AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

How Do You Pronounce the Word "Crayon"?

• "Cray-on" ("on" sounds like the beginning of the word "awning")

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • "Cray-an" ("an" sounds like the an sound in the word "ant")

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • "Cran" (like the first syllable of "cranberry")

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • "Crown" (like royalty wears)

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlairLuxe

Inactive Cam Model
Sep 22, 2014
I was involved in an argument about this today. I say "cray-on" like it is spelled, but the person I was arguing with says "cran". I remember being in kindergarten and hearing someone pronounce it like the word "crown" for the first time and seriously not knowing what the fuck they were talking about.

How do you pronounce it?

Reactions: DFT and FayePotato
Sober me: cray-yawn
Drunk me: crayoooooown
High me: who took the blue stubby one?

Oh man this again. Yesterday I was getting shit all day for saying "Awe-gust" for August. HOW THE EFF ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SAY IT.

But I think I say cray-ahn more than cray-awn...I picked the first one but I'm not sure what one that is.

Oh man this again. Yesterday I was getting shit all day for saying "Awe-gust" for August. HOW THE EFF ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SAY IT.

But I think I say cray-ahn more than cray-awn...I picked the first one but I'm not sure what one that is.
How the heck do you pronounce August if you don't say "awe-gust"? Unless you're from Boston (Ah-gest), but that's an accent thing. :shrug emote

Nah, it's totally Awe-gust. That other person is wrong, totally wrong. Yup...

Reactions: SaffronBurke
Cray-on if I'm talking to an adult, cran if I'm talking to a small child.

Also, wtf @LuckySmiles I can't think of another way to pronounce August. It's awe-gust, dammit! There's just no other way to pronounce that letter combination.

Cray-on if I'm talking to an adult, cran if I'm talking to a small child.

Also, wtf @LuckySmiles I can't think of another way to pronounce August. It's awe-gust, dammit! There's just no other way to pronounce that letter combination.

I think it's just one of those words where for me I have a bit more obvious of a NY accent so I was teased. Emphasis on Awww maybe idk.
Most of the time people don't notice any accent in me so the second I say something where it's obvious someone will point it out to me.
Otherwise people say it more like ahgust with a soft "a" or almost o sound like in "off" not like a bostonian..
But I'd also say "awf" for "off" so I really have no idea what I'm talking about anymore.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
Cray-yon, which is merely a derivative of cray-on.

Reactions: Gen
Sober me: cray-yawn
Drunk me: crayoooooown
High me: who took the blue stubby one?

High me has been known to fall back on, "That blue magic marker thingamajig."

• Funny!
Reactions: Rose
This is the most compelling thread of 2016.

Also I say cray-on. Though I can't recall the last time I needed to.

*runs to the store to buy crayons and a colouring book*

On is not like "awn" its like.. "on." the word on.
But for most Americans those are the same.

Edit: well, maybe not most. Hmm. I don't remember what the statistics are on the cot-caught merger.

I was involved in an argument about this today. I say "cray-on" like it is spelled, but the person I was arguing with says "cran". I remember being in kindergarten and hearing someone pronounce it like the word "crown" for the first time and seriously not knowing what the fuck they were talking about.

How do you pronounce it?

Who the heck says cran? lmao

ME. I SAY CRAN. Lmao.

I'm from the west coast.

Pretty sure "cran" was something I got teased for NOT saying when I moved to Indiana from Ontario. CRAYOOON? WHAT'S A CRAYOOOON? They also found it amusing when I said about, sorry, house, dollar... this list could go on forever, eh? To them, apparently it sounded like I was saying: aboot, soorry, hoose, doollor... Sorry you have no vowels besides schwa Midwest (when you don't just elide them completely). Maybe you should try em out so you don't have to specify "ink pen" to establish that you didn't mean "pin"? Nah, it's cool, but I'm not great at deciphering speech to begin with (sensory issues), so I really did have a hard time understanding certain people in the Midwest because of the more relaxed accent.

Pretty sure "cran" was something I got teased for NOT saying when I moved to Indiana from Ontario. CRAYOOON? WHAT'S A CRAYOOOON? They also found it amusing when I said about, sorry, house, dollar... this list could go on forever, eh? To them, apparently it sounded like I was saying: aboot, soorry, hoose, doollor... Sorry you have no vowels besides schwa Midwest (when you don't just elide them completely). Maybe you should try em out so you don't have to specify "ink pen" to establish that you didn't mean "pin"? Nah, it's cool, but I'm not great at deciphering speech to begin with (sensory issues), so I really did have a hard time understanding certain people in the Midwest because of the more relaxed accent.
I don't think I have ever heard pen described as a "pin" around ol' Wisconsin, so there's that at least.

I say both cray-on and crown depending on my level of soberness. I prefer colored pencils though so it's not something said often.

I blur cran and cray-on and also occasionally use them interchangeably.

I don't think I have ever heard pen described as a "pin" around ol' Wisconsin, so there's that at least.

Not described as, but in the part of Indiana I moved to pin/pen and bin/Ben etc. sounded pretty much the same. Which is why I imagine people in parts of the country say "ink pen" to be clear. They also said "dishwarsher"...

I say both cray-on and crown depending on my level of soberness. I prefer colored pencils though so it's not something said often.

In my part of Canada those were called pencil crayons. In parts of America they're called map pencils. And you can't colour anything else with them! Only maps! (I guess?)

Reactions: AuroraKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.