AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How long does it take for things to... not suck?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2018
Hey everyone! I'm very new to camming; today is my 10th day on Chaturbate. I've been modeling for photos and videos for over a year, but only recently decided to get into live camming as well, and for the most part, it's been enjoyable. However, I'm starting to get really concerned about how much I'm making and even how many viewers I can get into my room... I've cammed every day except 1 the past 10 days, sometimes twice a day at different times (afternoon and night), and I've tried to be consistent and I always stay on for at least an hour, usually 2.5-3.5 hours. Almost every show has been very unique from the others. I've used apps and bots, played games with viewers, danced for an hour straight, worn a different outfit every time, done multiple couple shows with my partner, stuck to a tip menu, chatted and smiled with viewers, had different deals, did a shower show, always used an HD camera... I can't even name all the things I've tried. Honestly, I don't at all mean to sound like I have a chip on my shoulder, but I definitely did my research and as far as I can tell from every advice article I've read, I'm going above and beyond what should be considered "enough" to get things going. Yet I've had nights where I was lucky to make $5. My absolute best night, I didn't even make $100. Oftentimes, I'll have less than 20 viewers at a time. Or I'll have hundreds, but literally no one will be tipping even a single token. It's starting to really wear me down, feeling like I'm just not worth it. Everything I've read says that an attractive, fun, young woman who does high-quality shows should make AT LEAST $100 in a night on a bad day. Am I being impatient? How long does it normally take before you can expect to be making at least a living wage during shows? I just signed off from a show where I literally made 1 token (which is 5 cents). I feel horrible, honestly. If I'm just not cut out for this for whatever reason, I'd rather know now and not waste my time. I REALLY want to do this and I'm excited to put in the effort, but if the viewers are trying to tell me they aren't interested, I'd like to spare myself the embarrassment. Making .5/hour is just humiliating. Is this normal for newbies? Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do? Did it get better? Any advice that I maybe haven't already read elsewhere would be wonderful, please. Sorry for the novel; I'm feeling so embarrassed right now and could really use some guidance. I feel like I must just not be... good.

I'm not an experienced camgirl (yet), but from what I've seen, for most camgirls out there, it will take more than 10 days for things to get ''good enough''. For sure it will vary from person to person, also it depends how much time one spends online, but from what I could notice on the forum, girls who started out around the same time as me (this summer) are not getting 100$ most nights yet. There might be exceptions for sure.

Since you don't have access to the Models Only section of the forums, you might not be able to see most threads dealing with this. If you intend on persevering with camming, you might want to get model-verified, which would give you access to tons of relevant information and threads dealing with beginner hardships and difficulties! :)

I know it's not nice when your pay ends up being way less than minimum wage, but it usually gets better for people who put effort and patience! For me it's starting to pick up and I've been doing it 2 months part-time (max 10h per week). Still, I've had more than 100$/night only once if I remember well!

Hey everyone! I'm very new to camming; today is my 10th day on Chaturbate. I've been modeling for photos and videos for over a year, but only recently decided to get into live camming as well, and for the most part, it's been enjoyable. However, I'm starting to get really concerned about how much I'm making and even how many viewers I can get into my room... I've cammed every day except 1 the past 10 days, sometimes twice a day at different times (afternoon and night), and I've tried to be consistent and I always stay on for at least an hour, usually 2.5-3.5 hours. Almost every show has been very unique from the others. I've used apps and bots, played games with viewers, danced for an hour straight, worn a different outfit every time, done multiple couple shows with my partner, stuck to a tip menu, chatted and smiled with viewers, had different deals, did a shower show, always used an HD camera... I can't even name all the things I've tried. Honestly, I don't at all mean to sound like I have a chip on my shoulder, but I definitely did my research and as far as I can tell from every advice article I've read, I'm going above and beyond what should be considered "enough" to get things going. Yet I've had nights where I was lucky to make $5. My absolute best night, I didn't even make $100. Oftentimes, I'll have less than 20 viewers at a time. Or I'll have hundreds, but literally no one will be tipping even a single token. It's starting to really wear me down, feeling like I'm just not worth it. Everything I've read says that an attractive, fun, young woman who does high-quality shows should make AT LEAST $100 in a night on a bad day. Am I being impatient? How long does it normally take before you can expect to be making at least a living wage during shows? I just signed off from a show where I literally made 1 token (which is 5 cents). I feel horrible, honestly. If I'm just not cut out for this for whatever reason, I'd rather know now and not waste my time. I REALLY want to do this and I'm excited to put in the effort, but if the viewers are trying to tell me they aren't interested, I'd like to spare myself the embarrassment. Making .5/hour is just humiliating. Is this normal for newbies? Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do? Did it get better? Any advice that I maybe haven't already read elsewhere would be wonderful, please. Sorry for the novel; I'm feeling so embarrassed right now and could really use some guidance. I feel like I must just not be... good.

You need to get your times right and your patience up. Ten days in camland is nothing. You can’t judge how well you will do with a 10 day sample. You need to cam consistently for at least 3 months to see your situation clearly.

Then stream length: 1 hour, 2 hours on Chaturbate is not enough time for a stream. You need to allow time for people to realize you are on cam, new people to find you, room buildup and momentum gathering. Aim to do 4 hours as a minimum with an ideal of 6 hours on cam at a stretch. I am a popular model and I spend the first hour simply greeting people. The “main dish” portion of my show starts on hour 3 or 4. My streams are 5-7 hours long.

That said competition is harder than ever and you might want to try your luck at MFC because they do have a “new model” section they prominently feature unlike CB

My streams are 5-7 hours long.
So much respect, I'm dead tired after 4 hours.

That said competition is harder than ever and you might want to try your luck at MFC because they do have a “new model” section they prominently feature unlike CB
@PrincessLacy
It's much easier to get noticed when you're new on MFC, because of the above mentioned.
But you really need to make the most of that week you're in the spotlight, because after that you're on your own.
CB has really tough competition and it's hard to get noticed at the beginning, where MFC has that instant gratification of immediate results for the first week. But once you don't have the new model banner it is a lot harder to get traffic again.
Building traffic really only comes with consistency and effort, find your niche/flow and your room will come

Honestly, it's just the nature of the business, it takes a while to start breaking even. A lot of girls will work a part time job at the beginning so the burden isn't too much. Even after a year you'll have days that you can't seem to make 20$
Money consistency is a MAJOR con of this job, but after you've been at it for a while you'll learn to take the good with the bad and accept it.

i started on CB, it ended up not being my fav, so i switched sites. for me it was because i preferred more interaction & conversation. but anyways. i started out making about $25-40 a night. it was okay. i think you're doing everything right. just make sure you're interacting a lot! it sounds like you are, but just making sure. i started out camming like 2 hours or so, and then i realized that wasn't jack shit. i worked myself up to more hours because i wanted more money. now i work 8-13hours just online almost every day. long hours helps. sometimes it'll take an hour or so for people to come in a first. just talk to yourself, dance around, smile even if you're bored out of your mind. someone will come in and they will apprecitate you. they will appreciate your effort and your time. hope this helps a bit.

It just takes a while! I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of my hours, $, average hourly etc (total data nerd hello) for each pay period, and for the whole time I've been camming (only really since very late August, and with big gaps, so I'm still learning too) and now that it's picking up it's SUCH a difference from even a month or two ago, and a lot of it for me has come down to getting some regulars who seek me out when I'm on, and also just logging more hours per session- my hourly average paycheck goes up with more hours, not just cumulatively because of being on longer, if that makes sense.

Also, do you do privates? If you're comfortable with it, it can be a huge boon because the tokens are racking up while you do your thing. I rarely get a very high room count, I am sure I'm FAR from the front page, but privates are basically the reason I can pay a lot of my bills. Sometimes if it's a busy night I'll put them off for an hour or two so I can get more followers, public chat tips etc, but if I have to cam at a slow time like the morning it totally saves the day for me.

I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of my hours, $, average hourly etc (total data nerd hello) for each pay period

I do that too!! I find it's really been helpful in staying motivated because you can see the improvement day after day (or from month to month)...it doesn't take too much time, I think the longest for me is to copy paste ALLL the tips in my sheet and remove the tip comments, so I can easily calculate my top tippers of the month! :cat:

Sometimes if it's a busy night I'll put them off for an hour or two so I can get more followers, public chat tips etc, but if I have to cam at a slow time like the morning it totally saves the day for me.

I used to be afraid of leaving a full room (more than 150 users) while I'm doing a private, but if nothing is going on anyway (no tipper and no conversation), I realized it's not too bad. I mean yes a lot of people will go away, but at least it's time where you're actually making consistent money...also if you allow spying, you might make more money during the private since you have more potential spies in the room! ;) That's what happened to me the other day, so now I don't hesitate as much when I have a private opportunity in a full but quiet room! Honestly, even if I'm having a conversation, I simply tell them I'll be back and nobody held it against me. I mean, I think they should understand I'm there to make money and if no one tips, well...

also if you allow spying, you might make more money during the private since you have more potential spies in the room! ;) That's what happened to me the other day, so now I don't hesitate as much when I have a private opportunity in a full but quiet room! Honestly, even if I'm having a conversation, I simply tell them I'll be back and nobody held it against me. I mean, I think they should understand I'm there to make money and if no one tips, well...

Totally! Also I've found when I look back at stats later, or sometimes when they tell me, that sometimes people who are waiting to be next for a private will spy on the current show, so more money and also it's kind of like advertising. And yeah, I usually announce once I'm ready to do privates, or that i'll be doing them in x minutes or whatever, so people are usually not surprised when I am suddenly temporarily gone!

Reactions: Lunasha
I'm a little late to the party, but I'm glad I found this thread, because I'm feeling exactly the same way. It's a real hit to the ego, scrolling through looking for tips and realizing that other newbies have been making "low" numbers of a couple hundred a week...while you're making pennies. I really hope things have improved for you since then! And I'm glad you shared, because it's a relief knowing I'm not the only one who has gone through this.

Hey, I’m late too, but for you and anyone else having trouble: I would really recommend trying a private-based site like Streamate. I started making $20 an hour my very first day, and then worked up from there. I’ve tried tips based sites like MFC and Chaturbate and I was like you, I could barely make $5 an hour that way. But with a private based site, people are more straightforward, you get paid by the minute and it doesn’t take a whole ton of effort, just a good attitude and some light teasing in free chat to attract browsing customers. Plus you can still get tips on Streamate, it’s just not the primary earning method.

Has anyone mentioned #s? Very very very important on CB. Many girls just use all of the most popular ones just to compete, real or not. Also, make clips! Clip making has become my bread and butter, and doesn't make me feel cheap and unloved when my live room isn't paying for anything. I do not cater to freeloading assholes any more, my time and mental health are worth much more than that, even though they can make it seem otherwise somedays. Fuck em.

Edit: Also, NITEFLIRT! Try it! You're being paid for every damn second you actually work when you're on Niteflirt (so long as you do NOT answer free mail or people that try to talk to you on Skype once they do their first call with you- make them talk to you in paid chat)

Keep at it for sure :) but don’t be afraid to try a different website. I would try Myfreecams. Streamate is good too and more predictable income, if you’re open to doing a wide variety of sexual and fetish things in private shows. Earnings on Myfreecams vary wildly but you have more ability to make the show your own and do what you want. This might be controversial advice, but I firmly believe that doing what makes you happiest on cam is what will make you successful in the long run. If you’re enjoying yourself, people can see that and suddenly, you’re not just another cam girl doing the usual tip menu and apps and bots and hustles. You’re someone they are drawn to because there is a light in your eyes. Don’t underestimate the power of that light.

I used to try all the games and all the things and had some struggles on tip based sites. I’ve been a cam model on and off since 2015 and it wasn’t till 2017 that I really look my own advice here and did what I wanted to on cam. I like to talk, out loud. Like a talk show. I just talked and talked about whatever I wanted to , if there was no one talking back, I told stories about my life, my personal growth, anything. I decided I didn’t like doing private messages or tip menus or countdowns so I didn’t! I just talked and offered what I did enjoy : videos, custom videos, and private shows. I found success through this.

I’ve seen models play the piano on cam mostly. Whatever your thing is. My advice would to be to find it and the rest will follow.

Hey, I’m late too, but for you and anyone else having trouble: I would really recommend trying a private-based site like Streamate. I started making $20 an hour my very first day, and then worked up from there. I’ve tried tips based sites like MFC and Chaturbate and I was like you, I could barely make $5 an hour that way. But with a private based site, people are more straightforward, you get paid by the minute and it doesn’t take a whole ton of effort, just a good attitude and some light teasing in free chat to attract browsing customers. Plus you can still get tips on Streamate, it’s just not the primary earning method.

I just started with SM and it's way better! I feel like Chaturbate and to a certain extent MFC rely so heavily on having a large following to move up the ranks that it can be a bit of a catch-22. I'm way less stressed about that now! :D

I am having the same issue on Chatturbate, barely make $1.00 a day somedays, I have been on the site for a couple of weeks now, although I am guilty, i have not been consistent with being online until today, i am sticking to a schedule for now on, today I stayed on for 4 hours and did receive some tips after being on for an hour, the last two hours it did pick up. Everyone keeps talking about Streamate, I do belong to them as well, but have not been on their for a month now, mainly have been concentrating on CB at the moment.

Thanks for posting about this. I just joined MFC and I'm gonna give it a shot first but this kind of sounds more like my jam... hopefully I make a killing lol

• Hugs
Reactions: AnnaWasted
Also check your internet speeds and fps maybe record or watch and show and see how you look to viewers i realised my computer was really loud and thats why i was getting no viewers in my room

Ive been on cb for about 6 months now and my worst nights have been 25 an hour aus dollars but when i was on mfc i had nights similar to yours my first week on cb i was making 50 to 70 an hour i think cb is more sexual my room doesnt start to get busy until i start doing something sexual so it can start off a lot slower also my lush is the main reason ppl tip me on cb dont know where id be without it lol maybe try another site i think mfc is a little less sexual it might work better for you

• Helpful!
Reactions: FoxyDame
I am way more experienced on the phone side and clip production side of things but I have done a bunch of cam too. I would highly suggest increasing those times to well over 2-5 hours if you can to start. I know Alex Coal did a video about how she got her start in camming and she did 90 days straight, no breaks with consistent times for 2-4 hours a show. Sometimes guys get the notification that you are on and need time to get to you. I know that is true in the phone ho world!

10 days is not really all that much time as other girls have said but I am saying it too to add that it is not just them but all seasoned vets know that. If bills are becoming an issue, a part time job is highly recommended! I also have done a ton of twitch and really no matter if we are playing games, vlogging or taking our clothes off it is the same. Regulars and lurkers who love us are the bread and butter. TO get them though, we have to build them over time and be consistent. It is like snowfall, one day you will look up and see flurries, and then a thin layer but it builds swiftly after that!

Status
Not open for further replies.