was a big dog "conference" or something of the sort in Canada and another breeder was able to meet ours and bring Tamlin home with her to Memphis (much closer to HTX, cutting our drive in half). So, he spent two days in a car with some strange lady with other strange doggos, then two days in her strange house in Memphis with said strange doggos...THEN, two weirdo hoo-mans (my wife and I) came along, picked him up, and took him for another day-long car ride to another strange house (his forever home, over which he already has total dominion). He's been doing great through all of it and has acclimated so well. We're super proud of the little guy.

He's very loving, sweet, maybe a bit too smart (srs it scares me), and cuddly. Training is going very well with the exception of some mild separation anxiety, but I'm sure we will rectify that as he begins to realize that we are never, ever going to leave him behind.

Anyway, here he is!!

tl;dr We got a super sweet puppy and I can't not show him off to y'all!

DmGbg-OUwAAhkBD.jpg DmGbh-ZU4AAqYVx.jpg DmGbiy8UcAAxXPL.jpg
    IMG952018090195112735.jpg

• Like Like x 16
    • Inspiring Topic Inspiring Topic x 2
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  2. AudriTwo

Cam Model

Congrats on becoming dog parents to the goodest of dogs!

:)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Lelo1

ZOMG :h:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sophiestique

Cam Model

sooo cute :D:D:D had a pekingese since i was 9 for 18 years... and we loved it, we want to adopt now( in Romania sooo many puppies that are homeless) we will prolly do it in spring as i dont want a dog for inside anymore.... but i so love dogs , congrat for your puppy. if ur wife is a vet maybe we can get some advice:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luxy Reid

Cam Model

Adorbs! Don't forget to hold him while he's smol. I just went through old pics n vids and yeah.... they'll never be that size again :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bocefish

In the Dog House

Congrats!

Please keep us updated on his growth...

Awesome breed!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TexMuscleJock

Cam Model

Thanks, gang! I will gladly post updates! He's the sweetest thing EVER!!!!

Also, @Sophiestique - good for you for adopting/rescuing! And yes, if anyone ever needs pet advice, let me know and I'll have my wife chime in ;D

New pix soon!!

8. SaffronBurke

Cam Model

9. TexMuscleJock

Cam Model

Okay, back by popular demand!!!

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 2.25.55 AM.png
    Being a weirdo. Yes, this is how he sleeps.

41423913_1791263630972155_1269845443710287872_n.jpg
    "I just peed on the floor but you'll love me anyway" said every cute pupper ever.

41871773_1799424760156042_1293288801140998144_n.jpg
    The handsome boy goin' at it with his new salmon bully stick!

42683481_1812495015515683_3362944880073506816_n.jpg
    At his first puppy socialization/training class with Mama and Papa.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 2.25.26 AM.png
    He loves eating our antique carpets. Delicious (NOT) treats!

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 2.25.40 AM.png

With my niece. Look at that silly face! That's our little bear!

#9 TexMuscleJock, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. TexMuscleJock

Cam Model

Here's our pupdate:

He's doing SO well with the training program my wife wrote for him and we're VERY proud of him. He's definitely a clever, curious puppy. He hates peanut butter but LOVES frozen green beans and carrots (like, srs? what dog does this?!). He's a pokey little bear and prances around like a show dog.

We've learned sit, down, stay, and we're working on ringing the bell by the door with his paw whenever he needs to go potty. He knows how to ring the bell, but we're working on the "the bell = go outside to potty" part. We'll get there!

He's also had a BLAST with socialization outings! Puppy socialization is CRUCIAL between weeks 8 to 12 and can determine the disposition of your dog for the rest of its life. You want to expose them to as many new, different (but SAFE!!) things as possible during this time, including hundreds of people and other dogs.

Every week, we do something new: the farmer's market (crowds, people handling him, children, loud noises), the arboretum (different plants, substrates, weird sounds from birds and frogs), meeting the disabled (wheelchairs, crutches, elderly folks - these things all look alarming and new to dogs), etc. We always give nice people treats to give to him so he knows that people = good!

He's grown to a whopping 15lbs (from 10.2 when we got him). His personality has certainly come out - he's playful, kind, silly, a bit of a weirdo, smart, and greedy as can be! He loves cuddles and play biting (if anyone needs advice about puppy biting, let me know!!) and he sleeps on his back with all four paws in the air. Haha, I feel like I'm writing an ad now, so this should suffice!

Thanks ACF!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bocefish

In the Dog House

Thanks for the update. Sounds like he's doing great and in good hands. Like you guys... can't stress enough the socialization puppies need at that age for a well-adjusted dog.

• Agree Agree x 1