AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Climate Change Debate Thread

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

What do you think about global warming?

• It's a bunch of bullshit.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • It's happening, but it's nothing to worry about (natural)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • It's happening, it's supposed to happen, but humans need to change some things about the way they li

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • It's happening, and humans are the evil villains who caused it!

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Where's my ice cream?

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Does this mean I don't need a heater anymore?

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Two words- sidewalk cooking! Bonzai!

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jupiter551 said:
Bocefish said:
Jupiter551 said:
Bocefish said:
HO7qb7j.gif
One of the well-constructed ripostes that have become your trademark.

You are so full of shit that it's laughable... you say one thing yet reveal your real thoughts in PM
wut? You're referring to my occupation? Idk what else you could be referring to...

Think about it... it was one of your many stoned admissions.

Just a reminder. This is a heated topic. Sorry, I just couldn't resist the pun.

There's going to be a lot of passionate posts with sites supporting your theory and sites counter posted negating them. That's a given, it always happens. But let's keep it civil, shall we? :think:

If anyone can't keep it to a rational thought about something maybe take a step back from posting in this thread for awhile to let things calm down? No need to turn this into a mudslinging replica of the gun thread.

JerryBoBerry said:

There's going to be a lot of passionate posts with sites supporting your theory and sites counter posted negating them. That's a given, it always happens. But let's keep it civil, shall we? :think:

If anyone can't keep it to a rational thought about something maybe take a step back from posting in this thread for awhile to let things calm down? No need to turn this into a mudslinging replica of the gun thread.

Agreed, I raised the BS flag on some scientific jargon that was not 100% true, then felt I was cheaply jabbed at for doing so.

Bocefish said:
JerryBoBerry said:

Agreed, I raised the BS flag on some scientific jargon that was not 100% true, then felt I was cheaply jabbed at for doing so.

Technically I agree with you on the BS flag. That was incredibly stupid junk science.
I found another website exposing Cook's really bad methods used (the author of the study, if you can call it that).
In statistics you are supposed to come with a hypothesis and set an alpha level of confidence in your prediction capabilities and just let the numbers you come up with lie as they come. If they don't agree with your hypothesis, too damn bad. At least you know you were wrong. What Cook did was start with an agenda then tailored his search criteria and statistical methods to falsely foist that agenda on the unsuspecting masses. There's email he wrote before the numbers were even crunched stating he was going to do just that.

It’s essential that the public understands that there’s a scientific consensus on AGW [anthropogenic (man-made) global warming]. So Jim Powell, Dana and I have been working on something over the last few months that we hope will have a game changing impact on the public perception of consensus. Basically, we hope to establish that not only is there a consensus, there is a strengthening consensus. Deniers like to portray the myth that the consensus is crumbling, that the tide is turning.
Interesting deconstruction of the whole fraudulent study.
http://wtfrly.com/2013/06/11/cookin...-scientists-affirm-agw-debunked/#.UdO84_nU9uJ

Albert_1 said:
Don't see why there is a debate on this. The science is in, it's happening and humans making it much worse.
Many don't believe the science is in nor are we the cause. Thus the debate.
In fact some think humans even beginning to believe they could affect the planet like that is plain arrogance.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Bocefish said:
Think about it... it was one of your many stoned admissions.
No thanks, but go ahead and tell the class if you like. I don't know what I said but I do know I have nothing to hide.
JerryBoBerry said:
In fact some think humans even beginning to believe they could affect the planet like that is plain arrogance.
Right, but then they saw the devastation caused in places where there's been oil spills, toxic dumps, illegal dumping etc and realised it was self-evident that it was considerably more arrogant to think they could treat the place like a dump, and it would simply clean itself up.

It almost seems like some people conceive of the planet as some sort of magical ever-regenerating resource. Guess what - magic doesn't exist. Anyone want to explain the principle of convection, or suggest how worldwide energy emissions wouldn't warm the atmosphere?

Seriously, can you guys use logic for a second? You put chemicals in the atmosphere where the fuck do you guys think they're going? Lol and again, anyone who argues that we're not doing any harm, go build your house on top of a toxic dump site, you'll get cheap land and hey, it'd be totally arrogant to think we could make the ground toxic!

Bocefish said:
JordanBlack said:
But you don't say how many American corporations, major polluters have moved business outside USA since 1994, thus having an effect on those percentages or that America's biggest export to China is garbage.

I didn't say a lot of things, but if you believe that's the reason, please enlighten us.

Uhm I replied to your post, but if you & your alter ego might feel the need for someone else to prove you that 2+2=4, that's not my problem.

In your post you said that USA has reached Kyoto Protocols standards, in comparison with those countries that have signed it. And again I stand by what I said, USA has succeeded in doing that, partly, by exporting pollution in other countries. Major polluters have moved in countries where production is cheaper, leaving their carbon footprint elsewhere but USA. Snarkly comments won't make you look any less ignorant.

Bocefish said:
MrTrenchcoat said:
On the subject of repaying carbon debt, I always wonder about green alternatives. How long does it take them to pay back the manufacturing and construction costs in terms of atmospheric impact? No seriously, can anyone link me to a study dedicated to that? I'd really like to know.

Carbon taxes are something the Gore foundation of misinformation rallied... do as I say and not how I live institute.

You misunderstand, it is not a tax on carbon. Merely the greenhouse gases produced during the production of these alternatives, as most are manufactured in places where fossil fuels are still the primary energy source. In essence, if you have a zero emissions car and use it for twenty years that is twenty years worth of greenhouse gases saved. But, if in the production and disposal of your car it requires twenty-one years worth at the rate you drive, your car is a worthless alternative to the initial problem. That's without factoring in where the power comes from for the car.

I wrote out a long reply to this earlier too, seems I forgot to post it. Oh well, here goes...

Climate Change is real. Climate Change IS a natural cycle, HOWEVER, we are having an impact. Methane alone is released on the scale of 340 kilotons per year (Motzka et al. 2011), purely from anthropogenic sources. Natural methane production from wetlands is estimated at 110 kilotons per year (Matthews, E & Fung, I 2012), this gives a sense of scale as wetlands are the primary source of methane releases in nature. Now, I don't have the fucks to givetime to research into carbon dioxide using scholarly search engines. If you send me a link to any study, it better have a published paper in a peer-reviewed journal else your link is completely irrelevant. No, seriously. Studies get invented, or doctored repeatedly and while peer-review is not by any means fool proof(Look at the vaccine guy, or that other guy that basically copied and pasted his graphics between papers), it is another level of quality control. In theory it prevents the nutters from making things up and turning them into fact, but let's not get sidetracked.

The planet cycles through hot and cold, glacial and interglacial periods as they're known. In the pre-Cambrian there were glaciers all over the place, the so-called Snowball Earth. This time was called the Cryogenian because, unsurprisingly it was incredibly cold. During this time, the global mean temperature was fifty degrees Celsius colder than today. However, the next time period is called the Ediacaran which is characterised by a cap carbonate deposit at the beginning. The deposits above it, indicate a global mean temperature of fifty degrees C hotter than today. That's a variation of one-hundred degrees in a very short time period. Now, this is believed to be global but there is a lot of debate. What we can say, is the cap carbonate is found over an incredibly large area. Too big to be a single basin, which results in the argument for Snowball Earth.
Anyway, that's not the point. My point is simply that temperatures and carbon dioxide levels have fluctuated greatly over time. At the moment the evidence indicates there are tipping points. It also indicates for the recent past, the climate has been more stable for longer than ever. This suggests the planet may have reached a point of stability, said stability allowed us to develop and flourish. The issue is, if greenhouse gases build to the tipping point and we go over, on the order of under a century we could see the end of humanity. Arable land would move towards the poles, if there was any left. The desert band would grow beyond the tropics and we'd have a serious issue with large scale storms, orders of magnitude more powerful than current ones.

Basically, we're pretty lucky. Climate change, it happens, we should probably stop helping it though.

Oh, and references:

Motzka, SA, Dlugokencky & Butler, JH 2011, ‘Non-CO2 greenhouse gases and climate change’, Nature, vol. 476, no. 7358, pp. 43-50
Matthews, E & Fung, I 1987, 'Methane emission from natural wetlands: Global distribution, area, and environmental characteristics of sources', Global Biogeochemical Cycles, vol. 1, iss. 1, pp. 61-87

Jupiter551 said:
Right, but then they saw the devastation caused in places where there's been oil spills, toxic dumps, illegal dumping etc and realised it was self-evident that it was considerably more arrogant to think they could treat the place like a dump, and it would simply clean itself up.

It almost seems like some people conceive of the planet as some sort of magical ever-regenerating resource. Guess what - magic doesn't exist. Anyone want to explain the principle of convection, or suggest how worldwide energy emissions wouldn't warm the atmosphere?

Seriously, can you guys use logic for a second? You put chemicals in the atmosphere where the fuck do you guys think they're going? Lol and again, anyone who argues that we're not doing any harm, go build your house on top of a toxic dump site, you'll get cheap land and hey, it'd be totally arrogant to think we could make the ground toxic!

Thank you for mentioning oil spills, an area of interest for me. It's not actually arrogant to think the planet would clean itself up after an oil spill. There is actually hard undisputed evidence on that issue.

What most people think of when they hear oil spill is Valdez or Gulf Oil Spill and all those little duckies on the beach covered in the nasty oil, the beaches are going to be forever ruined, let's all gather hands and sing kumbaya, the earth will never recover from that, it's horrible, blah blah blah. What they don't stop to think about is oil products seep up naturally every day all over the earth. It's been happening for millions of years and the earth seems to handle it quite easily. You're superimposing the time frame of a few years to show all the damage done to one local area and then extrapolating that to geological time. That is wrong.

Coal Oil Point off Santa Barbara seeps around 25 tons of oil every single day and has been doing so for several hundred thousand years. In Turkmenistan there's a remote area where it doesn't work financially to bring in oil equipment so the natural gas that comes up out of the ground is left on fire. It's been burning continuously since 1971. Natural seepage accounts for about twice as much oil in the ocean than oil spills every year.

The simple fact is oil is natural. It is nothing more than rotten vegetation (plants, algae) and lipids from fatty tissue of higher forms of life. This is all compacted down in sedimentary layers and plunged down deep enough to attain the pressure and temperature for a long enough period to cook it into oil...and gas if cooked too hot. In essence it's nothing but Carbon and Hydrogen chained together. The earth can handle those rather easily all by itself.

What you are thinking of as bad is the short term effects on tourism and wildlife. But long term effects on the earth are non-existent. None, do not exist. Anywhere. Left alone and done nothing at all, even left going, the gulf oil spill would have zero impact over the long term on the planet. In fact looking at the total world wide natural seepage of oil that occurs every day now it really is a minor blip on the radar. The overall average of oil spills account for about 5% of oil pollution in the oceans. You know the oil that gets deposited on roads from cars? That all gets washed away by rain and makes it's way downstream to the ocean. A single city of 5 million people put the same amount of oil into the ocean as a large ocean tanker every year.

People confuse short term effects of concentrated spills, and they can be serious I will agree, with long term damage to the earth. This is in error. Long term there is no effect of oil spills on the planet. They've been happening naturally for millions of years before humans ever walked the earth and will continue to happen. Not a problem for the planet.

Think geological time for a while. If the Earths entire 4.5 billion year history were represented by a single 24 hour period then homo sapiens would not have appeared until 30 seconds before midnight. And all of recorded human history would have happened in the last tenth of a second. Even if it takes 30 years for the gulf oil spill to disappear that is nothing in Earth time. Now do you see the arrogance to think we could effect the planet? Stop thinking in your short life span. You are less than a flea on an elephant's back compared to the planet.

Oh, and as for the oil covered duckies. I say fuck em. That's also the planet at work too you know. Most birds fly away when an oil spill starts coming at them. Only the ones too damn stupid start to go swimming in it. Earth's Natural Selection at its finest right there. Weed out the dumb ass ones so the genes of the smart adaptable ones get carried on. It's how evolution works. You couldn't get more 'Earth friendly' than that right there.

http://www.livescience.com/5422-natural-oil-spills-surprising-amount-seeps-sea.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_to_Hell
Really interesting article on the non-existent long term (even short term, just a handful of years in reality) of oil spills.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...uth-theyre-calamity-doom-mongers-say-are.html
Raw numbers on the amount of oil going into the oceans.
http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/peril_oil_pollution.html

JerryBoBerry said:
Jupiter551 said:

Thank you for mentioning oil spills, an area of interest for me. It's not actually arrogant to think the planet would clean itself up after an oil spill. There is actually hard undisputed evidence on that issue.

What most people think of when they hear oil spill is Valdez or Gulf Oil Spill and all those little duckies on the beach covered in the nasty oil, the beaches are going to be forever ruined, let's all gather hands and sing kumbaya, the earth will never recover from that, it's horrible, blah blah blah. What they don't stop to think about is oil products seep up naturally every day all over the earth. It's been happening for millions of years and the earth seems to handle it quite easily. You're superimposing the time frame of a few years to show all the damage done to one local area and then extrapolating that to geological time. That is wrong.

Coal Oil Point off Santa Barbara seeps around 25 tons of oil every single day and has been doing so for several hundred thousand years. In Turkmenistan there's a remote area where it doesn't work financially to bring in oil equipment so the natural gas that comes up out of the ground is left on fire. It's been burning continuously since 1971. Natural seepage accounts for about twice as much oil in the ocean than oil spills every year.

The simple fact is oil is natural. It is nothing more than rotten vegetation (plants, algae) and lipids from fatty tissue of higher forms of life. This is all compacted down in sedimentary layers and plunged down deep enough to attain the pressure and temperature for a long enough period to cook it into oil...and gas if cooked too hot. In essence it's nothing but Carbon and Hydrogen chained together. The earth can handle those rather easily all by itself.

What you are thinking of as bad is the short term effects on tourism and wildlife. But long term effects on the earth are non-existent. None, do not exist. Anywhere. Left alone and done nothing at all, even left going, the gulf oil spill would have zero impact over the long term on the planet. In fact looking at the total world wide natural seepage of oil that occurs every day now it really is a minor blip on the radar. The overall average of oil spills account for about 5% of oil pollution in the oceans. You know the oil that gets deposited on roads from cars? That all gets washed away by rain and makes it's way downstream to the ocean. A single city of 5 million people put the same amount of oil into the ocean as a large ocean tanker every year.

People confuse short term effects of concentrated spills, and they can be serious I will agree, with long term damage to the earth. This is in error. Long term there is no effect of oil spills on the planet. They've been happening naturally for millions of years before humans ever walked the earth and will continue to happen. Not a problem for the planet.

Think geological time for a while. If the Earths entire 4.5 billion year history were represented by a single 24 hour period then homo sapiens would not have appeared until 30 seconds before midnight. And all of recorded human history would have happened in the last tenth of a second. Even if it takes 30 years for the gulf oil spill to disappear that is nothing in Earth time. Now do you see the arrogance to think we could effect the planet? Stop thinking in your short life span. You are less than a flea on an elephant's back compared to the planet.

Oh, and as for the oil covered duckies. I say fuck em. That's also the planet at work too you know. Most birds fly away when an oil spill starts coming at them. Only the ones too damn stupid start to go swimming in it. Earth's Natural Selection at its finest right there. Weed out the dumb ass ones so the genes of the smart adaptable ones get carried on. It's how evolution works. You couldn't get more 'Earth friendly' than that right there.

http://www.livescience.com/5422-natural-oil-spills-surprising-amount-seeps-sea.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_to_Hell
Really interesting article on the non-existent long term (even short term, just a handful of years in reality) of oil spills.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...uth-theyre-calamity-doom-mongers-say-are.html
Raw numbers on the amount of oil going into the oceans.
http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/peril_oil_pollution.html
Couple things, in brief, though I realise your response wasn't brief so I apologise.

1. Natural is not a synonym for good. Hemlock is natural. It will also kill pretty much anything that eats it. Cyanide - also natural. Actually herpes is natural too, does that make it somehow 'better' than a synthesised cream to treat its symptoms?

2. Going and mining something (anything), refining it or not, and then spilling it somewhere it would never naturally occur is no more natural than manmade nuclear fission. Sure, it theoretically COULD happen without human intervention. Just like an oil spill of that magnitude COULD happen, but the fact is it never would - and if it did it would cause massive damage right?

3. The fact that crude oil is biodegradeable proves nothing. Yes, if you spill some oil, eventually the earth will recover (after widespread devastation) - however we have the capability to spill oil and other pollutants at a rate that NO ONE could argue the planet could possibly cope with. Are you suggesting if we covered the earth in toxic waste, killed virtually every living thing, that the earth would recover? I come back to toxic waste. You make the argument about crude oil because it's naturally occuring, well besides the fact that as I said above, nature is not a synonym for awesome, I think you're being slightly choosy with the spill substance. I used the Valdez incident as an example - one could just as easily use the Bikini Atoll nuclear tests of the 1950s and 60s.

The Bikini Atoll is still dangerously radioactive, despite decades having passed, and still dangerously uninhabitable - more than 50 years after the last test ended.

You never mentioned, btw, how quickly the earth's umm....'healing factor' kicks in. Cuz if it's like a few thousand years I think it might be kind of superfluous when measured against our odds of survival as a species lol.

The measured effects of one of the hydrogen bombs tested, note the ~600 mile fallout range, in this case much larger than the US government had predicted, and actually went on to fatally irradiate fishing boats and their crew out in the middle of the pacific ocean...

Look no one is suggesting that the earth and the ecosystem don't have mechanisms to deal with waste - obviously they do. What I am suggesting, nay insisting, is that we have and continue to grow our population, industry and emissions at a rate so great, and accelerating so fast that suggesting it can recover - even as we pollute further and further - is like suggesting that because the liver can safely process the toxins from a moderate amount of alcohol then therefore it follows the liver could eliminate ANY amount of toxins, no matter how fast it is introduced. Ridiculous!

Here's what I can't wrap my head around: look at smog in somewhere like LA, or Tokyo (btw I've seen the sun rise in Japan blood red, because you can only view it through the smog!), and tell me that doesn't affect the environment. Look at radiation sickness, cancers, lymphomas and other illnesses that have been linked in one or another way to illegal dumping and proximity of toxic waste to habitation. How can you POSSIBLY suggest that the earth is simply happily recycling whatever we throw at it, without repercussion, when there's repercussion everywhere?!

Next time you take out the trash, have a look how much the people in your household use, consume and create. Then multiply it by every person on the planet, then realise why we have 'islands' of trash in our oceans that are hundreds of miles across and have been growing (and indeed new ones noticed) since they were first noticed around half a century ago. Not declining, growing. Rapidly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_garbage_patch

Attachments

• 763px-Bravo_Fallout.jpg
    763px-Bravo_Fallout.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 116
I saw a similar photo to the below some years ago and was really moved at how humans, without any attempt to protect their own environment can devastate large areas of the planet. Why is Haiti so much more poor than the Dominican Republic? Chop down all your forests, and see.

55743d1262634209-haiti-haiti-border.gif

JerryBoBerry said:
Just Me said:
The science is settled and has been for quite some time. Less than 2% of all peer-reviewed studies since 1991 (12,000 in the survey) make the claim that climate change is caused by something other than human activities. If you are arguing otherwise with your "expert knowledge, feelings, religious or political beliefs", join the creationist scientists, they could use some company. If you have a degree in climatology or another related field, lets see your peer-reviewed study and then explain to us why 97% of your colleagues are wrong.

A link to common myths with corresponding answers to what the science says: http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

You should have dug deeper. From the link you provided I went and looked myself. Under the 97% figure you quote there is a link with three choices to look at the data: basic, intermediate and advanced. I chose advanced which gives a link to the IOPscience abstract of the study that quote arose from. It says of the 11,944 abstracts matching 'global climate change' or 'global warming' they found the majority of them, 66.4% expressed NO position on global warming. Of the 32.6% that did support the theory (and it is just a theory by the way) 97.1% of those endorsed the idea that humans are the cause. So while it really sounds nifty to say 97% believe we are the cause, in reality the majority of all the studies DO NOT say that.

It's just fun with math and you got caught up in play time.

Break the percentages down into the raw numbers instead of letting others play games with your head.
The 97.1% (believing we are the cause) of the 32.6% (those who actually believed it is happening in the first place) of the total 11,944 papers above means that 3,781 papers (rounded off) believe we are the cause. The other 8,163 state other things. Your '97%' number doesn't look so good now does it? It went from that overwhelming sounding majority to in fact a resounding minority instantly once you actually looked at the raw data.

What this tells me, and indeed I suspected as soon as I read the 'the science is settled and has been for quite some time' quote above is the webpage you linked has an agenda and they play with numbers to promote that agenda.

Here's the abstract from the IOPscience page.
http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/8/2/024024/article

We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, examining 11 944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics 'global climate change' or 'global warming'. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming.

Now just for fun I decided to do some background research on the SkepticalScience site and found there's a lot of people saying it's just made up garbage with an agenda. It's getting late right now so I'll leave that as a fun project for any who may be interested. But just to give you a headstart here's an interesting site where they debunked the entire study mentioned in your post all together. They state the '97% of articles', actually only 65 endorsed that position. NOT 65%, just 65 articles. In other words less than 1%. So maybe you were right, there just might be a consensus. A consensus saying it isn't happening.

Here's the article debunking the entire survey and showing it to be a total scam.
http://wtfrly.com/2013/06/11/cookin...-scientists-affirm-agw-debunked/#.UdO0pPnU9uI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveys_of_scientists'_views_on_climate_change

Next you will attack wikipedia as not being a reliable source. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html Feel free to change the articles that are wrong, it is within your power to do so. No? Why am I not surprised.

Keep denying :handgestures-salute:

It's all just a huge conspiracy by the all-powerful environmental lobby to crush those few last helpless car manufacturers out of business :(

Reactions: Nordling
JerryBoBerry said:
You should have dug deeper. From the link you provided I went and looked myself. Under the 97% figure you quote there is a link with three choices to look at the data: basic, intermediate and advanced. I chose advanced which gives a link to the IOPscience abstract of the study that quote arose from. It says of the 11,944 abstracts matching 'global climate change' or 'global warming' they found the majority of them, 66.4% expressed NO position on global warming. Of the 32.6% that did support the theory (and it is just a theory by the way) 97.1% of those endorsed the idea that humans are the cause. So while it really sounds nifty to say 97% believe we are the cause, in reality the majority of all the studies DO NOT say that.

It's just fun with math and you got caught up in play time.

Break the percentages down into the raw numbers instead of letting others play games with your head.
The 97.1% (believing we are the cause) of the 32.6% (those who actually believed it is happening in the first place) of the total 11,944 papers above means that 3,781 papers (rounded off) believe we are the cause. The other 8,163 state other things. Your '97%' number doesn't look so good now does it? It went from that overwhelming sounding majority to in fact a resounding minority instantly once you actually looked at the raw data.

What this tells me, and indeed I suspected as soon as I read the 'the science is settled and has been for quite some time' quote above is the webpage you linked has an agenda and they play with numbers to promote that agenda.

I've seen this argument and bad logic on every denier website out there, and all I have to say about it is "in reality the majority of all the studies DO NOT say that [we are the cause]" != "in reality the majority of all the studies say that we are NOT the cause". "Expressed NO opinion" != "expressed the opinion NO". They simply took the set of studies that stated or seemed to present a viewpoint and OF THAT SET the majority endorsed the consensus. The ones not considered were indifferent (did not state a position either way) and irrelevant to the matter being judged, and were therefore ignored for the purpose of determining whether there was a consensus.

So 32.6% is not the percentage of papers that supported the theory that global warming is caused by humans. It is the percentage of papers that leaned one way or the other at all. You cannot factor in the other 66.4%, and even if you could you certainly cannot make assumptions about which side those 66.4% would be on.

The problem for most people is that they have been sucked in by the conventional wisdom that greenhouse gasses cause global warming. We don't fucking know that! The people trying to model the effect of greenhouse gasses have had very little success to date predicting the effect. This is not to say that 7 billion people aren't responsible for the global increase in temperature, we just do not know the mechanism. Saying that green house gasses are the sole cause is irresponsible, and that is why most science papers on climate will not commit to anything.

Temperatures could be rising because of where we are on the glacial/interglacial cycle or it could be natural peaks in temperature occur for other unknown reasons. 1,000 years ago it was practically the same temperature as now. The only difference is a tiny .2 C increase in the last 30 years which you could very reasonably blame on 7 billion people chopping down every tree in sight, staying warm at night and cooking dinner.

This is a graph I found which indicates, very generally, temperatures in the last 2,000 years.
2000-years-of-global-temperatures.jpg

This is another graph showing both CO2 and temperatures over the last 450,000 years. It shows a clear correlation between temperature and CO2, but that doesn't prove one is caused by the other. CO2 levels might be controlled by something totally unrelated - such as the number of pirates.
400000yearslarge.gif

All science is theory. Even current accepted science is theory which is supported by evidence, but a theory still. It's okay to act before we know everything, sometimes we need to make judgement calls, and sometimes we need to take action today for stuff that might be catastrophic next week.

Solar, wind, tidal, dark matter, geothermal, are all either theoretical or functional power sources that should be researched. Are we ready to use any of them today to meet significant power needs? Probably not, but that doesn't mean it's not a damn good idea to invest in research, testing, and usage of such technologies - how else are we meant to discover new stuff!!

Even people who don't believe in global warming must admit that our species needs to find alternative fuel sources, otherwise we'll run out.

I want to ask this of the deniers: what if you're wrong? You might be dead, but what happens to our species -and our kids, grandkids and stuff - if you're wrong?

Jupiter551 said:
All science is theory. Even current accepted science is theory which is supported by evidence, but a theory still. It's okay to act before we know everything, sometimes we need to make judgement calls, and sometimes we need to take action today for stuff that might be catastrophic next week.

Solar, wind, tidal, dark matter, geothermal, are all either theoretical or functional power sources that should be researched. Are we ready to use any of them today to meet significant power needs? Probably not, but that doesn't mean it's not a damn good idea to invest in research, testing, and usage of such technologies - how else are we meant to discover new stuff!!

Even people who don't believe in global warming must admit that our species needs to find alternative fuel sources, otherwise we'll run out.

I want to ask this of the deniers: what if you're wrong? You might be dead, but what happens to our species -and our kids, grandkids and stuff - if you're wrong?

You might have missed in all of your posturing and and general wanking on that both Boce and I have come down very firmly on correcting current practices. Reducing energy demands, renewable energy and reducing the impact of technology are the only sensible paths. Greenhouse gas emissions are up 60% compared to 40 years ago. It may mean nothing because it has been higher in the distant past, but reducing the rate of emission and the overall levels of CO2 are goals that are both desirable and achievable because we don't actually know what it might result in, even if it actually has nothing to do with global warming. The majority of CO2 is generated in the third world due to their local practices. Improving stove designs has reduced CO2 production, pollution and fuel use where newer patterns of stoves have been adopted. Reducing pollutants in general and toxic waste by making more things biodegradable as well as recyclable are also valid goals that should not be neglected in the all powerful rush to reduce greenhouse gasses.

images

Red7227 said:
You might have missed in all of your posturing and and general wanking on that both Boce and I have come down very firmly on correcting current practices.
OH! Well, if you two juggernauts of intellectual debate have decided the issue then I suppose the rest of us can just see ourselves out. Discussion's over ladies and gents, the men have spoken.

Red7227 said:
The majority of CO2 is generated in the third world due to their local practices.
Their 'local practices'? Wut? You mean like cultural traditions? lol Ohh or you're talking about industry - yeah we all know how rich and industrial those third worlders are, with all their locally owned Nike factories and shit. :thumbleft:

Jupiter551 said:
Red7227 said:
The majority of CO2 is generated in the third world due to their local practices.
Their 'local practices'? Wut? You mean like cultural traditions? lol Ohh or you're talking about industry - yeah we all know how rich and industrial those third worlders are, with all their locally owned Nike factories and shit. :thumbleft:

The word you are looking for is "what?" not wut. Apparently your 32,000 scientists never mentioned that 5 billion people cooking with open fires has a significant impact on CO2 production. Its not fossil fuel, but its not growing back as fast as it used to either either, so developments like more efficient ovens is saving millions of lives from pollution and starvation. Countries like Indonesia contribute enormous amounts of CO2 through deforestation and peat bogs. Peat is a fissil fuel, and is expected to surpass other fossil fuels as the greatest source of CO2 within the next 20 years or so

Back before global warming was the buzz phrase, it used to be "sustainable development". Creating sustainable processes in the third world and replacing fossil fuels in the first world were the goals then. Carbon taxes and shuffling carbon credits around the world isn't really going to help with that.

Jupiter551 said:
OH! Well, if you two juggernauts of intellectual debate have decided the issue then I suppose the rest of us can just see ourselves out

I was just pointing out that after 80 odd posts you hadn't worked out that no one was actually disagreeing with you.

Yeah, go figure. Check your sources.

David Rose’s climate science writing shows he has not learned from previous mistakes

Articles in the Daily Mail show the same uncritical reliance on dodgy sources that caused David Rose’s catastrophic mistakes about Iraq.

You can divide people into two categories: those who learn from their mistakes and those who don’t. There is no third category: we all mess up from time to time.

Journalism is a mistake waiting to happen. With tight deadlines, big rewards for shock and awe and small rewards for methodical, less spectacular work, with an inverse relationship between volume and truth in public life, reporters tend to stumble from one accident to another.

The only hope journalists have of retaining any kind of self-respect is to question themselves repeatedly, ask whether they are being manipulated and whether they are seeing the whole story. So where does this leave David Rose?

More:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...lity-error-riddled-climate-science-reporting/

Don't blame you one bit for being skeptical.

It's nearly impossible to trust any so-called journalists anymore.

How many so-called journalists and politicians jumped all over the evil black gun in the D.C. shootings, when in fact, there was none?

Time will tell... when the actual reports come out.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager the article is true due to the facts we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.