AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

If you make a custom video for a member, is it rude to sell afterwards?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Twitter Username
@LillyCherub
MFC Username
LillyCherub
I’ve been around MFC for a little more than a year, but only seriously getting into it as a full time career recently..
What is the etiquette for custom videos? If no names were included in the video’s script, is it rude to sell it on MFC Share after the member has received it? I currently have it on password only so only he can view it, but wondering if I should try to not waste an opportunity at more income.
Thoughts?

NO. Unless they are paying for you NOT to put it on any clip site it's YOUR content. I release everything (names, whatever) unless they pay me $400 (plus my custom fee) not to.. You have to remember you don't sell it you don't make money ; You sell it and guess what it makes you money so unless they are paying me not to sell it they have 0 rights to your content.

Yep. I charge extra for anything that lessens the likelihood of resale, and LOTS extra for exclusivity. If they want you to give up the extra income that you would make from reselling it, they need to cover that loss up-front.

I am not a model, but I have bought customs before. And I always operated under the assumption that my custom would be released to the public for sale eventually.

What the ladies stated above is true, unless you agreed to an “exclusive” custom video, and compensated the model for this accordingly, then there should be no expectation that the custom video would be available to just one person.

Reactions: caireen
I am only a member and not a model and have never paid for a custom but I have a question regarding this..

When you put the custom video/content up for resale for others, do you have some kind of courtesy period in which you will leave it for XX days, or weeks? Or is it quite literally as soon as you can (have the time, are online etc) you make it public?

When you put the custom video/content up for resale for others, do you have some kind of courtesy period in which you will leave it for XX days, or weeks? Or is it quite literally as soon as you can (have the time, are online etc) you make it public?
No. Why? Once it is sent, I'm putting it up. I don't really see what difference it makes aside from potentially missing out on sales. Never had a member question it, and never considered it before now.

Some of my best selling videos have been customs I did for people. I think it just being different than most stuff I did before opened me up to all new people. I also charge 400$ for exclusivity and anything that makes it harder to resell like names etc. I edit out names if I can and then resell. Unless it was pre discussed before hand that you wouldnt resell it I would definitely go ahead and sell it!!

Just a member, but wanted to add an additional perspective.

I'm not opposed to custom videos, as I've had a couple made for me over the years. But, where I see it can get sticky (no pun intended), is if specific directions and what could potentially be seen as a script written by the purchaser. There may also be an implied feeling of "exclusivity" if the model uses the member name (especially the screen name), and it's not discussed or requested beforehand. Then it may fall into the "she/he made it specifically for me" mindset.

The two custom videos I have, when I discussed them with the models, it was very generic things of what I liked to see. But, I also let her know that she had every right to do what she thought I might like better. No mention of names (I actually prefer that no names mentioned), or any kind of specific details on me, as if she can resell it I think it'd be better generic than a person. Though, some people might get off on seeing what may be perceived as an "exclusive" video for someone else. The most recent one, the model used my name in it so many times, I felt kinda weird about it.

Again, I'm certainly not opposed to models reselling customs. Since, like @a_haze420 mentioned, it could be some untapped potential of extremely hot videos that could sell very well and may not have thought about it. Though, one thought might be that instead of immediately releasing it to the masses, the person who commissioned the custom have the ability to view it before others for a couple of days or a week. At least then it's kind of a "special preview" type thing. Gives the model time to hype up the new video as well as a pre-order type situation. I'd think a more than a few people would be bummed to find out a video they commissioned, which most likely may not have come about without them, was seen by others before they got a chance to see it. Especially if it is sold at a price lower than they paid for the commission of it.

Reactions: Useful-Title
I am only a member and not a model and have never paid for a custom but I have a question regarding this..

I usually wait at least a week before reposting. Some have been months or even years after being shot. I’m only able to do that bc I’ve got a huge back log of videos that’s ive shot and never released. Sometimes I even get hit up by regulars that have all my released content and will pay extra for stuff that I’ve shot but not released.

To add I also usually end up waiting a few days to a week to upload but only because I am horrible at staying on task and my life loves to get in the way of work lol.

Reactions: SaffronBurke

I put it up once I send it and feel like it needs to go up.. It's my content and I have the right to distribute it so why does it matter? If your paying for exclusive content then I don't put it up so if thats what you want I would pay the model to not put it up because as you can see we all charge a fee to not sell video's. I think thats what is important here because as a member yes you may NOT want your name plastered all over manyvids OR clips4sale but then guess what? Pay for us not to resell it; it's really that easy.

I put it up once I send it and feel like it needs to go up.. It's my content and I have the right to distribute it so why does it matter? If your paying for exclusive content then I don't put it up so if thats what you want I would pay the model to not put it up because as you can see we all charge a fee to not sell video's. I think thats what is important here because as a member yes you may NOT want your name plastered all over manyvids OR clips4sale but then guess what? Pay for us not to resell it; it's really that easy.

To play devil's advocate, are your rules for custom videos clearly stated, and agreed upon by you and the person commissioning the video? Or, do you not have that on your site(s), and/or leave it out of the discussions?

Reason why I'm asking is that there may be a part of the equation not being looked at: Potential lost customers and revenue. By this, I'm referring to if your terms aren't clearly stated and agreed upon by both parties, then you get into the situation I mentioned before where it may be implied it was exclusive. If there's a feeling of mistrust by the customer, they may decide that it's no longer worth doing business with you and could take their business elsewhere. More so, if someone who hasn't done custom video business with you before either hears about a perceived mistrust issue or doesn't like the fact that it's not an exclusive video, they may take their business elsewhere. Which, they're free to do.

Granted, we're talking potentially one or two customers out of potentially however many and may be just a small amount of revenue in the grand scheme of things. But, when dealing with customers, sometimes it's the perception that's more critical than the up front dollars.

To play devil's advocate, are your rules for custom videos clearly stated, and agreed upon by you and the person commissioning the video? Or, do you not have that on your site(s), and/or leave it out of the discussions?

Reason why I'm asking is that there may be a part of the equation not being looked at: Potential lost customers and revenue. By this, I'm referring to if your terms aren't clearly stated and agreed upon by both parties, then you get into the situation I mentioned before where it may be implied it was exclusive. If there's a feeling of mistrust by the customer, they may decide that it's no longer worth doing business with you and could take their business elsewhere. More so, if someone who hasn't done custom video business with you before either hears about a perceived mistrust issue or doesn't like the fact that it's not an exclusive video, they may take their business elsewhere. Which, they're free to do.

Granted, we're talking potentially one or two customers out of potentially however many and may be just a small amount of revenue in the grand scheme of things. But, when dealing with customers, sometimes it's the perception that's more critical than the up front dollars.

When someone contacts me I am VERY specific ; I tell them if they want there name used its: $100 ; if they want it NOT sold they need to pay me $400 plus my custom price and if theres scripts, props, or extra actors/actress it's extra and I lay out ALL the prices and information. There is no confusing with me because it's all crystal clear. I have definetely had guys be super rude/not willing to pay but what a LOT of people don't understand is a custom clip can take me a WEEK to make.. This means me filming it (which takes hours) - and then before that (getting ready, etc). On top of that once it's done then it's editing, rendering, and everything else to make sure it's perfect. This all takes time and a lot of it. My last custom took 22 hours to edit - IMAGINE working 22 hours at your job and how much money you would make? the thing is I'm only getting paid $10 per minute for probably just a 10 minute minimum to do all this work so of course we should sell our customs. Then it's up to you as a customer to understand if it's worth it. I mean I have over 2900 clips on my clips4sale store if theres something somebody can't find then they should probably be prepared to pay.

Reactions: KylieJacobs
I think it’s worth clarifying beforehand and, like has been suggested by others on this thread, charging more if it’s exclusive. But I think that should be crystal clear so nobody feels slighted.

The standard procedure for me is to give alllllllll of the pricing options up-front when someone contacts me inquiring about a custom. I don't want to have a back-and-forth conversation that is longer than necessary. I lay it all out from the very beginning, and that seems to be what others do as well. I don't think anyone is trying to maliciously pull a fast one on their custom buyers. Most sites where you can order a custom through a form have the options clearly displayed for additional charges. It's all very cut and dry.

When someone contacts me I am VERY specific ; I tell them if they want there name used its: $100 ; if they want it NOT sold they need to pay me $400 plus my custom price and if theres scripts, props, or extra actors/actress it's extra and I lay out ALL the prices and information. There is no confusing with me because it's all crystal clear. I have definetely had guys be super rude/not willing to pay but what a LOT of people don't understand is a custom clip can take me a WEEK to make.. This means me filming it (which takes hours) - and then before that (getting ready, etc). On top of that once it's done then it's editing, rendering, and everything else to make sure it's perfect. This all takes time and a lot of it. My last custom took 22 hours to edit - IMAGINE working 22 hours at your job and how much money you would make? the thing is I'm only getting paid $10 per minute for probably just a 10 minute minimum to do all this work so of course we should sell our customs. Then it's up to you as a customer to understand if it's worth it. I mean I have over 2900 clips on my clips4sale store if theres something somebody can't find then they should probably be prepared to pay.

Thanks, I was hoping you would say something along the lines of what you did. I've no doubt that some customs can be very time consuming. But, I'm also familiar with some quickies that are along the lines of "film it and go" raw footage so to speak. Not trying to dispute the time invested in making some videos because I've seen some amazing works by various models. Just know that some are very quick to make so it kind of averages out in some ways. Sort of like when I was an auto mechanic, we'd get paid based upon "flat rate" of how many hours a particular job took to complete. Sometimes, it'd go really easy and we'd do it in 3/4 the time it said. Other times, because shits rusty, stripped bolts, etc it'd take 1.5 to 2 times what it said and we'd still only get paid flat rate.

Being that you charge to have their name included, then that helps take some of the potential exclusiveness out of it.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Thanks, I was hoping you would say something along the lines of what you did. I've no doubt that some customs can be very time consuming. But, I'm also familiar with some quickies that are along the lines of "film it and go" raw footage so to speak. Not trying to dispute the time invested in making some videos because I've seen some amazing works by various models. Just know that some are very quick to make so it kind of averages out in some ways. Sort of like when I was an auto mechanic, we'd get paid based upon "flat rate" of how many hours a particular job took to complete. Sometimes, it'd go really easy and we'd do it in 3/4 the time it said. Other times, because shits rusty, stripped bolts, etc it'd take 1.5 to 2 times what it said and we'd still only get paid flat rate.

Being that you charge to have their name included, then that helps take some of the potential exclusiveness out of it.

Thanks for your reply. :)

For a clip maker we do NOT just "film it and go" though you have to remember there is something WAY different than me and a model on MFC. I make my living on clips4sale and IWC. I would NEVER post a clip like your stating for sale on a clip site because it has my name attached to it and my mortgage payment too. I understand this is a cam discussion but even cam models it does take hours to film/edit/etc and your only getting paid $100; so when you add in the names, scripts, props, and exclusive it does add up and it deff should!!- even with basic editing/getting ready/etc it still takes me DAYS to edit/film/etc. And no problem it's awesome we can have cam models and clip makers here so we can all give our views :)

The standard procedure for me is to give alllllllll of the pricing options up-front when someone contacts me inquiring about a custom. I don't want to have a back-and-forth conversation that is longer than necessary. I lay it all out from the very beginning, and that seems to be what others do as well. I don't think anyone is trying to maliciously pull a fast one on their custom buyers. Most sites where you can order a custom through a form have the options clearly displayed for additional charges. It's all very cut and dry.

I think there might be a bit of difference for you, @BiancaBaker and some others as compared to the OP. The OP I think is exclusively on MFC, which doesn't have a good way of requesting custom videos and is where there might be means of confusion on the commissioning of said work. Thus why I was inquiring.

For example, my last custom was requested more or less via PM with the model. I tipped her, and she PM'd me with a string of about 5 questions. Not even MFC share has the ability to do an order form I believe. So, it'd be good for her to either have a standard form that she can copy/paste into an email to the member requesting or discuss via PM with the same info.

Reactions: Gen
I think there might be a bit of difference for you, @BiancaBaker and some others as compared to the OP. The OP I think is exclusively on MFC, which doesn't have a good way of requesting custom videos and is where there might be means of confusion on the commissioning of said work. Thus why I was inquiring.

For example, my last custom was requested more or less via PM with the model. I tipped her, and she PM'd me with a string of about 5 questions. Not even MFC share has the ability to do an order form I believe. So, it'd be good for her to either have a standard form that she can copy/paste into an email to the member requesting or discuss via PM with the same info.

Clips4sale has THE worst way to contact me about customs because there ARE NONE. I can post my website and there is all the info but so can't a MFC model!

Clips4sale has THE worst way to contact me about customs because there ARE NONE. I can post my website and there is all the info but so can't a MFC model!

Thanks. I've never looked at C4S, so was thinking there might have been an order form or something being that's their primary business. Guess not..

Reactions: BiancaBaker
https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/threads/re-sell-of-custom-videos-by-model.24784/
The replies above are pretty in depth, and here's another thread about it that I refer to sometimes.

Unless someone pays my exclusivity fee, it will be resold, names or not. I make sure the customer knows all of this before ordering. I typically give them a few days to enjoy their video before uploading it to a site of choice for others to purchase.

Reactions: Gen and BiancaBaker
The way I see it... someone buying a custom clip is paying NOT for exclusivity, but to have me film their exact fantasy when I would otherwise never have created that content. And really, they're getting a pretty good deal even if it's not exclusive, since I charge roughly the same amount per minute for a custom clip as I charge per minute of exclusive cam time.

I'm not sure I'd be able to find the thread, but a related topic came up awhile back made me think. I absolutely resell custom videos, because that's MY content unless I'm paid for rights. But someone mentioned being upset that their email/script was cut and pasted as the video description when their requested clip went public, and I think that's a fair objection. I've done it before, it's pretty common, and I've never had anyone complain to me personally--but in the future I'd rewrite the description in my own words. My video content is mine, but I do want people to have some expectation of privacy when communicating with me.

Since I'm primarily a clip maker I wanted to put it more into perspective - My best selling clip has sold 52 times it's priced at 15.99 ish ; now if you do the math you can calculate how much I have made on this. Now the kicker is I made this clip 1.5 weeks ago THIS is my point... This clip is going to KEEP selling for my lifetime career (I had a badass idea and found a super sexy dude to film it with and the clip ended up being my best selling clip of my 7 year career) now I know it was my idea and not a custom but lets say it was a custom.. IMAGINE how much money I would be loosing if I did NOT post this thing. Everyone is going to have a price that they chose for exclusive content. @AudriTwo picked $200 for a reason and that's awesome and I think it's important to understand that everyone is probably going to have a different number. Now Audri cams primarily on Streammate I do not believe she makes clips like on c4s or iwc and if she has a store I know her primary thing is camming. This is what is so beautiful about this industry we get to choose OUR prices. If she wanted to charge 1k-1500 for exclusive content (Like a fellow clip maker does) s e could this is the beauty.. Now will someone pay it? Yes probably but it's going to be someone who wants it. I had a guy purchasing 1k customs once a month (they were super detailed/intense) so the thing is someone WILL pay what you want and to never devalue yourself. Whether you want to charge $200 extra, $400 extra or even 1k extra it's up to you and if you feel like your price is reasonable and your happy with it then that's all that matters. I am happy charging $400 fee plus my custom price and if someone doesn't want to pay it then they do not have to order a custom from me. I shoot with a 2k light kit ; a $1600 camera and my stuff looks just as good as professional grade stuff. It's not like I'm filming this with no light and a shitty camera; I put a LOT of work/love and passion into these video's.

I edit out names if I can

I've never edited names out cause I'm lazy, but "Shoe Tease for Steve" and "Panty Tease for Charlie" always re-sell. The title and description make it clear that I'm using a name, but so far my name-using customs have been generic enough names that it doesn't seem to bother anyone.

I've never edited names out cause I'm lazy, but "Shoe Tease for Steve" and "Panty Tease for Charlie" always re-sell. The title and description make it clear that I'm using a name, but so far my name-using customs have been generic enough names that it doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Maybe I won't even do it next time lol

Nope, I always put my customs up for sale. I may edit out the names if its personal, but I always do.

I've sold every custom video I ever made. In my opinion, it's a "custom" video not an "exclusive" video. I retain all the rights to publish the content. So far, I haven't had one complaint about that.

- Ivy Bleu
http://ivybleu.com

I am crystal clear with people and tell them if they want it to be exclusive, they have to pay extra for that right since I'm really losing money in the long run if they don't pay that extra amount. I rarely have people actually pay for that since most people don't really seem to care. A custom is payment for a fantasy I wouldn't have made. An EXCLUSIVE custom is payment for that fantasy with the added bonus of being the only one who will ever lay eyes on it.

As for the name thing: I sell both. I sell one with the name still in it and one without. And people often buy the ones with the names still in them (most of my customs have been for a dude named Brad and apparently that's a popular name because the one with that dude's name in it often sells as well as the one without it).

I agree it'd be a little messed up to not discuss that with someone beforehand, but at the same time, if that's something they want I feel like it's on them to say that. It's my content and I don't know why anyone would assume I wouldn't resell it if they didn't specifically ask me not to do so.

And when I upload customs to Manyvids, I upload them to everyone and send it to the person at the exact same time. I don't see the point of waiting? It's gonna go up regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.