AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Wonder Woman

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder Woman was the first DC movie I liked since like... Batman Dark Knight. I saw the third Batman movie, Suicide Squad, Batman vs. Superman and Wonder Woman was even the best part of that movie! I could have done without so much love story between her and Steve (that's mainly just a personal preference though, when it comes to superhero movies I feel like love stories just end up being some extra motivation for the good guy to defeat the bad guy who they are obviously going to defeat anyways and to add run time) but the scene with her going through No Man's Land? O h m y gosh. So good. :happy:

Wonder Woman is the only superhero movie I have ever liked. I think this is because I don't know much about her aside from her appearances in the Superfriends animated stuff. I don't really have a history with her so I am loving how the writers treated her. I don't even think I own a comic with her as the main character which probably helped. Awesome visuals. Loved the story (WW1). I loved the acting too. I don't know much about the actor playing her but whoever it was was pretty convincing.

Not trying to be a jerk, but who do you think of when you think of as women who should be valued in the Marvel Universe? Who needs to shine?
shehulk_cover1_web_by_kevinwada-d6ubycj.jpg

Would also looooove a Young Avengers movie featuring Miss America and Hawkeye. And I'd like to see Miss Marvel team up with Captain Marvel in the movie :inlove:

(I'm not @JizzyJezebel but I wanted to throw in my two cents too)

Reactions: n_i_c_u
Hey Gen! Yeah! I gotta agree about She Hulk. Hell, I would love to see her in a movie kicking the ass of all those b-villains (with more of a story arc to more dramatic stuff) she had to face in her first series run. She faced some weird villains (Howard the Duck kind of villains), but, loveable as far as villains can go at the same time.

First time I ever met her was when she met Hawkeye when she joined the Avengers:

b54065df5b9e1e018d2bbc52b8687785--she-hulk-marvel-comics.jpg

John Byrne went on to make her a member of the Fantastic Four and then she went on to kick ass in her own series. YEAH, she is totally worthy of Hollywood (probably moreso than a lot of other projects).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gen
I think She-Hulk has been attempted a few different times in various means to be put in the spotlight. Each time, it just falters. The problem with Marvel is that, aside from a couple of characters, none stand out like Wonder Woman does. Marvel's flaw was that they primarily made women characters either as a partner to someone else, or as a secondary character. The majority of the standalone female characters are very weak in story &/or just didn't pan out well in the comics.

As an FYI, here's Marvel's index to all female characters:

http://marvel.com/universe/Category:Women#axzz4mlWqeog2

I think She-Hulk has been attempted a few different times in various means to be put in the spotlight. Each time, it just falters.

I could think that would have happened before Wonder Woman (Hollywood is a strange animal) but I wouldn't doubt if they are rethinking things.

Also, again not to be a jerk, but, what are the sources that make you think She-Hulk has been attempted (you are probably waiting for someone to ask you this)?

I could think that would have happened before Wonder Woman (Hollywood is a strange animal) but I wouldn't doubt if they are rethinking things.

Also, again not to be a jerk, but, what are the sources that make you think She-Hulk has been attempted (you are probably waiting for someone to ask you this)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Hulk

The history of She-Hulk has been very sporadic. They rebooted the comics multiple times, put her in as a supporting character for different groups (Avengers, etc). It may be a little different now. But, honestly, I really don't see it happening with any success close to what Wonder Woman is. I've followed most of the Marvel Universe from the late 70's through the mid 90's fairly passionately.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be cool to see another female superhero movie do quite well. But, I just don't see it happening with She-Hulk.

• Helpful!
Well, yeah, Wonder Woman is in a league of her own. There is no female Marvel character that comes even close to her legacy. But, the MCU didn't build their back on Marvel's darlings (who would've imagined a Spider-Man movie using Iron Man as a selling point?) and so I think now, they could do something great with She-Hulk, even if it's not Wondy levels of iconic. A She-Hulk show on Netflix would also be awesome.

The MCU has enough clout that they should be able to make a decent return on basically any movie they make, superstar character or not. Just put Tony Stark in the trailer and people will realize it's Avengers-related and go see it. :p

I liked this movie, and I'm not much of a fan of most of the super hero movies coming out lately. I was a little sad Wonder Woman wasn't more muscular, like others have said, but to be fair Ares wasn't terribly buff either and he was the god of war so...I guess it works. It seemed a little long near the end, but dammit if I didn't cry like a baby at the plane scene.

I just watched half of this movie with my boyfriend to try to give it a fair chance, we were both so bored that we couldn't continue. I don't understand what people mean when they say it's a great movie, the acting was horrific as was the writing. I liked some of the Amazon scenes and I liked the two girls they picked to play younger Diana, I thought they had a nice feeling of being bright, fierce while also being pretty yet real girls. As soon as Gal came in it just seemed completely unrealistic. She's an appalling actress, she can pull facial expressions to a point but her body language is way off and she didn't seem at all believable as a character. I also felt she seemed like a weak and rather stupid character, lots of pouting with mouth open and looking lost or tilting her head to one side like a puppy. It then felt like she was just being belittled and sexualised by all of those "idiot men", which may have been the point, but actually it just felt depressing rather than empowering to watch. And the type of sexualisation and shock horror from the men was not realistic, it felt like play acting, or even like the writer was trying to appease women on what he thought we go through, rather than actually believing in those situations. Which makes sense as they picked a male writer.
Not only that, but why did they make up all that stuff about how the Amazons came about? Zeus created the Amazons to sex men up and stop them from fighting? Not only in what world is that supposed to be empowering, but it also does not follow any Mythology I have read on the Amazons, nor does it follow the original story of Wonder Woman. While the story has changed through the years, I can see no benefit from this. It turns Amazonian warriors into merely creations for male entertainment who then fought back for freedom and were given it by their all powerful male god.
It also felt like Chris Pine waltzed in and made it all about his mission to stop the evil woman who dared to work in STEM and therefore must use it for evil, though nice of Chris to remind us a bunch of times that he is an above average man.

I feel like maybe people keep saying nice things about Gal Gadot's acting because they don't want to shit all over such a large female lead role and make out that she wasn't fit for it. They don't want to insult her and be deemed unfeminist or something. Same with the whole movie, big step up being a female director, except it wasn't really her film. In some films direction is important as the director might pick the people they work with, in this case I don't think that is true. The whole film had Zak Snyder right behind it, and they clearly hired a woman because they knew it would sell (and it did). But that means that she wouldn't have been in a position to really throw her weight around and push for what she wanted, so to say it's a film made by women is ridiculous. And besides the first scenes on the island it seems that the film becomes dominated by men.
It may be a superhero film, but that doesn't mean the characters don't need to feel real or relatable. Gal Gadot since has been painted as a role model or a feminist hero, but I do not see how living through a career based around your looks and then snagging a lead role based on your looks is an empowering or healthy role model for young women. She does occasionally seem strong willed, but her beauty and looks seem to come first in every scene I watched. She also seemed to back down or obey easily when told to do something by a man. When putting this against say Scarlett Johansson's black widow it looks pretty pitiful. Granted Scarlet has a lot more experience as an actress, but she managed to be beautiful and sexy while not seeming like she's trying to be sexy. Or even Daisy Ridley playing Rey in the new star wars, she looked beautiful in a completely "I don't give a fuck" way. As Diana is not supposed to have ever been exposed to men it would make sense if she had a much more practical and straight forward persona, rather than the sensual, delicately sexy and elegant Gal, which having been to all girls school I can tell you that women do not act like away from the presence of men or if they have not had consistent exposure to getting what they want from men by acting that way.
I don't know if anyone else felt this too, but I felt it misunderstood what feminism is evolving into and more seemed like what some men think feminists want. For example it was pretty insulting to men, like the men were atrociously rude to her in a way that I doubt would have been the case. Sure, people were sexist by culture, but it would not have been seen as acceptable to talk about and to women in such an unpleasant way, especially not a lady. They kept referring to her as a "woman" as though it was a bad term, while she probably would have been called a young lady which is way more respectful. I really resent the attitude that for women to become empowered you have to make men look stupid. Why can we not all be empowered? It's the same attitude that someone says to a curvy girl "skinny girls are disgusting, you are a REAL woman", it's not complimentary and it's unnecessary. Treating men in such a way also ignores that there would have been men who did believe in women's rights and had respect for women's abilities. The whole secretary thing for example, at the time being a working woman in that position would have been a well respected position, so I doubt the other woman would have lacked pride in it or would have enjoyed the comment that she was a slave. "Oh hoho, how funny that you've belittled my existance in a matter of words!" Why Diana did not understand the concept of someone doing a job beats me yet knew what slaves were, she had a teacher when she was a child, and doesn't seem like her mother would have been home cooking meals. Legit, the questions were just stupid "why are they holding hands?" "what is marriage?", like seriously Diana? Hundreds of languages, thousands of years with fuck all to do (which conveniently are made to look like 30 years went past since the ancient greeks and world war 1), you've learned all about sex and you don't know that? Marriage existed in Greek mythology, girl had no excuse to be so brain-dead.

Am I crazy or did anyone else notice any of this stuff? I can see if you had no expectations it could be a mildly entertaining film or a bit of fun in the cinema, and maybe it starts to get really good after the slow start, I will see if I get to it, but I dislike that it has made so much money primarily due to the novelty of being marketed as a feminist/female pride film, when it is anything but empowering to women.

Reactions: Gen
I just watched half of this movie with my boyfriend to try to give it a fair chance, we were both so bored that we couldn't continue. I don't understand what people mean when they say it's a great movie, the acting was horrific as was the writing. I liked some of the Amazon scenes and I liked the two girls they picked to play younger Diana, I thought they had a nice feeling of being bright, fierce while also being pretty yet real girls. As soon as Gal came in it just seemed completely unrealistic. She's an appalling actress, she can pull facial expressions to a point but her body language is way off and she didn't seem at all believable as a character. I also felt she seemed like a weak and rather stupid character, lots of pouting with mouth open and looking lost or tilting her head to one side like a puppy. It then felt like she was just being belittled and sexualised by all of those "idiot men", which may have been the point, but actually it just felt depressing rather than empowering to watch. And the type of sexualisation and shock horror from the men was not realistic, it felt like play acting, or even like the writer was trying to appease women on what he thought we go through, rather than actually believing in those situations. Which makes sense as they picked a male writer.
Not only that, but why did they make up all that stuff about how the Amazons came about? Zeus created the Amazons to sex men up and stop them from fighting? Not only in what world is that supposed to be empowering, but it also does not follow any Mythology I have read on the Amazons, nor does it follow the original story of Wonder Woman. While the story has changed through the years, I can see no benefit from this. It turns Amazonian warriors into merely creations for male entertainment who then fought back for freedom and were given it by their all powerful male god.
It also felt like Chris Pine waltzed in and made it all about his mission to stop the evil woman who dared to work in STEM and therefore must use it for evil, though nice of Chris to remind us a bunch of times that he is an above average man.

I feel like maybe people keep saying nice things about Gal Gadot's acting because they don't want to shit all over such a large female lead role and make out that she wasn't fit for it. They don't want to insult her and be deemed unfeminist or something. Same with the whole movie, big step up being a female director, except it wasn't really her film. In some films direction is important as the director might pick the people they work with, in this case I don't think that is true. The whole film had Zak Snyder right behind it, and they clearly hired a woman because they knew it would sell (and it did). But that means that she wouldn't have been in a position to really throw her weight around and push for what she wanted, so to say it's a film made by women is ridiculous. And besides the first scenes on the island it seems that the film becomes dominated by men.
It may be a superhero film, but that doesn't mean the characters don't need to feel real or relatable. Gal Gadot since has been painted as a role model or a feminist hero, but I do not see how living through a career based around your looks and then snagging a lead role based on your looks is an empowering or healthy role model for young women. She does occasionally seem strong willed, but her beauty and looks seem to come first in every scene I watched. She also seemed to back down or obey easily when told to do something by a man. When putting this against say Scarlett Johansson's black widow it looks pretty pitiful. Granted Scarlet has a lot more experience as an actress, but she managed to be beautiful and sexy while not seeming like she's trying to be sexy. Or even Daisy Ridley playing Rey in the new star wars, she looked beautiful in a completely "I don't give a fuck" way. As Diana is not supposed to have ever been exposed to men it would make sense if she had a much more practical and straight forward persona, rather than the sensual, delicately sexy and elegant Gal, which having been to all girls school I can tell you that women do not act like away from the presence of men or if they have not had consistent exposure to getting what they want from men by acting that way.
I don't know if anyone else felt this too, but I felt it misunderstood what feminism is evolving into and more seemed like what some men think feminists want. For example it was pretty insulting to men, like the men were atrociously rude to her in a way that I doubt would have been the case. Sure, people were sexist by culture, but it would not have been seen as acceptable to talk about and to women in such an unpleasant way, especially not a lady. They kept referring to her as a "woman" as though it was a bad term, while she probably would have been called a young lady which is way more respectful. I really resent the attitude that for women to become empowered you have to make men look stupid. Why can we not all be empowered? It's the same attitude that someone says to a curvy girl "skinny girls are disgusting, you are a REAL woman", it's not complimentary and it's unnecessary. Treating men in such a way also ignores that there would have been men who did believe in women's rights and had respect for women's abilities. The whole secretary thing for example, at the time being a working woman in that position would have been a well respected position, so I doubt the other woman would have lacked pride in it or would have enjoyed the comment that she was a slave. "Oh hoho, how funny that you've belittled my existance in a matter of words!" Why Diana did not understand the concept of someone doing a job beats me yet knew what slaves were, she had a teacher when she was a child, and doesn't seem like her mother would have been home cooking meals. Legit, the questions were just stupid "why are they holding hands?" "what is marriage?", like seriously Diana? Hundreds of languages, thousands of years with fuck all to do (which conveniently are made to look like 30 years went past since the ancient greeks and world war 1), you've learned all about sex and you don't know that? Marriage existed in Greek mythology, girl had no excuse to be so brain-dead.

Am I crazy or did anyone else notice any of this stuff? I can see if you had no expectations it could be a mildly entertaining film or a bit of fun in the cinema, and maybe it starts to get really good after the slow start, I will see if I get to it, but I dislike that it has made so much money primarily due to the novelty of being marketed as a feminist/female pride film, when it is anything but empowering to women.
Well you really have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy the movie, there is a lot stuff in it that makes no sense. From what you have written I don't think you are going to enjoy the rest of the movie.

Sometimes, it's best to "just watch" a movie. Stop all critical thinking. Go in without any preconceived notions, no politically correct thoughts on what one sees as right/wrong, political stance, etc. Truly an open mind on watching a movie.

There are times where one's own views, beliefs, etc. get in the way of enjoying things. Especially when it comes to movies since they are the product of one person's views, interpretations, etc and rarely are they 100% believable nor in line with everyone's political views. Especially when it comes to superhero movies.

This doesn't mean that I completely agree with this movie, as there are many parts I disliked and commented on above.

Reactions: AlexaCrush
Sometimes, it's best to "just watch" a movie. Stop all critical thinking. Go in without any preconceived notions, no politically correct thoughts on what one sees as right/wrong, political stance, etc. Truly an open mind on watching a movie.

There are times where one's own views, beliefs, etc. get in the way of enjoying things. Especially when it comes to movies since they are the product of one person's views, interpretations, etc and rarely are they 100% believable nor in line with everyone's political views. Especially when it comes to superhero movies.

This doesn't mean that I completely agree with this movie, as there are many parts I disliked and commented on above.

I don't think I would have enjoyed it even had it not been painted and marketed as a great move forward for women, or had I not loved the original wonder woman character. The film is fundamentally sexist through basically every part that I watched, and it wasn't to do with being set in a certain era, it was just the writing and production came across as sexist as well as a being pretty racist. Lots of harmful stereotypes of people from different cultures. Basically the only "good guy" (or one who seemed to know what was going on) seemed to be the American guy. I thought Diana was made to look like the stereotype of the erratic, hysterical and out of control woman who needed to be shhed multiple times by the man as she's messing up his plan, rather than her being the strong and aware one of the group carrying out her own mission. I mean seriously, why is an ancient goddess even trying to communicate with beings that she knows are less powerful and intelligent than her and believes are under the control of her enemy? It makes no sense. She is a princess, as though she has any concept of answering to the wishes of men (or anyone except her mother). It also makes no sense that she would give a fuck about some mission about stopping poison gas being created seeing as if Aery's were at large some scientist creating a fairly small time weapon would be basically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. And why does the Chris Pine character not seem to believe her and is focusing on his mission over hers? He has seen her magical island and has seen that she clearly has badass superpowers. He has also seen those women kicking arse, so how come he is so surprised that she can fight? Possibly because on the beach after thousands of years of training hard for battle instead of reacting to a male invader she strokes his face like she's a 16 year old mermaid before wandering around the beach confused and completely vulnerable as her sisters get attacked, only to be saved by said man with infinitely less fighting experience than her. I get it, it's new and all, but with that mindset every new soldier would be wandering around battle like lost puppies with targets on their backs.

To say stop critically thinking about this giant slap in the face of a movie is a similar mindset of politicians and religious types who tell women they should just "enjoy" being raped, or that women should see sexual harassment as flattering. I'm sorry, no, I will not switch off my brain like a good girl and try to enjoy watching a few hours of blatant sexism. I will not pretend I enjoy it because the men who wanted to make the film kindly allowed a female director to come in because it improved their marketing campaign as though that makes the blatant sexism ok. And I'm not going to act as though Gal Gadot has any acting skill simply because she's a woman in a lead role as a superhero.

What's irritating is that every man who has pointed this out publicly seems to have been bashed for "not being female" and has then been accused of sexism. Even women have told other women they should love the movie because they're women and tell them off for criticising it. It's like people are terrified of giving it an honest review and being treated like some awful sexist. Why can men not have an opinion on sexism against women? Some men actually pay attention to this stuff and care about the women in their lives. It bothers me that women are shutting them down when we should be inviting men in to discuss this sort of thing.
It's up to everyone whether they enjoy this movie or not, but it makes me sad that so many women either have such a shitty experience in life and such low expectations from films that they believe this is what liberation and empowerment looks like, or they will believe any media ad campaign and then sing its praises. Enjoy it or not, I hope that more women become aware that the film is nothing to do with feminism and Gal Gadot is not a feminist icon. She is a former beauty queen and supermodel who trained in a compulsory army that is very anti women's rights who got a lead role because of her looks. When she starts campaigning anything positive about women's rights maybe she will be, but so far she seems to just be keen on advertising her movie.

I don't think I would have enjoyed it even had it not been painted and marketed as a great move forward for women, or had I not loved the original wonder woman character. The film is fundamentally sexist through basically every part that I watched, and it wasn't to do with being set in a certain era, it was just the writing and production came across as sexist as well as a being pretty racist. Lots of harmful stereotypes of people from different cultures. Basically the only "good guy" (or one who seemed to know what was going on) seemed to be the American guy. I thought Diana was made to look like the stereotype of the erratic, hysterical and out of control woman who needed to be shhed multiple times by the man as she's messing up his plan, rather than her being the strong and aware one of the group carrying out her own mission. I mean seriously, why is an ancient goddess even trying to communicate with beings that she knows are less powerful and intelligent than her and believes are under the control of her enemy? It makes no sense. She is a princess, as though she has any concept of answering to the wishes of men (or anyone except her mother). It also makes no sense that she would give a fuck about some mission about stopping poison gas being created seeing as if Aery's were at large some scientist creating a fairly small time weapon would be basically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. And why does the Chris Pine character not seem to believe her and is focusing on his mission over hers? He has seen her magical island and has seen that she clearly has badass superpowers. He has also seen those women kicking arse, so how come he is so surprised that she can fight? Possibly because on the beach after thousands of years of training hard for battle instead of reacting to a male invader she strokes his face like she's a 16 year old mermaid before wandering around the beach confused and completely vulnerable as her sisters get attacked, only to be saved by said man with infinitely less fighting experience than her. I get it, it's new and all, but with that mindset every new soldier would be wandering around battle like lost puppies with targets on their backs.

To say stop critically thinking about this giant slap in the face of a movie is a similar mindset of politicians and religious types who tell women they should just "enjoy" being raped, or that women should see sexual harassment as flattering. I'm sorry, no, I will not switch off my brain like a good girl and try to enjoy watching a few hours of blatant sexism. I will not pretend I enjoy it because the men who wanted to make the film kindly allowed a female director to come in because it improved their marketing campaign as though that makes the blatant sexism ok. And I'm not going to act as though Gal Gadot has any acting skill simply because she's a woman in a lead role as a superhero.

What's irritating is that every man who has pointed this out publicly seems to have been bashed for "not being female" and has then been accused of sexism. Even women have told other women they should love the movie because they're women and tell them off for criticising it. It's like people are terrified of giving it an honest review and being treated like some awful sexist. Why can men not have an opinion on sexism against women? Some men actually pay attention to this stuff and care about the women in their lives. It bothers me that women are shutting them down when we should be inviting men in to discuss this sort of thing.
It's up to everyone whether they enjoy this movie or not, but it makes me sad that so many women either have such a shitty experience in life and such low expectations from films that they believe this is what liberation and empowerment looks like, or they will believe any media ad campaign and then sing its praises. Enjoy it or not, I hope that more women become aware that the film is nothing to do with feminism and Gal Gadot is not a feminist icon. She is a former beauty queen and supermodel who trained in a compulsory army that is very anti women's rights who got a lead role because of her looks. When she starts campaigning anything positive about women's rights maybe she will be, but so far she seems to just be keen on advertising her movie.

You're forgetting a few things in regards to the story:

- She's been sheltered her whole life on an island hidden from the world. She only knows what she had been taught, and understood. So, the first time she sees a man could be quite questionable.
- Her mission is entirely different than his. She's focused on destroying Aries, while Pine is focused on his mission for WW2. She has no concept of what life is like outside of her island. She has a lot of misunderstandings, etc. Think of how you would be going to someplace completely foreign, with societal rules and laws which are completely foreign to you which has more technology than you can comprehend.
- Superhero stories are filled with bad puns, misgivings, and not exactly politically correct things. Not to mention the storylines have huge holes in them. Thus, why I say sometimes it's better to "just watch" a movie and not compare it to what you perceive in real life.

As to your comparison between just watching a movie without critical thinking, and women "should just enjoy being raped or accept sexual harassment" is... I'm just going to not respond to that.

Reactions: AlexaCrush
You're forgetting a few things in regards to the story:

- She's been sheltered her whole life on an island hidden from the world. She only knows what she had been taught, and understood. So, the first time she sees a man could be quite questionable.
- Her mission is entirely different than his. She's focused on destroying Aries, while Pine is focused on his mission for WW2. She has no concept of what life is like outside of her island. She has a lot of misunderstandings, etc. Think of how you would be going to someplace completely foreign, with societal rules and laws which are completely foreign to you which has more technology than you can comprehend.
- Superhero stories are filled with bad puns, misgivings, and not exactly politically correct things. Not to mention the storylines have huge holes in them. Thus, why I say sometimes it's better to "just watch" a movie and not compare it to what you perceive in real life.

As to your comparison between just watching a movie without critical thinking, and women "should just enjoy being raped or accept sexual harassment" is... I'm just going to not respond to that.

But what she has been taught is that men are evil and not to be trusted, so why she might have had mixed feelings surely she would be more cautious than "ooohh a sexy man!". As far as she is aware this is the enemy that enslaved her people and the entire reason for them leaving the world. If you had been taught that message your entire life would you really act so doe eyed? While yes, she has been sheltered on the island, you have to remember that many strong communities within the world have been at points sheltered from others, but that did not make them any less fiesty when war did hit. Especially not in a community where she has been taught about war and trained to fight since childhood. The Amazons may have remained on the island, but they are not a small or peaceful people (while they have peace with one another).
I have been to many completely foreign places and have been in many situations with things I do not understand, while I have not been sheltered to the point of remaining on an island my entire life, cut off from the rest of the world, there are some places that I have been sheltered from my entire life. I did not wander around doe eyed like a tourist naively following anyone around, and I most certainly have responded appropriately in situations where violence has struck, even though I had no previous experience with that. Sure there might be new things that she would be working out and trying to understand, but she follows Chris Pine around like she's a little girl and he's her dad.
If you are referring to the DC superhero movies, then yes, because they are produced and directed by Zak Snyder who is notoriously sexist and pretty much produces lousy movies. I thought this was by far the worst that I have watched though. I did not find any problems with the Marvel female characters, black widow for example is a great character and Scarlett is a great actress. While it would be dark, it would be nice to see a movie dedicated to her.

Let's just put this film into a different category, say that the film is about a black person who lives within a community that has been isolated because they were enslaved by white people. All they have been taught is that white people are evil and will enslave them if they come here. If you swapped that entire movie around and you made the main character as white looking as a black person could be and gave them nearly every racist gender stereotype within their personality, then moved them away from their community and had the rest of the film being them and only white people around them save a couple of people (including the baddie), and that they basically mostly blindly do what the white people tell them. In this situation the film has been planned by white people, but they brought in a black director basically so they didn't get accused of racism, yet everyone else making was still white. And then they deliberately advertised the film as being great for black rights and pro equality. People might celebrate that a black director finally got to film something, but I can't believe that people would not be up in arms about that and would point out the film is racist. Nor would it be seen as a "just enjoy the film" situation. You're talking about a raw subject of slavery and stereotypes causing casual racism which is a real part of some people's lives. Women as a gender have only recently come out of enslavement which lasted thousands of years. Barely 50 years ago women in western culture were still not legally able to own or do certain things without their husbands permission. Even if a husband were abusive he could take her children from her if she decided to leave. Sexism may not be apparent for most men, but it is still very much there. It is a sensitive subject and not something which should be mocked. This may not be a big deal for you, and it's really easy to sit from your viewpoint and tell me to not take this film as a slap in the face, but from my viewpoint it is just reciting all the things that I have been fighting against my entire life. The major problem I have with this film is there are many men and women I have spoken to who now think this is what feminism looks like. Feminism seems to have a new face, and it's not Emma Watson speaking proudly about her beliefs and the hurdles she has faced. Nope, it's a sexy, scantily dressed supermodel who reverts back to ideals which women have been speaking out against for years. The creators of this icon? A group of notoriously sexist white men hiding behind the female director they hired for the role.

I don't think it's a bad thing to question what movies put in the content and what messages they send. The media has a huge impact on how people see themselves as they are growing up and once they are adults. We should not pretend that movies are "just movies". If you normalise racism or sexism in the media it does have a ripple effect. You could say that James Bond is just an innocent movie and that because it's an enjoyable film it's ok that he rapes Pussy Galore and it's seen as being romantic. Yet children watch that and idolise him as a character. One of the subjects I have studied is the media's effect on people, and it does across all ages change behaviour. While in adults that is very short term, with children that can be long term (remember that personality and free will always exist).
Feminism for example is an important campaign that focuses on a huge amount of issues, ranging from boys being bullied for not being macho enough to campaigning against negative gender stereotypes portrayed by the media and a whole load in between. But it is also a very fashionable campaign right now, many young men and women are excited about the changes with are coming about and are not accepting what was once seen as acceptable. I have noticed a lot of films made in the last five years have ceased to sexualise women and normalise violence against women. It's really incredible to watch, but scary to watch some films in similar categories made ten years ago which seem like one disgusting sexist joke after another as well as glorifying treating women like objects. Some directors and film makers understand what feminism means, but there are also many who have adopted the label to make more sales. The word and campaign is being hijacked by people who just don't give a fuck, which is not positive for anyone. It devalues the cause.
So I will question it, as I will question "just banter" or "just a joke" or "just trying to have fun, don't be so prude" after responding to a guy grabbing me sexually.

I am not someone to say that being male means you cannot have an opinion on this film or on my views, but please understand that what to you is just a silly film, it means something different to me. You are also a white American male, and in this film the white American male was the clear hero from the start. He appeared to have no flaws, was intelligent and strong and got the girl. There were frequent moments where he undermined her or told her to shut up and was shown as being right. While everyone else from other culture or gender basically got mocked or shown as disgustingly sexual, sexist pigs. Though I actually found his sexism to be more true to real life as it's the underlying sexism, not what is obvious to look at. You'd probably only notice it if you were the recipient. The person you are most likely to relate to was shown as being a great character through the movie. That was what I wanted when I watched the movie. I wanted to watch someone of my gender who was strong and funny and who seemed comfortable within their own skin. I wanted someone who's looks were secondary to their personality. You got that, I did not, and I have every reason to be disappointed. You probably think my comment about the politicians and enjoying sexual violence is extreme, and it is. Of course this is not on the same level, but it is of the same mindset. It's "well we're enjoying ourselves, why can you not just enjoy it?" without thinking of it from the other person's perspective. The film was more of a Chris Pine war movie with Wonder Woman thrown into the mix as a glossy side character and Bond girl type, which was not what it was advertised as.

I thought this was by far the worst that I have watched though.

This somehow manages to be the most insane line in your rants about the movie. Not worth discussing it not following what you deem as feminism but like, really? It was worse than Suicide Squad? I didn't even like the movie as much as most critics but worse than Suicide Squad, really? Did you forget Jared Leto attempting to be Joker? Worse than the silliness that was Martha? I know superhero movies are mostly meant to be dumb fun, Citizen Kane they aren't, but man were those movies bad.

Is it possible that your dislike of Gal impacted your ability to enjoy the movie? Seems like you went in wanting to hate it. I think Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor made it harder for me to enjoy Batman v Superman. Hated dude in everything except the Now You See Me movies. Always seemed like an off brand version of Michael Cera to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.