AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Research Project

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jupiter551 said:
I was hoping you wouldn't return til Amber cleaned the thread lol
I think camprojects being able to see a 'troll in action' could be useful for their research. It is part of the experience of being a camgirl after all. It's something most girls deal with multiple times a day, even on days off.

With that said, I think the way you outlined what you plan to do looks fantastic and I wouldn't mind participating if need be.

How do you plan to do the interview though: over skype, a series of questions through some form of private email?

VeronicaChaos said:
Maybe I'm just a goddamn optimist, ( ;) ) but I actually think that this thread could be useful to the OP. It gives them a sense of what we all have to deal with everyday. Personally, I think, it keeps it real. We do get lots of trolls. It's almost hard to talk about our job without mentioning them. At least now we have a point of reference.

I think you raise an excellent point. I assume the researcher is going to spend time watching cam girls actually cam and so she will have a real reference point. I haven't read all of the troll's posts, but he is at least representative of the garden variety troll/asshole. While they are uncommon on ACF they are very common on all other sites.

Reactions: Rose
HiGirlsRHot said:
VeronicaChaos said:
Maybe I'm just a goddamn optimist, ( ;) ) but I actually think that this thread could be useful to the OP. It gives them a sense of what we all have to deal with everyday. Personally, I think, it keeps it real. We do get lots of trolls. It's almost hard to talk about our job without mentioning them. At least now we have a point of reference.

I think you raise an excellent point. I assume the researcher is going to spend time watching cam girls actually cam and so she will have a real reference point. I haven't read all of the troll's posts, but he is at least representative of the garden variety troll/asshole. While they are uncommon on ACF they are very common on all other sites.

I do find this extremely useful, and at some points, hilarious! It's great to see a community of women sticking together to put haters and trolls in their place...especially with humor.

HiGirlsRHot - I have been spending time on cam sites for the past few months, and am getting a late start on one-on-one interviews

blackxrose - I am sending PM's to the models who are interested with Statement of Rights and Release forms. We can interview through messaging if that is most comfortable, or through a chat client, Skype, etc.

CallMeWilliam - Again, COMPLETE anonymity is ensured for participants. Usernames will be changed if individuals are referenced, and no one will be in danger of their identities being discovered through this project. The more I know about what it's like to be a model, the more interesting and in-depth this will become, but never at risk for the people involved :)

(One more thing - my proposal says United States but will be edited, as I don't want to limit the people I can talk to who are from various parts of the world)

Evvie said:
Jupiter, I had no idea you and Nordling were together.

Mmmmm, I wanna get in on that.

izTuuMMRjga2g.gif

LilyMarie said:
I'm really just feeling sorry for the OP who seemed nice and respectful and serious about her project.
I hope she doesn't think this is what a typical ACF thread looks like.

I volunteer by the way, feel free to send me a pm!

I disagree, somewhat. While this is not a typical ACF thread, it is far from unique.

Reactions: LadyLuna
RogueWarrior said:
LilyMarie said:
I'm really just feeling sorry for the OP who seemed nice and respectful and serious about her project.
I hope she doesn't think this is what a typical ACF thread looks like.

I volunteer by the way, feel free to send me a pm!

I disagree, somewhat. While this is not a typical ACF thread, it is far from unique.
It is a very good example though of what can happen when a troll gets a really big bug up his ass. If OP can imagine all the negative comments directed specifically at one camgirl, it gives a pretty decent image of what can happen when a troll becomes obsessive to the point of cyber stalking/harassing. :twocents-02cents:

While this behavior isn't exactly the norm for this forum, it's certainly (and sadly) normal for a lot of live camming sites and camming forums. Take a stroll on some of the pirated webcam threads and I'm sure there's a good number of people who behave like this towards all camgirls.

I would like to volunteer as well! Feel free to PM me :)

This goes out to anyone who might have some information - I am also interested in learning about studios in Eastern Europe (I really have no knowledge on them), so if anyone has particular insight or experience regarding studios that would be much appreciated! I tried searching on the forum and found a few posts that briefly mentioned them. Thanks,

Sandra

Sandra, are you planning on maybe camming on one of the sites for your research also? All the cam girl feedback is great, but actually doing it yourself would give you a totally new perspective on it and would really make your paper kick ass. You always see a lot of these type papers where the researcher works in the fields they are writing on and gives them a whole new perspective. You should think about it.

StewieGriffin said:
Sandra, are you planning on maybe camming on one of the sites for your research also? All the cam girl feedback is great, but actually doing it yourself would give you a totally new perspective on it and would really make your paper kick ass. You always see a lot of these type papers where the researcher works in the fields they are writing on and gives them a whole new perspective. You should think about it.
While I love camming and I feel that's it's brought a lot of positive to my life, it's really not something for just anyone who isn't prepared to live their life as a sex worker, even after they retire.
While I'm sure the OP is smart enough to know this, unless she is OK with losing friends, family and possibly career options in the future, I would highly suggest against that.

I see your point Jolene. Just I personally think she should try webcamming herself because I feel it would give her a ton more insight and perspective and would make her paper more awesome. Heck, she could just do a non-nude chat if she was more comfortable. Or if she didn't want to cam, if she lived near a cam girl, she could observe the cam girl in action, dealing with chatters, etc. Sure with all the cam model help in the thread she will have a fine paper indeed.

StewieGriffin said:

Originally I had intended to make a profile and try it out myself, but Jolene's point is what prevented me from starting to do that. Since my time is limited for this particular paper, I don't have the time/energy to invest in becoming a model myself. However, since I plan on expanding this project to next year (and turn it into a 40 page thesis), I will definitely keep this in mind as an important factor to consider!

camprojectsq said:
StewieGriffin said:

Originally I had intended to make a profile and try it out myself, but Jolene's point is what prevented me from starting to do that. Since my time is limited for this particular paper, I don't have the time/energy to invest in becoming a model myself. However, since I plan on expanding this project to next year (and turn it into a 40 page thesis), I will definitely keep this in mind as an important factor to consider!

awww, so you wimped out lol. I'm just teasing and don't blame you. Good luck with it.

camprojectsq said:
StewieGriffin said:

I was curious about this myself, but I think you are wise not to do it. Although perhaps try camming a couple of time for your thesis. One of the problems of really became a cam girl,I think is you risk losing your objectivity, cool if you are writing magazine article not so good for a journal.

I bet Sandra will see how much some of these cam girls make and she will suddenly lose her fear of her family/friends finding out lol.

StewieGriffin said:
I bet Sandra will see how much some of these cam girls make and she will suddenly lose her fear of her family/friends finding out lol.

The problem with this is that camming for a few months (not sure how long she has before her paper) is not going to necessarily mean she'll get the same kind of income "some of these cam girls" make. She wouldn't have the ginourmous following top models have (which takes time to build up) nor the "skills" necessary to get it in a short period of time. The majority of models on MFC probably don't make more than $10-20 per hour.

The experience she'd get for her paper would only be one specific kind- a new, inexperienced model in North America. This wouldnt cover that of model's on the third page, models in the top 20, different camscore ranges etc.

I'd also like to suggest that a lot more than potential income goes into the decision to take the risk that come along with this job.

Edit: I accidentally an apostrophe

Right Jessi, making a lot of money camming isn't an overnight thing and takes a ton of time and hard work. It doesn't happen for everyone either as we all know; ton of really attractive women like on MFC try it, don't make as much money as they were hoping, and then leave the cam business.

Reactions: GoddessAiren
As much as we don't like to think about it, I'm sure there are girls in...negative situations who end up doing it through some misguided notion. I am aware of some in my city ( though I don't know them personally) who were, lets say, persuaded by a rather shady gentleman to give camming a go and ended up having a pretty negative experience and not much cash to show for it. And Im sure there are girls who signed up with barely a thought. I doubt many of them are particularly successful or even still doing it though. I really hope this is not the majority of models.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Jessi said:
I am aware of some in my city ( though I don't know them personally) who were, lets say, persuaded by a rather shady gentleman to give camming a go and ended up having a pretty negative experience and not much cash to show for it.
I think it's a stretch to label Kool_Ray a gentleman :naughty:

Jupiter551 said:
Jessi said:
I am aware of some in my city ( though I don't know them personally) who were, lets say, persuaded by a rather shady gentleman to give camming a go and ended up having a pretty negative experience and not much cash to show for it.
I think it's a stretch to label Kool_Ray a gentleman :naughty:

AHAHAHAHA. I certainly hope Koolray does not live in my town.

PlayboyMegan said:
Although this is pointless, I just wanted to add that although I have a high camscore, I have yet to ever finish in the top 100. There are girls with much lower camscores than I, that make much more money. CS is about how much money you make hourly, but if you don't put in enough hours (like my lazy ass), it really doesn't mean much.
I don't understand the camscore. It seems to have no rhyme or reason to it. :/

MegansDude said:
PlayboyMegan said:
Although this is pointless, I just wanted to add that although I have a high camscore, I have yet to ever finish in the top 100. There are girls with much lower camscores than I, that make much more money. CS is about how much money you make hourly, but if you don't put in enough hours (like my lazy ass), it really doesn't mean much.
:thumbleft:

camprojectsq said:
Hi everyone- I have been traveling and haven't had a chance to look at this now. Wow! A few things:

1. This project is 100% real. I will attach my proposal below for further clarification, and I can get a letter from my professor with a Purchase letterhead on the top for those who don't believe me.

2. I am not one of the trolls. I have no idea who those people are.

3. A HUGE thank you goes out to those who are volunteering and/or defending this post. My intentions are respectful; as mentioned before, all participants are insured anonymity and will be represented fairly and accurately if individually mentioned in my paper. Individuals will be assigned pseudonyms.

If anyone has more questions feel free to PM or e-mail me!

Research Proposal:

Topic of Study
Webcam sex work is a fairly recent phenomenon that has grown exponentially popular on various levels. It has essentially transformed the act of sex and sex work. For my project, I want to focus on a specific group of webcam models - 18-30 year old women from the United States.

Main Research Question(s)
I am interested in understanding how female sexuality is transformed and perceived through webcam sex, as well as how economic privilege and geographic location affect the dynamics of virtual sex work. While webcam sex websites are not limited to location, the experiences of webcam models vary greatly depending on their cultural context. Where, how, and why they decide to do this work is rooted in their corporeal situations and subjectivities. Who are the women that participate in webcam sex, and what are their experiences? Who are the viewers, and where do they come from? Is heterosexuality reinforced by virtual means?

Significance of Research
I want to pursue this topic because it explores different dimensions of sexuality, virtual sex, sex work, class, and gender difference.

Secondary Sources

AmberCutie's Forum. AmberCutie, n.d. Web. 8 Oct. 2012. <http://ambercutie.com>.

Andrejevic, Mark. “The Webcam Subculture and the Digital Enclosure.” MediaSpace : Place, Scale, and Culture in a Media Age. Ed. Nick Couldry and Anna McCarthy. New York: Routledge, 2004. 193-208. Print.

Biddle, Sam. "Indentured Servitude, Money Laundering, and Piles of Money: The Crazy Secrets of Internet Cam Girls." Gizmodo. Gawker Media, 18 Sept. 2012. Web. 8 Oct. 2012.

Cam-Girl Notes. Forumer, n.d. Web. 8 Oct. 2012. <http://camgirlnotes.15.forumer.com/>.

Cherny, Lynn, and Elizabeth Reba Weise, eds. Wired Women : Gender and New Realities in Cyberspace. Emeryville: Seal, 1996. Print.

Garcia, Angela Cora, et al. "Ethnographic Approaches to the Internet and Computer-Mediated Communication." Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 38.1 (2009): 52-84. Print.

Millar, Melanie Stewart. Cracking the Gender Code: Who Rules the Wired World? Toronto: Second Story, 1998. Print.

Ross, Michael W. "Typing, Doing, and Being: Sexuality and the Internet." The Journal of Sex Research 42.4 (2005): 342-52. JSTOR. Web. 8 Oct. 2012.

Waskul, Dennis D. "The Naked Self: Being a Body in Televideo Cybersex." The Body Reader: Essential Social and Cultural Readings. Ed. Mary Kosut and Lisa Jean Moore. New York: New York UP, 2010. 252--281. Print.

White, Michele. "Too Close to See: Men, Women, and Webcams." New Media Society 5.1 (2003): 7-28. SAGE Publications. Web. 8 Oct. 2012.

This sounds like a interesting research project. I hope you all the best as you pursue it.

StewieGriffin said:
I most definitely think Sandra should interview Kool Ray for her project. He will probably then make a series of "how to write a thesis on cam girls" videos for her, lol what a jackass, know-it-alls like him are the worst.
Send her a pm and you two can get one set up then.

TheFluffsta said:
MegansDude said:
PlayboyMegan said:
:thumbleft:

If the camscore is all about how much money you make hourly, what is the top 100 about? How much money you make plus how many hours? It would make more sense to have the camscore match the top 100's criteria. It looks like it plays a part, but it is not the whole picture. The whole thing doesn't make no sense to me. :/ Math has never been my best subject. I better stick with spending tokens. ;)

Reactions: GoddessAiren
Status
Not open for further replies.