AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Does it make sense to use a DSLR camera?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2017
Hey all,

I'm a young male broadcaster with 25000 followers on chaturbate and got the following question:

Does it make sense to invest into and use a DSLR camera for camming? Anyone who is using it?

I thought about video cameras that cost about 350-400 $.

I'm currently using the Logitech C920 which provides OK pictures. But when I recently watched a young woman using a DSLR-camera in her own appartment (no studio), I felt like she is working on a whole different level. :haha:

Whats your opinion? Is it safe to use a DSLR-camera for hours ? Because i suspect the hardware can get damaged as they are not made for working hours constantly. Or are there maybe better webcams than the Logitech C920?

Thank you

Hey all,

I'm a young male broadcaster with 25000 followers on chaturbate and got the following question:

Does it make sense to invest into and use a DSLR camera for camming? Anyone who is using it?

I'm currently using the Logitech C920 which provides OK pictures. But when I recently watched a young woman using a DSLR-camera in her own appartment (no studio), I felt like she is working on a whole different level. :haha:

Whats your opinion? Is it safe to use a DSLR-camera for hours ? Because i suspect the hardware can get damaged as they are not made for working hours constantly. Or are there maybe better webcams than the Logitech C920?

Thank you
Check out the brio for a fantastic webcam

Hey all,

Thank you

I recently bought a mirrorless camera that I cam with, and I would certainly recommend, especially now that the resale value for webcams is high. Though I mostly bought mine for photography, it's nice to cam with since the quality is much better. If you make videos you will notice the biggest difference there.

I also have really sensitive eyes, so being able to use a camera in lower light while maintaining decent video quality was a plus to me, since the Brio required a lot of light to look good, unless you can use daylight.

EDIT: Oh, and it's fine using for a long period of time. When using for camming you would not be using batteries, but an external power supply instead, and in addition to not recording to a memory card heat doesn't become an issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers Lollipip and nigerian prince. And which mirrorless camera are you using iif I can ask?

Upgrading your camera is totally worth it! Like others said, the Logitech Brio is very nice and in my opinion should a cam model's first camera; the C920 is still workable but it's become dated with 4k becoming more and more accessible.

Right now I have a Panasonic Lumix G9, but I got it for cam modeling just as much as for nature photography and general vlogging. If I wanted a DSLR just to use as a webcam, I would have went with a Panasonic Lumix GX85 or GX9, which are significantly cheaper and work fantastic as webcams. If you need even cheaper, Olympus makes comparable cameras. I like to recommend Panasonic brand cameras for livestreaming because they never practically overheat during usage. Some manufacturers like Canon, Nikon, and Sony have issues with some of their cameras overheating during long use periods, causing them to automatically shut off. However, most DSLRs will probably be fine for livestreaming as with most camera's you'll just use HDMI out to stream. Cameras get a lot hotter when actually recording to an SD card than when simply piping the video feed out.

Elgato, a capture card manufacture, keeps a list of compatible cameras that work well for streaming. They also list the parts needed for continuous power.

Few cameras have the option to use them as a webcam via a USB connection. You'll need to buy a capture card to convert the raw HDMI signal from your camera into a format your PC can understand. I have the Cloner Alliance Flint 4kP right now, but it only works well at 1080p@60fps, as the USB 3.0 interface struggles to provide enough bandwidth for adequate 40k@60fps and sacrifices color quality. Eventually I'm looking to upgrade to this Magwell Pro Capture Card. PCIe or M.2 capture cards are leagues better than USB cards due to the additional bandwith and reduced latency, if you have the cash to spare.

While these capture cards let your PC read the video, they will not render the video in the H.264 format required for livestreaming. You'll need a modern processor to encode the video in real-time. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x with a stock cooler and it gets hot while I stream.

Lastly, don't forget about the lenses! Different lenses have different artistic styles, ie some have a wide field of view, others narrow, some make the background blurry, others curve the edges... And you can switch lenses to give your video completely different aesthetics. I don't know much about lenses right now though as I just got my new camera set up and only have one lens right now (Panasonic Lumix G 25mm), but it will be something to experiment with.

I recommend using a DSLR over a webcam especially now that there are so many low cost options. Options that will give you a far better quality than any webcam, even the brio.

I have two articles here with several recommendations for cameras that are beginner friendly, inexpensive and capture card ready:

The Best DSLR's To Turn Into A Webcam

Turn An EOS Canon Into A Webcam Without A Capture Card

You can get a mid-level camera and upgrade the quality later on with better lenses later on.

I have a DSLR and LOVE IT! Great for streaming/filming and photo content! It really ups your game for sure!

And someone mentioned the ability to stream in low light which is a nice perk too! It helps set the mood for me, and I have had compliments on how the "mood" of my room is very sensual and chill...

I have a few lenses that came with it that I still need to test out....

Reactions: KyleBoy
Hey autumn nights, taja, catsmith, Thanks a lot for your idea and information! :)

Ended up buying a Sony Alpha 5100 with elegato camlink 4k and cables + dummy battery.

But the prices for the camlink 4 k are shocking and it may be due to the covid-sitauation: $ 260 for instant shopping or $ 150 with a 1 month delivery time. It hurts! But I'm sure it will be worth it. And I hope it will be better than the Logitech Brio.

Thanks for your help!

Can, yes. Recommended, especially for someone who would like to keep things simple? Not really, no.
Sticking with the most popular and basic cams, such as the Logitech C920, is the best route to go.
quoted @AmberCutie 's older (very older) reply.
My opinion, yup, invest in stream quality (in a decent manner), invest in hardware, software or whatever ... this doesn't guarantee success but at least you know you did all what was humanly possible from your end.

Reactions: JustMilfnAround
Please DM me here if you need help setting it up :) I may be able to help - I've set mine up on Windows and Mac :)

Aww thank you so much and I'd love to get help from you! Will contact you for sure :)

By the way, which notebook or computers do you use for streaming? I also considered using a computer as you get the same hardware for lower prices, but it restricts the possibility of changing camera views or changing rooms within a show.

Aww thank you so much and I'd love to get help from you! Will contact you for sure :)

By the way, which notebook or computers do you use for streaming? I also considered using a computer as you get the same hardware for lower prices, but it restricts the possibility of changing camera views or changing rooms within a show.
I use my desktop to do the broadcasting through obs and then use my old laptop to load up the chat, I have even used an old phone to load up the chat if I am going to be moving a lot and dont want the hassle of trying to find something stable to put the laptop on. (I use my main phone as my webcam, better image quality than a webcam and it's wireless too, which makes picking up and going for a walk around nice and simple)

I've used a Windows 10 and Macbook Air laptop. I'm currently using a MacBook Air because my Windows laptop lasted all of 6 months before it turned itself into a paperweight... If you want a tower, you can get a rolling media cart on Amazon for a decent price :)

BTW, I don't need to use a capture card for either.... I had a hard time figuring out how to turn off the grid in my Cannon Rebel T7 and I kept getting grid on my feed. So, after a few days of trial and error with software I was able to figure it out :)

Ended up buying a Sony Alpha 5100 with elegato camlink 4k and cables + dummy battery.
Similarly I've been running the Sony Alpha a6400 and it looks fantastic. But I do still stand by my statement that was quoted above: for someone starting out in this and looking to make things SIMPLE this is not the way to go. A tiny little webcam, especially if it has built in mic like all the newest recommended Logitech cams do, is much easier to work with than a big clunky expensive piece of equipment and can still get the job done nearly as well.

I've used a Windows 10 and Macbook Air laptop. I'm currently using a MacBook Air because my Windows laptop lasted all of 6 months before it turned itself into a paperweight... If you want a tower, you can get a rolling media cart on Amazon for a decent price :)

BTW, I don't need to use a capture card for either.... I had a hard time figuring out how to turn off the grid in my Cannon Rebel T7 and I kept getting grid on my feed. So, after a few days of trial and error with software I was able to figure it out :)

Hey again Catsmith, so you say it's not necessary to use the expensive Elegato Camlink 4k? What do you mean by "Tower"?

As I understand, with the Sony A5100 and camlink, it's not necessary to use any additional software except for OBS, which means better CPU performance.

Hey again Catsmith, so you say it's not necessary to use the expensive Elegato Camlink 4k? What do you mean by "Tower"?
I do believe we need camlink for our Sony setups. And I think she means a full PC instead of a laptop. A rolling cart for your computer allows for more convenience moving to other parts of your room/house (but still a lot harder than a laptop.)

As I understand, with the Sony A5100 and camlink, it's not necessary to use any additional software except for OBS, which means better CPU performance.

Sorry - that's what I meant for my Cannon - I'm not sure about Sony - my bad, I may be wrong about this :)

Reactions: KyleBoy
But the prices for the camlink 4 k are shocking and it may be due to the covid-sitauation: $ 260 for instant shopping or $ 150 with a 1 month delivery time. It hurts!

You could try the BlueAVS or Goodan capture card. Might be able to find one on amazon or ebay or elsewhere for a fraction of the price of the camlink

Idk if it's COVID but these cameras are really expensive. :dead: The cheapest in the thread is an Amazon renewed (I've never seen this on Amazon before - it's refurbished maybe?) Canon EOS Rebel T6 but it's still $310 for just the camera. Looks like I'll be going with the Brio even though I'd prefer the lighting situation CatSmith and Nigerian Prince described.

Idk if it's COVID but these cameras are really expensive. :dead: The cheapest in the thread is an Amazon renewed (I've never seen this on Amazon before - it's refurbished maybe?) Canon EOS Rebel T6 but it's still $310 for just the camera. Looks like I'll be going with the Brio even though I'd prefer the lighting situation CatSmith and Nigerian Prince described.

The cameras themselves shouldn't have increased since camera sales are down across most major brands, but I think covid has affected the used market. With so many people streaming and with the huge webcam shortage a while back a lot of people sought after mirrorless/DSLR cameras as an alternative.

I would check out FB marketplace, you might be able to find better prices there

So I recently won a GoPro Hero4 Black on eBay for $80 and hooked it up to an AC adapter and a camlink to see how it looks, and it's really nice! Definitely a marked improvement over the UVC-compliant webcams on the market right now. I believe it can only output HDMI to 1080p@60fps, but if you're making videos for sale it records a decent 4k picture; some models can do 4k@60fps+, too. With the Hero4 Black, you can switch between regular/wide-angle/fisheye rendering through a button on the front, so that's fun.

The Logitech Brio has an 8MP sensor; GoPro Heros 4-8 have a 12MP sensor. The "Black" editions output HDMI, the "Silver" ones do not. Since the newer ones have the same sensor as the Hero4, so maybe the newer models have things like better image stabilization and color rendering. They are going to be a bigger expense though and you might even be able to get an entry-level DSLR setup with what a GoPro Hero8 costs.

Anyway, it can be a great option for someone looking for a nice setup on the cheap. Especially with how expensive webcams are, spending around $100 on this little guy could help you get ahead easily. It's not in the same league as a DSLR of course, but it's a solid step up from a webcam.

BTW, I've been having issues with my Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 overheating after extended use and glitching out on stream. On some photography forums other users were experiencing the same thing, and it is due to its internals. I spoke highly of this camera in past posts but now expressly would not recommend it for camgirls. I still use this camera for nature photography where it shines, but the Lumix GX85 is better for camwork because you can run it all day just fine. I was also looking at the BlackMagic Pocket Cameras for a future expense, they seem like an entry into the foray of serious broadcasting equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.