AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

When Times Are Hard...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefish

I did bad things, privileges revoked!
In the Dog House
Mar 26, 2010
Usually somewhere between flippant and glib.
...I often try to think how hard it was for prior generations, then realize we got it relatively good in comparison. However, sometimes I wish times were simpler as it was just a few decades ago. When kids gripe about doing a simple chore like taking the garbage out or doing a few dishes, I can't help but think how spoiled we are all getting.

Interesting reading if you have some time: http://www.aging.ohio.gov/news/greatdep ... lume2.aspx

Feel free to share your any of your own sentiments.

Yeah, the old days were pretty good in America, unless you died in childbirth or had a child out of wedlock or were, you know, black.

The times I have lived in and am living in have been the best the world has ever seen, at least the Western world. I'm so glad that I won't live to see them end, which they will in a few decades thanks to our excessive level of consumption which is now gradually spreading to places like China and India, the populations of which are very tired, thank you very much, of serving as our cheap labour.

To quote Carly Simon: These are the good old days.

I do agree that people have become spoiled.

And yes, times were much tougher back then. They were used to having to work hard. It was a way of life for them. The entire point was always "to give my kids what I didn't have" "to give them a better life"... didn't that mean that the point of their hard work was so that their kids wouldn't have to work so hard?

When I find myself in times of trouble,
mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom,
let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom,
let it be.

Ease and hardship help form our character, kind of like rain and sunshine upon the earth eventually give us physical nourishment. Sometimes I feel like we have too much ease. :twocents-02cents:

Kids these days not even having to blow out a video game cartridge before playing them. Damn their spoiled asses.

BUT at the same time it does irk me when people look back 50, 100 years ago and act like that was the good ol days and re-write history like everything back then was all rainbows and sunshine and people want to return to back then.

Earlier times were indeed tough on many levels too... but they were also simpler.

A person just a few years ago with a good work ethic and education or skill could find a decent paying job to keep the lights on and the mortgage paid. Nowadays even rocket scientists with degrees are having to do whatever it takes... whether it be working at McD's or manual labor.

I still envy the simpler days in many ways... when you could do what this guy did on a whim:

http://www.aloneinthewilderness.com/

I'm a city slicker. Roughing it and being self sufficient off the grid killing my food before I cooking it and all that jazz doesn't interest me and in my opinion is not simpler times- Hell it sounds like much more work than what I'd want to put in. Some people are into that type of life and good for them I have nothing against it but that kind of life is the furthest thing from my cup of tea.

SweepTheLeg said:
I'm a city slicker. Roughing it and being self sufficient off the grid killing my food before I cooking it and all that jazz doesn't interest me and in my opinion is not simpler times- Hell it sounds like much more work than what I'd want to put in. Some people are into that type of life and good for them I have nothing against it but that kind of life is the furthest thing from my cup of tea.

Suckling off what the government teet provides does indeed sometimes suck.

I do hate doing any suckling off any government teet and will gladly stop as soon as someone says "you're hired."

SweepTheLeg said:
I do hate doing any suckling off any government teet and will gladly stop as soon as someone says "you're hired."

Sometimes I can be unduly harsh... What I really meant to say is sometimes you have to be more creative and think outside the government box. If you have a unique talent or desire... investigate that. :thumbleft:

I can handle harshness, so fear not. My way of getting creative is having a job and make money to get people to do the jobs that I either don't want to do or don't know how to do.

For the first 10 years of my adult life? Just fine. Was responsible with my money and saved up just in case what I feared would happen did happen so I am not totally dependent on unemployment. Should I feel guilty that I am being provided some assistance while I'm out looking for a job? Because I really don't.

We all paid into a fund where politicians were basically paid off by special interests...and poo-pood everything away... We need a government that looks out for the people and is not paid for by the rich, bribing SOBs. Sounds simple... right?

Sometimes I realize that there are things that my kids will never experience that kind of makes me sad. That being said, I've lived the simple life... houses with no indoor plumbing, no heat, rarely TV. I've walked to the outhouse at 3am with a flashlight, I've chopped firewood, collected eggs, and used the oven to heat the house because there was no other option. I've fought my brothers over the last can of pork n beans and seen my dinner alive before eating it.

Now I guess I'm spoiled and you couldn't pay me to go back. At 31 years old, after everything I've been through, I STILL hate doing the dishes.

The good ol' days weren't always good, and Tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems. ~Billy Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.