AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Gotomypc I'm scared I'm being watched with this

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1stclassfantasy

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Aug 11, 2015
USA
Twitter Username
@1stclassfantasy
Streamate Username
1stclassfantasy
I'm using a friend's laptop. I recently noticed gotomypc was installed around the time we agreed I could use his computer to cam. I can't afford to buy a new comp of my own for a few weeks. I'm repulsed he could be using this to watch me while I perform without my consent. Is there any way I can block gotomypc while I'm camming? I tried google but it wasn't helpful. Thanks!

Please tell me I started this thread in the right place!

I'm using a friend's laptop. I recently noticed gotomypc was installed around the time we agreed I could use his computer to cam. I can't afford to buy a new comp of my own for a few weeks. I'm repulsed he could be using this to watch me while I perform without my consent. Is there any way I can block gotomypc while I'm camming? I tried google but it wasn't helpful. Thanks!

Please tell me I started this thread in the right place!

If he knows where you cam, he could watch you without you knowing simply by logging on as a guest. So he'd have no need to install spyware or whatever on his own laptop.

Is this one of those programs that let you keep track of your pc? Like i have one on my phone where i can track it if it's ever lost or stolen and locate it. I obviously dont have it to spy on myself but to keep my stuff...well my stuff. Is it not possible that he did the same? Yes you're friends but that doesnt mean you couldnt take his laptop and never give it back and stuff ya know. Not accusing you of ever thinking of doing it but ive had friends steal shit from me before so it does happen. This could be his way of protecting himself.

Honestly, there's been a lot of warning signs that things are getting creepy with him. I probably wouldn't be bothered that the program is installed but I noticed it was installed a few days before I started camming. Seems like big coincidence. Maybe I'm being paranoid. With his behavior and the timing of the program being installed I think it's a good possibility something is going on.

Is this one of those programs that let you keep track of your pc? Like i have one on my phone where i can track it if it's ever lost or stolen and locate it. I obviously dont have it to spy on myself but to keep my stuff...well my stuff. Is it not possible that he did the same? Yes you're friends but that doesnt mean you couldnt take his laptop and never give it back and stuff ya know. Not accusing you of ever thinking of doing it but ive had friends steal shit from me before so it does happen. This could be his way of protecting himself.
I googled the program and it seems to be primarily used for doing things on your comp when you're not near it. It may be used for tracking as well though.

If he knows where you cam, he could watch you without you knowing simply by logging on as a guest. So he'd have no need to install spyware or whatever on his own laptop.
I had no idea you could log on without being physically near the comp.

Hmm well he could just want access to it and stuff on it while you have it but honestly I would look in to the program itself a lot more. Is it a key logger, able to open the webcam, listen in with audio, etc.

I can't speak for this program directly, but most programs similar to this will notify you in the task bar (bottom right by the clock) if there's someone connected to it. Other things you could do instead of uninstalling is to not have the program load during startup.

I can't speak for this program directly, but most programs similar to this will notify you in the task bar (bottom right by the clock) if there's someone connected to it. Other things you could do instead of uninstalling is to not have the program load during startup.
Just checked it's open in the task bar. I never noticed before. I feel like an idiot.

Hmm well he could just want access to it and stuff on it while you have it but honestly I would look in to the program itself a lot more. Is it a key logger, able to open the webcam, listen in with audio, etc.
Thanks. That's exactly what this program has the ability to do.

I wouldn't worry about it. If he was using it, you would know it instantly. I just installed it myself and accessed my computer from my tablet.

Several things notify you that it's being used when a remote device is connected. First, my wallpapers changed to a black screen, then a pop up box appeared in the lower right corner letting me know it was connected to a remote device. I could see NO WAY to disable that box in the preferences. So I don't think he could disable that box from popping up the entire time he would be connected.

[this is in the lower right corner the entire time it was connected from my tablet. Yes that's a dummy email address i used to set it up]
Screenshot - 9_7_2015 , 8_13_40 PM.png

Also if he is connected at all and he even touches his screen on a phone or tablet, or moves the mouse on his other computer, it would move the mouse on your computer too. So you would see the mouse moving around on its own.

You really would notice if it was ever connected.

But if you're still worried you could always go into the control panel, click on programs and features. Then find 'gotomypc' in the list of installed programs and click on the 'change' at the top of the list. That will ask if you're sure you want to uninstall it. Click yes and it's gone. It's easy to reinstall for him later when you give it back.

The icon in the started task is always there if it's installed. That being there does not mean it has someone connected. Only if you see the pop up box is that happening.

I wouldn't worry about it. If he was using it, you would know it instantly. I just installed it myself and accessed my computer from my tablet.

Several things notify you that it's being used when a remote device is connected. First, my wallpapers changed to a black screen, then a pop up box appeared in the lower right corner letting me know it was connected to a remote device. I could see NO WAY to disable that box in the preferences. So I don't think he could disable that box from popping up the entire time he would be connected.

[this is in the lower right corner the entire time it was connected from my tablet. Yes that's a dummy email address i used to set it up]
View attachment 57137

Also if he is connected at all and he even touches his screen on a phone or tablet, or moves the mouse on his other computer, it would move the mouse on your computer too. So you would see the mouse moving around on its own.

You really would notice if it was ever connected.

But if you're still worried you could always go into the control panel, click on programs and features. Then find 'gotomypc' in the list of installed programs and click on the 'change' at the top of the list. That will ask if you're sure you want to uninstall it. Click yes and it's gone. It's easy to reinstall for him later when you give it back.

The icon in the started task is always there if it's installed. That being there does not mean it has someone connected. Only if you see the pop up box is that happening.
Thank you so much. I was having a serious freak out. Nausea and everything. I couldn't see the attachment but I believe you. There have been several other things going on with him so I may have jumped to conclusions to soon about this. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. I never would have noticed the program was installed but when shutting down it asked if I wanted to force shut down mypc. So I started snooping. The only other place I noticed it was in the task bar.

Thank you so much. I was having a serious freak out. Nausea and everything. I couldn't see the attachment but I believe you. There have been several other things going on with him so I may have jumped to conclusions to soon about this. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. I never would have noticed the program was installed but when shutting down it asked if I wanted to force shut down mypc. So I started snooping. The only other place I noticed it was in the task bar.

I messed up posting it the first time. If you refresh the page now and look at the post I went back in and reposted it to it. Should see it now.

• Helpful!
Reactions: 1stclassfantasy
If you're worried about him "spying" on you when you're not camming, simply cover the camera lens with a piece of paper taped over it.
As far as him watching you cam, as Bob said he could just log onto the site as a guest and watch.

Reactions: JickyJuly
The innocent explanation would be that he still has some of his own stuff on the laptop or fears he might, and installed it in case he needed to get to it. Note that that would still entail calling/texting you and asking you to turn the laptop on, make sure it's connected to the internet, and then not touch anything while he remotely controlled it to get at whatever he needed to.

As Jerry said, it's very much designed for remote access vs monitoring.

I didn't realize that's
On a different computer/phone/tablet, I mean. He wouldn't need to have access to the laptop he let you borrow in order to watch you cam.
I didn't realize what you meant at first. I know that's a possibility but the creep factor goes up if he's helping me so that he can watch me. I won't have to worry about that anymore, I bought a new computer. Wasn't in my budget but well worth it to cam worry free. Big thanks to everyone that took the time to reply! I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.