AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Mistaking camsites for dating sites?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought about that! But the more I'm thinking about it now, I can definitely see how it could throw people off to see or hear it used a lot when it's from non-southern people or when they're not used to hearing it. I'm trying to think of someone saying y'all without having a southern accent or drawl, and it'd probably sound a little weird. My family is Cajun French and a lot of the people I grew up around or spent time with when I was younger were also Cajun, so I can only really think of people saying it with that very particular accent. I also have that accent, and apparently sound like a crawfish when I talk hahaha.

All that to say, it's crazy how language is and how certain words can be construed differently just by who is saying them.
Kelly Ripa says y'all constantly. She's from New Jersey. I am also Southern and never, ever say it. I usually say you guys, but now even that is problematic.

Reactions: inertvolcano
Kelly Ripa says y'all constantly. She's from New Jersey. I am also Southern and never, ever say it. I usually say you guys, but now even that is problematic.
"Hey guys" was my favorite greeting, but I'm trying to be sensitive so I switched to "hey folks."

There was this push among some acquaintances of mine to say "y'all" instead of "you guys" for gender sensitivity reasons, but I refuse to do it. It feels like I'm doing a bad impression of someone from the south. So they get "folk"ed instead.

"Hey guys" was my favorite greeting, but I'm trying to be sensitive so I switched to "hey folks."

There was this push among some acquaintances of mine to say "y'all" instead of "you guys" for gender sensitivity reasons, but I refuse to do it. It feels like I'm doing a bad impression of someone from the south. So they get "folk"ed instead.
It's a hard habit to break, but I'm trying! Most of my teachers in school were from the midwest so there are a lot of Southern slang terms that were proverbially beaten out of me with harsh grading.

Ah... so this is the reason behind it. Never even dawned on me. Everything becomes clear now. Thanks :)

ETA; People aren't trying to do some shitty, half assed Southern LARP thing, they just don't want to possibly be misconstrued as sexist by saying "You Guys". Lol I'm a dipshit, I thought it was the new cool thing to LARP being from the South :rofl: Hahahahahaha. At least I can laugh at myself.

Ah... so this is the reason behind it. Never even dawned on me. Everything becomes clear now. Thanks :)

ETA; People aren't trying to do some shitty, half assed Southern LARP thing, they just don't want to possibly be misconstrued as sexist by saying "You Guys". Lol I'm a dipshit, I thought it was the new cool thing to LARP being from the South :rofl: Hahahahahaha. At least I can laugh at myself.
If someone says "all y'all," they clownin'.

You're not a dipshit. I guarantee a lot of people are doing exactly what you thought they were doing. Just not all of them. 😆

• Funny!
Reactions: MarieElise
Can someone explain, I'm British - English.

In the southern states of the US (I'm an expat kiwi/nz who moved to the deep south US 10 years ago) ya'll is a very common way to say "you all" "you guys" etc or "you" as the plural form. "all ya'll" is another way of saying "All of you guys" but because the literal translation is "all of you all" it sounds a lil.. hick.

"fixin'" means "I'm going to/about to"

"I'm fixin to get mad"
"I'm fixin to grill some burgers, do you want some?"

A lot of this language is seen as totally normal most places in the south but a lil 'rough' or uneducated in other places.

I remember a fight with a boyfriend who was living in California because he said I was being 'disrespectful' by using "ya'll" at dinner with someone. He texted me to "watch my language" ... lol. What an absolute twat he was.. jesus

I remember a fight with a boyfriend who was living in California because he said I was being 'disrespectful' by using "ya'll" at dinner with someone. He texted me to "watch my language" ... lol. What an absolute twat he was.. jesus
Wow. You'd think Jesus would have been more forgiving as a boyfriend.

• Funny!
Reactions: Miss_Lollipop

Yeah, that's crazy. Your ex needs to get a grip because it's not even that serious. Lol.

I was born in Pennsylvania...lived in Long Island, New York for two years...and I (and my family members) have been saying "y'all" waaay before I even moved down to Maryland. A lot of Black people (from the north, south, east, and west) say "y'all." I say "you all" in situations where I feel I should be proper...such as job interviews, meeting a boyfriend's mother for the first time, a video interview for a news story, etc. It just depends on the situation. The family members of mine who do sound country when they say "y'all" are the ones who are originally from North Carolina. I watched an old childhood video of myself (from when I'd stayed in NC for two weeks), and I was horrified to hear myself saying to someone "I wanna waaatch the taaape! Can we see the taaape?" 😂😂😂 I'm like omg, why the fuck do I sound like Gomer Pyle?!

Movie Reaction GIF

I usually don't sound like that all. These days my New York accent (from when I lived there in 2001 - 2003) slips back into the conversation when I say things with the "or" sound (fourteen...forty-four...), etc. And I'm very cool with that because I love New York and New York accents!

I didn't know that people could be that prejudiced against southern accents until I learned that folks from the south who come north to look for jobs will train themselves out of their accents, because it can cost them job opportunities or promotions. The craziest story I ever heard was when I had a coworker in NYC dumped her boyfriend because she found out he had a southern accent. They met at a bar in NYC and he had trained himself out of his accent. She knew he was from the south but didn't think anything of it, but then they went to visit his family for the holidays and when he was with them he talked with this natural accent. It made her so upset she dumped him and bought a bus ticket out of there. One of the craziest things I've ever heard.

In the southern states of the US (I'm an expat kiwi/nz who moved to the deep south US 10 years ago) ya'll is a very common way to say "you all" "you guys" etc or "you" as the plural form. "all ya'll" is another way of saying "All of you guys" but because the literal translation is "all of you all" it sounds a lil.. hick.

"fixin'" means "I'm going to/about to"

"I'm fixin to get mad"
"I'm fixin to grill some burgers, do you want some?"

A lot of this language is seen as totally normal most places in the south but a lil 'rough' or uneducated in other places.

Thank you I felt a little left out, up to speed now.

Reactions: Miss_Lollipop
I didn't know that people could be that prejudiced against southern accents until I learned that folks from the south who come north to look for jobs will train themselves out of their accents, because it can cost them job opportunities or promotions. The craziest story I ever heard was when I had a coworker in NYC dumped her boyfriend because she found out he had a southern accent. They met at a bar in NYC and he had trained himself out of his accent. She knew he was from the south but didn't think anything of it, but then they went to visit his family for the holidays and when he was with them he talked with this natural accent. It made her so upset she dumped him and bought a bus ticket out of there. One of the craziest things I've ever heard.

Oh, shit! That is pretty extreme. Hopefully that guy finds someone who will love him for him, unless he prefers to stay single...which is cool too. :)

It had never even dawned on me that a person's accent could cost them a job promotion either...until I saw that episode of The King of Queens where Spence is helping Carrie lose her accent (I have to admit that episode is HILARIOUS though).

I speak with a decidedly Midwest Newsanchor accent. You would never know I was cursed with being born in the South. People are constantly amazed when they find out I'm a native.

"You don't sound Southern."
"Thank you, I worked very hard to achieve that."

Then they look at me like I'm insane. I refused to let my accent stop me from being seen as intelligent and independent.

I absolutely love southern accents 💛 I didn’t realize some people think they are rough or whatever. Hardly any people from the south seem to move up here. I’m always so excited when someone from the south moves up and they have a southern accent. I used to work with a girl from Georgia and her accent was so cool. That’s a shame some people feel that way about it. Because it’s so soft and soothing.

That’s probably why I noticed the y’all thing. When I hear it I get all excited like; oh my gosh I’m gonna hear a southern accent …so cool! Then I end up feeling disappointed, because it does not end up being someone from the South. I guess it’s just a phrase/word people use a lot.

Last edited:

It really does suck how some people can hear a southern accent and make assumptions about their intelligence or personality.

The only time I’ve ever truly experienced this was with some of my mother’s side of the family. My grandfather (not biological grandfather, but my grandmother married him before I was born and I never met my mother’s biological father) was really bad about that. He made it very clear that he looked down on my father and even me, because we’re southern. He’s from an Italian immigrant family and raised in New York, and for some reason just hated the south. Even my grandmother had a little bit of prejudice against the south.

Thankfully, the majority of people I’ve met either when traveling or when I would bartend and have customers who were visiting my area for the first time would find my accent charming. I’d even have people commenting on it in a positive way when I was still live camming.

Another thing about southern accents, there’s so many different regional accents you can have. A Mississippi accent is different from a Georgie accent, and so on. Even in Louisiana, there’s so many different types of accents just from city to city. I was at a bar not that long ago and was talking to someone there and he was actually able to tell exactly where I grew up based just off my accent, haha.

I speak with a decidedly Midwest Newsanchor accent. You would never know I was cursed with being born in the South. People are constantly amazed when they find out I'm a native.

"You don't sound Southern."
"Thank you, I worked very hard to achieve that."

Then they look at me like I'm insane. I refused to let my accent stop me from being seen as intelligent and independent.

Speaking of news anchors, the bias against southern accents is also why you don’t see a lot of TV hosts (news, talk shows, etc) speaking that way. At least not on shows that air outside of those regions.

Learning “non-regional diction” has always been a big thing for people hoping to excel in that line of work. Non-regional still ends up sounding like Middle America though, so it’s not really non-regional. It’s more anti-southern (and, to be fair, things like thick Boston or NY accents are also trained out of them).

Speaking of news anchors, the bias against southern accents is also why you don’t see a lot of TV hosts (news, talk shows, etc) speaking that way. At least not on shows that air outside of those regions.

Learning “non-regional diction” has always been a big thing for people hoping to excel in that line of work. Non-regional still ends up sounding like Middle America though, so it’s not really non-regional. It’s more anti-southern (and, to be fair, things like thick Boston or NY accents are also trained out of them).
Exactly. It's funny because I was thinking that there are not very many New York/upper East coast broadcasters on Chaturbate. I mean I haven't seen every room but yeah...there's a decidedly "cam baby" speak thing that happens on CB. One model clicks her tongue after everything she says and it drives me insane in a very bad way. "hi thank you" *tongue hits teeth and sucks* I mean I know ASMR is a thing but as someone with misphonia she just makes me want to throw my computer against the wall.

Mister Saturday Night...Special

You got a barrel that's blue and cold.

You ain't good for nothin'

But put a man 6 feet in a hole!

Hi everyone, new member here, really enjoying the community.

I have asked a few models what is the most common request by guys, expecting to hear about cum shows, feet, or whatever. Surprisingly though I was told they often dive straight in and ask if they want to get married.

I don't know if it's just a misguided idea of what a camgirl wants to hear, but I've read enough lovecon posts here (back tattoo anyone?) to know that some guys characters and mental health make them susceptible to treating camsites as dating sites.

Is it really that common for guys visit camsites in the hope of starting a relationship?
I’m about a Month or so in and my experience has been yes. I have gotten a lot of guys acting like we are on a dating platform after a couple sentence exchange of words. Even after stating the site does not allow me to interact with them off platform. The next message is “here’s my Insta, Snapchat, and phone number just in case you change your mind.” Like broh, dont give your phone number to strangers on the internet. Lol

One day you will realize that none of them are actually being serious.
One day you'll realize that you're not on this side of the tip notes, the private messages, the begging, the negging, the surreptitious notion that we are their internet girlfriends that should eventually become their wives. I can kindly provide you about 10,000 messages over the last few years that reflect everything I just said.

One day you'll realize that you're not on this side of the tip notes, the private messages, the begging, the negging, the surreptitious notion that we are their internet girlfriends that should eventually become their wives. I can kindly provide you about 10,000 messages over the last few years that reflect everything I just said.
Hey Lil, you doing any better? :h: You've been on my mind a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.