AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Food You Hated As A Kid But Now Enjoy?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it so strange how many parents will continue to make food their children despise and then insist they eat it. I understand insisting they at least try it but if your past that... why keep insisting your kid try to eat that thing you know they hate?

My parents' rule growing up was that I had to at least give it a legitimate taste try. If I didn't like it, then I could skip that and eat other parts of the meal. Or, if it was an entire meal I didn't like, and my parents knew it, I was free to make something else such as PB&J sandwich. The caveat to it was if I ever said "Yuck!", I had to eat it. No matter if I didn't like it and they knew it. Was a respect thing. Same was applied to my child when they were growing up.

Everything. As a kid I was a picky and finicky eater. It didn't help that my mom was a terrible cook. Somewhere in my late teens I started eating damn near anything. It's gotta be something really weird for me to not at least try it. And when in doubt pour gravy or a sauce on it.

Everything. As a kid I was a picky and finicky eater. It didn't help that my mom was a terrible cook. Somewhere in my late teens I started eating damn near anything. It's gotta be something really weird for me to not at least try it. And when in doubt pour gravy or a sauce on it.

McIlheny's Tabasco sauce does wonders. ;)

Weirdly, my tastes haven't changed since childhood. I'm the "adventurous" eater in my family. I'll try anything once (provided it won't make me sick).

I cannot stand peas, however. The texture is mashy and clumpy and ewwwww.

I always thought it so strange how many parents will continue to make food their children despise and then insist they eat it. I understand insisting they at least try it but if your past that... why keep insisting your kid try to eat that thing you know they hate?
Ma cooked for a family of 7, which in hindsight, did so very well on a limited budget. I either ate what was prepared or went hungry. Their insistence I ate was more a concern about my nutritional needs.

Ive kinda helped to raise a little person and in my house you have to at least try something once. If you don't like it fine carry on with what else is on your plate. My only stipulation to this is that I reserve the right to ask you to try it again a year or so down the road. So this particular kids doesn't like spaghetti (didn't then and doesn't now 10 years later) so when it is made she has to make her own dinner. Even as young as 5 we would go into the kitchen and she had to help make her own pb and j or learn to heat up a hotdog in the microwave bc its fine for her to say ive tried it and don't like it but its not okay to expect me to make a second meal for you. Also when I did make other meals that I knew the kid wasn't crazy about Id always make sure there were at least 2 sides that she did like so it wasn't an always make your own type situation, like I know you don't like bbq chicken but you can eat the green beans and corn and mashed potatoes.

Okay so I feel like I went a little off topic there. I think I got lucky growing up bc my mom really didn't cook much so we ate out like 90% of the time. I wasn't an adventurous eater but I wasn't overly picky either. I guess one thing that comes to mind is greenbean casserole, hated it then but now I make it every couple of months. Olives, coconut and any kind of jelly/jam I didn't like then and still don't care for now.

View attachment 78006

????

I love this stuff, a family friend's mama used to make it for us anytime we were at their house.
we call those Sarmale in Romania, they are one of traditional food for christmas. Some say if u come to Romania shouldnt miss these. Might be cooked diferent and also the meat inside its not plain meat.

When i was a kid i didnt like the parsil and green stuff in soups, still not a fan of soups, but when i eat now i want a full mouth of those

• Hugs
Reactions: AmberCutie
We make a version with vine leaves too.
vine and also linden leaves here. these in summer mostly, sour cabage in winter they are more greasy and more tasty the winter ones haha:) my husband absolutely loves them. I usually cook like 100-150 of those, hes having them breakfast lunch and dinner and snacks between them :D:D:D:D

vine and also linden leaves here. these in summer mostly, sour cabage in winter they are more greasy and more tasty the winter ones haha:) my husband absolutely loves them. I usually cook like 100-150 of those, hes having them breakfast lunch and dinner and snacks between them :D:D:D:D
Yup, filled with rice, with yogurt on the side, Yaprak in Turkish. Romanian, Moroccan, Bulgarian, Greek, many ethnicities have their version, as I grow sizes on the way :)

Rice filled leaves with vines and yogurt on the side sounds like something the idiot elite would pay big bucks for.

It's a very home made dish, however rolling it is a lot of work. You can get canned versions of them as well, and they are delicious.
There are at least 15 different versions of it beneath my apartment in the Levinsky market. My favorite however, is the Kurdish. Yum !

yaprak.jpg

the leaves not crispy. the vines or linder have the meat leas greasy. long story sort. we get grounded pork meat. mix it with salt peper, thyme, onion, egg some tomato sauce mix all. the get the meat rolled on all versions of leaves we mentioned. then just put it in a big pot. f they are for winter we also put grease ham in the pot. the pot in romania is usually mud one. and in oven boil those for 4-5 hours. then yes eat those with sour cream warm or cold. trust me guys its a delight:) tell me wrong @Dan Epstein ( whoever visits romania, ill advertise, free sarmale to my place, just message me)

the leaves not crispy. the vines or linder have the meat leas greasy. long story sort. we get grounded pork meat. mix it with salt peper, thyme, onion, egg some tomato sauce mix all. the get the meat rolled on all versions of leaves we mentioned. then just put it in a big pot. f they are for winter we also put grease ham in the pot. the pot in romania is usually mud one. and in oven boil those for 4-5 hours. then yes eat those with sour cream warm or cold. trust me guys its a delight:) tell me wrong @Dan Epstein ( whoever visits romania, ill advertise, free sarmale to my place, just message me)

I would love to try it!

You and Dan make it sound so good... any recipe requiring that much time and attention is probably delicious.

I would come close to blowing chunks whenever my mom made tuna and noodles... now I love it. The only way I could eat it as a kid was to douse it in ketchup.

Still despise pea soup though.
Asparagus, my folks would try to make me eat them as a kid, I would gag and partially puke so they gave up. Now they are one of my favorite veggies.

Reactions: Useful-Title
I didn't start liking avocados until high school. i thought they were too slimy, but I love them now. Mushrooms are sort of inching their way in, but I only like portobello, white, and cremini so far depending on how I cook it.

There was also this bass soup my mom would make and my brother and I thought it was so gross because of the texture of the fish. Started to like it later on, but now I'm vegan lol.

Mine is broccoli. My parents always made me stay at the table until I'd finished it and I would sneakily feed it to my dog. Now though I love it, I can put it on anything or even eat it on its own.

Spicy foods.

Not because I don’t like them but because I am a weirdo with a super sensitive tongue (super taster as I learned :wtf:).

I’m slowly but surely starting to enjoy pepper. Just basic, straight from the little shaker on the kitchen table pepper.

I had a real problem with some of the vegetables my Mom cooked: broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, and brussels sprouts to be exact. She cooked them all wet and buttered and they might have even been canned. I'm talking gagging and trying to get them down so I can exit the table. Some days I just couldn't get them down which kind of ruined the family dinner--my parents would just give up because I would almost throw up.

I've learned to love every one of them (aside from brussels sprouts which I'm looking in to after some advice on this thread) if I cook them raw on the stove top. So tasty and the natural juices flow and enhance my meal and they are supposed to be good for you.

One the other side of the spectrum, I used to love Braunschweiger (I guess North American? I didn't know there were other types) and loved eating it sliced, straight from the fridge and cold, on two pieces of bread with some heinz hot sauce. I learned later that it was basically liver, and for some reason that just freaked me out. I was eating liver willing! LOL. I remember being served cooked liver and not really liking it all that much but it wasn't any worse than the meatloaf (I always added tons of ketchup).

edit to add: Some days driving with my Mom we pass by buildings that were once bar/restaurants that have since closed. She can recall, back in the day, those places where she ate fried cow brains! It was like a sandwich. She's like late 70s so she survived it, but any talk of brains makes me think of Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom. :)

Last edited:
I really can’t think of anything. In fact, just the opposite... I used to love hot dogs as a kid. When my aunt was a teenager and babysat me, she cut up hot dogs for me and called them “finger dogs.” We even made up a little song about them. “Fiiinger dooogs...” Lol. But now I absolutely do not like hot dogs.

Used to love Kit Kat bars as a kid too, but now you couldn’t pay me to eat them. Just lost interest and got tired of them. Now I’m all about Hershey’s with almonds, and the milk chocolate M&Ms in the brown bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.